Royal Caribbean UK - auto tips ?

Elizanessie

In the Terms & Conditions on the UK site it now says -

Gratuities/Service Charge

On all our ships, it is customary to offer tips to staff members for their good service and personal attention.

You can pre-pay your service charge as part of your booking and this will be shared among Dining Services Staff, Stateroom Attendants and Other Housekeeping Services Personnel.

Beginning with all sailings commencing after 1st March 2013, if you have not pre-paid your tips/service charges, for your convenience, we will automatically add a $12.00 per guest per day* service charge to each guest's SeaPass account on a daily basis.

Please note, we no longer provide vouchers for you to present to the staff at the end of the cruise to show you have paid your gratuities, but staff will be aware on the last evening of those guests who have paid. A 15% gratuity is also automatically added to beverages, mini bar, spa & salon purchases onboard. *For suites the daily charge is $14.25.

I am hearing that emails have been sent to UK RCCL cruisers with regards to a change in the tipping policy from 1st March...anyone like to share the email details ?

Here we go:

Dear Guest,

Please find attached a document that provides details on an update to our Gratuities Program which comes into effect on 1st March 2013. We would appreciate it if you could take the time to look at this document so you are aware of the forthcoming change to our policy.

(See attached file: ROYAL CARIBBEAN GRATUITY PROGRAM UPDATE 14 Feb

2013.pdf)

To view and print these documents, you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader - click on the link below to download this software free of charge:

http://get.adobe.com/uk/reader/

Kind Regards

Guest Support Unit

Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises & Azamara Club Cruises

I just don't understand why the gratuities aren't factored in to the cruise price. It has to paid (hopefully by everyone) Lets face it the reason RCCL are going to do the daily add on for those who elect not to prepay is to ensure that everyone pays. You only have to see the main dining room on the last evening and see the number of empty seats for the reason they are going down this route :(

Just put it into the cruise cost and problem solved :)

Regards.

Paul

So I guess by this notification people are getting, you will be no longer be able to opt out of the system. I wonder if this is a good way of dealing with the Passengers, who have already booked. A 14 night Cruise will go up by £216, you might say its not a lot of money and I agree, but someone might find it a extra burden, as everyones circumstances are different. If it stated all new bookings from the 1st of March people would then have the choice, with the price amendments. Just my 2 penneth worth.

Damn cheek of them. I sail in July and haven't prepaid my tips, and I'll be pretty angry if I get s message from them saying that they're forcing me to pay. Well I won't be coerced into it that's for sure! I hate this bloody American culture of expecting to tip everywhere and everyone but dare criticise it on some of these boards and you get so much grief from them it's as if you're advocating drowning kittens. If I get mugged in Miami or New York should I tip my assailant for the privilege of being his victim?! My 75 year old mother was in New York last year and was given abuse by a doorman because she didn't tip him a dollar for him opening the door for her. She didn't want him to open it for her but he insisted then held out his hand. She simply shook it and carried on walking!

As a previous poster stated, pay a decent living wage in the first place and factor it in to the cruise cost. We know then that the price we're quoted does not contain hidden costs. Like Thomson cruises - tips are already included in the published fare costs.

So I guess by this notification people are getting, you will be no longer be able to opt out of the system. I wonder if this is a good way of dealing with the Passengers, who have already booked. A 14 night Cruise will go up by £216, you might say its not a lot of money and I agree, but someone might find it a extra burden, as everyones circumstances are different. If it stated all new bookings from the 1st of March people would then have the choice, with the price amendments. Just my 2 penneth worth.

I'm not sure how you get that amount. 14 nights x 22p extra is £3.08 per person.

The pdf says:

In the unlikely event that a guest onboard does not receive satisfactory service, the guest may request

to modify the daily amount by visiting Guest Services during their cruise to discuss the matter

It appears now that this change is not just UK policy, it will affect everyone no matter what country they live in.

Tipping is done this way on Celebrity cruises also....ummm...anyone remember that tv programme a few months ago about the undercover reporter and tipping?:eek:

I think many of the changes that have been happening the last few months are due to changes in staff in Royal Caribbean Head Office in Miami...a lot of Celebrity staff joined the team...so it looks like they brought Celebrity ideas/policies with them.

Archived