Cruise Critic Community
SAN

Luggage tags- When to put them on?

We usually fly in the day before our cruise and put on our luggage tags before we leave for the ship. This time, we decided to take an overnight flight and fly in to Ft. Lauderdale the day the ship departs. We leave from San Diego ,stop over in Atlanta, and fly to Ft. Lauderdale getting in at 9:30 am. Do we put on our luggage tags before we fly or when we get our luggage in Ft. Lauderdale.

We booked our own flights and no transfers to the ship.

Thank you.

Some say put them on before you leave home so if the bags are misdirected someone will know to expedite them to the cruise ship.

Some say wait until you are On the pier

I go with option 1, myself

We usually fly in the day before our cruise and put on our luggage tags before we leave for the ship. This time, we decided to take an overnight flight and fly in to Ft. Lauderdale the day the ship departs. We leave from San Diego ,stop over in Atlanta, and fly to Ft. Lauderdale getting in at 9:30 am. Do we put on our luggage tags before we fly or when we get our luggage in Ft. Lauderdale.

We booked our own flights and no transfers to the ship.

Thank you.

I never put them on until we are ready to head to the ship. So when you collect your luggage at FLL, that's when I'd put them on. They could easily get chewed up in the plane's baggage systems.

I also come in early and don't put my luggage tags on until I'm ready to leave the hotel to go to the pier.

mine go on for the flight in case the luggage is misdirected. I keep the extra tags in my carry for replacement at the pier, if needed.

I think I'd put them on in San Diego. If they get chewed up or ripped off you can always get replacements at the port. They'll handwrite whatever you need as replacements. We're going to fly into FLL for a Miami departure but we'll becoming in a day ahead so I'm not going to put them on the luggage ahead of time.

I also come in early and don't put my luggage tags on until I'm ready to leave the hotel to go to the pier.

Hi Nancy:) me too....they go on the luggage before I go to the

ship...that morning:D

I put mine on just before I leave for the ship. No need to confuse the airline baggage handlers. And if the tags get ripped off, what good will having them on early do???

Here's how you can provide for delivery of your suitcase(s) should they wander off: put a copy of your itinerary in an unlocked outside pocket.

Edited by Happy Cruiser 6143

I put mine on just before I leave for the ship. No need to confuse the airline baggage handlers. And if the tags get ripped off, what good will having them on early do???

Here's how you can provide for delivery of your suitcase(s) should they wander off: put a copy of your itinerary in an unlocked outside pocket.

I usually put my itinerary right on top of my clothing, so if the suitcase is opened, it is the first thing they see.

Some say put them on before you leave home so if the bags are misdirected someone will know to expedite them to the cruise ship.

Some say wait until you are On the pier

I go with option 1, myself

I have always put the tags on my luggage before leaving home and never had a problem with the tags being lost or damaged. I do this for both domestic and international flights. I agree that if the luggage is lost or misdirected it would have a better chance of arriving at the ship if the luggage tags were in place.

I examine my bags before leaving them at the port so I can replace the tags should there be a problem.

Enjoy your cruise!

Can one print out "back up tags?? If you can that would be the way to go. Watching how bag handlers throw them around, I think I would rather wait till put them on!

No need to print back up tags. If by chance the originals get mangled and X didn't send you extras (I often get 8!) just get them handwritten at the pier. That's what you would do if for some reason you never got them at home pre cruise.

No need to print back up tags. If by chance the originals get mangled and X didn't send you extras (I often get 8!) just get them handwritten at the pier. That's what you would do if for some reason you never got them at home pre cruise.

Seems easier to just put am extra set in ones back pack!, lol

We always put our luggage tags on before we leave home. There is nothing on the tags that is going to confuse airline baggage handlers. We have had the experience of having our cruse tags noticed by the check-in agent, had our bags tagged "PRIORITY" and had our luggage waiting on the carousel before we arrived. If your luggage does happen to go astray the airlines can get it to the port.

I use the holders from favors by serendipity which the printouts fit in so they are more secure. They are reusable too and I've had mine for a few years now. You can search for cruise luggage tag holders and you will find them. They will send you an itinerary form (you can print as many as you need) and put it in the holders for your flight and then I replace that with my cruise tag printouts at the hotel before going to the ship.

