Ciardasully

Carnival Glory Review-Eastern Caribbean Jan 27-Feb 3

Hello! My name is Kerry and my husband Bryon (bmckim) and I just returned from our first cruise, which was the Carnival Glory/Eastern Caribbean. It was also our honeymoon cruise!

A little background. Bryon is an attorney and I work in an office at a local medical center. We live in Albany, NY with a our cat. We had actually gotten married in September but chose to wait until January for our honeymoon because the fall is Bryon's busy time at work. Plus, as anyone who lives up North knows, the winter is cold here in the winter. We are talking single digit and even negative temperatures.

We planned our cruise about a year prior and during that time, we read lots of reviews here on Cruise Critic. I enjoyed reading these reviews and wanted to pay it forward, especially those who may be first time cruisers. We wanted to share our story.

As I said, this was our first cruise. We had no prior cruises to compare things too. Therefore, we did not notice any cuts in service.

One last thing, crowds are not my favorite thing. We had booked a balcony and therefore, I did not spend time around the pool unless I was swimming. I preferred to sit on my balcony. I can not comment as to whether there were chair hogs or whether the 40 minute limit was enforced. I guess if I put a towel to reserve the lounger on our balcony, Bryon most likely would have removed it after 40 minutes.

I hope you enjoy my review. I will have lots of photos so it may take me several days to complete this review. Bryon will also be chiming in too. I just wanted to warn you. So stay tuned!

We did arrive in Florida two days before the cruise set sail. We decided to do a quick side trip to Key West. We drove down to Newark, NJ on Thursday night and stayed at a Fairfield Inn Marriott-Newark Airport that provided a shuttle to Newark Airport. Also, they let you keep you car in their parking lot.

We flew out at 6:30 am to Fort Lauderdale and arrived around 9:30 am. We picked up our rental (a convertible!) and then we headed to the Keys.

HoneymoonCruise014.jpg

HoneymoonCruise015.jpg

We had decided to stay at Papa's Hideaway because the hotels were really expensive. Papa's Hideaway was downtown and literally two blocks from the Southernmost Point. Here are a few pics of our room. There is a pool on the property and if you decide to go swimming, be careful. The floors get slippery. We learned the hard way!

HoneymoonCruise019.jpg

HoneymoonCruise020.jpg

I may live in New York now but I am a New England girl (born in Boston, moved to Maine as a kid) and since US Route 1 is a major road in Maine, I wanted to get my picture by the beginning of US Route 1. I have been to the end of US Route 1 in Fort Kent, ME and I was so excited to see the beginning.

HoneymoonCruise023.jpg

We then walked to Mallory Square and saw the sunset.

HoneymoonCruise037.jpg

After we had dinner at Amigo's Tortilla Bar. It was so good. I could not finish my food. My eyes were bigger than my belly! Bryon was smart and only got three tacos but the platter was only a dollar or two more. I should have just had the tree tacos!

HoneymoonCruise051.jpg

We then went to a few bars until we wound up at a Red Sox bar! My kind of place.

HoneymoonCruise057.jpg

The next morning we went to the Southernmost point.

HoneymoonCruise071.jpg

We then had breakfast at Croissant de France and then went to The Hemingway House.

HoneymoonCruise080.jpg

HoneymoonCruise108.jpg

Kitty! And there were lots more of them!

HoneymoonCruise083.jpg

And then we were off to Miami! Our stay in Key West was fun and I look forward to going there as a stop on a cruise but I am content not doing the drive again. It was beautiful but long!

HoneymoonCruise127.jpg

We got a good rate at the Ritz Carlton in Coral Gables. It was still a little more than most of the other hotels but we thought that since it was our honeymoon, we may as well live it up. Here is a pic of our room. Quite a contrast from the night before!

HoneymoonCruise137.jpg

We then decided to get a late lunch in Little Havana and then we took a spin down South Beach. And we got to see a Carnival ship leaving!

HoneymoonCruise146.jpg

Just curious if this looks familiar to anyone...

HoneymoonCruise161.jpg

We had dinner at a El Carajo International Tapas and Wine. It's crazy because it is a fancy restaurant in the back of a gas station. You wouldn't even know it was there. We were definitely the least dressed people there. The food was delicious. Unfortunately I did not get any photos.

And lastly, the geek in me got excited at seeing the Southern End of Interstate 95.

HoneymoonCruise167.jpg

Up next: Boarding!

We got up the next morning and went to church and then had breakfast at Versailles. Luckily we didn't get caught in any Miami Marathon traffic. We dropped our rental car off at Miami Airport and then took the Alamo shuttle to the Port. Yay!

HoneymoonCruise172.jpg

Debarkation craziness!