Willemstad Synagogue on Our Own or Jewish Heritage Tour Info needed.

GiannaD

We have booked a Curacao Island Tour from 8:30-11:00 on a Wednesday. The tour concludes with a drive through the city center.

We are considering remaining in the city after the tour and getting back to the ship on our own. The ship sails at 5:00pm so there should be enough time.

We particularly want to visit the Mikve Israel Emmanuel Synagogue, gift shop and museum. Where is it located in Willemstad? Is it near the city center? Where would we go to catch a taxi or other transportation back to the ship. Walking from the city center to the ship across the floating bridge would likely be too challenging for my husband so any suggestions or information on how to make this visit happen without walking back to the ship would be really appreciated.

If being dropped off is not feasible would we do better to return to the dock with the tour and then get a cab to take us to the Synagogue and ask the driver too drop us off and then pick us up at a predetermined time? How long should we plan for a visit? Has anybody done this? Any idea of the cost?

I would prefer a Jewish Heritage tour but can't seem to find any. Anybody know of any tours that are available? (Apparently Gigi is no longer offering her tours.)

Your advice will be greatly appreciated.

We are also interested, and I found that the synagogue has a great website: http://www.snoa.com/snoa.html with a lot of history, gift shop and other info. I would call or email them; we may just get a taxi and go!

Synagogue Mikvé Israel-Emanuel

Curaçao,

Netherlands AntillesTel: 599-9-4611067E-mail: Mikvé Israel-Emanuel Synagogue and/or congregation: info@snoa.com

"The Snoa and its adjacent Jewish Historical Cultural Museum, are open to visitors on weekdays from 9:00 AM to 4:30 PM. A small entrance fee is charged for the maintenance of these historical buildings.

Both are closed (for tourism) on Saturdays, Sundays, Jewish Festivals and public holidays. The Snoa is also open, but only for worship services, on the Shabbat [Friday evenings from 6:30 to 7:45 PM and on Saturday mornings from 10:00 AM to 12:00 noon] and on the first (and last days) of a Jewish Festival.. (Appropriately dressed) worshipers are most welcome to join the congregation in worship".

Hope this helps!

Elisse & Dan

We have booked a Curacao Island Tour from 8:30-11:00 on a Wednesday. The tour concludes with a drive through the city center.

We are considering remaining in the city after the tour and getting back to the ship on our own. The ship sails at 5:00pm so there should be enough time.

We particularly want to visit the Mikve Israel Emmanuel Synagogue, gift shop and museum. Where is it located in Willemstad? Is it near the city center? Where would we go to catch a taxi or other transportation back to the ship. Walking from the city center to the ship across the floating bridge would likely be too challenging for my husband so any suggestions or information on how to make this visit happen without walking back to the ship would be really appreciated.

If being dropped off is not feasible would we do better to return to the dock with the tour and then get a cab to take us to the Synagogue and ask the driver too drop us off and then pick us up at a predetermined time? How long should we plan for a visit? Has anybody done this? Any idea of the cost?

I would prefer a Jewish Heritage tour but can't seem to find any. Anybody know of any tours that are available? (Apparently Gigi is no longer offering her tours.)

Your advice will be greatly appreciated.

We are also interested, and I found that the synagogue has a great website: http://www.snoa.com/snoa.html with a lot of history, gift shop and other info. I would call or email them; we may just get a taxi and go!

Synagogue Mikvé Israel-Emanuel

Curaçao,

Netherlands AntillesTel: 599-9-4611067E-mail: Mikvé Israel-Emanuel Synagogue and/or congregation: info@snoa.com

"The Snoa and its adjacent Jewish Historical Cultural Museum, are open to visitors on weekdays from 9:00 AM to 4:30 PM. A small entrance fee is charged for the maintenance of these historical buildings.

Both are closed (for tourism) on Saturdays, Sundays, Jewish Festivals and public holidays. The Snoa is also open, but only for worship services, on the Shabbat [Friday evenings from 6:30 to 7:45 PM and on Saturday mornings from 10:00 AM to 12:00 noon] and on the first (and last days) of a Jewish Festival.. (Appropriately dressed) worshipers are most welcome to join the congregation in worship".

Hope this helps!

Elisse & Dan

I contacted Gigi Scheper who does Jewish Heritage tours in Curacao. She sent the following reply today. It sounds like a great tour. The Celebrity Eclipse will be in Curacao Wednesday March 6. I got her address from the Eclipse Roll Call. Her email address is gigischeper@hotmail.com

Thank you for your email.

I am trying to form a group as I have more requests of your cruise ship .

Here is my tour description :

Beth Haim Cemetery ,oldest in walled Jewish Cemetery of the Western Hemisphere dating to 1659.

Mongui Maduro Museum /Library ,situated in an old Landhuis [plantation house ] used as vacation retreats in thesyummer by the Jews living in town.

Curacao Liqueur Factory ,home of the World Famous Blue Curacao ,invented by a Jewish Family and share holders in present Holding Company for 95 % Jewish.

Drive through the old Jewish Neighborhood of Schaarloo 850 -1970

Mikve Israel Emanuel and Jewish Historical Cultural Museum.

Transportation as well as entrance fees included $ 65 per person.

If I get 20 people I can lower the fee to $ 55 .

Please advice if I have to reserve place for you.

Regards,

Gigi

Archived