New Orleans with a 13 year old

steveknj

We are thinking of cruising out of NOLA around Memorial Day and taking my 13 year old daughter as a middle school grad gift. I know NOLA is a very "adult" city and looking at many of the "famous" restaurants in and around the French Quarter, they all seem VERY adult in nature. She's 13 going on 11 unfortunately so going somewhere very buttoned down is probably not an option. We figure to have on full day of touring and will probably have time for 2 full dinners. So where to eat in and around town (we won't have a car, not sure where we are staying yet, but obviously within walking distance of most of the tourist places), and what are the best things to see?

If she were 13 going on 18, she would have a great time.

Seriously, I know what to recommend to adults looking for a good time and to adults with young children. With teenagers, it obviously depends on their interests. I would suggest the Audubon Zoo and the Audubon Aquarium (with IMAX theaters) are both excellent, if not world class. The World War II Museum is extremely popular. There are art museums throughout the area.

However, I would consider time in the French Quarter; Uptown; time on a riverboat; the different tours in the French Quarter (a Ghost Tour at night?) and the area (if time, the plantations outside the city); and the more funky parts of town such as Magazine Street uptown and the Marigny section next to Esplanade.

A final suggestion: I would recommend at least one very nice dining experience. I love Galatorie's in the French Quarter. For those who like Italian, I am a fan of Irene's in the back of the French Quarter and Tommy's Cuisine in the Warehouse District.

But for a special treat, I would suggest strongly Commander's Palace--and ask for the Garden Room. And for the other dinner, Jacques-Imo's uptown, which is much more informal. You will need a taxi for both places. But those two dining experiences, which are very different, will make your trip.

If she were 13 going on 18, she would have a great time.

Seriously, I know what to recommend to adults looking for a good time and to adults with young children. With teenagers, it obviously depends on their interests. I would suggest the Audubon Zoo and the Audubon Aquarium (with IMAX theaters) are both excellent, if not world class. The World War II Museum is extremely popular. There are art museums throughout the area.

However, I would consider time in the French Quarter; Uptown; time on a riverboat; the different tours in the French Quarter (a Ghost Tour at night?) and the area (if time, the plantations outside the city); and the more funky parts of town such as Magazine Street uptown and the Marigny section next to Esplanade.

A final suggestion: I would recommend at least one very nice dining experience. I love Galatorie's in the French Quarter. For those who like Italian, I am a fan of Irene's in the back of the French Quarter and Tommy's Cuisine in the Warehouse District.

But for a special treat, I would suggest strongly Commander's Palace--and ask for the Garden Room. And for the other dinner, Jacques-Imo's uptown, which is much more informal. You will need a taxi for both places. But those two dining experiences, which are very different, will make your trip.

Thanks for your suggestions. The tour ideas sound great. I'm thinking of doing some sort of bus tour as we've never been there and I guess it would hit most of the tourist places.

As far as to eat, we did plan on one "fancy" special dinner. Are those restaurants places that kids wouldn't be frowned upon? For the second dinner we would want something authentic but less formal. We want to eat cajun/creole style food as much as possible. For one, I love it, and two, when in Rome...

I know of very few restaurants--and none that I named--where a 13 year old would be frowned upon.

And the second restaurant I suggested, Jacques-Imo's, has the type of food you are looking for. It may be a tad more expensive than a neighborhood place. It is nice, but not fancy. This is not a dress up place. Check out the website and reviews. You will find the menu very different. But note that it is very popular. In fact, the two drawbacks are that it is about eight miles from the Quarter and it is very, very popular--but young people in particular love it.

Archived