"Must See/Do" on Mexican Riviera Cruise????

Jedi Nut

Hi Everyone!

We have a couple of families taking heading out on the Carnival Pride to the Mexican Riviera (Cabo, Mazatlan, P.V.) in March 2006...yes, we plan ahead! :eek:

So many of the "fun" excursions (from the ship) are for ages 12 and up, but we have 4 kids with us: 1 boy (13 y.o.), 3 girls (2 are 11, 1 is 9).

I am wondering, given the ages of the kids, what folks would recommend at each Port of Call. I know that Randi's Happy Horses is a must in Mazatlan, but what about Cabo and P.V.? Anything else in Mazatlan?

Also, the other dad and I want to do some diving...we have a long day in P.V., so would we be better off hitting a local dive shop, or going through the ship's excursion desk?

Thank goodness for the Internet! How else could I ask an audience of THOUSANDS (or more) for recommendations??

Thanks in advance...and if there's any interest, I will sumarize the responses in a separate posting.

-JN

Hi JN~

We're leaving in a few days, so I'll be posting my review of what we did.

But considering the ages of 12 on up, they may enjoy doing the zip line excursion in PV. This is what we'll be doing through Los Veranos..they have a website. MUCH cheaper to go through them then the ship's excursion and better. You may know it as the canopy tours.

Alot depends on what everyone enjoys. We'll be taking three teens, so we're trying to make everyone as happy as possible. :D

We're doing the glass bottom boat excursion in Cabo...u can book them at the pier. Then we're going to spend time at the Melia resort.

Well, I'll post when I return. But I'm sure you'll have many suggestions. Then you can get ideas and talk with your party and see what everyone would enjoy doing.

Hi!

We're going on NCL Star in Jan. with our 4 kids. We were on the Elation in 03 and I agree, Randi's is a MUST. My sil and I just went shopping on our own in PV while the hubbies went with a dive shop. My bil planned it, he's a diver but my dh isn't. The place they went my dh got a little snorkeling in, but he's definately been to better. I can find out who my bil went through for you. I know they saw a shark too! As far as Cabo, we went to Lover's Beach, but there are no potties and the water is really strong on the far side, you can't go in. And it was especially choppy where you get off. Just beware you "jump" off the water taxi and remember to take important things like digital cameras out of your pockets so if you fall it doesn't get ruined. Not that we have any personal experience;) with ruining a brand new Fuji Digimax. (can't complain about Walmart's return policies btw)

In P. Vallarta make a whalewatch tour (as whales are there till end of March). I prefer to do it with open-air expeditions, as they do the tour on a Zodiac. I am sure your children will love it. They can sail real fast and spot many whales.(No bathroom on board, you get life-vests)

Have a look at their website: www.vallartawhales.com

Thanks for the great info!

We are going at the beginning of March.

Whale watching sounds great, but my DW and oldest daughter both get seasick on small boats.

The canopy tours sound really fun, but my kids are ages 11 and 9...too young. :(

I think our plan will be:

Mazatlan: Randi's Happy Horses

Cabo San Lucas: Hop a bus or taxi over to San Jose de Cabo to shop and "knock around"

Puerto Vallarta: Diving for me, shopping for the girls. :D

Of course....nothing is written in stone!

-JN

if you book the Canopy tour direct or through Shore Trips the minimum age is 8. So, depending on how adventurous your 9 yo is, this may be an option for you. We have booked direct with the jet-over boats and the ATVs rather than through Disney to get around the min. age qualification that Disney adds. You just need to know what your child is capable of.

Cyn

San Diego

There are no must-sees on the Mexican Riviera. It is resort Mexico country, not exotic, fascinating, historical, cultural, or even exciting by any stretch of the imagination. It is probably warmer than home but things you have to do??-hardly. Find some things that you might like to do but you aren't missing anything if you don't do anything at all.

If you read these boards, you will find that too many cruisers get very excited that there is a Wal-mart in PV or a Costco in CSL where they can buy and smuggle cheap alcohol on to the ship. Get the picture??

I would reccomend the Las Caletas Tour for P.V. We have done it twice through the ship and had a really good time. The food is exellent. You can still have enough time after to go back on the ship, get cleaned up and take a taxi to the Malecon and eat and shop.

There are no must-sees on the Mexican Riviera. It is resort Mexico country, not exotic, fascinating, historical, cultural, or even exciting by any stretch of the imagination. It is probably warmer than home but things you have to do??-hardly. Find some things that you might like to do but you aren't missing anything if you don't do anything at all.

