Can you hire a taxi for an island tour?

Traceybell

Hi, I will be in St. Thomas on April 23 and have already booked the morning to do Snuba. I'd like to hire a taxi for a private island tour in the afternoon for a few hours. Any ideas how (or if) to find a good guide and pre-reserve?

Thanks - Tracey

Star Princess - 1991

Ecstasy - 1996

Grand Princess - Feb. 2002

Infinity - May 2003

Summit - April 2004

Lots of taxi tours on St. Thomas. Usually around $30 a couple for 1.5 hours... it will cost a bit more if you want a private tour. Try to find a driver that has a smaller van, if the driver has a safari that can hold 20-24 people they try to fill the safari so its more worth while or charge those that want a private tour more.

--Islander

For more information on the Virgin Islands visit http://www.***** the best guide to St. Thomas, St. Croix, St. John and Water Island. Includes a Cruise Guide to the USVI (ferry info, taxi rates, beach guide, dock info, cruies ship schedule and more).

• 1 month later...
  • 6 years later...

We were on the Norwegian Epic cruise on April 23rd. We had a horrible experience in St. Thomas April 27th with a taxi driver. She was a female driver, taxi number 0360 USVI.

My mother is in a wheelchair and initially no one would take us, then she agreed but when her cab did not fill up to full capacity she blamed this on us and yelled how she was “stuck with us!”

The conversation escalated with her threatening to drop us off in the middle of nowhere. She was incredibly mean, rude and was just a horrible first experience to be greeted in the Virgin Islands with.

Nat2011: While calling the taxi association to complain seems like the right thing to do, they will probably not be very helpful. The editors of St Thomas This Week, a publication with traveler information, ask for complaints to be registered. Their number is 340-774-2500, and they need the taxi license (which you have) and the date.

The shenanigans of a small number of taxi drivers are problematic, both for the good drivers and residents. The Department of Tourism is 340-774-8784, as another option. I urge you to let them hear your story!

Archived