Seat Savers Beware!

Aquahound

RCI came up with a clever way of fighting seat savers in the theater, at least, they did on Liberty. A member of the cruise director staff dresses up in a police uniform and writes tickets to people. The tickets may be phony, but with a little bit of whistle blowing and shouting, the offender is thoroughly embarassed. Lets hope this catches on across the fleet. It also makes for some good pre-show entertainment. ;)

I wish I'd have seen that on my sailing. We encountered many people saving 4 or more seats in a row in the theater. Being the nice people we are, we looked elsewhere for a seat but not before we verbally told the offender that seat saving wasn't allowed. Yes, confrontation is not our thing and that's why we didn't force the issue.

I wish I'd have seen that on my sailing. We encountered many people saving 4 or more seats in a row in the theater. Being the nice people we are, we looked elsewhere for a seat but not before we verbally told the offender that seat saving wasn't allowed. Yes, confrontation is not our thing and that's why we didn't force the issue.

You are nicer than I am. I just sit down.

Found my story from another thread...

I did that. A woman was sitting in the middle of a row telling everyone that the whole row was "saved", so I sat down and said thanks for saving it for me.

She said she was going to go get security and have me thrown out. I invited her to do so and assumed she'd get the same response as I would've got for complaining about her... nothing.

About 20 minutes later, she was still alone. A couple was looking for 2 seats and I told them the seats next to us were free, so they sat down. She came down and told them to leave or she'd call security on them. They started to stand up and I said "Really? You caved like that? You're not allowed to send someone down and save an entire row, so she's in the wrong. Enjoy your seat." The wife laughed and they sat back down.

The woman abandoned the row at that point.

THEN WE ALL GOT HAULED TO THE BRIG BY SECURITY AND THE CAPTAIN SCOLDED US SEVERELY. WE RECEIVED 20 LASHES AND HAD TO WALK THE PLANK!

Right... nothing happened.

I can't tell you how annoyed I was with a man and his son on Freedom just recently. The man marched his self right up to the front of the line and told the doorman he should be able to cut in front of the rest of us with his party of 15 because he had made reservations! I told him I had also made reservation but I had made it a point of arriving very early so why should he cut in front of me...."Why I'm with a whole family" he said....then just stayed there while we waited, me getting steamed:mad:

He stayed long enough that when the doors opened, he and his son stormed the doorman, cut in front of us and they proceeded to hold an entire row of seats in Studio B for their party. They had no shame either while the announcer cautioned that no seats were to be saved. Where's that tazor......;) Entitlement is a real kicker with me:cool:

At least it is a novel attempt at drawing attention to the issue. It is funny though, as we have encountered (as everyone has) the "violators" without any recourse. But the one time they enforced it was with my wife's chair as she was in the pool swimming 10 feet away. A "hello - I'm right here" fortunately was all it took for him to return the towel to her chair. :)

I understand Royal Caribbean do not have enough staff to sort out every little incident and cannot upset valuable customers, but I do wish they would at least have a word to people that are this rude!

If a large family must sit together they just have to all arrive a bit earlier and wait in the seats - not the greatest hardship in the world. If there was a toddler in the group I am sure people would not mind them going for a quick walk around while they wait but why can't adults handle it?

Just curious (being a newbie), when you're talking about seat saving, it doesn't apply if hubby and I get seats and I have to go to the bathroom before the show starts, does it? Seems kind of silly if someone takes my seat because I had to pee :eek:

I really don't think so. The "cop" was targeting the people saving several seats.

Funny thing, he also ran 2 unattended kids out of the front row. They had to walk with their hands up in the air while he held them at banana point.

RCI came up with a clever way of fighting seat savers in the theater, at least, they did on Liberty. A member of the cruise director staff dresses up in a police uniform and writes tickets to people. The tickets may be phony, but with a little bit of whistle blowing and shouting, the offender is thoroughly embarassed. Lets hope this catches on across the fleet. It also makes for some good pre-show entertainment. ;)

YEAH! Love that they are enforcing this!

It almost sounds like KROOZ KOMICS are making a comeback! :D :eek: ;)

No, one person saving a seat for one other person isn't the problem. The problem is with groups who send one person to save a whole row of seats until the others get good & ready to show up--sometimes after the show has started, and then they stand up and rearrange several times before they decide who should sit next to whom. Disrupting for the whole theatre. But like they'll tell you, they paid for their cruise so they should get to do whatever they want. I guess they assume the rest of us cruise for free, so we should just put up with them!

Very few of us get upset about someone saving seats for a few other people. But like anything else people will take advantage and do it in excess. To me I feel insulted when someone has the nerve to tell me they are in charge of a whole row of empty seats and I can't sit there. And they don't have an RCCL name tage on them. The only authority they have to do that is what we allow them.

We were in Studio B one time looking for seats for an ice show. We headed down to the front where one lady blocked off the first two complete rows for their group of 29 people. She scolded anyone who tried to sit down.

We found seats elsewhere till the show almost began, then we went and sat down anyway. The rest of her group never showed up.

Very nice. I can't wait to capture this on video to place on YouTube and Cruise Critic :)

Archived