Alcohol now being destroyed

antsp

I am not a big drinker so I too don't understand it. But, reading some of the comments on this board over time, I see that several people are big drinkers. One boasts of racking up a $900 bar bill on top of the stuff he brings on board. Other talk about bringing cases -like more than 1- of wine on board for a one week cruise.

I guess some people really like to drink.....

So........................and your point is???

I think more people would buy more of Princess' drinks, if they actually put a full shot in the drinks. Last year we paid extra for a double shot as the drinks were so weak. We watched the bartender put in about 1/2 a shot; we called him on it and he did then add the other shot. As much as they charge for drinks they should put the full amount of alcohol in the drinks. I am not a big drinker but would like to get what I pay for.

I always order my drinks straight up (neat) with water/ice on the side. I agree that many of the bartenders will short pour. If I get a good pour, I give an extra dollar tip. I do not cheat other people and I will not be cheated.

I really can't believe all the talk about bringing alcohol aboard a ship. It is a Policy and it's now being enforced. End of story. Alcohol sales are a big part of a cruise ship's bottom line and they are within their rights to do as they wish, and it is in the Passenger Contract. And the excuse, "I didn't read it"..Well, that's on you. I totally get that some people are trying to save some money but unfortunately this is something you can't get around. I like to drink on the ship too but I save all year to take a nice vacation and I'm not going to skimp so I budget it in. It seems every Cruise line has this same issue, but reading some of the posts about the length people will go to to sneak booze on board, maybe there's a bigger issue. Remember what you sign up for when you book a cruise..Thank You..

For me it really isn't about saving money at all, but more about being treated like an adult. All of the silliness of bag checking, naughty rooms, etc., is more than I can tolerate. I experienced that once on NCL and never went back.

Truth be told, being able to board as much wine as one desires, paying the $15.00 corkage fee, will actually save us money as we will now be able to bring our own wine into the dining room and clubs, rather than purchasing Princess wine, which is marked up considerably more than $15.00 per bottle. Moreover, we will be able to have the wine we really want, rather than what is available in the Princess cellar. So, other than the hassle of buying and boarding it, the new policy will be a win for wine lovers and a loss for Princess.

I honestly don't see how Princess anticipates they will win. People who never brought their own wine on board will continue on as always and buy what they always bought. People who always brought wine on board for in-room consumption will continue to do so, probably in greater quantity than previously, and just pay the corkage fee and start brining their own wine into the dining room. So, at least from our perspective Princess will gain the corkage fee, but lose the sale of the wine we would have typically purchased at dinner or in the clubs.

Of course, some will migrate to Holland America.

The thing that bothers me the most about this whole thing is all of the misinformation and lack of communication and staff training as witnessed in Australia. If the champagne was actually destroyed, as the original poster stated (and I have no reason not to believe her) this would be another example of poor communication and training.

Now I know that a bunch of you will jump in and say that it was destroyed because it was in her checked bag, but the Princess VP clearly stated in her interview yesterday that it makes no difference if your wine/champagne is in your checked or carry on bags.

Very poorly planned, communicated, and launched, in my humble opinion.

Last year , before the new wine policy, we told friends about the Princess policy of allowing two bottles of wine per person (without the corkage fee) to have in your own cabin at your leisure. That sold them on taking a Princess cruise , they went on a 14 day Panama Canal cruise , loved it. They also purchased a wine package to enjoy at dinner. They enjoyed the cruise. OK so now I have to tell them that the wine policy has changed, so I don't know if they will cruise Princess again. They are not nit picky people , but it might make the diffence to them. Just saying , some people really enjoy wine and like to make their own choices not offered on the lists.

Cori

I think its cute how "being treated like an adult" includes, but is not limited to, not having to abide a contract and, as an extension, by express rules agreed upon when purchasing a cruise simply because one thinks they shouldn't have to.

A rule not enforced is not a rule at all. After 35 cruises with many cruise lines I have never had a personal paid-for package of alcoholic beverage taken from me. And believe me every cruise included something in my luggage. So we must assume that there will now be a rule, for it will now be enforced, and what many of us are simply saying is that it will have consequences.

We do drink more during our vacations (wonder why... :) ). Smuggling some of our favorite (!)

liqueurs makes our life a little more pleasant while on the ship. Pre-post-dinner drink or two, drink on balcony during sea days while reading... Yes, its against the rules, saints around here can throw all stones they want. We do have $500-600 bar bill at the end of cruise every time. Over last 15 years we saw how cruise companies trying to squeeze more and more pennies from us and we still coming back for more. Will we drink less if we can't bring our own - probably. Somebody mentioned that they buy more on the ship if drink in the room, I find this true in my case also. Will we look elsewhere? Likely we'll take fewer cruises and more land all-inclusive vacations in future. This is my story but I have friends who share same opinion with me.

FYI We had a bottle in our checked in luggage last month on Celebrity (San Diego)and I was called to the naughty room. They kept the bottle which was my intention to take it home anyway and returned to me at the end of the cruise. THEY DID NOT THROW IT OUT.

