Cruise Critic Community
cruise&dive

Guide in Crete Recommended Another

I've read many recommendations for a certain taxi driver/guide in Crete, but unfortunately he is busy the day we are in port. He has suggested a friend (I do not have a name) to do a similar tour. Has anyone used a friend of Lefty in Crete? Thanks so much.

Not yet but we are in October.

We used Lefty on our last visit to Crete (Nov 2011) and he was amazing. When I went to book him this trip he was also already booked. But I feel totally comfortable using anyone he would recommend.

With Lefty's stellar recommendation, imho, he would not recommend anyone that would jeopardize that reputation. Lefty was already booked last May during our cruise, however recommended a colleague, "Yiannis" (sp?) who picked us up promptly as arranged in Mercedes sedan. Provided an absolutely excellent and identical tour route to the same sites that Lefty goes to, a highlight of which was a real local marketplace where we bought some amazing olive oil, spices, olive oil soap, mosaic bowl, and pashima scarves for about 1/3 of the cost at tourist stops. We later joined up with Lefty and another couple touring with him for an authentic lunch with local Cretans in a rural outdoor food locale of the freshest tomatoes, olives, cheese, veggies, yogurt, honey & wine that I have ever tasted. We had been cautioned that there will be other drivers that will be at the Crete port who are more local to the area (Lefty is from the other side of Crete) and may be a bit jealous of the amount of business that Lefty gets and perceive he is infringing on their business.

With Lefty's stellar recommendation, imho, he would not recommend anyone that would jeopardize that reputation. Lefty was already booked last May during our cruise, however recommended a colleague, "Yiannis" (sp?) who picked us up promptly as arranged in Mercedes sedan. Provided an absolutely excellent and identical tour route to the same sites that Lefty goes to, a highlight of which was a real local marketplace where we bought some amazing olive oil, spices, olive oil soap, mosaic bowl, and pashima scarves for about 1/3 of the cost at tourist stops. We later joined up with Lefty and another couple touring with him for an authentic lunch with local Cretans in a rural outdoor food locale of the freshest tomatoes, olives, cheese, veggies, yogurt, honey & wine that I have ever tasted. We had been cautioned that there will be other drivers that will be at the Crete port who are more local to the area (Lefty is from the other side of Crete) and may be a bit jealous of the amount of business that Lefty gets and perceive he is infringing on their business.

That lunch was a-m-a-z-i-n-g !!! My dh does not eat olives....but was scarfing those up like candy :D HaHa...... And I don't care for yogurt but that yogurt with honey was so gooooood ! Cant wait to get back to Crete this October !

I sure hope I spelled his name right. We too booked with Lefty but he was busy so he had Gregorius meet us for a tour of Crete. What a guy. First he took us to a couple of historic sites and when we returned to the car he had some water and Greek pastries for us. Off to town for an hour or so of shopping. A few more sites in town and then we went out to the countryside to wineries, olive orchards and even pointed out his house. Then back to the beach to see the resort areas before heading back to the ship.

All travel was in his Mercedes. He was on time and so accommodating. We talked of history, politics and life in Crete. He made us feel like family for the 5 hours we were with him.

Lefty comes with many recommendations and his driver friend, Gregorius, should be added to his list of great drivers too. We knew Lefty wouldn't steer us wrong and he didn't. We wish both of them the best.

Al & Karen

We are back and once again we had a perfect day on Crete.

Lefty sent George for our guide and he was great ! Since we had been before he gave us some options for our day that were a bit different from our last visit.

He took us to a wonderful monastery where when we drove up there was a service taking place. What a beautiful sound coming from inside...... we went inside but stayed in the back and it was really a "local" experience. Since it was a Monday, the only reason we got to experience this was because it was a National Holiday - Ochi Day. There was a parade in Chania and Greek flags everywhere !!! We also went to Aptera, the Roman baths and the Venetian fort nearby. We also visited the harbor and the large park above the city. Then we headed into the countryside - my favorite part. We visited his village and also had the famous "lunch" which was just as good as I remembered :D We had Raki and I downed the shot in one gulp. He poured another and down it went. Well, it seems that I impressed a table full of local gents nearby and they proceeded to buy us another caraf of Raki JUST FOR ME ;) Needless to say I did one more obligatory thank you shot and staggered out to the car :eek: Not really but I did have a great nap when I got back to the ship !

Crete is such an amazing place...one of our favorites and the people are warm and friendly. Perhaps one day we will get back for a more intense land visit and explore more of this island.

We used Lefteris on October 29 and his service was excellent.

He provided a very knowledgeable and well spoken guide , a comfortable Mercedes vehicle , a very good driver & Lefteris was with us organizing everything.

The day was planned perfect. The lunch was excellent and there were a lot of happy people in our group.