Epic Review 2/16/13 Pics and Dailies

Cruzface

Hello everyone, my wife (both of us 45) and two teen boys (17 and 15) returned from a really fantastic cruise on the Epic. This cruise was a series of firsts for us. We have cruised many times before, but this was our first NCL cruise. It was our first balcony (large) and first time the boys would be in their own room accross the hall :cool:. It was our first time cruising without our friends that we have cruised with every other time. It was the first time we participated in the Cruise Critic Meet and Greet, which we feel really stupid for not doing before. We also stepped outside of our comfort zone and made new friends, something we never did before because I think we were held back by the other family we cruised with.

Maybe for all these firsts it made it seem new and fresh, and we therefore had THE GREATEST CRUISE EVER. Not perfect of course because nothing is perfect, but the best cruise for us.

I realize this is a little late, but hopefully it will not disappoint. When we returned from Epic we realized that our family dog of 14 1/2 years was very ill and unfortunately we had to put him down. One of the hardest thing I have ever had to do.

GetAttachment1_zpsd426298f.jpg

Tino was a great friend and brought a great deal of joy to our lives.

Now, let's get on with the review...

I will do this in categories. Pre-cruise, ship, stateroom, dining, ports, entertainment, embarkation, disembarkation, etc. Not necessarily in that order.

Pre-Cruise:

We flew in the day before and stayed at the Holiday Inn Express right across from Bayside. Great location, great hotel, great restaurant (or were we just starving), very bad weather. It was freakin pouring. Who cares, we are cruising tomorrow.

GetAttachment64_zps600d8205.jpg

GetAttachment313_zps01ebf8ed.jpg

Cant wait to read your review. My condolences to your family about Tino. We have a dog that will be 13 this year and thankfully she is pretty healthy. But I know the pain involved with the decision your family went through, especially just coming back from a cruise.

GOD BLESS YOU and THANK YOU for the picture of Tino!!!!! :) He was quite than handsome dog. My female chow chow would have been in LOVE.

Edited by david_sobe

We went to Bayside, in the rai. No band, few people, but a new bar:

GetAttachment65_zpsf9ede2fa.jpg

And an old bar:

GetAttachment72_zps64f43c0c.jpg

The pics get better, these are IPhone pics...

Disappointing night, but we woke up to this:

P2150939_zps56bb9778.jpg

Had a quick breakfast and headed to the ship before 10:00 a.m. This was our first view:

P2150948_zpsa6e15318.jpg

Embarkation: Ridiculously easy. We were about the 20th people in line and once through the scanners and received our cards, we were Group 1. Yeah baby! I needed to get on quick to get those Posh passes...more on that later... OH the controversy!!!

P2150955_zps3a11ccd4.jpg

P2150956_zps1b1f9d19.jpg

P2150957_zps4b60a7b5.jpg

P2150958_zps781e0afe.jpg

Never been greeted by cheering people before. It was kinda nice. Love that BING when you enter the ship!!! We were on board before noon. Let the party begin....!

Edited by Cruzface

Thanks for posting your review and pictures! Looking forward to the rest!

I am really sorry about your dog, I can very much relate and know how hard that is. A couple of years ago, we had to put down 2 of our dogs in one year, it was a very difficult year. Know that you did the right thing and your baby is now smiling down from you in heaven. :)

Thank you for your post. We leave on the Epic in 18 days, and are vey excited. We will have 3 teenagers with us. How did your sons enjoy the cruise? Did they have any favorite activities? Looking forward to the rest of your review and pictures.

I'm really sorry to hear about Tino

Before I even read further I want to say I am so, so sorry about your dog. I have a Maltese named Nico who will be 8 in August (I just can't believe it). She is the first dog I've ever had and is my best friend and constant companion and I truly love her as my child (I don't have any human kids). The day I dread most is the day she is no longer with me and it's so hard to even think about. I've been wanting to sign up for a pet loss support group ever since she was like 2 because that was the first realization I had that more than likely, I would outlive her. My parents' Airedale terrier died suddenly at a "doggy spa" facility over thanksgiving so I am especially empathetic to your loss. :(

Hello everyone, my wife (both of us 45) and two teen boys (17 and 15) returned from a really fantastic cruise on the Epic. This cruise was a series of firsts for us. We have cruised many times before, but this was our first NCL cruise. It was our first balcony (large) and first time the boys would be in their own room accross the hall :cool:. It was our first time cruising without our friends that we have cruised with every other time. It was the first time we participated in the Cruise Critic Meet and Greet, which we feel really stupid for not doing before. We also stepped outside of our comfort zone and made new friends, something we never did before because I think we were held back by the other family we cruised with.

Maybe for all these firsts it made it seem new and fresh, and we therefore had THE GREATEST CRUISE EVER. Not perfect of course because nothing is perfect, but the best cruise for us.

I realize this is a little late, but hopefully it will not disappoint. When we returned from Epic we realized that our family dog of 14 1/2 years was very ill and unfortunately we had to put him down. One of the hardest thing I have ever had to do.

I will do this in categories. Pre-cruise, ship, stateroom, dining, ports, entertainment, embarkation, disembarkation, etc. Not necessarily in that order.

Pre-Cruise:

We flew in the day before and stayed at the Holiday Inn Express right across from Bayside. Great location, great hotel, great restaurant (or were we just starving), very bad weather. It was freakin pouring. Who cares, we are cruising tomorrow.

Thank you for your post. We leave on the Epic in 18 days, and are vey excited. We will have 3 teenagers with us. How did your sons enjoy the cruise? Did they have any favorite activities? Looking forward to the rest of your review and pictures.

I'm really sorry to hear about Tino

The boys loved the cruise. They were a little skeptically first because this was the first time they were cruising without their friends (same age boys). They made new friends who they have already visited post cruise!

As for favorite activities, I would say the basketball court and the slides were the top spots for them. They did go to the teen club, but they said it was very cliquey very fast.

Edited by Cruzface

Thankyou for your review. Im looking forward to more.

Im sorry for the loss of your Tino. I have been through this also and know the sadness. Our furbabies give us years of joy, then ultimately heartache, but leave us with a lifetime of wonderful memories.

Thankyou for your review. Im looking forward to more.

Im sorry for the loss of your Tino. I have been through this also and know the sadness. Our furbabies give us years of joy, then ultimately heartache, but leave us with a lifetime of wonderful memories.

Pets are put on earth to teach humans one simple lesson

Life is not forever!

Pre-Cruise:

I'm so sorry about your family friend. I had to put my Max down a few years back and I still miss him terribly.

I just got the Epic 3/2 and will be writing my review soon. Can't wait to share stories.

So sorry to hear about the loss of your beloved Tino.......never an easy choice to make when they are sick! :(

But glad you enjoyed your Epic cruise......enjoying sharing your journey so far and looking forward to more! :)

Edited by meltingmoments

I'm also very sorry to hear about Tino. I lost my "two girls" (black Labradors, Mom and Daughter) three years ago. Ellie was 14 and Whitney her Daughter died 2months later of a broken heart..... I miss them every day xx

1st NCL sailing on Epic in July. Can't wait to hear more.

This is how we get the party started:

GetAttachment311_zps2af1c7ce.jpg

Once on board, we went straight to guest services to get duplicate cards (so we could get into the boys' room) and buy our week Posh Pass. While we were waiting (2d in line), I snapped this pic of the Atrium Bar:

P2150959_zps7a1912e3.jpg

Our first view of the Epic from Posh:

P2160985_zpsaeaab142.jpg

Posh the most empty we would see it all week:

P2160986_zps83893b96.jpg

Next up: Sail Away