The Twists and Turns of my Solo Experience on the Norwegian EPIC (Mar 2-9, 2013)

zactak

Loving your review so far. It sounds as if you had quite the adventure. Can't wait for more!

I was actually on the Epic the week before you and actually spent quite a bit of time with Pam from the UK - she is a wonderful woman!

Ditto on that. :) . :)

Thank you :) I enjoyed Pam a lot. She was a very sweet woman.

Zactac - I am enjoying your review very much. I also have some anxiety issues and can understand some of what you go through. My OCD is being sure faucets, appliances and lights are turned off and doors are locked. It is much better than it used to be but is still there.

You are a very talented storyteller. I do not know if you write as a profession but you definitely have the gift.

We were on the Epic in November and are going again in two weeks. Your review is a great preview for that trip. If I could cruise every couple of months I would. Can't wait to hear more and also your pictures are wonderful.

I come from an era where computer stuff does not come so easily as you younger folk. (I know, get out of my comfort zone and learn.) I have not grasped putting pictures into something like this so I really enjoy it when people do. Thanks again.

I woke up in the middle of the night and threw up. I was in severe pain from my sun burn and wasn't sleeping very well. Parts of one of my legs was blistering.

One of my goals of this entire EPIC World Adventure was to get myself out of my comfort zone. I have always wanted to go ziplining, so I signed up for that excursion through NCL. I set my alarm and when it started blaring, I couldn't manage to do it. I was in pain and thought the harness may hurt me too much. I wasn't even out of bed yet and I was having panic attacks thinking about this excursion. What if I freak out while there and can't back down? I decided to skip the excursion. I slept in for a little bit and decided I would just walk around the port a little bit.

Vacation2013170.jpg

I was a bit disappointed, but I didn't have a back up plan. I found a couple shot glasses, grabbed a soda and just relaxed in port for a little bit. In St. Maarten I had found a shot glass I really liked. The only problem is that it said, "Coffee" on it, and it didn't make sense to me. I went into multiple stores in St. Thomas and ran into the same problem. I finally found one I liked that said, "Let's Have Fun - St. Thomas." Finally! I bought it. I also bought a shot glass that was wrapped in leather.

Vacation2013194.jpg

I wanted to walk around St. Thomas a little bit more, but I saw clouds rolling in and could tell it was about to rain. I decided to head back to the ship. By the time I got to the first checkpoint, it started pouring.

I grabbed myself a late lunch and afterwards found a spot to watch us sail away from St. Thomas. I always love that part of the cruise. I was hoping to see people running back to the ship, which I saw plenty of. I snapped some photos of the port and we set sail. One of the solo travelers I had been hanging out with came up and sat next to me as we watched us leave St. Thomas. After he left, I walked around to Spice H2O. I heard some people yell out, "ZACH!" I looked over at the hot tub and there was Barb, Roger, Jane and Barb's other cousin Nancy sitting in the hot tub sipping on wine. They asked me to join them, in which I did. The water felt so nice on my sun burn. We stayed in there for quite a few hours. It was getting close to 5:30, which is when the solo gathering was going to happen. I didn't want to get out. Barb invited me to have dinner with them. None of us had tried the Manhattan Room yet, so we decided on that at around 7:30. Nancy and I stayed in the hot tub for a little longer before leaving to get ready for dinner.

Vacation2013186.jpg

I ran into Jane and Nancy waiting in line at the Manhattan Room. Barb and Roger weren't there yet, so Nancy stayed back while Jane and I went to our seats. The photographer came around and told Jane and I to get together so he could take a photo of us. Jane thought he meant we were a couple and she said, "WE ARE NOT TOGETHER!! What do you think we are?!" The poor photographer said, "I don't know... son and mother?" Jane actually got a little miffed, but I found it all hysterical.

Nancy was nice and ordered a bottle of wine for the three of us when Roger and Barb joined us as well. While we were ordering our meals, we heard over the intercom, "Code Alpha Room .... Code Alpha Room ...." I knew what that meant and I hoped everything was OK. This was actually the second code alpha on our ship this week. The other one occurred a couple days before in the Shaker Bar.

This was probably my least favorite dinner the entire week. I had the prime rib, which was actually good. It came with mixed vegetables that were undercooked for my taste, they seemed almost raw and I had a baked potato that had sour cream on it. I hate sour cream and wished they would have mentioned that in the description. I gave it to Jane, because I had also ordered a basil pesto pasta dish and had more food than I could eat. The bread pudding I had for dessert was mediocre.

