One discontinued Royal Princess feature they did not mention

yyjguy

I can't see Princess Cruises completely eliminating live music and dancing. Like you have said, we'll have to wait and see until after we start getting live reports from her sailings in the Med this summer. I'm sure they will re-purpose areas nightly and have dancing with a live band in the other venues like the Vista Lounge, The Piazza, Princess Live!, or topside near the dancing water fountains. Should those venues not suit, and it turns out to be an absolute deal breaker, then there are plenty of other ships and cruise lines that do offer this sort of entertainment. They'll just have to give a pass on trying these new ships in favor of the ones they do like.

Of the locations you mentioned, only the Vista Lounge is practical for ballroom type dancing with a live band.

Piazza - not a good venue for dancing. Too much else going on there all the time. Even on the existing ships when a band plays at the start of the Captain's Welcome party, very few people get up and dance (too crowded and passengers spread over three decks).

Princess Live - No indication there is a dance floor. Also it has stadium seating which does not lend itself to getting up and down to dance.

Topside - Besides the obvious problems with weather, MUTS is also there in that area.

As far as Princess Live! is concerned, they have mentioned that the seating can be reconfigured for many different types of music entertainment uses. Not sure how that is going to work, but it has been mentioned.

There is a live band stage below the Juliet Balcony at MUTS. It was also mentioned that this is where they will be playing from at night during dancing topside.

The ground floor of The Piazza looks to be quite a bit larger than the atriums of other Princess ships. This may lend space for some social events at the Captains Welcome Party including dancing.

Did people ball room dance in the Wheelhouse Bar? Real ball room dancing? Or was it just dancing to that kind of music? Seems like you would need a fairly large floor for that, similar to what Queen Mary 2 has in the Queens Room.

Here's what I think of when someone mentions 'ballroom dancing':

443px-Бальный_танец.jpg

Discounting the fact the ship is a new design and a novelty, why would you pick the Royal over another grand type ship.

Discounting the fact that all Princess ships are basically clones, why would anyone pick any Grand-class over another? Can't be that they offer exciting and different features on the all of the different ships, because basically they are all the same.

Royal Princess is not a clone. Something you can not discount when considering wanting to stay within the Princess Cruises brand, but having the desire to try something that's not a clone. It offers a completely different style and decor, many different new venues that none of the other ships in the entire fleet have, and offers the chance to escape completely from the clone world of the decor and unchanged dated 'Golden Girls' colors of the Grand-class and all of it's siblings.

Royal Princess, and her sister Regal Princess, offer 'different'. And some people like that. If not, try one of the other 16 ships in the fleet. There's something for everyone.

Hi Ernie,

Discussion doesn't start off like this: :mad: Maybe a :(, but not 'anger'. Then it ceases to be a 'discussion' and more about yelling.

And there is a distinct difference between what some do, a civil 'discussion', and that of what others do, and that is incessant whining every time they get the chance to jump on any (and every) anti-Royal Princess thread and post the same whine. Maybe at one point, sometime last year when the other thread was burning up the charts, it was a point of individual concern. But after posting the same concern over, and over, and over, and over....for a year, then it becomes whining. We get it already, some hate the Royal Princess for what's it not, but there are tens of thousands who are already booked who will enjoy the ship for what it is.

I'm all for intelligent conversation, and you are one of the best at logically stating both sides of a viewpoint while expressing your own standing, but the constant pounding this ship has received from some of the loyalist (turned haters) is beyond me.

As it's been said before, the Royal Princess is not perfect. If someone dislikes it THAT much, then please do not sail her, sail one of the other 16 ships Princess Cruises has to offer that DO have the features you require. If they fail to offer what you want, try Cunard, or Holland-America. But do we really need to hear the same anti-Royal Princess whining, from the same people, on every thread?

That, is not discussion.

like-button-150x150.png

I agree David that no one should be mad or angry when discussing the features or lack or features of RP. I personally don't see this thread as bashing. I think people are simply expressing some things they may miss in the design of RP. I don't know who the "same people" are or if the same concerns have been repeated over and over again? I haven't been keeping up with the Princess threads to that extent. This one grabbed my attention because the fitness center and spa are two areas I frequent often when I take cruises, and yes I have my concerns about the design of these separated facilities on RP. It may not be a problem or it might be, but I see no harm in discussing it in advance. That is what we do after all, discuss ships.

