Cruise Critic Community
RetiredMustang

Dave’s Live From Noordam Eastern Caribbean Feb. 18 – March 1, 2013

David:

the menu tonght is making me druel. All thest. Get a good night sleep and sweet dreams!

Thanks for the 'Live from...' thread. I am such a huge fan of the Noordam, Hotel Director Mark Pells, CD Shane Michaels, Chef Thomas Schumann and Captain John Scott (if he's driving this week)! We were supposed to be on the March 1st cruise but had to cancel, and we can't sail her again until fall. So, we'll be cruising with you vicariously through your daily posts.

Fair winds and following seas...

Looking forward to the rest of your reports, and yes we even had snow here at Myrtle Beach, SC.

Tuesday, Feb. 19, at sea

As usual, we slept well in those wonderful beds.

To address some of your questions/comments:

Ship’s Officers:

Captain: Robert-Jan Kan

Hotel Manager: Mark Pells

Cruise Director: Shane Michaels

All-Inclusive Beverage Package (info from the flyer)

“Holland America is pleased to introduce a new service that allows you to select from a variety of wine, beer, spirits, cocktails (including non-alcoholic) for $39.95 per person, per day. Details:

- Only available today and tomorrow

- Ask your bartender to sign up

- Includes any beverage priced at no more than $7.00

- All guests in a stateroom who are at least 21 years old must participate in order to purchase the package

- Up to 15 beverages per day”

From the fine print:

“A 15% service charge will be automatically applied to your purchase. This package must be purchased for the entire duration of the voyage. … Participants can order only one drink at a time. Package excludes Explorations Café, Mini Bar and In Room Dining, as well as beverages on Half Moon Cay. …”

My take on the drinks package: I don’t think, even as the experienced wineaux we are, that we could drink enough during each day to make it worthwhile, and if we did, would have to be carried off the ship on stretchers on debarkation day …

The flyer also listed various beverage events for the cruise, such as wine tastings and mixology classes. There also some new things, such as beer tastings, a Scotch tasting, and on day 10 a chocolate and wine tasting event. That last one may bring us in.

More later,

Dave

It will be interesting to see how well the $40/day all inclusive goes. Since my wife consumes about two glasses of wine/year and both of us would have to sign-up, its a non-starter for us.

Do not miss scenic cruising in St lucia .

the pitons are up close and comfortable.......it was really nice plus the outdoor BBQ

Also leisure cruising from Martinique both were veryenjoyable

i did need a sweater for BbQ

Have a super cruise

michele

Enjoying your blog, Dave. Thanks for the details on the beverage package:)

Enjoying your reports Dave. Great as usual. I agree about the drinks package. I might spend 20 dollars per day and if I were to try to get my money's worth out of a package I would have a constant migraine headache.

Seems to me that this offer might promote over drinking and loutish behaviour.

Thanks Dave for all the updates. We to will be on the Mar 11th sailing. So nice to follow you to all the ports and see what you have to say about them ;). This will be our 1st time visiting most of these ports!

Tuesday, Feb. 19, at sea (Cont.)

We attended the Cruise Critic Meet and Greet even in the Crow’s Nest at 11 a.m. It was well organized by Kooolmama, and was very well-attended. The Captain, Hotel Manager and several other officers attended, as did many of the CC roll call members.

HotMan Mark Pells added some things to the usual coffee, tea and cookies. He arranged for mimosas, and a chocolate fountain with fruit skewers. He did something that gave a lot of us an idea – he took a chocolate chip cookie and ran it under the chocolate fountain as well. Mark has grown a beard since we last saw him on Noordam three years ago. He said he has had it for a long time, and it looks god on him.

We were able to meet and chat with many people from the boards, including lorekauf, and RevNeal, with whom DW and I enjoyed a long chat.

All in all, it was a pleasant way to spend an hour or so this morning.

I’ve taken some photos of cabin, an SY on the 6th deck. I will post a few now, and some more later. Smaller photos are attached to the posting, but larger ones are available on the CC Photo Gallery at the links below:

Noordam SY cabin 1 http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/data/520/Noordam_SY_cabin_1.JPG

Noordam SY cabin 2: http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/data/520/Noordam_SY_cabin_2.JPG

Noordam SY cabin 3: http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/data/520/Noordam_SY_cabin_3.JPG

More later,

Dave

944424842_NoordamSYcabin1.jpg.b7acaeee0d30dabc2fddaa6771957e96.jpg

1594609383_NoordamSYcabin2.jpg.9c534601fd185cdd7f067c8440afdd7e.jpg

1299641755_NoordamSYcabin3.jpg.1ab070e5ba0afea8b99fd6251185367b.jpg

Enjoying your reports Dave. Great as usual. I agree about the drinks package. I might spend 20 dollars per day and if I were to try to get my money's worth out of a package I would have a constant migraine headache.

Seems to me that this offer might promote over drinking and loutish behaviour.

Hi sapper! We spoke for a while with lorekauf, and she and we spoke of you and your DH (good things, not bad :D). She made it south to Florida to board the ship ... and is hoping her luggage will be waiting for her when we get to St. Maarten. :eek:

Dave

sounds like a great start - enjoy the rest - cant wait for the next instalement

Thank you for this great thread! My parents are on board and it's nice to hear all about what's going on on the ship (and to try and guess what they might have ordered for dinner each night!), since they didn't get an Internet package this time. I hope you have a great time and I can't wait to hear more about your trip!

Hi sapper! We spoke for a while with lorekauf, and she and we spoke of you and your DH (good things, not bad :D). She made it south to Florida to board the ship ... and is hoping her luggage will be waiting for her when we get to St. Maarten. :eek:

Dave

I am trying to think such positive thoughts about Lorene's luggage and the chances of it being in St. Maarten. Nobody needs that kind of stress on vacation.