Hopefully when I take my Canadian Club in the carryon they will do the same. Ontario Cruiser

...There's a big difference in pricing between a hotel and a cruise ship. A good hotel will charge you $150 (or twice that) per day and that's just for the room and bed. No entertainment, no food, etc. They make their money from charging you for the room. Cruise ships charge as little as $50-100/day/pp and that includes your cabin, activities, entertainment and all the food you can eat 24/7. Very different economic model.

And therein lies the crux. If a cruise line is having difficulty meeting it's retun on investment then the product is overvalued and/or it is under priced. However, the current Princess corporate strategy is to have those who consume alcoholic beverages pay even more of the burden of profit returns by forcing consumption of alcohol exclusively at their bars. Teetotallers of course applaud this approach for it lessens the need for them to pay their fair share of needed return. The inequity is bad enough but this move of search and seizure is the straw that will break the camel's back and as stated will have consquences.

Teetotallers of course applaud this approach for it lessens the need for them to pay their fair share of needed return.

Just to be clear, some people who chose not to drink may do so because of religious belief, health concerns or just don't like the taste of alcohol. Don't really think anyone is applauding, just stating their opinion. I know I enjoy a few drinks per day, but no longer indulge in like I use to, mainly because since I reached 60....I take longer to recuperate;)

All the talk about wanting to be treated as adults reminds me so much of what my parents said to me all those years ago: "We'll treat you like an adult when you start acting like on". Ooohhh, I hate to admit it, but it appears they were right. Breaking written rules that you agree to in order to print a boarding pass and gain admittance to a ship is NOT acting like an adult. Accepting that you're finally going to be called on it, and deciding to either abide by the rules or take your business elsewhere is.

There's a big difference in pricing between a hotel and a cruise ship. A good hotel will charge you $150 (or twice that) per day and that's just for the room and bed. No entertainment, no food, etc. They make their money from charging you for the room. Cruise ships charge as little as $50-100/day/pp and that includes your cabin, activities, entertainment and all the food you can eat 24/7. Very different economic model.

Hmm, on my next cruise we are being charged approximately $157/day/pp all in for our upcoming cruise for a standard balcony room on a 7 day cruise. That is significantly above your $50-100 quote above.

You also have to factor in that in a hotel they charge you ONCE in the States for the room, not for each person in the room. I would not really call the cabins on some of the Grand class ships "luxury" and would probably put them in a 2-3 star normal hotel category. That being said the cost for a 2 or 3 star hotel is usually at $100 / day or less.

Most hotels throw in free breakfast, free wifi, etc etc further driving the value added.

So saying that Princess is not already being compensated handsomly for our travel is a bit much, don't you think?

Since some think that Princess decided to enforce their rule because of reading these boards about smuggling, I hope they are reading these boards now also.

They'll see people who are loyal Princess cruisers who have cruised Princess for years, taking several cruises a year, and one of the reasons for the loyalty is their alcohol policy. Aren't they afraid that these same cruisers will now try another line, like it, and never come back.

They may also lose that person who spends $900 at the bar. What if they go to Celebrity, who offers a drink promotion and finds that they can buy this promotion, or better yet book when it's being offered and come out ahead. And what if they find they like Celebrity better?

I do hope they read these boards.

Teetotallers of course applaud this approach for it lessens the need for them to pay their fair share of needed return.

Just to be clear, some people who chose not to drink may do so because of religious belief, health concerns or just don't like the taste of alcohol. Don't really think anyone is applauding, just stating their opinion. I know I enjoy a few drinks per day, but no longer indulge in like I use to, mainly because since I reached 60....I take longer to recuperate;)

I also don't think people are "applauding" the new enforcement. I drink plenty, but have limited my consumption to that which I purchased on the boat. I dont think its so much a "gotcha" attitude, but, at least from my perspective, a questioning of what seems to be a forced moral outrage at the new enforcement of an existing contractual condition.

Since some think that Princess decided to enforce their rule because of reading these boards about smuggling, I hope they are reading these boards now also.

They'll see people who are loyal Princess cruisers who have cruised Princess for years, taking several cruises a year, and one of the reasons for the loyalty is their alcohol policy. Aren't they afraid that these same cruisers will now try another line, like it, and never come back.

They may also lose that person who spends $900 at the bar. What if they go to Celebrity, who offers a drink promotion and finds that they can buy this promotion, or better yet book when it's being offered and come out ahead. And what if they find they like Celebrity better?

I think that its definitely possible that people will switch for this and myriad other reasons. I just question whehter the number of cruisers for whom ability to covertly bring on alcohol is a major concern is high enough to warrant major concern by Princess (or any other line who has increased such enforcement).

There must be a job for you somewhere in Carnival Corporation

Have you a point?

I really wish you would simply keep your word, and go to Celebrity.

And, I have no interest in living / working in Miami-Dade although I am liking it a lot more

with the fee-based express lanes.