My only word of caution is don't take all this so seriously or personally. I realize you have a lot invested in RP as you are sailing on her and have been enjoying all the updates and announcements regarding the ship. Nothing wrong with that and it's great to be so excited about something! Of course not everyone is going to like the ship and some people may point out the faults maybe even more than once. That is fine too. It's nothing against you personally and you alone are not going to persuade everyone to love RP. The name of this forum says it all, "Cruise Critic". Yes there are going to be armchair critics (which we are all right now concerning RP) and whiners and that will never change. Likewise there are going to be the cheerleaders where Princess and RP can do not wrong no matter how bad something may be. That can be just as annoying as the whiners in a different way. As I've mentioned before I prefer a more balanced approach as just like life, nothing is perfect. RP is not going to be perfect. I do think she will be a comfortable and enjoyable ship and probably a good design to take Princess to the next evolution. Revolutionary she is not, but she does appear to be a nice evolution from the Grand Class. If nothing else it's exciting to finally have a new design! I plan to sail on her myself and I plan to have a great time on her, but honestly I don't expect to be blown away by what I have seen ... which is not necessarily a bad thing. That is not what Princess is about after all. Let Royal Caribbean and NCL be the innovators. There is room for everyone!

Anyway don't let your passion for RP fade but at the same time there is no need to get overly defensive regarding the ship. Remember at the end of the day it is just a ship!

Ernie

Anyway don't let your passion for RP fade but at the same time there is no need to get overly defensive regarding the ship. Remember at the end of the day it is just a ship!

Ernie

David I forgot to mention the only reason I provide this advice is because I have learned from my own experience. Like you I have been very passionate about various ships in the past and would sometimes get defensive when others put it down, or try to convince them otherwise. I found it's a losing battle and the only one that gets frustrated is you. It's just not worth it. Anyway I try not to get too worked up or attached to a ship or line anymore, at least not publicly. I also realize everyone is not going to like exactly what I do and that I have to respect that, and the fact they can voice that opinion sometimes more than once.

Anyway just trying to save you some grief!

Remember at the end of the day it is just a ship!

Ernie

Hi Ernie,

Thanks for the straight talk. As much as I have invested in Royal Princess, and it is a lot as far as the hundreds of hours of personal time I have dedicated to the one thread, it would only take a phone call to cancel my cruise and I wouldn't even look back. But we both know that isn't going to happen because I too am looking forward to this ship for the same reasons you are; it's refreshing to finally see a brand new design come from Princess Cruises and to have the chance to experience it first hand. If it were not for this new Princess design I would be cruising Norwegian Gem, Norwegian Breakaway, or Celebrity Constellation this December, and I'm sure you know that. And I can see things on the Royal Princess I would miss from Ruby Princess (argh, and you know how I really felt about that cruise), but I'm not going to carp on it every thread. If I missed them that much I would just cruise Ruby Princess again. Not kick the dead horse.

And it wasn't specifically this thread or the main topic from the OP I was referring to when I mentioned the 'band wagon' posters; it's all the other threads and negative references (with no discussion involved) to a ship that no one has ever set foot on, seen in person, much less know anything about it other than preview videos and deck plans. It's akin to someone hating sushi and all Japanese food, who has never tried it, because they hate raw fish. I can see them now standing out in front of every sushi restaurant in town telling prospective customers how awful it is and whats wrong with it when they've never tried it. No one is waiting to read the first reviews or see the first real pictures before they completely write off this ship. They truly put the 'critic' in Cruise Critic.

But you're quite right, sometimes it's a losing battle talking to those so dug into their trenches.

With that said, maybe in the following weeks and months as we come to learn more about this ship, the riddles of all those 'concerns' expressed will be solved and we can all go about our merry way.

But let there be no doubt that June, July, and August will literally flood this forum with Royal Princess news, reviews, and pictures.

And I can't wait. :D

But you're quite right, sometimes it's a losing battle talking to those so dug into their trenches.

With that said, maybe in the following weeks and months as we come to learn more about this ship, the riddles of all those 'concerns' expressed will be solved and we can all go about our merry way.

Chin up my friend and carry on! Just know that RP is not going to be perfect, but then again no ship is! Enjoy it for what it is and don't fret about what others have to say. There are some valid concerns with the ship for sure, but nothing that would stop me from sailing on her!

Ernie

As far as Princess Live! is concerned, they have mentioned that the seating can be reconfigured for many different types of music entertainment uses. Not sure how that is going to work, but it has been mentioned.

There is a live band stage below the Juliet Balcony at MUTS. It was also mentioned that this is where they will be playing from at night during dancing topside.