I put ours on as soon as I zip the suitcase shut for the last time. Once we were waiting in the airport in Chicago on a Europe connection and someone saw the tags on my carry-on and said "Hey, we're on this cruise with you!" It was really nice, like jump starting our Celebrity cruise vacation. :D

Interesting thread, obviously there is no right, just what works for each person.

I'm with the ones that wait until right before I go to the ship to put them on. I also put an itinerary in each suitcase. Quite frankly I feel if your luggage is lost having the cruise line tag on there really isn't going to help you that much, any more of less than having your itinerary in the suitcase. What I do feel like the itinerary will help with is to eventually get your luggage to you.

The luggage tags do have a bar code on them, if anything this might mess up bar code readers in the airport. They do request that older luggage tags be removed.

My understanding of the cruise luggage tags is that the bags get to my room once I've turned them over to the porters. I feel that if they are fresh and not having been beat around from a flight then they are more likely to stay on till the bags are back in my possession.

I put my tags on at home. If you encase them in clear packing tape they're much less likely to get damaged. But I always carry a spare anyway.

Never put them on until AFTER your last flight, the bar odes can be misread on some airport baggage tracking systems and then your luggage is off getting extra FF miles

I usually put my itinerary right on top of my clothing, so if the suitcase is opened, it is the first thing they see.

Me too - my cases don't have outside pockets.

I also make my DH and DSs put some of my clothes in their cases, just in case my case does go astray. As well as carrying an outfit in my carry-on luggage. Am I too risk-averse?

I'm leery of putting the luggage tags on my suitcases before I'm ready to head to the ship. In San Juan baggage claim, Royal Caribbean had a porter who was grabbing all the suitcases with RC luggage tags on them, including some for people who weren't doing RC transfers. He was stacking them onto a cart to send to the ship. I know at least one person who wasn't doing RC transfers had their bag stacked with the others. He did get it back but was in a panic until he realized the porter had it. I guess the bag would have ended up at the ship.

I'm not sure if Celebrity has someone who takes transfer passengers' luggage from baggage claim or if passengers bring it to the buses themselves for transfers.

I'm leery of putting the luggage tags on my suitcases before I'm ready to head to the ship. In San Juan baggage claim, Royal Caribbean had a porter who was grabbing all the suitcases with RC luggage tags on them, including some for people who weren't doing RC transfers. He was stacking them onto a cart to send to the ship. I know at least one person who wasn't doing RC transfers had their bag stacked with the others. He did get it back but was in a panic until he realized the porter had it. I guess the bag would have ended up at the ship.

I'm not sure if Celebrity has someone who takes transfer passengers' luggage from baggage claim or if passengers bring it to the buses themselves for transfers.

That's my concern, also. We usually fly a day or 2 early, so I put the luggage tags on at the hotel, just before leaving for the port. In 2 weeks, we're flying in very early the day of the cruise. After reading some if the responses, I was thinking we should put the tags on before flying. But, we aren't using the Celebrity transfers, so I don't want our bags pulled and put on a bus.

Put tags on outside the bags ...and also tuck an extra inside an outside pocket on your bag. If one tag gets lost, you have the extra one which can help you locate your bag. Also, inside each bag, put a note with contact info. I have had my luggage tags lost between the dock and my cabin. When my bag didn't arrive, I went to the lost/misplaced bag room. It was packed with bags that had no luggage tags. Also, if the cruise info is with your bag and the airline misplaces it, you may get it back during your cruise. I had Delta misplace my bag for over aweek on a 14 night cruise in the Med. Celebrity was great helping me get it back.

Last year I put my tags on before we left home. When we got to the ship, one of the bags did not have luggage tags. We gave the person outside the ship our room number but he wrote the wrong number down :eek:....they had to go looking for our suitcase. Luckily it was found and nothing missing.

This year I will put the tags on just before we leave to go to the port.

I always put a copy of the itinerary on the inside mesh pocket so if the suitcase is open, it's right there.