Ports & Prices

Denali2003

Someone had mentioned that Princess no longer sails out of San Juan, Puerto Rico. Does anyone know why? I was looking at their Caribbean ports, San Juan is not even one they stop at. Why? IMHO, I love San Juan.

I also noticed that Princess' prices are extremely high now. Why? A 4 day cruise for an interior is $824. :eek: That's $206 per day. Why is is so expensive?

Did Princess switch out Miami & San Juan for Houston & Galveston? Why?

Thank you for any help you can offer.

:)

Princess has never sailed out of Miami; the ships sail from Ft. Lauderdale. Next year, the western Caribbean itinerary will sail out of Houston rather than Galveston. San Juan was dropped as an embarkation port because of the expense and often difficulty flying to San Juan rather than Ft. Lauderdale. Even though the ship sailed late, it really required an overnight stay in San Juan for most people flying in which added to the cruise cost per-person plus the higher and longer air fare. Princess wound up selling the cabins for almost nothing to Puerto Ricans because they couldn't fill the ship and no one else could drive to the port.

Follow the money. If fares have to be consistently lowered to fill the ship, Princess will redeploy the ship elsewhere. They're a for-profit company and want to make money.

Any ship that will leave a US mainland port and then either returns or sails to another US mainland port is going to be very popular for obvious air travel reasons. The current 49 day Grand Princess Ft.Lauderdale to San Francisco via the Horn was a perfect example with its significant waiting lists

Someone had mentioned that Princess no longer sails out of San Juan, Puerto Rico. Does anyone know why? I was looking at their Caribbean ports, San Juan is not even one they stop at. Why? IMHO, I love San Juan.

I also noticed that Princess' prices are extremely high now. Why? A 4 day cruise for an interior is $824. :eek: That's $206 per day. Why is is so expensive?

Did Princess switch out Miami & San Juan for Houston & Galveston? Why?

Thank you for any help you can offer.

:)

Here is an entire thread on your question about San Juan.....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1518568&highlight=san+juan

WOW I had no idea there are so many issues with SJ. I also didn't know that they were "giving away" cabins for $200 to locals. Someone mentioned that Florida residents don't get those kind of deals. That doesn't seem fair.

It seems ironic now that Southwest goes to San Juan, cruise ships are pulling out. I checked SW and found 2 RT tickets from TN was $680 (for 2 people). That's actually less than what we paid for our 2 RT tickets to FLL next month. We paid almost $900 for 2 tickets to FLL. And we are having to spend the night in FLL. With Princess leaving at 4pm now, we would be cutting it close to board by 3pm.

I've also noticed that Princess' fares are going up. Even their last minute deals seem high. Last year they had a last minute deal for a 7 day Alaska cruise for $299 for an inside cabin. We were like "WOW" I looked into to. It was the northbound cruise - Vancouver to Anchorage. GREAT! The airfare, not so much. For the 2 of us it was a grand total of $1,800. 2 one-way tickets to Vancouver. Then 2 one-way tickets from Anchorage. That's a great deal if you live close enough to drive to Vancouver. If the airfare wasn't so much, we may have "jumped on it".

I saw that Princess has a 4 day cruise out of Texas and the prices start at $824. :eek: That's $206/per person/per day. That seems a bit steep. Yet, you can get on a 7 day Caribbean for $799. What's up with that? The 4 day only went to 1 port.

Princess has never sailed out of Miami; the ships sail from Ft. Lauderdale. Next year, the western Caribbean itinerary will sail out of Houston rather than Galveston. San Juan was dropped as an embarkation port because of the expense and often difficulty flying to San Juan rather than Ft. Lauderdale. Even though the ship sailed late, it really required an overnight stay in San Juan for most people flying in which added to the cruise cost per-person plus the higher and longer air fare. Princess wound up selling the cabins for almost nothing to Puerto Ricans because they couldn't fill the ship and no one else could drive to the port.

Follow the money. If fares have to be consistently lowered to fill the ship, Princess will redeploy the ship elsewhere. They're a for-profit company and want to make money.

Makes sense to me.

WOW I had no idea there are so many issues with SJ. I also didn't know that they were "giving away" cabins for $200 to locals. Someone mentioned that Florida residents don't get those kind of deals. That doesn't seem fair.