If you read these boards, you will find that too many cruisers get very excited that there is a Wal-mart in PV or a Costco in CSL where they can buy and smuggle cheap alcohol on to the ship. Get the picture??

That is a pretty cynical point of view, I think that places are as exciting as you make them, go enjoy and experience a different countries culture even if others are to shallow to dig that deep!

The question was must-sees? In Rome, there are must sees. In London, New York, San Francisco, Paris, Amsterdam, Athens, Istanbul, there are must-sees. On the Mexican Riviera, there are no must-sees. We did a mountain bike ride in PV, we had a great golf excursion in Mazatlan and we walked around in CSL. Did we miss anything--no, did we enjoy ourselves, yes, it was winter, we were warm and we were doing summer type things. But, I answered the question. There are no must-sees in the Mexican Riviera. C'mon, read these boards, there are some fun things to do but people are also getting excited about going to Cabo Wabo, Carlos and Charlies and trying to figure out how to smuggle booze onto a boat. They are not talking about the Louvre, Big Ben and the Forum when they go to the Mexican Riviera. This is a resort type vacation so you can pick what you want to entertain yourself but there are hardly things you will regret missing.

It is resort Mexico country, not exotic, fascinating, historical, cultural, or even exciting by any stretch of the imagination.

Well i for one found the people and history of the people facinating. I also found it very exotic. And enjoyed digging deeper than a game of golf into their heritage. Some people are into the surface tours and touristy things, others enjoy digging beneath the surface a wee bit further than senor frogs! Like i said, everyone makes it what they want and gets out of it what they want.

We are going on our first cruise in Jan/06 on the NCL Star. Does anybody have a recommendation as to where the best snorkeling would be? Our stops are in Acapulco, Cabo, PV, and Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa. Of the 6 of us, a couple have snorkeled before.

• 3 weeks later...

We are sailing Nov.2005 on the NCL Star so will be happy to report back w/any questions. Do you know anything about what cabin #'s or Deck levels to request. We are on the 8th Deck towards the front w/ balcony, don't have a clue is this is acceptable or not.

Elwinnie

look at these pics and tell me you would not like it...

http://sagmems.tripod.com/whywelovemexico/id1.html

http://community.webshots.com/album/330890473AhasNk

The question was must-sees? In Rome, there are must sees. In London, New York, San Francisco, Paris, Amsterdam, Athens, Istanbul, there are must-sees. On the Mexican Riviera, there are no must-sees. We did a mountain bike ride in PV, we had a great golf excursion in Mazatlan and we walked around in CSL. Did we miss anything--no, did we enjoy ourselves, yes, it was winter, we were warm and we were doing summer type things. But, I answered the question. There are no must-sees in the Mexican Riviera. C'mon, read these boards, there are some fun things to do but people are also getting excited about going to Cabo Wabo, Carlos and Charlies and trying to figure out how to smuggle booze onto a boat. They are not talking about the Louvre, Big Ben and the Forum when they go to the Mexican Riviera. This is a resort type vacation so you can pick what you want to entertain yourself but there are hardly things you will regret missing.

We sailed to the Mexican Riviera because we are close to S.F. and it was easy. Was not sure what we would find. We were so pleasantly surprised by what we found. The people were friendly and warm. The scenery beautiful. We went with Randi to Stone Island and saw how people lived 50 years back - met them and laughed with them. Sure there is poverty and some places that were not so nice - as anywhere. We have been back 3 times and will go again. There were many "not to be missed" places and I hope everyone gets to discover them like we did. Everyone's is different.

we are planning to be on the Pride on March 12th. We look forward to your review of the ports and what you did.

This is our families first time to this part of Mexico. We usually do Cozumel at least once a year. We are very comfortable there.

Thanks again for any insight...

realproperty, thank you for your opinion, but the facts stated by hommebronze, morriscats and others are just what I am looking for. I really enjoyed the photo's of the street art in PV and some hotel and beach names where we can consider spending some time. I know just lounging on a white sand beach may be boring to some, but it is an experience we enjoy. Then we can compare it to other places we have been. We don't head to Walmart unless it is an emergency run, either. I always return home with new enjoyable experiences; we don't snorkel, do zip lines or dine out while at port unless a place like Victor's or the Office is highly recommended.

Bon Voyage

Archived