Vacation2013199.jpg

Vacation2013200.jpg

Vacation2013202.jpg

During dinner, we discussed different topics. One of the topics we discussed was about crime and cruise ships. I majored in Criminology in college, so crime interests me. Barb was a lawyer, so she gave some insight into what she knew and we all sort of wondered if there was a jail cell on board. I would know the answer to that question soon enough! (how good of a cliff hanger would that have been if I ended my review there?! Don't fret. I won't be that cruel to you guys.)

After dinner, we headed over to the Bliss Lounge for karaoke. After a couple nights, it was sort of tradition to watch karaoke. On the way to karaoke, the group stopped off at the gift shop. At dinner I had mentioned how I collect shot glasses and how I found a shot glass I really enjoyed. As we were in the gift shop, Nancy nonchalantly asked me which shot glass I liked. I pointed to the one I liked thinking nothing of it. As we were walking towards the Bliss Lounge, Nancy handed me a bag. She said, "this is from all of us, we want you to know how much we like you and we want you to remember us." I asked her if she was serious and she was! I was amazed at these people. I was getting really close to them.

Only a couple solo travelers sang tonight.

After karaoke, Barb, Roger, Jane and Nancy headed to bed while I met up with other solo travelers. I was starting to feel really lethargic and sick to my stomach again. I sort of dismissed it and our group went up to Spice for yet another dance party. I mentioned to Karen, one of the solo travelers I had been hanging out with during the week that I wasn't feeling well at all. She handed me some alka seltzer and to take it. I'd feel much better if I did.

I went up to my room, got some water and came down to the Studio Lounge to get another cup of water that I could put the alka seltzer in. The Lounge was empty. I grabbed a seat by the TV and watched it while I drank the spawn of Satan juice. A man in his late 40's or early 50's walked in and sat next to me. This isn't good.

He introduced himself and somehow already knew my name. I knew this wasn't going to turn out OK. Why can't I just finish my alka seltzer and get out of there? He told me how he had been watching me as I watched the EPIC sail away from St. Thomas earlier. His conversation with me started turning south. He told me about his sexuality and told me how he was feeling at that moment. He started asking very inappropriate questions that made me highly uncomfortable. A woman had started cleaning the bar area at the beginning of his sexual harassment. I told him I was going to get up and leave, in which I did. I walked out into the hallway outside the Studio Lounge. I looked back in and saw he had left and the cleaning lady was still in there. How the heck could this keep happening to me, and why?

Now, this starts the biggest issue I had with Norwegian.

I walked back into the lounge and asked the woman if that happens often. She said she didn't know what I was talking about. I told her about the two men being inappropriate in the Lounge. Her response? "This is a singles area." I corrected her and said, "NO! This is a solo lounge, not a singles lounge." She just said, "oh." and I left. I think her correct response should have been, "I'm sorry this happened to you. You need to go report this to guest relations."

I ran back upstairs to tell Karen and the others what had just happened to me. Karen was enraged! She was one of the people encouraging me to report the first guy. She said she would go with me to report it this time, but I must report it. I knew she was right. Karen was on crutches due to an injury that occurred a couple years before. I didn't want her to have to walk that far to guest relations, so I ventured out on my own.

I explained to the woman behind the counter at guest relations of what just occurred and about the old man from a couple nights ago. Here I received the only apology from Norwegian. She told me I needed to speak with someone in security and that she was very sorry this occurred.

After a few minutes, a security officer was in front of me and I was explaining to him what occurred. He sort of reminded me of Barney Fife and didn't seem to sure on what he should do. Finally, he told me I needed to write a statement. He told me to follow him. People were staring at me as though I had just committed some crime on the ship or something. I just smiled back at them as I walked with him.

The security guard walked me down to Deck 4, which is where you disembark for ports. He took me into an area to the right of the staircase. This is where the security headquarters seems to be. There were offices in there and I saw the jail cell they have on board! A security guard brought in a young looking girl with handcuffs on. This was so cool! One of the security guards in the office asked if I was locked out of my room and that's why I was down there. The security guard assisting me said no and that I was propositioned by a couple men. He laughed.

It took them forever to print out a statement. When they finally got one, the security guard took me across the staircase to the left side of it. He opened the door and this was I-95. I may not have been there under the best of circumstances, but I was eating it up! There were employees everywhere and I could see different areas where they stored things. He took me into a room that said, "Head of Security," pulled my chair out for me and handed me a pen. He explained what he needed and I began writing my statement.

While I was writing, I heard over the security guard's walkie talkie, "is the patient ready? The plane is here." The person from the Code Alpha earlier in the evening was being flown off the ship.

