NCL Ultimate Beverage Package

KiwiTraveller1

We haven't sailed in a couple of years and we're new to this UBP. Looking to book the DAWN to Bermuda and there is a current offer of the UBP or UDP included in fare. I suppose they both have their benefits, but in trying to decide which to pick, I have to ask, is there any discrimination from the bartenders toward those with the UBP? In other words, does anyone here feel like they waited a long time to be served or were passed over for "paying"/tipping passengers while at the pool??
The bartenders and servers want to ring through as many drinks and 15% tips as possible. I have had UBP on my past 2 cruises, and I think I probably received better service than those who didn't have the sticker. The bartenders know I am a "sure thing". They know I am going to give them a bunch of drinks to ring through. The other guy without the sticker, he might just be ordering one drink the entire day. I'm going to order several. They WANT to ring in as many as they can. The more drinks they sell, the better the gratuities they receive.

The bartenders and servers want to ring through as many drinks and 15% tips as possible. I have had UBP on my past 2 cruises, and I think I probably received better service than those who didn't have the sticker. The bartenders know I am a "sure thing". They know I am going to give them a bunch of drinks to ring through. The other guy without the sticker, he might just be ordering one drink the entire day. I'm going to order several. They WANT to ring in as many as they can. The more drinks they sell, the better the gratuities they receive.

I agree. Had the best bar service ever on my last cruise with the UBP. There were 3 of us that were all drinking together that had the UBP and the bartender would just take turns ringing up rounds on different cards.

Good to know, I cannot wait to try some new drinks without having to worry about paying for something I don't like.

Those tips you add to the slip go into a pool. Your bartender would prefer dollars. Right into his/her pocket. ;)

Sure, they go into a pool. But if you don't think they pay attention to who is selling drinks and who isn't, you're crazy. They give all kinds of incentives based on performance, just like many jobs.

Sure, they go into a pool. But if you don't think they pay attention to who is selling drinks and who isn't, you're crazy. They give all kinds of incentives based on performance, just like many jobs.

Crazy? I never said anything about who is paying attention to what, did I ? I was talking about tips :)

Edited by janetz

• 2 weeks later...
Not included, according to the terms:

"The Ultimate Beverage Package does not include room service, package sales, ship specific promotions or beer buckets, designated Super Premium brands (subject to change), bottled wine, mini bar purchases, bottled water, fresh squeezed juices, select Lavazza coffee beverages, energy drinks, vending machines, wine stations or spirits, cocktails, draft or bottled beer and glasses of wine over $10."

Can someone explain what cocktails excluded means?

When given the choice of the upgraded dining, onboard credit or upgraded beverages, we went with the beverages! I am very excited for this!

I am also. :D We cruise with friends and take turns buying drinks but boy does it get pricey.

The package described at the link above seems to have far too many limitations (eg., no bottled water or specialty coffees) to make it really worthwhile for many people.

Celebrity sells several different levels of beverage packages. My partner and I took our first trip with X last year, a transatlantic. As a surprise for her, I bought her the Premium Beverage Package, which (with some truly minor exceptions) included anything and everything, alcoholic and not, from specialty coffees to martinis to wine. It turned the trip into an "all inclusive," which made it that much more fun. (I got myself the Premium Non-Alcoholic Package.)

Did we get our money's worth if you added up what the packages cost and what we drank? No. You'd have to be three sheets to the wind every day for that math to work out. But if you factor in the unquantifiable value of the "all inclusive resort," particularly on a trip as long as a TA, we enjoyed having the packages. I wouldn't do it all the time, and on that TA I was able to buy the packages during a sale, but there are some situations in which it's worth considering.

I'm not saying what NCL is offering is a good deal, given the limitations, I'm just noting that the concept of a beverage package is not a bad thing.

Hi!!!! Are you all going on an NCL cruise?? Would be fun to see you both!!! We just got off Getaway and going on Escape in Nov!

Any drink, cocktail, bottle of beer, etc priced higher than $10.

