Cruise Critic Community
zactak

The Twists and Turns of my Solo Experience on the Norwegian EPIC (Mar 2-9, 2013)

Hey everyone!

For those that were interested in my additional travels beyond my cruise, I just updated my personal blog about leaving the EPIC and my first night in New York City. My first night was definitely one for the books! I have already started working on four additional days of my vacation, so I should pump out the rest of my vacation fairly quickly. You can check it all out at my travel blog, which the link is in my signature.

Hey everyone!

For those that were interested in my additional travels beyond my cruise, I just updated my personal blog about leaving the EPIC and my first night in New York City. My first night was definitely one for the books! I have already started working on four additional days of my vacation, so I should pump out the rest of my vacation fairly quickly. You can check it all out at my travel blog, which the link is in my signature.

Yeaaaaah! Something to read finally from Zac:D

Heading over now.

I hear ya! I put a deposit down on the Breakaway, but it's still hard to justify spending $1,300+ just for the cruise. I think in a year or so the Breakaway's prices will go down to more reasonable prices.

I am going in September- and that seems to be my total for the studio with port fees and the travel insurance. I think it is pushing it, but on the flip side vs the Epic, instead of a flight and 2 nights hotel it will just be a bus and 1 night in a hotel. After adding everything else on the totals wash out for the most part.

It will be nice to be on the ship when it is only 4 1/2 months in use. I was looking at the Getaway but the base price for studios is $1299 and $1499 not including fees/insurance and before any travel costs.

Thanks Zac for the review! We will be on the Epic in January and I can't wait.

I count steps too, but for practical reasons. Twenty years ago I broke my ankle when I missed the last step before the landing. (I have a three story house.) Now I always count 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 to each landing. My four year old grand daughter recently fell for after missing the last step, and now I have her counting too!

I am going in September- and that seems to be my total for the studio with port fees and the travel insurance. I think it is pushing it, but on the flip side vs the Epic, instead of a flight and 2 nights hotel it will just be a bus and 1 night in a hotel. After adding everything else on the totals wash out for the most part.

It will be nice to be on the ship when it is only 4 1/2 months in use. I was looking at the Getaway but the base price for studios is $1299 and $1499 not including fees/insurance and before any travel costs.

The same is really true for me too. By the time I factor in transportation to Miami, the price will be in upwards of $1,300+ for the EPIC. I live within a short bus or train ride to NYC, so I can get there fairly cheaply.

Hopefully once the "newness" of the Breakaway and eventually the Getaway wear off, the prices will go down, like they did for the EPIC.

Thanks Zac for the review! We will be on the Epic in January and I can't wait.

I count steps too' date=' but for practical reasons. Twenty years ago I broke my ankle when I missed the last step before the landing. (I have a three story house.) Now I always count 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 to each landing. My four year old grand daughter recently fell for after missing the last step, and now I have her counting too! [/size']

You'll have a lot of fun on the EPIC! I had a great time.

That is a good reason to count stairs. When I am walking downstairs from my bedroom in the dark, I count the stairs for that reason too. I don't want to miss a step!

I've asked my cruise consultant to reserve this cabin on the April 2014 TA... I've learnt from my 1st EPIC studio experience not to go for the cabins on the other side of the stairwell. :)

Thanks for a great trip report zactak. I am considering a solo cruise on the Epic later this year, and this has been very helpful (and pictures are always nice :D)

I've asked my cruise consultant to reserve this cabin on the April 2014 TA... I've learnt from my 1st EPIC studio experience not to go for the cabins on the other side of the stairwell. :)

hehe, yeah I would have hated to have been on the other side of the stairwell. I liked how close to everything I was in that room. I think I have other pictures I took of the cabin if you're interested.

Thanks for a great trip report zactak. I am considering a solo cruise on the Epic later this year, and this has been very helpful (and pictures are always nice :D)

I'm glad I could help you. I hope you go on a solo cruise, they really are a lot of fun.

Great Review Zac,

I am really looking forward to my first solo B2B on Epic next January. Reading your review just made me wish days would pass faster. It has been 3 yrs since my last cruise so already excited and reviews like yours just increase the excitement :)

Great review Zac. You are one heck of a writer.

Thanks again and keep up the writing.

I just came upon your review. You are such a talented writer. I was on the Epic this past February and your pics and stories brought back some fond memories for me. Thank you for sharing.

They absolutely would not be! I really hate how people always want to have their hands held out expecting something. After I read that Norwegian was planning to give me something, I debated whether or not to contact them after booking my cruise. I still haven't, and it's still in the back of my mind. I really don't feel like I deserve anything.

I hear ya! I put a deposit down on the Breakaway, but it's still hard to justify spending $1,300+ just for the cruise. I think in a year or so the Breakaway's prices will go down to more reasonable prices.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!! Zactak, I'm just seeing this post but I have been worried about going on my cruise alone. I booked it because people either didn't have the money to go or have the time or even wanted to go. I have never been on a trip alone and i felt that this would be good for me because there are others traveling solo. Your review made me fell better about my decision and now i'm ready to go meet others and even do things on my own while on the EPIC if needed. I have a friend that wants to go now, and is thinking about me upgrading to a balcony but I still feel as though i want to experience the solo life.. (Silly I know). I'm going on a NYE cruise this December so hopefully the ship will be full of energy. The only thing i'm concerned about is creeps and i'm a female alone.. Your photos and reviews were awesome and it has inspired me to write about my first experience traveling alone. I get alot of nay-sayers commenting when I say i'm cruising alone.. It makes me feel weird or some kind of way. but i know that i'm doing something that I WANT regardless if others don't understand how I can travel alone or why.