CUNARD "to LOOSEN UP "

suggabuttyboy

Quite possibly. :) With the new dress code anything is possible.

Peppermint suit anyone?

i-VWSJzdP-L.jpg

Maybe I'm confused, but isn't this currently allowed on semi-formal nights? It's only formal nights that require a tux or DARK suit, correct?

In fact, I find this outfit rather fetching. It's the lack of socks that trouble me. Also, his chin is going to give me nightmares.

Maybe I'm confused, but isn't this currently allowed on semi-formal nights? It's only formal nights that require a tux or DARK suit, correct?

In fact, I find this outfit rather fetching. It's the lack of socks that trouble me. Also, his chin is going to give me nightmares.

I noticed last night that the descriptions of the current 3-tier dress code has also been modified prior to the change to the 2-tier system.

Formal remains pretty much the same.

"Semi formal evenings would consist of an elegant dress, or smart trouser suit outfit for ladies, a smart shirt with tie and trousers with a blazer or sports jacket for men."

Elegant Casual nights require clothing such as stylish resort or leisure wear. Casual dresses or smart separates for ladies, open neck polo shirts and casual trousers (no jeans or shorts) for men. Jacket required but no tie. Children under 18 do not have a dress code but should dress as smart as possible in relation to the above." https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/dress_code

I noticed last night that the descriptions of the current 3-tier dress code has also been modified prior to the change to the 2-tier system.

Formal remains pretty much the same.

"Semi formal evenings would consist of an elegant dress, or smart trouser suit outfit for ladies, a smart shirt with tie and trousers with a blazer or sports jacket for men."

Elegant Casual nights require clothing such as stylish resort or leisure wear. Casual dresses or smart separates for ladies, open neck polo shirts and casual trousers (no jeans or shorts) for men. Jacket required but no tie. Children under 18 do not have a dress code but should dress as smart as possible in relation to the above." https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/dress_code

Interesting.... from my pre-voyage documents for our QE crossing next week:

Formal: Black tie or formal dark suit for gentlemen. Evening dress or formal attire for ladies.

Semi-formal: Jacket and tie for gentlemen. Cocktail dress or trouser suit for ladies. Jeans are not permitted.

Elegant Casual: Jacket required for gentlemen. Dress, skirt our trousers for ladies. Jeans are not permitted.

Apparently women on EC nights are permitted to go topless? :eek:

What do the Fashion Police have to say about sweat shirts after 6pm in the main dining areas? I accept they mention jackets but once in the restaurant I have visions of these being removed?? (question)

I was going to respond to this earlier, but I got distracted by that peppermint suit. Anyway, sure, there are a lot of 'lively' discussions on here but at least these discussions are (usually) entertaining. Other boards, which I won't mention, are boring by comparison.

Whitemarsh:

I started to read the Cunard Board in 2007 in preparation for our first transatlantic crossing in 2008 on QM2, and I must say that compared to the other cruise line forums that I used to frequent at that time, this board was a breath of fresh air.

True, back at that time, some posters were very 'stern' but they shared very valuable information for a first time Cunard traveler. Their posts, as the posts are now, were not only informative but humorous and the high regard that the QM2 was held was evident. After our first sailing, I came to understand their desire to keep the standards and quality of the brand intact. I was not prepared for feeling this same way about a ship, but she totally won my admiration and 'affection'.

In any case, dealing with people who hold strong opinions is just part of everyday life. If someone can't deal with that then missing out on a cruise is the least of their worries.

Exactly. There are strong opinions on other forums that deal with trying to sneak booze on board (when not allowed) and many on dress codes and the lack of same or the "It's my vacation and I'm going do what I want!" theme. However, those discussions are not usually conducted with the same civil tone and humour that those on this forum are discussed. Entering the 'smoking zone' threads on those forums one would need to be prepared for very STRONG opinions and Lysol spray. :eek: :D

best regards,

seasidegal

I just checked your sailing and according to the booking site's itinerary it appears there are still 5 formal nights and 7 casual nights, which by mathematical calculation on a 14 day sailing would suggest 2 semiformal nights.

It's 5 formal and 9 informal according to the new information we've got. Two of the formal nights are on the 2nd and 3rd nights. Don't care either way really, it's still going to be good.

Does anyone really care what the fashion police think.

David.

There has just been an official announcement that the entire constabulary of the Fashion Police will be aboard the Queen Elizabeth during her next World Cruise so in answer to that question .............. ;)

The good news is they have not figured out where to lock up all transgressors.

Did I say transgressors or transdressers.

A horse, a horse,

my kingdom for a ...

Sense of humour

Regards

John

Still not sure about the sweatshirt m'larky

It's 5 formal and 9 informal according to the new information we've got. Two of the formal nights are on the 2nd and 3rd nights. Don't care either way really, it's still going to be good.

How did they notify you? I haven't received anything and I would like to pack this weekend.... maybe I'd better call the dreaded 1-800 number :confused:

How did they notify you? I haven't received anything and I would like to pack this weekend.... maybe I'd better call the dreaded 1-800 number :confused:

Ginny, if I have this correct, you are on voyage Q307, the QE crossing from New York to Southampton, March 30 - April 7. The new dress code policy does not go into effect for the QE until voyage Q308 (Iberian Adventure) which departs Southampton on April 7. The dress code information you have should be correct for voyage Q307.

