Norwegian Gem Extended Hurricane Sandy Cruise Review with Photos!

YankeeFan4Ever

Boston bound

October 30th was a quiet sea day for us. The weather was cold, rainy and windy, so we spent much of our time indoors playing trivia and reading. Since we were unable to return back to New York, and many passengers were from that area, the mood aboard the ship was definitely becoming more anxious. My wife and I felt horrible for the people who had no idea if their family, friends and even their homes would be there when they returned. I’m sure it was a feeling of helplessness for those stuck on the ship. Norwegian did try to help by offering free internet and phone calls so passengers could check up on their families back home, make alternate flight arrangements or notify their workplaces of their absences.

During the day, we spoke to several very nice passengers who were completely dejected having gone through Hurricane Irene the previous year. :(

After dinner in the Grand Pacific, the Captain announced that we’d be docking in Boston in the morning to take on a few supplies and to refuel. The Port in New York was still closed, however he informed us that passengers who wished to debark in Boston and make their own way home could do so. The other option, which we chose, was to spend the day in Boston (as a regular port day) and return to the Gem by 11:30 PM, for a midnight sail away without knowing when we’d be allowed back in NYC.

Edited by YankeeFan4Ever

Love reading this.

We were home during the storm, waiting for any information, since we booked the week after you.

We finally did get to board and go onto Bermuda!

I booked the same cruise, same week for this year. Only difference will be the cabin.

I am determined to get to the Caribbean from NYC!!

Boston bound

October 30th was a quiet sea day for us. The weather was cold, rainy and windy, so we spent much of our time indoors playing trivia and reading. Since we were unable to return back to New York, and many passengers were from that area, the mood aboard the ship was definitely becoming more anxious. My wife and I felt horrible for the people who had no idea if their family, friends and even their homes would be there when they returned. I’m sure it was a feeling of helplessness for those stuck on the ship. Norwegian did try to help by offering free internet and phone calls so passengers could check up on their families back home, make alternate flight arrangements or notify their workplaces of their absences.

During the day, we spoke to several very nice passengers who were completely dejected having gone through Hurricane Irene the previous year. :(

After dinner in the Grand Pacific, the Captain announced that we’d be docking in Boston in the morning to take on a few supplies and to refuel. The Port in New York was still closed, however he informed us that passengers who wished to debark in Boston and make their own way home could do so. The other option, which we chose, was to spend the day in Boston (as a regular port day) and return to the Gem by 11:30 PM, for a midnight sail away without knowing when we’d be allowed back in NYC.

I was on the 16-night Colonial America sailing on the Dawn, and you were docked right in front of us in Boston Harbor. We saw all sorts of news coverage aboard ship about how you were "stranded at sea," so it was nice to see the Gem safe and sound. Thanks for the review!

Love reading this.

We were home during the storm, waiting for any information, since we booked the week after you.

We finally did get to board and go onto Bermuda!

I booked the same cruise, same week for this year. Only difference will be the cabin.

I am determined to get to the Caribbean from NYC!!

I'm sure you'll make it! Enjoy your cruise! :)

I was on the 16-night Colonial America sailing on the Dawn, and you were docked right in front of us in Boston Harbor. We saw all sorts of news coverage aboard ship about how you were "stranded at sea," so it was nice to see the Gem safe and sound. Thanks for the review!

Thanks! Glad you're enjoying the review!

Halloween in Beantown

After being at sea for 5 straight days, my wife and I were eager to disembark the Gem and stretch our legs out in Boston.

With no real plans for the day, we walked through the cruise terminal and found a free shuttle service that would bring us to the Quincy market and surrounding areas. Since we’d never been to Boston, we figured we’d take the shuttle and go exploring on our own.

Side Note

Now, when I say I’m a die hard NY Yankees fan, I mean it. Because of this, it’s in my DNA to basically dislike anything that comes from Boston. I root against all the Boston based teams including the Celtics, the Bruins, the Patriots and especially the Red Sox. I’m not even particularly fond of Boston terriers and I go so far as to not eat Boston leaf lettuce. :p (I kid of course) So naturally, I was a little apprehensive to head out and take in the sights.

Well, let me say this…Boston is a charming city! I was pleasantly surprised at how nice the neighborhood around Quincy market was and how friendly the people were. We walked down Hanover Street all the way to the waterfront and back while checking out the pastry and coffee shops along the way. My wife and I both agreed we’d love to spend more time in Boston.

Tony Demarco Statue

x2quz8.jpg

Paul Revere Statue

2wlugrp.jpg

Hanover Street

2lik6ck.jpg

Fire Station

2ujjjpf.jpg

Cemetery

2qi8u4h.jpg

Now, when I say I’m a die hard NY Yankees fan, I mean it. Because of this, it’s in my DNA to basically dislike anything that comes from Boston. I root against all the Boston based teams including the Celtics, the Bruins, the Patriots and especially the Red Sox. I’m not even particularly fond of Boston terriers and I go so far as to not eat Boston leaf lettuce. :p (I kid of course) So naturally, I was a little apprehensive to head out and take in the sights.

Well, let me say this…Boston is a charming city! I was pleasantly surprised at how nice the neighborhood around Quincy market was and how friendly the people were. We walked down Hanover Street all the way to the waterfront and back while checking out the pastry and coffee shops along the way. My wife and I both agreed we’d love to spend more time in Boston.

That is................if we let you in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;)

November 1st

After a relaxing day in Boston, we spent the next sea day lounging around the ship. The weather was still cool and windy so we just played some trivia indoors and watched a few movies in our cabin. The Gem seemed much less crowded since many of the passengers chose to debark in Boston. Out of curiosity, we asked Guest Relations and they told us nearly half the passengers decided to find their own way home.