Hi to Mrs Dave. :)

Enjoying your reports and looking forward to each one, Dave - thanks for taking the time to do it.:)

Tuesday, Feb. 19, at sea (Cont.)

We had lunch after the meet and greet, and then wandered a bit. We attended a talk about what to see ashore in the first three ports (although we have been to them before).

Then, we went to the Crow’s Nest for a change for a glass of wine. While we were there, they set up for a mixology class. A group of about 8 friends showed up and took the class, which was about how to make a martini. The bartender showed them how to shake a martini without a shaker, by placing a metal tumbler over the glass one, making sure to keep it a bit sideways so as not to lock it when shaking. Then, when one of the group would attempt it, the rest would break out into a chorus of “Shake, shake, shake … shake, shake, shake … shake your booty.” Somehow we seemed to get the impression that the martini was not the first drink the friends had had that afternoon.

We then came back to the room and changed into formal gear for the first formal night dinner, which was excellent as usual (menu below). Afterwards we again went to listen to the Adagio duet in the Explorer’s lounge, where I tried out the chocolates. These were dark chocolate molded cups with nuts, and squares with sprinkles.

Attached are some more photos of our stateroom, with larger versions available at the links.

Noordam SY balcony 1: http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/data/520/Noordam_Sy_balcony_1.JPG

Noordam SY balcony 2: http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/data/520/Noordam_Sy_balcony_2.JPG

Noordam bath 1: http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/data/520/Noordam_SY_bath_1.JPG

Noordam bath 2: http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/data/520/Noordam_SY_bath_2.JPG

More tomorrow,

Dave

Dinner menu, Feb. 19, Captain’s Gala Dinner (formal)

Appetizers: Chilled Lychees with Kiwi Wedges; Jumbo Shrimp Cocktail; Mille-Feuille of Duck Pate; Steamed Manila Clams in White Wine.

Soups and Salad: Dos Frijoles Soup; Cream of Four Mushrooms; Chilled Sour Cherry Soup; Smoked Salmon, Pear and Fennel Salad.

Entrees: Linguini with Scallops and Shrimp; Fresh Mozzarella and Tomato Salad; Cornflake-Crusted Rainbow Trout; Half Maine Lobster Thermidor; Oven-Roasted Rack of Lamb; Oven-Roasted Quail; Roasted Vegetable Tart .

Desserts: Chocolate Souffle; Tarte Tatin; Tiramisu; Black Forest Cake no sugar added; Vanilla Ice Cream; Butter Pecan Ice Cream; Orange Sorbet; Frozen Raspberry Yogurt; no sugar added Neapolitan Ice Cream; no sugar added Vanilla Ice Cream; Amaretto Java Sundae.

From the Daily Program:

Vista Lounge: The Noordam Singers and Dancers present Ballroom Blitz, 8:00 and 10:00 p.m.

Queen’s Lounge:50s and 60s Night with Ben & The HAL Cats, 9:00 p.m. – midnight

Ocean Bar: Lynn & the HAL Cats, 7:00-11:00 p.m.; Happy Hour 4:00-5:00 p.m.

Piano Bar: Entertainer Diane, 9:00 p.m. – close

Explorer’s Lounge: Adagio, 6:00-10:00 p.m.

Crow’s Nest: Solor Guitarist David, 8:00-10:00 p.m.; Happy Hour 9:00-10:00 p.m.

Northern Lights; DJ Jazzy, Disco Fever 10:00 p.m. – close

Tonight’s Movie: Won’t Back Down, Queen’s Lounge, 5:30 p.m.

585988125_NoordamSybalcony1.jpg.2ac76d9f90a3d5e77c4ec50468bf947c.jpg

1924663075_NoordamSybalcony2.jpg.076ad1b8cfed5724ee02e8c88f60ca9a.jpg

1223854995_NoordamSYbath1.jpg.0cb08f084e49b500929a2885324a1b3f.jpg

1096155591_NoordamSYbath2.jpg.2bdf0744f8747f5d0370ac78d9e67831.jpg

Great report Dave!!

I know we would never get that new Drink package.

We had some beer tastings on a few cruises about 3 years ago. They were packed. We didn't. We were scheduled for the wine tasting which was right after it. Held in the Queen's Lounge. We had to wait until they got the place cleaned up.

Sure do hope that Lorene gets her luggage in St Maarten.

Wednesday, Feb. 20, at sea

We did a bit of wandering the ship this morning, and I took some photos. Attached are several, and larger sizes are at the links below.

Noordam Explorations Café: http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/data/520/Noordam_Explorations_Cafe.JPG

Noordam Explorations Café coffee station: http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/data/520/Noordam_Explorations_Cafe_coffee_station.JPG

Noordam atrium: http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/data/520/Noordam_atrium.JPG

Noordam atrium stairs: http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/data/520/Noordam_atrium_stairs.JPG

Noordam promenade: http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/data/520/Noordam_promenade.JPG

We saw Lorene in the Explorations Cafe, and she said she had had some time before getting on the ship to buy a few things in Ft. Lauderdale, but of course wants her luggage as soon as she can.

More later,

Dave

1777618609_NoordamExplorationsCafe.jpg.42bc170d18ff9fc80893b519fe6edfa1.jpg

453734063_NoordamExplorationsCafecoffeestation.jpg.893d9a9c240d2506a0cf3ffe122cd00d.jpg

100983485_Noordamatrium.jpg.27f886cd7666d3b6c7459b05dea5db0b.jpg

1368973870_Noordamatriumstairs.jpg.9cf97f19c58082fe3df455d8e3915a33.jpg

712640566_Noordampromenade.jpg.1f28e7a28fdbf8b3fd2d5994a4b8ea5d.jpg