Where did you see that Princess will not allow you to have a cocktail on your balcony?

Did you read this thread? There are 100's of post here all relating to how princess is dumping the liquor people would bring on board to consume in their room.

I think its cute how "being treated like an adult" includes, but is not limited to, not having to abide a contract and, as an extension, by express rules agreed upon when purchasing a cruise simply because one thinks they shouldn't have to.

What I think is cute -- people tell us that they like(ed) how princess

treated them as adults -- which really meant princess had pretty lax enforcement

of their policies and people were able to cheat.

And, one of the first things I read in this thread by the 'adults' is

about how they can now use their rum-runners to smuggle liquor.

Did you read this thread? There are 100's of post here all relating to how princess is dumping the liquor people would bring on board to consume in their room.

Ok, but that is different from saying Princess will not allow you to have a cocktail on your balcony. Can you BUY a drink and drink it on your balcony?

What if they go to Celebrity, who offers a drink promotion and finds that they can buy this promotion, or better yet book when it's being offered and come out ahead. And what if they find they like Celebrity better? [/color][/font]

Celebrity charges $70 per person per day and everyone in the same cabin MUST purchase the package , not just one person in the same cabin. Celebrity doesn't give a mini bar to it's top tier cruisers, I know, I'm on their top tier, I can't imagine adding $140 plus tip to a double occupancy cabin. Princess has a better policy by far , I'll pay the $15 corkage fee and am glad to have the option. I'll be part of the solution not part of the problem (smuggling).

It sounded to me like they will allow you to have a cocktail on your balcony, they are just now enforcing the policy that says you need to by the booze from them. Either by the drink or bottle.

Celebrity charges $70 per person per day and everyone in the same cabin MUST purchase the package , not just one person in the same cabin. Celebrity doesn't give a mini bar to it's top tier cruisers, I know, I'm on their top tier, I can't imagine adding $140 plus tip to a double occupancy cabin. Princess has a better policy by far , I'll pay the $15 corkage fee and am glad to have the option. I'll be part of the solution not part of the problem (smuggling).

First of all, Celebrity has two drink packages, one at $44 a day and one at $54 a day...no idea where you're getting $70 from. Second point, no both parties do not have to buy a package, that's RCL's rule, not Celebrity's and thirdly, they give free drinks every night to their Elite guests in the lounge for two hours .. EVERY DAY! not just one time mini bar set up.

I'm realizing that this whole thing is very similar to something that happened around here recently.

One of the main access points to our development is a road with a 35 mile per hour speed limit. Since we moved in 2004, going 35 on that road will possibly get you rear ended.

About 2 months ago, the township put a speed trap on that road, a month before that they had one of those 'your speed' signs up with a 'increased enforcement coming soon' message on top.

People were up in arms about it. 'We always went 50 on that road and no one ever said anything'- my neighbor. 'Its just so they can get their ticket money' -another neighbor. The first statement is true, the second statement may be.

But the real point is that the speed limit has always been 35 on that road, and people, based on an assumption about prior behavior of police, that the risk of penalty was low. They were still inentionally defying the rules, they just didn't think they would get caught.

Now that the risk factor has changed, drivers around here need to make a decision. Use the same route and drive slower, find a different route that either has less enforcement or a higher limit, reduce driving altogether, or continue to speed on this route and risk a penalty. Different people will do different things.

You can make arguments the limit should be higher, or cops should worry about other things, etc. But the township weighed various factors including public opinion and financials and made a decision.

How does this relate to Princess? The situations are very similar. I am 100 percent certain that Princess analyzed thepolicy change and projected that it would not negatively impact revenue, or if it were to do so there was a compelling reason that would override the revenue drop. Some people will change their route (new line), some will drive slowe (not carry on hard liquor), some may stop driving (land vacations) and some may continue to speed (sneak liquor). And as with all projections, this could be wrong. But when they changed the smoking policy, many people cried doom and gloom. Didn't happen. The Concordia disaster and mismanagement, impact minimal and mostly short term. In short, my prediction is, like the enforcement change here, going to end up being a lot of storm and fury, signifying nothing.

A couple of other points:

As far as selection, there is no way a ship can carry every possible option that drinkers want. I am certain they did some form of analysis to identify the most popular brands overall.

In terms of constructive criticism, communications continues to be a big problem for Princess (and pretty much every other line). Misaligned rollout of documentation, poor rep training, etc are par for the course and this really shouldn't happen.

The poster I quoted said Princess was prohibiting having a drink on the balcony. That is just not true. Princess is (and always has) prohibiting carrying alcohol (other than one bottle of wine) onboard. We can still get a drink in a bar or from room service and enjoy it on the balcony. We get get an (expensive) bottle of alcohol from room service and make our own drinks.

Have you a point?

I really wish you would simply keep your word, and go to Celebrity.

And, I have no interest in living / working in Miami-Dade although I am liking it a lot more

with the fee-based express lanes.

So then you work for Celebrity?

Archived