The ground floor of The Piazza looks to be quite a bit larger than the atriums of other Princess ships. This may lend space for some social events at the Captains Welcome Party including dancing.

Did people ball room dance in the Wheelhouse Bar? Real ball room dancing? Or was it just dancing to that kind of music? Seems like you would need a fairly large floor for that, similar to what Queen Mary 2 has in the Queens Room.

443px-Бальный_танец.jpg

We, also, have been known to do "real" ballroom dancing at the Wheelhouse Bar (I see you snapped a photo of us on our last cruise:p). The key is a wood dance floor (see photo). The typical dance floor in the atrium is marble, very sticky for ballroom shoes, and in the nightclubs is glass or metal, also not good. Dancing in ballroom shoes on deck near the (wet) pools would ruin the shoes. Just picture yourself on a Caribbean cruise going on deck on formal night to dance before dinner. You'd need a shower and a change of clothes afterwards.

Also, note that they did away with the Explorer's Club, which usually had another dance band doing faster tempo music. With the changes to these two venues, Princess can eliminate two bands.

FYI: Royal Caribbean and Celebrity have been moving away from ballroom dancing for some time, now. On our last Celebrity cruise, the only ballroom dancing was in the atrium to a DJ playing music from an iPod. For an hour. Except on formal night when the photographers took over the atrium for those all-important formal portraits.

Art

Also, note that they did away with the Explorer's Club, which usually had another dance band doing faster tempo music. With the changes to these two venues, Princess can eliminate two bands.

FYI: Royal Caribbean and Celebrity have been moving away from ballroom dancing for some time, now. On our last Celebrity cruise, the only ballroom dancing was in the atrium to a DJ playing music from an iPod. For an hour. Except on formal night when the photographers took over the atrium for those all-important formal portraits.

Art

Art,

I think Cunard is the line for you! While I don't ballroom dance, I've taken many Cunard cruises and the dance floor is packed with ballroom dancers. It also doesn't hurt that they have the largest ballrooms at sea (with wood dance floors) and even Gentleman Hosts to dance with the single ladies. Even though I don't ballroom dance, I do enjoy watching it and everyone dresses the part as well.

From the sounds of it, RP is probably not going to be as good as the other ships in the Princess fleet for this type of dancing. I guess all ships can't be all things to everyone. At least you have lots of other choices in the Princess fleet to choose from, and perhaps RP won't be as bad as you think (for ballroom dancing) once the actual reports and real pictures start rolling in.

Ernie

We also ballroom dance. We have met some wonderful people on the dance floor. I always look forward to those evenings. There are more than a few ballroom dancers around. You really do need a wood floor. And water is a no no to dance shoes with suede on the bottom. I think we all go and enjoy. I'm sure Princess is aware of the requirements of a good dance floor. I would think they will continue the tradition with ballroom dancing more popular than ever.

We also ballroom dance. We have met some wonderful people on the dance floor. I always look forward to those evenings. There are more than a few ballroom dancers around. You really do need a wood floor. And water is a no no to dance shoes with suede on the bottom. I think we all go and enjoy. I'm sure Princess is aware of the requirements of a good dance floor. I would think they will continue the tradition with ballroom dancing more popular than ever.

I had no idea. Now I can finally see why dancing topside would not be an option. Thanks for enlightening me! :D

Art,

I think Cunard is the line for you! While I don't ballroom dance, I've taken many Cunard cruises and the dance floor is packed with ballroom dancers. It also doesn't hurt that they have the largest ballrooms at sea (with wood dance floors) and even Gentleman Hosts to dance with the single ladies. Even though I don't ballroom dance, I do enjoy watching it and everyone dresses the part as well.

From the sounds of it, RP is probably not going to be as good as the other ships in the Princess fleet for this type of dancing. I guess all ships can't be all things to everyone. At least you have lots of other choices in the Princess fleet to choose from, and perhaps RP won't be as bad as you think (for ballroom dancing) once the actual reports and real pictures start rolling in.

Ernie

Hi Ernie,

Well said. Until we know for sure there is always Cunard, which would be a wonderful fit for those wanting to continue and expand their ballroom dancing should Princess Cruises begin to cut down or phase out this type of entertainment in the other ships in their expansive fleet. There are always good deals on the Queen Mary 2 transatlantics, and the Queens Room is stunning.

443px-Бальный_танец.jpg

That is a picture of coreographed performance dance, rather than ballroom partner dance. There is a huge difference.

