Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

whiskey

Poor Princess Wedding Photography Pictures?

I've been trying to determine if my Wedding pictures taken aboard the Caribbean Princess were taken properly. From what I saw the photographer was using a 5 megpixel Digital Nikon Camera. She was shooting at a much lower resolution like 2 megs from what I can now see.

This maybe fine for printing 4x6 and even 8x10 but is this digital negative acceptable for printing a big blowup at 11x14 or 20x30?

Seems the files are very small, especially when the topic is wedding pictures. Can anyone tell me if I'm just being picky? 1.1 meg files are pretty small no?

Thanks

JPEG process Baseline

Camera make NIKON CORPORATION

Date/Time 2005:05:16 14:16:01

Flash used Yes

Exposure time 0.008 s (1/125)

JPEG Quality fine

File size 1331614 bytes

File date 2005:05:26 14:45:55

Resolution 2000 x 1312

Whitebalance cloudy

Camera model NIKON D1X

Focal length 18.0mm

Metering Mode matrix

Aperture f/5.6

72 dpi

I can't help you much, but I was surprised a professional used a "walmart" type store bought camera. Aren't they supposed to have big cameras with all the attachments? My hopes are that these pics turn out good for you, but my gut is really not agreeing.

Best of luck!

HEY WHISKEY,

I HATE TO BE THE BEARER OF BAD NEWS, BUT YOU ASKED. I AM A WEDDING/EVENT PHOTOGRAPHER. WWW.SMILEFORSONYA.COM AND I ONLY SHOOT DIGITAL. I ONLY SHOOT AT THE HIGHEST QUAILTY 6.3MP AND 8.3MP. I USE A CANON 10D AND 20D SLR. BELOW IS A TABLE THAT WILL ANSWER YOUR QUESTION.

PIXELS PRINT SIZE

1MP 3X5

2MP 4X6

3MP 5X7

4MP 8X10

5MP 11X14

6MP 13X19

8MP 16X20 AND LARGER

IT ALSO DEPENDS ON THE CAMERA BEING USED. THE CAMERA YOUR PHOTOGRAPHER USED IS A GOOD CAMERA. IT COST ANYWHERE FROM $2000, GRAY MARKET PRICE TO $3000 US PRICE. SHE PROBABLY DID NOT KNOW HOW TO USE THE CAMERA OR DID NOT UNDERSTAND PIXELS OR DID NOT BRING ENOUGH COMPACT FLASH CARDS TO YOUR WEDDING SO SHE HAD TO USE THE LOWEST RESOLUTION.

I HOPE I WAS OF SOME HELP.

SMILEFORSONYA

VOW RENEWAL (20 YEARS) ON THE CARNIVAL LEGEND 9/2/05

My bad. I never would have imagined 5MP would be good enough. I just bought a Olympus 6.1 MP (for non prof/everyday use) and it wasn't nearly that much. Just out of curiosity, what makes that camera so much more expensive?

We had our wedding photo from Princess that is the same resolution you have listed below (2000 X 1312) blowen up into a 16 X 20 canvas with no pixelation visible at all, it looks beautiful. Our regular 8 X 10's came out crystal clear as well. I am not a pixel and Megabyte or Megapixel (they are 2 different things I think, megabyte is file size I think and megapixel is the resolution the camera allows) expert but I can say that our pictures look very clear even the enlarged ones, but we haven't enlarged to 11 X 17, only the 16 X 20 canvas which looks beautiful and the 8 X 10's. Our photographer had a Nikon Digital with the battery back pack and such. It looked like a very nice camera, but again, I'm not an expert so I don't know exactly what kind of camera it was. :) Good Luck!

Thanks Sonya.. I guess this is another recommendation for future Brides to consider Royal Caribbean instead for the weddings. They still shoot with film and will provide you digital negatives in a very high resolution 3x higher then Princess. I saw my buddies Royal Caribbean wedding pictures and they are so much more professional then Princess.