I finished my statement and the security guard informed me that the head of security would be in contact with me the next morning about the two incidents. I never heard anything again while on board. I frequently checked my phone, but nothing ever came up. This disappointed me. I wasn't necessarily looking into getting these two guys in trouble. I was looking to report them so a paper trail will exist. If this is an ongoing problem with the Studio Lounge, then Norwegian would know about it.

This was my only real issue I had with Norwegian. I expected more from them. I expected more apologies and I expected them to follow their word. If you tell me someone is going to contact me, I expect it. I really feel Norwegian dropped the ball on this one. It did not ruin my vacation nor did it turn me off from ever going on a Norwegian cruise again. I'd go again in a heart beat. I likely would not go into the Lounge by myself though.

I went back up to Spice H2O where I ran into Bryan, Susan and Lilly. They said the helicopter was still up there and they were just getting back from watching it. They tried to show me, but they had since closed off the upper deck from viewing. Vianney was there guarding the deck area that was closed. I told her what happened and she just said, "OK." I'm not sure if she didn't hear me right, or what. I was disappointed in her reaction too.

I explained to Karen and the others what I had just experienced. Karen left shortly thereafter, but we all met up again while in the Studio Lounge. As we were walking back down, the helicopter had left and all the upper decks were open again.

It was now a tradition for everyone to go back to the Lounge and chill out at the end of the evening. Everyone asked how I was doing. Karen was still livid about it. She said she was going to write something on the board in the Lounge about respecting each other. She had a gash on her knee. We all asked her what happened and she said while she was at dinner at the Manhattan Room, the Maitre D pushed her in. There were two screws sticking out of the bottom of the table and she had cut herself on them. Norwegian asked if she wanted to go to the doctor, but she declined. They gave her some wine as compensation and were very apologetic to her. She was actually thankful the Maitre D had pushed her in, because she likely would have injured herself worse had she done it herself.

"Code Alpha Room .... Code Alpha Room ...." It was the third and final Code Alpha we had on our cruise. It was also from the same room they had announced earlier in the evening.

After we all went to sleep, a second helicopter came and airlifted this person off too. Due to the two airlifts, we had to change course a bit and get closer to San Juan. We also had to come to a near stop, but we did not stop. I know one of the people that was airlifted wrote a review on Cruise Critic, so I assume she is OK, but I am uncertain on the status of the other individual. I had heard the woman had a heart attack, but what happened to the other person was unknown. I just hope they are OK.

As our group was sitting around talking, a few of us realized our names and cabin numbers were on the sign up sheet from the first day. We went over and blacked out our names so that none of us would have creeps showing up at our doors. I actually meant to take a picture of this, because there were quite a few black outs on the sheet by the end of the night.

We stayed up talking for a bit and called it a night.

Love your review but I have a couple issues with your encounters with the guys hitting on you. On your blog you mention wanting to attend the LGBT meeting so can I assume that you are gay? and if so you are a grown man not a child and you should know how to politely rebuff any unwanted advances. Why all the "rage, livid" reactions to what sound to me like someone was attracted to you and hit on you? Just curious....

My father in his late 80's had mild dementia and became a bit risque with his lady caregivers. I noticed the deck plans indicate about half the solo suites have interconnecting doors?

I'm enjoying your first person review. We sailed the EPIC a week or so after you.

Love your review but I have a couple issues with your encounters with the guys hitting on you. On your blog you mention wanting to attend the LGBT meeting so can I assume that you are gay? and if so you are a grown man not a child and you should know how to politely rebuff any unwanted advances. Why all the "rage, livid" reactions to what sound to me like someone was attracted to you and hit on you? Just curious....

Thank you :)

Yes, I am gay. Those guys weren't hitting on me. They were making inappropriate sexual advances. I'd write what they specifically said, but it would likely get deleted for being very inappropriate. It would be no different if a man asked a woman to perform certain acts on him. What they said would be inappropriate and offensive to almost anyone. It wasn't like they were asking to get to know each other and see where it goes. It was, lets go back to my room. It'll only be a few minutes. The second guy was even more inappropriate than the first guy.

Their advances went far beyond them being attracted to me and hitting on me. They likely didn't care what the other person looked like. They just wanted a release.

I did politely decline their advances, but they were advances that never should have been made.

There was no way of either man knowing I am gay. I never went to a Friends of Dorothy event and I wasn't "out" on the ship. I only told two people on the cruise. And they wouldn't have had contact with those two men.

