NCL Ultimate Beverage Package

KiwiTraveller1

Would someone please explain what this exclusion on the UBP means. Have read numerous references, but have not seen specific examples. Thanks.

What exclusion?

If you mean the $10 limit discussed in the last few posts then it means that drinks over $10 aren't included in the UBP and are added to your on board account instead.

What exclusion?

If you mean the $10 limit discussed in the last few posts then it means that drinks over $10 aren't included in the UBP and are added to your on board account instead.

I believe he was referring to the "select coffee drinks" in the subject line of the post.

From what I've seen, that generally means espresso, lattes, etc - things that are not "just" coffee.

That was my question. Have a serious addiction to espresso and was afraid that was the exclusion.

You're just going to have to drink Espresso Martini's! :D They ARE included.

Edited by peg013

Hello,

Does anyone know if gratuity is included with the package or if we are charged? Sailing on the Gem on the 18th!

Thanks

It is included if you got UBP free as part of a promotion. If you buy UBP, then 15% gratuity is added to the cost of the package. Since you didn't specify, I wanted to clarify.

I believe he was referring to the "select coffee drinks" in the subject line of the post.

From what I've seen, that generally means espresso, lattes, etc - things that are not "just" coffee.

Just off the Epic and we found that while nearly everything was included, coffee drinks were not. Not just the plain espresso but even the alcohol ones. We asked at two bars and were told that you had to pay for things like Irish Coffee, Spanish Coffee, etc. with the UBP. I didn't ask about the Martini but the whole page they had of coffee drinks (that were all like $8-10, not the $3-5 non-alcoholic ones) were not included. I'm not a huge coffee fan so didn't worry about it but just wanted to give a heads up on my experience.

Just off the Epic and we found that while nearly everything was included, coffee drinks were not. Not just the plain espresso but even the alcohol ones. We asked at two bars and were told that you had to pay for things like Irish Coffee, Spanish Coffee, etc. with the UBP. I didn't ask about the Martini but the whole page they had of coffee drinks (that were all like $8-10, not the $3-5 non-alcoholic ones) were not included. I'm not a huge coffee fan so didn't worry about it but just wanted to give a heads up on my experience.

That is very interesting. This was the reply from RVSullivan recently:

No, drinks such as Irish Coffee are available in the package if the bar has coffee available (not all do). The reference to specialty coffees is the coffee bar drinks like Cafe Mocha etc. You can get all the Irish Coffee you want.

• 2 months later...

We are booking a January NCL trip with 5 cabins. My 19 year old son and I will have an inside cabin. However my children who are over 21 will be in outside cabins are are selecting the bonus UBP. (That option is not offered on the inside cabins.)

Will I have to purchase a UBP for myself and a soda package for my son? Or does that policy only apply to purchased UBPs?

I should add that my brother, who does not drink, will also be in an outside cabin. Will he be able to select a different bonus? Or should we separate our reservations to gain more flexibility? I appreciate your help! :confused:

We are booking a January NCL trip with 5 cabins. My 19 year old son and I will have an inside cabin. However my children who are over 21 will be in outside cabins are are selecting the bonus UBP. (That option is not offered on the inside cabins.)

Will I have to purchase a UBP for myself and a soda package for my son? Or does that policy only apply to purchased UBPs?

I should add that my brother, who does not drink, will also be in an outside cabin. Will he be able to select a different bonus? Or should we separate our reservations to gain more flexibility? I appreciate your help! :confused:

Your reservations are separate anyway, there is always only one cabin in each reservation. Every cabin can select different perk.

Unless you want to purchase UBP for yourself (and soda package for your younger son), you don't need to.

The promotional UBP does not carry the requirement that all passengers traveling together must purchase. No one has to purchase anything additional. Your older children can choose the UBP in their cabin, and this will have no consequences for you and your younger son in your inside cabin.

Your brother in his separate oceanview cabin can choose whichever perk he wants, independently of the other cabins in your group.

Edited by hawkeyetlse

• 3 months later...

I chose a free Ultimate Beverage Package as a new booking promotion. It was advertised as $54.00 per day. I was charged $68.02 service fee, which would be 18% of $378.00 had I purchased it. It was not exactly free. I hope this means that they will add more staff at the bars. Several reviews have complained about the long lines and slow service at the bars, largely due to drink packages overwhelming the staff.

I chose a free Ultimate Beverage Package as a new booking promotion. It was advertised as $54.00 per day. I was charged $68.02 service fee, which would be 18% of $378.00 had I purchased it. It was not exactly free. I hope this means that they will add more staff at the bars. Several reviews have complained about the long lines and slow service at the bars, largely due to drink packages overwhelming the staff.

It stated very clearly in the terms (that I assume you read before booking) that you would be responsible for those fees. Despite that, you decided to book anyway. I can understand your anger and disappointment in yourself.

Agree - not exactly free if they then add fees on top.

I would say that 18% of nothing is nothing.

Maybe NCL use a different calculator to the rest of the world.

Yes it is probably written in the small print - but they do not give you a free drink at an event and then say 'can I have your card to charge 18% of our highly inflated charges to your cabin for that free drink you just drank' - do they? So why on a free gift???

Nobody reads terms and conditions any more... Clearly states you pay the 18 percent.

Still a great deal if you like to drink!! I booked before June and didn't have to pay the 18 percent, but if I booked now I would still get it.

Edited by rolyasmatt

It stated very clearly in the terms (that I assume you read before booking) that you would be responsible for those fees. Despite that, you decided to book anyway. I can understand your anger and disappointment in yourself.

Condescending post of the day award. You must be very proud.

• 4 weeks later...

Just booked the Breakaway with my wife (NCL for the first time), sailing in Oct. '15.

We received free UBP but I'm shocked that a premium coffee isn't included but premium vodka like Grey Goose is..?

Searching reveals this coffee is just 5/10, not great, not horrible, just ok. What do you guys think?

I'm used to RCCL having a premium blend available with their drink packages, I'm starting to see why NCL is known for "nickle and diming". The value is still better than RCCL at the moment - their 5 day Bermuda price is the same as NCL's 7 day, w/o UBP! BUT it's quickly diminishing.

$189 pre-paid service charge is excessive (2 Adults, 7 days). I like tipping directly to those who service me, I get that there are people behind the scenes but this fee I'm sure is used to pay salaries, not bonuses.

It just present a problem for those trying to cruise on a budget, I "technically" paid for excellent service but I know that money isn't making it into their pockets like a direct tip would..

I'm not going to let it ruin my trip, it is what it is and you live and learn but all of this will play strongly into the decision of my next cruise booking.