breakfast lunch and dinner

rwadam

I'm looking forward to my first Azamara cruise in less than a month. I would appreciate your tips for breakfast, lunch, and dinner on the ship.

1. Which venue(s) do you particularly enjoy for each meal and why?

2. Any special meals or dishes that you have enjoyed?

Many thanks.:)

There are many great options. The buffet is wonderful and relaxing when you just don't want to deal with a seated dinner after a long day ashore.

The egg white omelette for breakfast room service is delicious. I ordered it by mistake one time and just loved it. Fresh tomatoes, thyme, spinach, and a little cheese. My order of the day from then on.

The special officers and crew buffet are not to be missed.

We've been on two cruises, both with balconies. First breakfast has always been outside, until we can stumble and get our bearings. The buffet is extensive, cold smoked fish, hot meats, cereals, breads and cakes, fruits, smoothies, you aren't going to go hungry. But finding a table can be a challenge. On our Jan cruise into Indonesia, I discovered the joys of the Main Dining Room for breakfast. You can't wear the plush bathrobe, as you can on your veranda, but they do offer Scottish Kippers, and that alone is worth getting out of bed for. And its rarely crowded - everyone is upstairs at the buffet. Lunch either at the buffet or MDR during sea days is fine. This last cruise, sweltering on the Equator, I actually really enjoyed a perfectly prepared hamburger with bacon, and some of the best fries and onion rings I've ever had, on the pool deck. Since beer wasn't free, I had to make due with a chilled glass of white wine. I'm not a hamburger person, but the pool grill is really nice for breaking the luxury cycle this line just loves to throw at you. Dinner, hands down, Prime C or Aqualina. Very limited menu, very personal service, very quiet, intimate dining and flawless. The Reidel crystal helps also. Surprisingly, it was usually half empty this cruise; I don't know if it was the people on this particular cruise or the increased supplement per person the line is now charging non suite guests, or a combination. Regardless, in my book, it was well worth a supplement. We are sailing out of Copenhagen in July, my first night will be in Aqualina; I don't know about my wife or the other two couples we are travelling with, but I'm upstairs. There is nothing "wrong" with the MDR, it is elegant, the everyday menu is excellent, the daily variety is, with very few exceptions, superb, service is very good. My complaint is the noise level and the crowds. Service is GENERALLY excellent, but not always. Food preparation is superb, the daily wines are excellent (and available in the specialty restaurants also, as well as buffet and pool side), the premium wine menu is superb and for the most part, very reasonably priced. Azamara has some flaws, some of which are getting larger, buy by and large, dining is NOT one of them, at any of the locations. Oh, my biggest food "complaint". The afternoon pastries and sandwiches served at the Mosaic Bar are usually out of my line of site until it's too late. Mosaic is a not so hidden "dining" gem, just don't fill up too much and ruin your appetite for dinner. Enjoy. I love this line.

Lest I forget, someone else posted a concern about being able to get a table for 3 or will they "have" to sit with a larger group. The tables are generally for two, which can be pushed together to accommodate groups of 2/4/6 etc. There might be a wait in the MDR for the type of table you want, but it will be available. Another advantage of sailing on a very small cruise ship. Have a wonderful trip.

David

I'm looking forward to my first Azamara cruise in less than a month. I would appreciate your tips for breakfast, lunch, and dinner on the ship.

1. Which venue(s) do you particularly enjoy for each meal and why?

2. Any special meals or dishes that you have enjoyed?

Many thanks.:)

To be honest I like all of them. If I'm not particularly hungry for breakfast that includes a coffee and bite to eat in Mosaic watching the world go by. Love the little savories they have there like the sausage rolls and mini croissant with cheese on them.

Buffet for lunch is good and I like the sandwich station and if I'm feeling a little hungrier then the pool grill. If you go to the pool grill they will give you a numbered ticket and you can go and sit down at the Windows Cafe/Outdoor, hand the ticket to the waiter/waitress there and they will bring you your order when it is cooked.

Aqualina and Prime C are very good and lots of menu choices, but then the MDR also has good food and I could eat there each night. Once again lots of variety. I can't think of a favourite off hand.

Phil

My favourite foods - make sure you try Azamara's ice creams, their flavours are superb. Two not to be missed are cinnamon and apple and honey

The other thing, even if you have tried evening deck buffets on other lines (and perhaps decided they are not for you) you have to give the Azamara special buffets a go. The live food stations, on deck cooked to order barbecue food etc plus lovely ambience, they are just great!

The food on Azamara, wherever you choose to eat, is always very good or better. Room service breakfast on the balcony is always a treat, especially the Eggs Benedict. In the buffet breakfast I am always pleasantly surprised that they serve English bacon and, on many days, black pudding as well.

Lunch in Windows is always very tempting but the star is the days when they serve suckling pig on the pool deck.

The speciality restaurants are very good but we rarely eat in them as the MDR food is always so good. My favourite is the slow cooked short-rib of beef. The bread basket served at dinner is superb, with the breads as good as you will get anywhere on land.

Sorry, must stop now as I am making myself feel very hungry!

Every day -- every single day -- the menu outside the MDR, as well as the MDR's menu posted outside Windows Cafe, promised kippers for breakfast.