It seems ironic now that Southwest goes to San Juan, cruise ships are pulling out. I checked SW and found 2 RT tickets from TN was $680 (for 2 people). That's actually less than what we paid for our 2 RT tickets to FLL next month. We paid almost $900 for 2 tickets to FLL. And we are having to spend the night in FLL. With Princess leaving at 4pm now, we would be cutting it close to board by 3pm.

I've also noticed that Princess' fares are going up. Even their last minute deals seem high. Last year they had a last minute deal for a 7 day Alaska cruise for $299 for an inside cabin. We were like "WOW" I looked into to. It was the northbound cruise - Vancouver to Anchorage. GREAT! The airfare, not so much. For the 2 of us it was a grand total of $1,800. 2 one-way tickets to Vancouver. Then 2 one-way tickets from Anchorage. That's a great deal if you live close enough to drive to Vancouver. If the airfare wasn't so much, we may have "jumped on it".

I saw that Princess has a 4 day cruise out of Texas and the prices start at $824. :eek: That's $206/per person/per day. That seems a bit steep. Yet, you can get on a 7 day Caribbean for $799. What's up with that? The 4 day only went to 1 port.

There are still great deals if you have the option of booking closer to the sailing. ;)

As someone who lives here (just north of Dallas) we've always found cruising from here to be bitter sweet. It's convenient because you can drive and save the airfare, but the cruise prices themselves are almost always higher than average. We've just always attributed it to supply and demand.... there are so many ships that port from Florida and California that you can get really great deals. We have very few here and they have to cover the cost of maintaining the port so the cost to passengers is higher. I'm personally thrilled that Princess is here! :D

We sailed out of San Juan last year on the first 4 days of our TA. It was a wonderful place to stay for a day or so, as is Galveston. We are happy that we had the opportunity to experience both.

Yes, prices are really high this year. I haven't seen any great deals.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1988-01-10/travel/8803210480_1_sun-princess-pacific-princess-princess-cruises-spokesman

That article was dated 1988. The Pacific Princess was sold for parts recently :( They should have kept it and used it as a museum or "hotel" - it didn't have the sail, just stay somewhere. That would have been cool!!!

It's been quite some time since Princess was in Miami. Anyone know why they left? For those in Texas - how far apart is Houston & Galveston?

Told DH that next year may be our last cruise for a while. The prices have gotten so high. Unless we can get an awesome last minute deal - we just can't afford it anymore. IMHO, (for a balcony cabin) $1,400 - $2,300 per person is a bit steep for a 7 day Caribbean. You can do a 7 day Alaskan for less than that!

We really want to do a TA on the new Royal in 2014. We will have to wait and see what their prices are for that though.

That article was dated 1988. The Pacific Princess was sold for parts recently :( They should have kept it and used it as a museum or "hotel" - it didn't have the sail, just stay somewhere. That would have been cool!!!

It's been quite some time since Princess was in Miami. Anyone know why they left? For those in Texas - how far apart is Houston & Galveston?

Told DH that next year may be our last cruise for a while. The prices have gotten so high. Unless we can get an awesome last minute deal - we just can't afford it anymore. IMHO, (for a balcony cabin) $1,400 - $2,300 per person is a bit steep for a 7 day Caribbean. You can do a 7 day Alaskan for less than that!

We really want to do a TA on the new Royal in 2014. We will have to wait and see what their prices are for that though.

Pam did say "Never".

For those in Texas - how far apart is Houston & Galveston?

Downtown Houston to downtown Galvestion is about 50 miles.

Add about 20 more miles to get to IAH gtom Galveston (70 miles)

Subtract about 10 miles to get to HOU from Galveston (40 miles)

It is not just Princess that has to cut deals to fill up ships out of San Juan. RCCL has a trans-Atlantic this spring from San Juan to Lisbon. This 10-day cruise starts at $249 for a balcony cabin (plus the usual taxes). You do not see mainland TAs priced like that.

It seems ironic now that Southwest goes to San Juan, cruise ships are pulling out. If I remember correctly, AirTran has been flying to San Juan for a few years. Southwest bought AirTran and has now switched those flights to the Southwest brand.

see above in red

WOW that TA on RCCL is a good deal!!!! Too bad we already have a cruise booked in April. If we could get a deal like that in the Fall on the westbound - that would be great.

We have only sailed on Princess - but if other cruise lines have deals like that - we may need to look elsewhere.

Archived