I Like Warm Beaches and Drinks with Umbrellas...So What's with the Icebergs?

SailorJack

Icebergs come in many different shapes. As a child we used to look at the clouds and and identify different shapes. In Antarctica we did the same with the icebergs. I thought this first one resembled one of the swan boats seen at Neuschwanstein Castle in Germany but SailorJill thought it looked like a swimming pig. Oh well, here are a few of the icebergs we ran across.

193.jpg

228.jpg

DSCN1143.jpg

219.jpg

188.jpg

These are some relatively fog shrouded pictures of Elephant Island - known primarily through the extraordinary heroics of Captain Ernest

Shackleton, who lost his ship Endurance and marooned his crew of 33 men on the island from May until 30 August 1916. While his crew was marooned, he took a small open boat to cross 800 miles of Antarctic Oceans to seek a rescue boat for his crew. He didn't lose a single man. The island is relatively small - measuring just 6 miles by 1/2 mile. Winds are clocked at over 100 miles an hour. How 33 men survived 4 months on that little island with no natural shelter is quite a feat.

270.jpg

274.jpg

We were told that it was this formation that gave the island its name. Supposedly the sailors thought it looked like an elephants head with the head looking to the right and its long trunk entering into the water.

280.jpg

246.jpg

Cornwallis Island was the last sight we saw before we altered course and headed for the Falklands. It reminded me of the Mysterious Island but reminded Jill of Brigadoon - a land that appears once every thousand years and then disappears again. Whatever, it was quite a sight to come upon it.

From a distance we see the peak of this island poking through the clouds.

282.jpg

As we got nearer it became a little clearer, but looked even more mysterious.

281.jpg

Then the fog descended and it was gone.

284.jpg

As I mentioned in my review, we saw lots of sea life in Antarctica. In the first set of photos a couple of dolphins played around our ship.

413.jpg

410.jpg

414.jpg

We saw lots of penguins, but the little devils were too fast to get a real good picture of them (but I later got a few good shots in Puerto Madryn.)

245.jpg

We also saw lots of whales, but they were usually further from the ship. Here I got a shot of one just after it had breached and was diving back into the ocean.

168.jpg

Great stuff as usual Sailor Jack ...reminds me of Alaska ..saw many many whalesin Juneau bubble feeding that was a wow moment . One pod jumped right next to our boatv..it was amazing .yes its true whales have a serious bad breath problem ...plus when they eat they poop and it floats all over ......an aromatic experience no doubt ...pheeeouw

Michele

Jack

I usually love reading your threads because they're so funny and you have such a unique way to look at the mundane and see something unique and humorous.

I've never had a desire to go to Antarctica but your photos on this thread are amazing and have changed that! You've captured such beauty! I really would love to see this for myself some day.

Thank you!!!

Edited by chamima

Jack

I usually love reading your threads because they're so funny and you have such a unique way to look at the mundane and see something unique and humorous.

I've never had a desire to go to Antarctica but your photos on this thread are amazing and have changed that! You've captured such beauty! I really would love to see this for myself some day.

Thank you!!!

What a lovely compliment - thank you! I also had some reluctance to take this itinerary, but I am so glad I did. The pictures don't come close to describing the utter beauty of Antarctica. I know you will enjoy it as well.

Great stuff as usual Sailor Jack ...reminds me of Alaska ..saw many many whalesin Juneau bubble feeding that was a wow moment . One pod jumped right next to our boatv..it was amazing .yes its true whales have a serious bad breath problem ...plus when they eat they poop and it floats all over ......an aromatic experience no doubt ...pheeeouw

Michele

Thanks, Michele. I did not know about the Whale Breath problem thing! What one learns on this website!:D

Jack

As we approached Port Stanley in the Falklands, we saw the sun rise for the firs time in several days. It was a nice sight, but didn't last for long as it soon clouded over and we saw grey skies. But it it was nice while it lasted.

289.jpg

Our first glimpse of the Falklands.

292.jpg

The first thing you see as you enter the harbor is a graveyard. This was a first for us - we had never seen this at a harbor entrance before.

306.jpg

Port Stanley is a tender port and here the Infinity is at anchor as we take the tender into the dock area.

296.jpg

Despite what you may think, this is not a ship from a competing cruise line. Actually we saw a lot of ships in various stages of disrepair in this part of the world.

339.jpg

This was our first glimpse of the town of Port Stanley - referred to by the townspeople as simply "Stanley." There were no high rise buildings and most of the structures were very simple.

307.jpg

This is Christ Church Cathedral. Consecrated in 1892 it is the most Southerly cathedral in the world.

310.jpg

We have visited many of the great cathedrals in Europe, but while they may be more ornate, I was never so moved as I was here. The church gave the impression of being a "people's" church. It was simple but elegant in a way. Bags of toys hung on pegs in the back so children could play during service, there was a very nice gentleman who welcomed each visitor and answered questions, and there were commemorative plaques on the wall that paid homage to people who had served the interests of the Falklands - both civilian and military.

312.jpg

The Whalebone Arch standing next to the Cathedral is comprised of the jaw bones of a Blue Whale and commemorated those men who risked their lives in hunting whales - at a time when we didn't know better. As an interesting side note the steeple of the Cathedral is said to approximate the size of a Blue Whale.

318.jpg

The Falkland Islands are probably known to most people as a result of the war in 1982. This memorial to the men and women who lost their lives in that war stands near the harbor's edge and is enscripted with the names of those who made the ultimate sacrifice.

321.jpg

Thanks for the great pictures once again, just finished a cruise for two weeks and I can't wait for this one next year.:D

I envy you...you have a year of anticipation!:) You are really going to enjoy that itinerary.

SailorJack, Loved your review.

We especially enjoyed it, since we are doing Around the Horn next January from BA to Valpo;

Glad that Canadians can learn to speak Southern.

We did that itinerary on NCL's Dream and thoroughly enjoyed it. As to speaking Southern - it was not easy, y'all.:D

We did that itinerary on NCL's Dream and thoroughly enjoyed it. As to speaking Southern - it was not easy, y'all.:D

Thank you for your amazing photos. I have really enjoyed following your posts as it has allowed me to take a journey that I will probably never be able to see with my own eyes.

Greatly appreciate your time and posts.

so on Antarctica cruises you never get to actually go ashore onto the continent ?

Large ships do not have shore excursions - either do to the fact that there is no dock for either the ship or a tender or that there are just too many people. Lots of smaller ships do provide shore excursions - by motorized Zodiacs. Hurtigruten even offers a shore excursion where they will pitch a tent in Antarctica for you and let you spend the night camping. At $1,000 a couple it is a tad on the expensive side, but then you have bragging rights for the rest of your life on how you camped in Antarctica!

We did this same cruise on the NCL Sun about 4 years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. The only thing we didn't do was go to Antartica but I would definitely do it again and go to Antartica. Loved seeing the penguins. Awesome...

Sorry you didn't make it to Antarctica, but that is something to look forward to.

Loving your reviews... I find it is a great way to pass my non-productive way at work..... Thanks!

Well, we sort of have something in common. I find writing them a great way to get out of having to do house hold chores.:)

No, you would need one of the smaller expedition cruises for that. Considerably more costly.

You are correct. Prices on those smaller ships are a lot more than on the bigger ships.

Edited by SailorJack