Coki Beach Dive Club -- great experience!

dashulak

We were in St. Thomas in late March 2004.

My husband and I are both certified divers (although we haven't done any diving in over 10 year -- since we've had children). We were looking for an opportunity to get back in the water ourselves, as well as introduce our children to scuba.

Coki Beach Dive Club was mentioned in the guidebook, [I]Curising tghe Eastern Caribbean[/I] by Laura & Diane Rapp, and we got more info. on their website: [url="http://www.cokidive.com/index.htm"]Coki Beach Dive Club[/url].

Our daughter, age 8, participated in the [B]Bubble Makers [/B]program which allows kids ages 8 and 9 to go to a depth of 6 feet. Our son, age 10, did [B]Discover Scuba Diving[/B] which allows kids age 10 and over to go to a depth of 40 feet.

After a brief "classroom" session explaining some scuba basics such as continuous breathing, equalizing pressure, hand signals, etc., the four of us suited up and entered the water with our divemaster. We enjoyed a relaxing 30 minute dive. After the kids tested some basic skills, like breathing on an octopus and clearing their masks, we explored the lagoon.

Our divemaster, Chris, was great! He showed the kids lots of interesting things and allowed them to hold a sea urchin, a sand dollar, and more. We fed dog biscuits to the fish, allowing us a closer look. My husband and son went out later with Chris for another 30 minute dive to 40 feet and saw a huge lobster. Both kids are anxious to become certified divers, now!

The beach itself was absolutely gorgeous! There was a heavy thunderstorm while we were there, but we used the time to enjoy sodas and the best hot dogs we'd ever tasted at a beach bar! (Funny, how after diving, food always tastes great!) When the rain ended, we returned to the beach. The kids played in the surf for several hours while my husband and I relaxed on the beach. The only negative was that the storm knocked out the electricity to the area which resulted in the toilets not working. (I guess they use some type of electrical pumps?)

We paid about 50% less by booking directly with Coki Beach Dive Club. They also picked us up at the pier in the morning for free. (We had to pay our own way back to the pier.) Also, the cruise ship didn't offer the Bubble Makers program and the minimum age for Discover Scuba Diving was 12 if booked throught the ship. Not only did we get a better deal (price), we received personalized service. I highly recommend Coki Beach Dive Club for a great, family scuba and beach experience!

Debra

Carnival Destiny 3/04
Carnival Legend 4/03
Grand Princess 4/02
Nordic Empress 7/99
Nordic Empress 7/95

• 4 weeks later...
Taxis are readily available at Coki Beach.

We didn't do Coral World because our kids were very content just "body surfing" along the beach.

Debra

Carnival Destiny 3/04
Carnival Legend 4/03
Grand Princess 4/02
Nordic Empress 7/99
Nordic Empress 7/95

Thanks for the info. This is what we're planning to do too, but it's not cut in stone. We're travelling with our two young kids (3 and 4) and my parents. I really want to get diving, but my DH doesn't care one way or another. I thought this would be a great place where the rest of them can do Coral World while I get my diving fix. I have a question for you though. Do you really have to reserve in advance, or can I just show up and pick up a dive? It sounds like a pretty informal operation.

Thanks for the information.We just called Coki Dive club and are booked for June 30th. They are picking us up at the dock. It is free for divers and $10.00 for any non-divers.

Does Coki Beach have chairs or lounges on the beach? Can our non-diver watch us from the beach, or do you enter somewhere else to start the dive? Also, does anyone know how far Megans Bay is from Coki Beach??

Thanks!

DCL Magic 3/99
DCL Wonder 1/00
DCL Wonder 8/01
Imagination 6/02
DCL Wonder 1/03
Carnival Glory 7/03
DCL Wonder 12/03
DCL Magic 5/04
Fantasy 12/04

Hello Mermaid,

Magens Bay is about a 15-18 minute drive from Coki Beach.

--Islander

For more information on the Virgin Islands visit [url="http://www.VInow.com"]http://www.VInow.com[/url] the best guide to St. Thomas, St. Croix, St. John and Water Island. Includes a Cruise Guide to the USVI (ferry info, taxi rates, beach guide, dock info, cruies ship schedule and more).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Do you really have to reserve in advance, or can I just show up and pick up a dive?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can just show up, but remember that many of the cruise ships use Coki Beach Dive Club for their shore excursions. Dozens of other divers from the cruise ships were there at the same time as us. We appreciated the personalized service we received and our divemaster steered us clear of the crowds.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Does Coki Beach have chairs or lounges on the beach?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are chairs available for rental from independent vendors. I don't know the cost.

Debra

Carnival Destiny 3/04
Carnival Legend 4/03
Grand Princess 4/02
Nordic Empress 7/99
Nordic Empress 7/95

Archived