By the afternoon, the Captain came over the PA and informed us that the Manhattan Cruise Terminal was now open and that we’d be returning to NYC immediately with a scheduled arrival time of 7:00 AM the next morning. My wife and I were at the same time relieved and sad that our extended cruise was about to come to an end.

We decided that since this was officially our last night aboard the Gem, we would get dressed up and go out with a bang! We had our last dinner at the Grand Pacific restaurant then drinks in the atrium, a show in the theatre followed by more drinks and some nice piano tunes by Jay Chalmers at Magnum’s Champagne bar. If you ever get lucky enough to cruise with Jay Chalmers do not miss his Frank Sinatra tribute show, it's fantastic! When he learned that I was a huge Sinatra fan, he invited me up to sing "That's Life" with him! What a great guy!

Our last night aboard the Gem

mbh4w4.jpg

Before heading to bed, we inquired with Guest Services regarding the debarkation process and discrepancy I’d noticed while looking at our onboard account statement. It seemed that for the 4 extra days we’d been on the ship, no daily service charges were posted to our account. We were under the impression that since the staff was still busy cleaning, cooking and entertaining us during those extra days that the auto-tips would remain in place. The nice lady at the desk told us that no, they had not been charged to anyone's account. When I asked why, she informed us that people would have complained had they been charged for the extra days…I couldn’t believe what I was hearing! I asked her to please reinstate both of our service charges for the 4 days to ensure that the people who made our vacation amazing were taken care of. After all, the hurricane wasn’t their fault.

We proceeded back to our cabin to pack up our belongings and get some sleep to be ready for the arrival in New York.

Coming up: The lights are out in NYC

Awesome review! Thanks for taking time to post it....us Canadians really are the best lol...

Can't wait to be on The Gem in April (did you happen to see anything about a Pub Crawl?) this is our 3rd cruise, but 1st with NCL. We too prefer to drive down from Tdot and take ships out of NYC...

so, can we park at your Pop's :p

Thx again...

Your review is amazing it reads like a novel! I have to agree about the DSC very classy but then again I would expect nothing else from a Yankee die hard fan. I am born and raised in the Bronx and I am now In Fort Lee NJ neighboring town to Edgewater..love that town :)

We love the Gem and love Sinan. Thanks for the great reading.

Thank you so much for your wonderful review of the Gem's Hurricane Sandy cruise. Being an avid cruiser and loving the Gem, we were thinking of all of you sailing the evening of Oct. 29th. What a ride! Good for you reinstating the tips for your cruise crew, I bet you made them very happy !

November 1st After a relaxing day in Boston, we spent the next sea day lounging around the ship.

YankeeFan, from a Yankee Fan in Brooklyn to you here is a shot of you arriveing taken from the Carribean Princess with NCL Dawn in the shot as well. The RCL ship left early in the morning. Thanks for the great review.

BTW both the Gem and Princess arrived back in NYC at about the same time (one after the other) Gem docked first.

The pickup in the shot is used by the Longshoremen to pull lines tight when tieing up.

DSCF0061_zps69e0472b.jpg

We were also on the Summit as you went buy us on the way out of NY. We came back to NY on the 27 so had no problem, that is till Sandy came into town, but people who were staying in San Juan for a few days were worried. Very nice review, you have a great attitude about being stuck on the ship, some folks would blame the ship, NCL, crew etc.

Reinstating the service charge was a really classy thing to do!! Not many people would have done that.. :D

Thanks, it was the least we could do for the hardworking staff of the Gem. We even tipped our room steward an extra $25 cash at the end of the cruise because he was so good to us for 13 days.

Awesome review! Thanks for taking time to post it....us Canadians really are the best lol...

Can't wait to be on The Gem in April (did you happen to see anything about a Pub Crawl?) this is our 3rd cruise, but 1st with NCL. We too prefer to drive down from Tdot and take ships out of NYC...

so, can we park at your Pop's :p

Thx again...

Thanks! We did indeed hear about the Pub Crawl, however I can't recall what night it took place.

LOL, I wish I could help you with the parking but you need a visitors pass from the concierge's desk.

Your review is amazing it reads like a novel! I have to agree about the DSC very classy but then again I would expect nothing else from a Yankee die hard fan. I am born and raised in the Bronx and I am now In Fort Lee NJ neighboring town to Edgewater..love that town :)

We love the Gem and love Sinan. Thanks for the great reading.

Thanks! Glad you're enjoying the review! :)

Thank you so much for your wonderful review of the Gem's Hurricane Sandy cruise. Being an avid cruiser and loving the Gem, we were thinking of all of you sailing the evening of Oct. 29th. What a ride! Good for you reinstating the tips for your cruise crew, I bet you made them very happy !

Thanks for the kind words! :)

Thanks! We did indeed hear about the Pub Crawl, however I can't recall what night it took place.

LOL, I wish I could help you with the parking but you need a visitors pass from the concierge's desk.

I know right hehe...we now stay a night before in NYC and park at the hotel for free :)

Hats off to you for acknowledging the staff above and beyond :)

YankeeFan, from a Yankee Fan in Brooklyn to you here is a shot of you arriveing taken from the Carribean Princess with NCL Dawn in the shot as well. The RCL ship left early in the morning. Thanks for the great review.

BTW both the Gem and Princess arrived back in NYC at about the same time (one after the other) Gem docked first.

The pickup in the shot is used by the Longshoremen to pull lines tight when tieing up.

DSCF0061_zps69e0472b.jpg

Thanks for posting the pic of us pulling into Boston!