Cruise Critic Community
quanmama

Copenhagen or Berlin as embarkation and disembarkation port?

Hello--my family is planning to take a Baltic cruise in June 2014. We originally planned to be on Royal Princess, embarking and disembarking in Copenhagen. Then we realized that Princess is "staggering" the sailings by offering the option of embarkation and disembarkation in Berlin so we will be getting on the ship 3 days later (and get off later of course). We are debating which one to take now. We have never been to Copenhagen and would love to hang out there for a few days. However if we choose to embark and disembark in Berlin, then we could skip the very long excursion from Warnemunde to Berlin just to see the Berlin Wall and such. I would like to hear from folks who have been on this itinerary and what their experience were like. What have you done and would you want to have done it differently? How was the long excursion from Warnemunde to Berlin and back? Was it difficult to get from Berlin airport/central city to Warnemunde? Thank you!

You do realize that Berlin is located over 200 kilometres from the ocean. :D

Yes I do! :D That is why I am worried about the long drive from Warnemunde to Berlin.

I would price out flights to Berlin and Copenhagen and go from there. If you choose to embark in Berlin you need to add the fare to Warnemunde unless the cruise company has a shuttle to the port from Berlin.

Since I am particularly fond of Germany I'd go 3 days before, explore Berlin rent a car and see Hamburg and the rest of the area near Warnemunde (Luebeck, Wismar, Schwerin, Stralsund) then drop the car off at the port and start your cruise refreshed and ready to go.

Berlin is a 3 hour drive to the port, the Autobahn is well marked and you shouldn't have any problem driving around.

Edited by Sauer-kraut

I would price out flights to Berlin and Copenhagen and go from there. If you choose to embark in Berlin you need to add the fare to Warnemunde unless the cruise company has a shuttle to the port from Berlin.

Since I am particularly fond of Germany I'd go 3 days before, explore Berlin rent a car and see Hamburg and the rest of the area near Warnemunde (Luebeck, Wismar, Schwerin, Stralsund) then drop the car off at the port and start your cruise refreshed and ready to go.

Berlin is a 3 hour drive to the port, the Autobahn is well marked and you shouldn't have any problem driving around.

Thank you for your great advice. We have never driven in Europe before and I am not sure if my husband would like the idea, but it is definitely something we could consider. Princess charges $159 one way per person for the transfer from Berlin to Warnemunde. That is quite expensive in my opinion. I would rather take the train.

Thank you for your great advice. We have never driven in Europe before and I am not sure if my husband would like the idea, but it is definitely something we could consider. Princess charges $159 one way per person for the transfer from Berlin to Warnemunde. That is quite expensive in my opinion. I would rather take the train.

Hi,

You are quite right, the cruise company transfer is very expensive.

By comparison the taxi fare from Tegel Airport to Berlin Hbf is around 20-25 euros and the train fare from Berlin to Warnemünde via Rostock with DB - 39.10 euros per person or Berlin direct to Warnemünde with InterConnex - 27 euros per person.

Happy cruising :)

Anni.

Hi,

You are quite right, the cruise company transfer is very expensive.

By comparison the taxi fare from Tegel Airport to Berlin Hbf is around 20-25 euros and the train fare from Berlin to Warnemünde via Rostock with DB - 39.10 euros per person or Berlin direct to Warnemünde with InterConnex - 27 euros per person.

Happy cruising :)

Anni.

Thank you very much for the information. I am inclined to go with InterConnex since it is direct. Any idea about luggage storage space on the InterConnex trains? We will have one piece of luggage per person and will try packing light since we could do self service laundry on Princess's ship. BTW which station is considered the Central train station in Berlin? Is it Berlin Hauptbahnhof? Looks like there are buses we could take at Hauptbahnhofin station in Berlin which will get us to TXL directly?

Edited by quanmama

Yes the TXL express bus runs directly from Berlin HBF (Central Station) at the bus stop Washingtonplatz/Hauptbahnhof to Tegel Airport.

Just note that Tegel might be out of service by then - also check for Flughafen Berlin Brandenburg Willy Brandt

Just note that Tegel might be out of service by then

We can hope - but I wouldn't hold my breath! :rolleyes:

I would like to bet that its not ready :D

Your are probably right however, opening during 2014 might make sens - latest scheduled opening was 27 October 2013 but right now "Technical problems with the fire protection system have led to a delay in the opening of Berlin Brandenburg Airport. A new opening date has yet to be set"

Berlin Brandenburg Willy Brandt Airport (IATA: BER) is located in Schönefeld 18 km (11 mi) south of the city centre of Berlin. It is intended to replace Tegel Airport and Schönefeld Airport.

But if they have to completelky rebuild the passenger terminals it will not be ready.

I got this from wikipedia.

The major issue responsible for the delayed opening is the fact that the fire protection and alarm system in the terminal building has not been built according to the construction permit. Therefore, it failed the mandatory acceptance test.

The major issue responsible for the delayed opening is the fact that the fire protection and alarm system in the terminal building has not been built according to the construction permit. Therefore, it failed the mandatory acceptance test.

As I understand it the architect, for aesthetic reasons, got the crazy idea to put the sprinklers in the floor instead of the roof. :eek: When tested it prowed to be a dud and I guess they now have to remove the sprinkler system and more or less start on from scratch.

Well, I prefer Tegel anyway.. :D