No worries, I wasn't there and I guess the important thing is that you didn't let it ruin your cruise. In this day and age I don't think you have to be "out" in order to have someone approach you. Some guys are just jerks and of course alcohol and being on vacation disinhibit some people. Anyway didn't mean to interrupt your great review, keep it coming!:)

Thank you :)

Yes, I am gay. Those guys weren't hitting on me. They were making inappropriate sexual advances. I'd write what they specifically said, but it would likely get deleted for being very inappropriate. It would be no different if a man asked a woman to perform certain acts on him. What they said would be inappropriate and offensive to almost anyone. It wasn't like they were asking to get to know each other and see where it goes. It was, lets go back to my room. It'll only be a few minutes. The second guy was even more inappropriate than the first guy.

Their advances went far beyond them being attracted to me and hitting on me. They likely didn't care what the other person looked like. They just wanted a release.

I did politely decline their advances, but they were advances that never should have been made.

There was no way of either man knowing I am gay. I never went to a Friends of Dorothy event and I wasn't "out" on the ship. I only told two people on the cruise. And they wouldn't have had contact with those two men.

Zack, you were perfectly within your rights to be offended by BOTH of these advances. It makes no difference who you are, how old you are, or what persuasion you are - advances of this nature are offensive.

I'm sorry you had to defend yourself to another poster. Perhaps they just didn't understand the nature of the advances.

Looking forward to reading more installments of your review!

:)

So what if he's gay? Do you like it when people of your preferred sex make disgusting, inappropriate and unwanted sexual comments to you? Additionally, why should he have "politely" rebuffed them? There is no reason that anyone needs to be "polite" to anyone who makes them feel uncomfortable, for any reason, ever.

So what if he's gay? Do you like it when people of your preferred sex make disgusting, inappropriate and unwanted sexual comments to you? Additionally, why should he have "politely" rebuffed them? There is no reason that anyone needs to be "polite" to anyone who makes them feel uncomfortable, for any reason, ever.

Exactly. Having someone hit on you and having someone ask for a specific sexual favor are VERY different (at least they used to be...).

I am enjoying your review quite a bit! I always wondered about the jail cell as well, so thanks for finding out the answer w/o being locked in it! I was majoring in Criminal Justice back when I was in college so that stuff interests me as well. Nice job facing your anxieties as well, I too have a few and some borderline OCD (doors closed/locked, and some very odd ones as well, haha) but my wife tolerates most of them! Keep up the review!

Zactak, Im loving your review! I also commend you on not letting those perverts ruin your cruise and for reporting them. Im not sure that I would have handled it as well as you did. Looking forward to the next installment of your review! Love the photos too. Keep it coming.:)

loving this review. When I was on the EPIC I didn't witness anything like the advances you got.. although I am a girl... There was one guy on our cruise, with obvious learning disability or maybe an autistic disorder. It was apparently his first cruise and vacation aboard... there were times where he would follow me around like a sheepdog, despite me trying to say I wanted to be alone, or go elsewhere. I was a bot worried about his safety onshore as he did just seem to latch onto anyone who would talk to him. Hopefully what has happened in your case is perhaps a one off. I hope so. :)

You did the right thing reporting the incidents. :)

I was really hesitant to put my name and room number on that sheet in the Living Room. I never did, but there was a sign up sheet for a dinner at Teppynaki and I did put my first name on that without the cabin number. Well the time had changed and there was no way for Vianney to contact me that they were going an hour earlier than planned, so I missed it :( So, its a double edged sword about putting your cabin number up there.

We also had a solo who we hadn't seen for a few days anywhere, and we were all concerned as she was having sciatica problems and couldn't walk. But we didn't know what cabin she was in, so there was no way to see if we could help her out or get her anything.

I was really hesitant to put my name and room number on that sheet in the Living Room. I never did, but there was a sign up sheet for a dinner at Teppynaki and I did put my first name on that without the cabin number. Well the time had changed and there was no way for Vianney to contact me that they were going an hour earlier than planned, so I missed it :( So, its a double edged sword about putting your cabin number up there.

We also had a solo who we hadn't seen for a few days anywhere, and we were all concerned as she was having sciatica problems and couldn't walk. But we didn't know what cabin she was in, so there was no way to see if we could help her out or get her anything.

I was going to add that to the thread about safety- don't give out your cabin number to anyone. That is a good point that you made.

I was going to add that to the thread about safety- don't give out your cabin number to anyone. That is a good point that you made.

Me too. I'm always surprised at how many people will announce their cabin number before their cruise on these boards too. Don't do it folks!

OP, I'm enjoying your review too btw.

Zack, I am loving your review. You are a great storyteller. I admire you for your honesty.