There are almost always some very good partner dancers on Princess ships--actully as many, if not more, than we saw on the QM2, although the QM2 does have a larger floor. Truth be told, because of the dance hosts (who typically are really not very good dances) and their partners, who usually move quite slowly, the Cunard floor was more crowded and difficult to navigate than the smaller Wheelhouse floors.

Like Pmorton3360, we always meet lovely dancers in the Wheelhouse and after the first few days form a very nice group of dancers. We have actually become ongoing friends with quite a few people we have met dancing on ships.

Hopefully, Princess will continue to provide nightly partner dance opportunities with live music on a good wooden floor. You cannot, by the way, maintain a good wooden dance floor outside.

On the small ships (Ocean, Pacific) Princess often has the band playing dance music for about 20 minutes in the theater (where there is a dance floor)before the evening shows begin.

There was one couple who always came to this 20 minutes of dancing before both shows each evening and then left before the show began. Obviously to them, the dancing was an important part of their cruise experience.

I can't see Princess Cruises completely eliminating live music and dancing.

I can. I noticed that the show ONCE UPON A DREAM uses

only recorded music. This is the first production show I

have seen like this. But, I don't know if it is the start of

a trend.

Has anyone found the answer? Is the sauna and steam facility now an extra charge feature, or included as in the past?

Received this from Princess Cruises today:

'The Fitness Center will not have a sauna or steam room, but we will be offering a Steam Shower in the Fitness Center.

Also, the Lotus Spa changing rooms will no longer provide a steam room or sauna. This was a difficult decision to make but necessary in order for us to accommodate our new, expansive Enclave at Lotus Spa which includes the first ever (for Princess) Hydropool, Hammam, Caldarium, Laconium, shower experience, heated loungers and two water beds.

The new Enclave at Lotus Spa replaces the thermal suite aboard Royal Princess and there will be a charge to enjoy and relax in this incredible new space.'

For details on the Enclave at Lotus Spa see these links:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=36784165&postcount=193

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=36784168&postcount=194

OK, here is my take on the new builds and I hope not to offend anyone, just to add my take/opinion.

Most of the new additions are geared for the female passengers. I do not know of any male passengers who really enjoy the Santuary or plan to enjoy the Enclave at Lotus Spa, Hydropool, Hammam, Caldarium, Laconium, shower experience, heated loungers and two water beds. Sounds just way to over the top.

Had the person in charge of ship design actually polled the male passengers separately from the female passengers and then compared the answers, then she would have found a completely different demographic. Even if there was a cruise long charge for the locker/steam/sauna area, the male passengers would be willing to pay for it. It is part and parcel of the men's work out regime

This is not meant as sexist as there are many many things on ships that are geared toward women and couples, but there are not many areas that are "just for men"

just sayin

Received this from Princess Cruises today:

'The Fitness Center will not have a sauna or steam room, but we will be offering a Steam Shower in the Fitness Center.

Also, the Lotus Spa changing rooms will no longer provide a steam room or sauna. This was a difficult decision to make but necessary in order for us to accommodate our new, expansive Enclave at Lotus Spa which includes the first ever (for Princess) Hydropool, Hammam, Caldarium, Laconium, shower experience, heated loungers and two water beds.

The new Enclave at Lotus Spa replaces the thermal suite aboard Royal Princess and there will be a charge to enjoy and relax in this incredible new space.'

For details on the Enclave at Lotus Spa see these links:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=36784165&postcount=193

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=36784168&postcount=194

Well I guess this just confirms the suspicion that there won't be a sauna or steam room in the fitness center. Seems like a bigger ship with bigger out of pocket expense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I guess this just confirms the suspicion that there won't be a sauna or steam room in the fitness center. Seems like a bigger ship with bigger out of pocket expense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not quite sure what a Steam Shower is, or how it works, but I' pretty sure it can't replace a 'true' sauna or steam room at the Fitness Center. It does seem like they could have used the deck extension aft of the Fitness Center to incorporate these, but instead it appears to be an outside work out area. I don't use the Fitness Centers on ships, but understand completely through conversations with a friend who does, how this is a disappointment.

A steam shower is used by one person at a time (normally :) ) a steam room can service a few people at a time. I don't pay for spas on ships, love the included features. I don't like paying and committing to being at the spa at a certain time. I pay for a health club at home that I can visit easily.

OK with that new information I am disappointed that the new Royal won't have that feature. It is something that I have always enjoyed, a good long steam after a workout.:( On the Royal one would have to pay extra for access to the new Enclave and go down to the 5th deck after your workout instead of changing after your workout and heading directly to the steam room.

Archived