Gym Rats, how do you behave on vacation?

• 2 weeks later...

Just wondering how many sets of gym clothes you bring? We will be on a 7 day cruise and will probably work out/run 5 times. The last time we were at a hotel, I tried washing my gym clothes in the sink and hanging them up, but it seemed like it took a LONG time for them to dry.

Any tips on which tops and sports bras dry out the quickest?

Thank you.

Just wondering how many sets of gym clothes you bring? We will be on a 7 day cruise and will probably work out/run 5 times. The last time we were at a hotel, I tried washing my gym clothes in the sink and hanging them up, but it seemed like it took a LONG time for them to dry.

Thank you.

My gym outfits don't take that much space so I bring a set of 5 for a 7 day cruise. I pack shorts/skorts which are very light, I have some VS sports bras that are just wonderful! Dry really fast if you decide to wash them and just regular tank tops that again don't take much space. I even bring my Heart Rate Monitor to make sure I am where I am supposed to be at.

• 2 months later...

at home i go to the gym for 3 hours a day, 6 days a week. on a cruise i still try to get to the gym daily but i don't do 3 hours ..usually 2. but i walk up the stairs and i could happily walk around the promenade decks for hours on sea days. i swim more too.

as for food i let myself eat and drink what i want on the first day, the middle day and the last day and then i'm a little more careful and make better choices on the other days. i've been known to come home a few pounds lighter than when i left so it's seems to be working for me :cool:

sorry...1,000 miles a year. I log mine so that I always know where I'm at and its motivation as well.

As far as treadmills I go at noon when most are eating and have never had to wait...not once.

I also enjoy running ashore.

LOL--You really had me wondering there. I typically put on about 30-35 a week and couldn't figure out for the life of me how you were running more than a marathon a day!

Thank you.

Anything made of a tech fabrics should dry within 12 hours, tops. My Under Armor running shorts and tanks, Moving Comfort sports bras, and Wright Socks all take maybe six hours to hang dry completely.

Thank you.

I got this tip on Cruise Critic and put it to use last week on my cruise. I rinse/wash my workout clothes, after I have wrung out as much water as I can, I roll the piece of clothing up using a dry towel. I do the rolling a few times and then hang up the clothes in the closet and they are dry within a few hours, and definitely by the next day that I need to work out. I could have gotten away with one set of workout clothes!

I got this tip on Cruise Critic and put it to use last week on my cruise. I rinse/wash my workout clothes, after I have wrung out as much water as I can, I roll the piece of clothing up using a dry towel. I do the rolling a few times and then hang up the clothes in the closet and they are dry within a few hours, and definitely by the next day that I need to work out. I could have gotten away with one set of workout clothes!

But seriously, almost all workout clothes are light weight and take up hardly any space. I drive to the port so weight is not an issue, but it just seems so much easier to bring clean clothes. I have no desire to hand wash anything, and hanging up stuff that is damp? I already have bathing suits hanging. To each their own.

But seriously, almost all workout clothes are light weight and take up hardly any space. I drive to the port so weight is not an issue, but it just seems so much easier to bring clean clothes. I have no desire to hand wash anything, and hanging up stuff that is damp? I already have bathing suits hanging. To each their own.

Seriously indeed, this would have meant for me to bring five tops, five pairs of shorts/skorts for my seven day cruise last week. It is not just about the weight or the space it takes to bring additional stuff. My workout clothes are completely drenched, the idea of having damp/wet soaked in sweat clothes sitting there is less appealing than quickly rinsing/washing them. At home, I can tolerate this for a day or two then it is laundry time, but seven days is too long for me. If only RCI has onboard self service laundry... But you would probably say that is wasting vacation time to do laundry, lol.

• 4 weeks later...
If only RCI has onboard self service laundry... But you would probably say that is wasting vacation time to do laundry, lol.

yes. :)

If I was a sweaty mess after the gym, I might rinse something out and air dry, but probably not, because I take at least 2 cruises a year, one of which is always 7 days, and I am very athletic, sweat, and have never had any type of mold problem. Air out a bit and toss in a bag and you don't even smell it. Upon arrival at home, dump all sweaty clothes in a wash, and is is pretty simple.

Please don't take my comments too harshly, as I think it is good to see how others think. I am about to go on the Allure in 2 weeks and I am actually considering bringing some compression shorts for under neath normal shorts and rinsing the compression shorts out, as they will certainly dry within a day. Then again, I own 5 pair of compression shorts, and they don't take up hardly any space or weight... ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

My trick is to work out first thing in the morning. That way, I get it out of the way and don't have to worry about it. And for me, vacation is all about not worrying. I switch off between aerobic in the gym and body weight exercises I can do in my room if necessary (crossfit junkie … I know, I know).

As far as the food, I can't say I've figured out a secret to not eating so poorly that is as successful as the morning workout …

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

I continue to exercise at the gym and eat healthy. I always take the stairs. I drink lots of water, don't drink alcohol, or eat any fried foods. However, on a cruise I eat desserts. I eat chocolate covered strawberries, the chocolate melting cake at dinner, vanilla frozen yogurt and the chocolate chip cookies at the specialty coffee shop at lunch time.

I'm a runner so I always fit my run in somewhere during the day. On sea days, it's easy to go to the gym or run on the track. If we finish up early in port and there is time I'll go out for a run in the port (as long as it's not industrial)

I try not to go overboard with food. I scope everything out and choose which items are worth splurging on. If my cruise is in Europe, its the patisseries that wrangle me in. I very much look forward to the food experience in port.