Nope. No kippers. Of course, now I see that Dr. H. commandeered them all for his sailing on the Journey, while I was relegated to watching penguins and whales from the Quest, but alas, with no kippers.

Actually, I'm not the one who eats them, but after we were super duper disappointed that they weren't there, why didn't somebody change the menu in the case outside the two restaurants?

However! the same day we were disappointed in the MDR b/c of no kippers, I asked about blintzes. They said, we can have them for you tomorrow. I said, no, thx, I won't be back to the MDR for breakfast. But lo and behold! they were upstairs in Window, every other day, for the entire remainder of the cruise. You might have to go around the corner to get your sour cream to go with them, but they were very nice blintzes.

Also, every day up at Windows for breakfast there are very nice smoked fishes, including one or two I'd never heard of. Also every day a herring selection. And they have the same system with the little numbers so you can return to your table after ordering your omelet and your wait person will bring it. And when you pick your bacon, you get to choose from the crisp bacon and the soggy bacon. Well, or whatever they called the non-crisp. Limp?

For dinner, the oyster spinach soup was great. There was a wonderful dessert that I'm blocking on right now, as beautifully plated as it was delicious.

At Aqualina, the poached pear dessert was outstanding and of course there's no way to ruin chocolate fondue!!!

At the lunch buffets, there was always a fish and often they were great. In fact, they were often better than the fish dish at dinner that evening. Btw, trust your waiter in the MDR. They often know what's not great that evening.

The Indian buffet dinner at Windows was great. Actually, I enjoyed all the Indian lunch entrees, too. A few nights we went up to the buffet for a little forshpeis with a glass of wine. That's especially lovely in good weather and with the guitarist in the outdoor area.

At Windows, one side has a tame chicken soup, either with noodles or I can't remember, perhaps just plain, while the other side has a different soup every day. Don't forget to grab a spoon there.

And if you want a tour of the galley, start asking, at the hotel desk, from Day One.

Have a great cruise!

Thanks! This is precisely the info I was hoping for. Keep it coming if you have anything to add. :)

Hi Richard,

The Chocolate Bombe is simply divine. After enjoying it in the MDR I mentioned to Russ, the Cruise Director how amazing it was. A couple of days later he told me that we would have a nice surprise in our stateroom later.

Two Chocolate Bombes were delivered. No we didn't need the extra calories but yes we forced ourselves to eat them!

Just one small example of how wonderfully guests are treated on board

Kippers in MDR...hadn't had them in years and they were delicious. But couldn't eat like that every morning, so mostly had a light room service breakfast (toast and fruit and coffee) always delivered on time and with a smile. Loved the sushi at Windows and the burgers at the Pool Grill. Always something good on the dinner menu in the MDR and the goat cheese appetizer in Aquilina...I salivate at the memory! Wasn't thrilled with the dessert offerings (except in Aquilina and the crepes suzette at the White Night BBQ) but the ice cream offerings were nice (according to my husband...I'm not an ice cream lover.) The deck BBQ's are great, especially if they are cooking fresh fish to order.

Just wondering if you can order steak at breakfast, possibly a Lumberjack ? I know it does sound pretty piggy but it is a special luxury I allow myself on a cruise when I can get it. I apologise if anyone has been rendered nauseous at the prospect.

Actually it is not all testosterone and hairiness , it's a steak with a fried egg on it at least that's what I was told on Silver Whisper and I happily defer to their knowledge.....me, I just eat it !

I'll have to try the soufflés -- thanks! Does anyone ever order special items? I don't generally do, but if there's any "secret" off menu treats that are available it would be nice to know.

Also, has anyone ever requested special dietary prep -- e.g. low sodium or low fat. I'm just curious.

Thanks!:)

Richard, Dale here and looking forward to meeting you in a few weeks. It was our experience on Azamara if you ask for something they will do everything in the power to make it for you if they can.

I remember that they served Tapas and wine on the outside deck in Windows as the sun was setting..

Mosaic is a fantastic coffee bar it was our favorite place to visit on the Journey.

We also found the food in the MDR just as good as the speciality restaurants and am not a big on MDR food but on Azamara dining room food was that good.

Just wondering if you can order steak at breakfast, possibly a Lumberjack ? I know it does sound pretty piggy but it is a special luxury I allow myself on a cruise when I can get it. I apologise if anyone has been rendered nauseous at the prospect.

The in-room breakfast menu includes a 6oz steak. In a Club Continent Suite we were always served 12oz steaks!

P1080723_small.jpg.6077cfea3407855ebae810359ac20463.jpg

Richard, Dale here and looking forward to meeting you in a few weeks. It was our experience on Azamara if you ask for something they will do everything in the power to make it for you if they can.

I remember that they served Tapas and wine on the outside deck in Windows as the sun was setting..

Mosaic is a fantastic coffee bar it was our favorite place to visit on the Journey.

We also found the food in the MDR just as good as the speciality restaurants and am not a big on MDR food but on Azamara dining room food was that good.

Thanks, Dale!

Prime C was The best meal we have Ever had at sea And the service was Supurb! The only problem was everytime we want dinner around 8pm we could only get 6pm or 9:30pm..We are staying in a suite this cruise so hopefully we will be able to get a better time..Oh and the service at All venues is Awesome! The staff knows And remembers your name just after meeting you for the first time!!

Archived