Weighing Dog Sled Excursion Options

OceanNerd

We will be heading to Alaska on the Grand Princess in June. We have started looking/booking excursions and I'm a bit stuck. The unanimous decision was to do the Mendenhall Glacier/Whale Watching Combo; but the frugal mom in me is debating our second excursion.

There are two options that we think the kids will enjoy. One is the Musher's Camp & Dog Sled Experience where you actually get to ride/drive a dog sled. The second is Gold Panning, Sled Dog, & 40 degree Below Experience.

Anyone ever tried either/both of these excursions who can offer some pros and cons? Really just trying to decide if the camp is worth double the price.

We will be heading to Alaska on the Grand Princess in June. We have started looking/booking excursions and I'm a bit stuck. The unanimous decision was to do the Mendenhall Glacier/Whale Watching Combo; but the frugal mom in me is debating our second excursion.

There are two options that we think the kids will enjoy. One is the Musher's Camp & Dog Sled Experience where you actually get to ride/drive a dog sled. The second is Gold Panning, Sled Dog, & 40 degree Below Experience.

Anyone ever tried either/both of these excursions who can offer some pros and cons? Really just trying to decide if the camp is worth double the price.

First, I looked up the Musher's Camp excursion that you mention and I wanted to point out that it is a cart, not a sled, and that you don't get to drive it. You just get a ride. I've done a dog cart ride, and it is fun, but I'm sure it's nothing like the glacier landing, dog sledding on snow experiences.

We did the Gold Panning, etc. excursion with my teens 2 years ago and they seemed to enjoy it. The gold panning is seeded and a little corny, but they had fun.

226043_2298212012237_6244601_n.jpg

They REALLY liked the puppies!!

228837_2298214172291_4547791_n.jpg

The 40 degree below chamber is quite an experience.

205974_2298180731455_1020883_n.jpg

We were on a budget, and this excursion worked for us. Nothing spectacular, but still fun. My kids were happy with it.

Ask your kids which they would prefer, and take their opinion into consideration, along with your budget. Sometimes it's worth it to pay more for something they will enjoy more... and sometimes they can be happy with something cheaper.

I was planning on doing a sled dog excursion but I was on a trip to Banff in February and did it there for a fraction of the price ($150 vs $600).

So another option is going up to BC In Winter time.

just a thought

I was planning on doing a sled dog excursion but I was on a trip to Banff in February and did it there for a fraction of the price ($150 vs $600).

So another option is going up to BC In Winter time.

just a thought

Or what I did, go to Alaska in the wintertime, and go to "Dog sledding school". Then you can drive your own team. :) added bonus is northern lights.

Archived