• 3 weeks later...

On vacation, I go to the gym every day. Usually getting there when they open at 6am.

It's great not to be rushed and able to work out a bit longer if I feel like it.

At home during the work week I have to get to the gym when they open at 5 and need to leave by 6 to rush home shower and get ready to drive to work. Even the weekends I am usually rushed with things to do after and my gym doesn't open until 7 on weekends. So at home it's usually 4-5 days a week that I go.

I pack enough gym outfits for the trip and wash them when I get home.

I am not the healthiest eater either at home or on vacation so nothing different there. Maybe more desserts on vacation

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Typically cruise gyms suck unless you're a runner. The only cardio I ever do is HIIT 1-2 times/week for 15 minutes tops. I do lift heavy 5-6 days a week, and cruise gyms truly suck for this. I do what I can, but typically they never have heavy dumbbells, and I have never seen real barbells on a ship, only the sad little smith machine.:mad: I try to just lift for 30 minutes a day while on board, and sometimes I'm forced to do the dreaded cardio. :eek:

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from a cruise where I did everything I could to stay on track with my eating and my workouts. It's not a chore for me, it's a lifestyle, so I don't stray from it no matter where I am.

I took a couple of fitness classes on the cruise, but found them way too easy and way too sparse (just 2 of us in one class). I also weight trained 3 days, and ran 3 days. That is less than I do at home, but I found that it was doable on the cruise while still being able to enjoy the ports of call and other activities.

Food was easy. The healthy options were endless.... green salads, grilled fish, veggie omelettes, etc. I don't care anything about the desserts, so that wasn't a temptation. I enjoyed one cocktail a day (not a big drinker) and the rest of the time I drank water. Honestly, I loved how easy it was to continue my healthy life style while on a cruise vacation.... much easier than say going to Vegas or a beach resort.

• 1 month later...
Typically cruise gyms suck unless you're a runner. The only cardio I ever do is HIIT 1-2 times/week for 15 minutes tops. I do lift heavy 5-6 days a week, and cruise gyms truly suck for this. I do what I can, but typically they never have heavy dumbbells, and I have never seen real barbells on a ship, only the sad little smith machine.:mad: I try to just lift for 30 minutes a day while on board, and sometimes I'm forced to do the dreaded cardio. :eek:

I beg to differ. Most cruise ship gyms have normal cardio and weight machines. That's adequate for most people. You're in a small, special category of people if you're solely a "heavy lifter." I bet you criticize Planet Fitness also. ;p

Here's the average ship gym:

We always have the best intentions with keeping with our workout schedule on board, but it doesn't seem to happen very often. Mainly because we have only been able to take a few cruises in the last couple years and I really like to take a vacation.. if you know what I mean.

We did plan on working out at least 3 days on our last cruise on the Norwegian Escape, but it was also our wedding week (got married on that Tuesday) and we had 30 other people on board to "entertain." We brought our jump ropes and the Escape even had a Concept 2 rower. The gym was packed every time we walked through it and I hate feeling crowded while working out. However, I do try to make sure we always take the stairs and we do PLENTY of walking. Not near the intensity that we are used to, but we are moving.

As for eating, our normal daily regimen consists of a paleo zone diet. We both have some sensitivities to gluten and dairy, but we do eat them on occasion if there is something we really want.. choose your battles. :) While we are on the cruise, we stick to eating as healthy as possible, but we typically eat as much as we want. We will drink red wine with dinner and an occasional beer on the pool deck. We also sometimes order 2 starters and more than one dessert in the dining room.. We love food and trying new things, so since everything is paid for, might as well experience everything you can! We are on vacation after all!

I do have a feeling we actually will start working out more on board, seeing we are training more and have booked 5 cruises within the next year and a half. :)

• 1 month later...

Crazy fat crossfitter here. I workout 5-6 days a week 1-2 hours at a time depending on the day. When I travel I bring a jump rope with me. I try to do as much walking on the track that I can with a little bit of running. I prefer lifting to cardio any day. I try to mix it up when on vacation - Lighter lifting with more reps and yoga and mobility work. I like doing a body weight AMRAP of Sit ups, burpees , air squats, push ups and planks. If the ship has kettlebells I will use them. As far as diet I allow a bit of leniency but not much.

Something else I do on cruises that I forgot to mention in my previous post... I always do the "no elevator challenge". I have never been in an elevator on a cruise ship...no matter how many floors of stairs I have to travel, or what shoes I'm wearing. Not so fun in high heels, but that's no excuse... up and down the stairways I go!

• 3 weeks later...
I beg to differ. Most cruise ship gyms have normal cardio and weight machines. That's adequate for most people. You're in a small, special category of people if you're solely a "heavy lifter." I bet you criticize Planet Fitness also. ;p

Well that seemed unprovoked.

I think the reason for the lack of barbells is more to do with safety than anything else. In a ship that's rocking, you're losing some stability - heavy & low-rep stuff could be pretty dangerous.

I stick to my routine on cruises, run for an hour on treadmills, a little light lifting and done. Spend about an hour and a half in gym daily. I eat sensibly but allow myself indulgences I don't partake in when at home, like deserts, fried foods, more beer than normal. Only thing that bothers me in any gym, especially ship gyms, are the people that grunt, groan, make all kind of noises while working out. I guess they need to show others how hard they are working! Suffer in silence I say, show some discipline! The rest of us don't need to hear it.