Minimum age for occupying a stateroom changed for some countries of departure

I noticed today that there appears to have been a change made in the Booking Conditions on the UK RCCL website with regards to age requirements for occupying a stateroom -

Minimum Age to Occupy a Stateroom*

For sailings that depart a port in Europe, Asia, South America, New Zealand or Australia then no Guest younger than age eighteen (18) will be assigned to a stateroom unless accompanied in the same stateroom by an adult of eighteen (18) years old or older. A guest's age is established as their age upon the first day of sailing. Please note, that for sailings which depart from a port in the US or Canada, the above age limit is twenty-one (21).

This policy will be waived for an underage guest (minor) sailing with their parent(s) or official Legal Guardian, when the minor is in a stateroom which is directly next door or opposite the stateroom of the parent/Legal Guardian. Under this waiver, we can allow an equal number of unrelated minors in the same stateroom, so a child in the stateroom next door to their parent, can bring one friend/family member with them, two children could bring 2 friends/family members etc.

There are no exceptions to this policy, except for married couples aged 16 and above who are allowed to sail together in a stateroom without anyone over the age of 18/21 being required. Documentary proof of marriage will be required in advance.

I wonder when this happened :confused:

This change in policy does not seem to be known at all. When I booked through an agent in January for a cruise from Southampton in August, I was told that although our eldest DD will be 18, and our youngest 15, that we would have to book a parent in each of our 2 cabins.

Wish we'd known that we could book both DDs in their own cabin, as it would make the keys/seapass cards easier to manage. Wonder whether if we want to change the names on the cabinssignments they would charge us?:confused:

It was 21yrs now it is 18yrs for occupying a stateroom. :)

I'm pretty certain it was less than 21 last year, I think it changed at the same time as they stopped the requirement for drinks waivers for 18 year olds. I seem to remember saying that if we wanted to we could have booked our teens in a cabin away from us ;)

I'm pretty certain it was less than 21 last year, I think it changed at the same time as they stopped the requirement for drinks waivers for 18 year olds. I seem to remember saying that if we wanted to we could have booked our teens in a cabin away from us ;)

Previously anyone under 21yrs had to have someone 21yrs or over accompanying them on the cruise...this change means that 18yr olds can book a cruise on their own.

Previously anyone under 21yrs had to have someone 21yrs or over accompanying them on the cruise...this change means that 18yr olds can book a cruise on their own.

Oh yes, now I see what you were getting at. However, in the back of my mind I still think this may have been introduced some time in the last year and not just very recently, after all isn't that what the paragraph about waiving this rule for minors in a cabin next to parents is about i.e. our kids (under 21) would still have needed to be close to our cabin, but with the new rules (since they were both over 18) they could have been anywhere on the ship.

I also seem to remember thinking that I hope it doesn't become the holiday of choice for post A-level holidays - hopefully the price will put them off. ;)

Archived