I recently broke up with my boyfriend and looking to do a solo cruise, but scared. I'm not a talkative person, more of an introvert, but would love to be able to hang out with other solo cruisers. Reading your blog help me to make up my mind. Keep it coming.

One of the ladies was able to get the front desk to contact her. She had a nurse helping her and thanked everyone for their concern. It's too bad her sciatica ended up being such a problem. She was really nice and I wish I'd been able to hang out with her more.

Great review and first solo cruise Zach! Wow,many twist and turns so far, that's for sure. With each twist adds to the adventure. Keep up the great work with your cruise adventure. Can't wait to hear about your 2nd solo cruise too.

Solo cruises are the best!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Please excuse any typographical errors.

Before leaving my cabin, I promised myself that I would not forget to bring my sunscreen with me.

Been there - Done that -- Nearly same result -- And no one to blame it on (which sucks) :(

Our first stop was to the Iguana Farm. Here, they have iguanas and chickens running around freely. With the help of the tour guides, you can pick up an iguana if you want. I chose not to.

Chuckled when I read that. I've been to St Maarten & St Thomas numerous times, and never recall seeing iguanas roaming freely . . . until the EPIC sailing right before yours. Sitting on a bench using wifi to update some online things when one creepy-crawled up really close. Quite the surprise to say the least. Touching it was not a desired option, so I just took some quick photos and moved to another spot.

Valerie was wearing open toed shoes and started a fashion fad in the bar.

Yes, those are gloves on her feet.

Priceless . . . and definitely original. :)

Zach: You earlier mentioned about your muster station being the Cirque Theatre/Spiegel Tent. For my first two EPIC sailings I was in Studio 12516 (right next to the one you were in), but this last one was in 12517 directly across the narrow hallway. Without paying attention to my card (duh!), I went on "auto pilot" to the theatre early and plopped at a table. Who knew that a mere three feet distance in cabin placement would make a difference in muster location?? Was rather embarrassing to be instructed to pay better attention, once someone arrived with the clipboard. Totally my fault. :o

One of the things I have been wondering about, somewhat jokingly at first, was whether or not the Solo area's could be used by some as a "meat market" so to speak. Sounds like it does, wanted or not. I am not completely sure I would have the guts to cruise alone, good going Zactac.

BTW: My mom cruises alone most of the time, dad died 20 years ago and she enjoys her freedom and hates being bogged down when friends or family goes with her :)

Really enjoying this review. We got a heck of sunburn in St Maarten too. It was bad!

On our tour, one of iguanas got ahold of a guys finger and he got quite the bite. I wonder when it changes to the zoo or whatever it's going to be if they'll change that stop on the tour?

Zac,

Great review so far. It was nice meeting you on the ship as well! It's such a bummer you were sick for the Meet and Greet because I saw you around the ship but never knew it was Zac from CC!! Mike is actually the one who let me know it was you during White Hot. Keep up the great review!

~Wes

One of the things I have been wondering about, somewhat jokingly at first, was whether or not the Solo area's could be used by some as a "meat market" so to speak. Sounds like it does, wanted or not. I am not completely sure I would have the guts to cruise alone, good going Zactac.

BTW: My mom cruises alone most of the time, dad died 20 years ago and she enjoys her freedom and hates being bogged down when friends or family goes with her :)

I don't think the lounge is generally. On my cruise it wasn't very well used... probably depends on the cruise in question, the TA and mediterrean ones didn't seem to have too many people cracking onto each other. I''m hoping these are unfortunate incidents and coincidental. I would go solo in the studios again without thinking if the prices and dates were right. :)

Zack, you were perfectly within your rights to be offended by BOTH of these advances. It makes no difference who you are, how old you are, or what persuasion you are - advances of this nature are offensive.

I'm sorry you had to defend yourself to another poster. Perhaps they just didn't understand the nature of the advances.

Looking forward to reading more installments of your review!

:)

I don't necessarily think I had to defend myself to Boston RN. They likely interpreted what I was saying differently and didnt understand the severity of it. It was a little difficult to explain what occurred on here without it going over the site guidelines.

Zactak, Im loving your review! I also commend you on not letting those perverts ruin your cruise and for reporting them. Im not sure that I would have handled it as well as you did. Looking forward to the next installment of your review! Love the photos too. Keep it coming.:)

Thank you :) I actually took a lot of what the perverts said in stride. Yes, I was uncomfortable and yes, I didnt feel comfortable being alone in the Lounge after it happened twice, but there was no reason to get worked up about it. It would only injure me and ruin my own vacation.

Archived