Sent from my KFJWI using Forums mobile app

Thanks! I miss read and thought it was saying cocktails were not included.

We are thinking about booking a very last minute cruise and this free package is a great incentive!

It seems there a lot of drinks that are excluded from the ultimate beverage package. Has anyone ever posted a drink list that actually has what is included? I presume all the standard frozen tropical drinks domestic beers and cheap glasses of wine what else though

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

The reality is that very little is excluded! In fact, we were hard pushed to find anything we couldn't have!

I think that apart from Hennesey X.O., a couple of specialty cocktails and about three or four glasses of wine, everything else was available.

I was drinking cocktails made from premium spirits (Grey Goose in the Bloody Mary, Patron Silver in the Tequila Sunrise), Gentleman Jack, JD Tennessee Honey, Backardi Oakheart, Woodford Reserve, Knob Hill and many others. All came in at under (or WAY under) the $10 limit.

Seems to me that people are worrying far too much about the UBP. When you get on board, you will realize that it's all for nothing.

Edited by Guindalf

It seems there a lot of drinks that are excluded from the ultimate beverage package. Has anyone ever posted a drink list that actually has what is included? I presume all the standard frozen tropical drinks domestic beers and cheap glasses of wine what else though

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

A list of the drinks actually included would basically be a full list of drinks served, with a small number of exceptions. It would be far easier to list what isn't included. In comparison, that list would be tiny.

Edited by KeithJenner

Forgive me if this has been asked but I've been looking for a list of drinks to get ideas of what I will be having. I found this link http://www.cruisewithgambee.com/norwegian-ncl-ultimate-beverage-drink-package/

But that says cocktails are limited to $8.50. Is this an old document and now the limit is $10 for cocktails?

Guindalf mentioned having grey goose but that's not listed on that website. Is this a new offering?

Forgive me if this has been asked but I've been looking for a list of drinks to get ideas of what I will be having. I found this link http://www.cruisewithgambee.com/norwegian-ncl-ultimate-beverage-drink-package/

But that says cocktails are limited to $8.50. Is this an old document and now the limit is $10 for cocktails?

Guindalf mentioned having grey goose but that's not listed on that website. Is this a new offering?

Yes, that is old info from the time before the package price and drink price limit were both raised. Limit is now $10 regardless of the drink type (previously the limits were different for beers, wines and liquor).

More info about current terms here: http://www.ncl.com/promo/ultimate-beverage-package/terms

However Gambee's pictures from drink menus are pretty much close to what we have experienced so there shouldn't be too many differences there.

Edited by Demonyte

That list is about 2 years old. The maximum price was increased to £10 a while ago.

Yes, that is old info from the time before the package price and drink price limit were both raised. Limit is now $10 regardless of the drink type (previously the limits were different for beers, wines and liquor).

More info about current terms here: http://www.ncl.com/promo/ultimate-beverage-package/terms

However Gambee's pictures from drink menus are pretty much close to what we have experienced so there shouldn't be too many differences there.

Thank you both

The reality is that very little is excluded! In fact, we were hard pushed to find anything we couldn't have!

I think that apart from Hennesey X.O., a couple of specialty cocktails and about three or four glasses of wine, everything else was available.

I was drinking cocktails made from premium spirits (Grey Goose in the Bloody Mary, Patron Silver in the Tequila Sunrise), Gentleman Jack, JD Tennessee Honey, Backardi Oakheart, Woodford Reserve, Knob Hill and many others. All came in at under (or WAY under) the $10 limit.

Seems to me that people are worrying far too much about the UBP. When you get on board, you will realize that it's all for nothing.

EXACTLY!!!

Just off the Getaway and this is our experience as well. I saw a few - literally just a FEW - martini's that were over the $10 limit. I suppose there are a few wine options too - but we are not wine drinkers so I'm no help there. :o

But we were pleasantly surprised that we could get anything we wanted and never had an issue with the "limit". Tried LOTS of things for the first time and even have some new favorites!

Looking forward to having it again on the Escape! ;) :D