Regards,

John.

Interesting.... from my pre-voyage documents for our QE crossing next week:

Formal: Black tie or formal dark suit for gentlemen. Evening dress or formal attire for ladies.

Semi-formal: Jacket and tie for gentlemen. Cocktail dress or trouser suit for ladies. Jeans are not permitted.

Elegant Casual: Jacket required for gentlemen. Dress, skirt our trousers for ladies. Jeans are not permitted.

Apparently women on EC nights are permitted to go topless? :eek:

It is obvious that what is in the FAQ on the Cunard website -- is NOT what is written in their glossy Brochures. No mention at all of shirts in the glossy brochure.:D

Barry

There has just been an official announcement that the entire constabulary of the Fashion Police will be aboard the Queen Elizabeth during her next World Cruise so in answer to that question .............. ;)

The good news is they have not figured out where to lock up all transgressors.

Did I say transgressors or transdressers.

A horse, a horse,

my kingdom for a ...

Sense of humour

Regards

John

Still not sure about the sweatshirt m'larky

Transgressors or transgenders? :rolleyes:

I so want to book a crossing. Spouse is English. I have nothing but the best memories of QE2 when I was 11 and 19. But how.... I don't know that we would be comfortable dressing up every night, honestly. I know how to dress formally- I have long gowns and he has a tux- but it's that grey area of "elegant casual", whatever the hell that means, where I am lost. If that means cocktail dress for me and a suit for him then I would rather swim. Not a chance that he's wearing a suit five nights and a tux two. End of story.

So what is the real story?

Ginny, if I have this correct, you are on voyage Q307, the QE crossing from New York to Southampton, March 30 - April 7. The new dress code policy does not go into effect for the QE until voyage Q308 (Iberian Adventure) which departs Southampton on April 7. The dress code information you have should be correct for voyage Q307.

Regards,

John.

Thanks John! Yes you are correct, I am on the QE crossing, voyage Q307. It may actually be the tail end of a world cruise so it would make sense not to change the dress code mid stream.

What a relief.... I really didn't want to rethink what I would be packing :)

This is an extract from https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/dress_code_all

Please note that after 6pm, shorts and blue or worn denim (for men and women); sandals and sleeveless tops (for men) are not considered appropriate within the ship. On formal nights, any guests wishing to dress more casually are welcome to dine in the Kings Court or Lido main buffet restaurant and relax in the Winter Garden or Garden Lounge bar, but should not use other areas within the ship, including our Alternative Dining Restaurants, out of respect for their fellow guests.

I find the use of the word "should" an interesting choice as opposed to "are not allowed to".

I have always found that serious care should be taken when writing rules as they tend to be interpreted literally.

This is an extract from https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/dress_code_all

Please note that after 6pm, shorts and blue or worn denim (for men and women); sandals and sleeveless tops (for men) are not considered appropriate within the ship. On formal nights, any guests wishing to dress more casually are welcome to dine in the Kings Court or Lido main buffet restaurant and relax in the Winter Garden or Garden Lounge bar, but should not use other areas within the ship, including our Alternative Dining Restaurants, out of respect for their fellow guests.

I find the use of the word "should" an interesting choice as opposed to "are not allowed to".

I have always found that serious care should be taken when writing rules as they tend to be interpreted literally.

"Should" is probably meant to be genteel and make a request of the guest, rather than a requirement. How kind of them.

Or

It means this is what they'd like but they aren't going to do anything about people who don't follow the suggestion of the evening.

This discussion of King's court, one lounge, one bar is only in reference to Formal nights. There is no explanation of just how much "more casually" one should dress in those venues. And will it be a different level of "more casual" on informal nights?

Crossing on Q307 30 March. P-Grill, DW in gowns, me in tux. EVERY night! We're comfortable that way. I look forward to conversations about the new dress code coming up soon. I wonder if any on board will care.

We will be there as well..... here is the roll call for this sailing-

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1732375

Looking forward to sailing with you :)

Crossing on Q307 30 March. P-Grill, DW in gowns, me in tux. EVERY night! We're comfortable that way. I look forward to conversations about the new dress code coming up soon. I wonder if any on board will care.

Brightwaters, best wishes for a wonderful voyage. Happy to hear you are comfortable dressing in formal attire EVERY night. No, I don't think anyone will care what you or I wear on board. Bon voyage -S.

P.S. The first and last night of any voyage the dress code is not formal. But have it your own way.

I am appalled at this new onslaught by Carnival-The feedback from first time cruisers has prompted this headline.What about the loyal Cunarders ?There are plenty of other ships to accomodate people who do not want to dress up-I personally enjoy the special occasions onboard to dress up -it's the reason I book with them as do a lot of others-it's another sign of dumbing down-What next a climbing wall on QE ?

Yes,Rock climbing on Queen Elizabeth.. I like that idea

Archived