Keep checking those flight rates!

oldschoolpinball

My wonderful wife decided yesterday to check the flight rates for our upcoming cruise in April.since we have already paid for our flight tickets back in January she noticed that the prices dropped 95 per ticket for our group of 5! Now virgin America gave us a credit of almost 500 to be used on future flights.keep checking those prices as you never know what may happen

My wonderful wife decided yesterday to check the flight rates for our upcoming cruise in April.since we have already paid for our flight tickets back in January she noticed that the prices dropped 95 per ticket for our group of 5! Now virgin America gave us a credit of almost 500 to be used on future flights.keep checking those prices as you never know what may happen

Virgin America has a $75 change fee which must be paid before you can take advantage of any price drops on nonrefundable tickets. Are you saying you didn't pay this fee and you had a nonrefundable ticket?

The only airlines that I know of with no charge when there's a fare drop are Southwest, Alaska and JetBlue

Virgin America has a $75 change fee which must be paid before you can take advantage of any price drops on nonrefundable tickets. Are you saying you didn't pay this fee and you had a nonrefundable ticket?

The only airlines that I know of with no charge when there's a fare drop are Southwest, Alaska and JetBlue

That's correct we had the non refundable tickets and we did not pay any fees.it was as simple as calling up and saying the price dropped and them giving us credit with "virgin bank"

I booked my flights with Southwest and so far, our rate dropped $76 pp. Southwest doesn't charge any change fees, and now I have a credit towards the flights for my next cruise this year!

Yay! Unless I get a super duper cheap price upfront, I try to stick with airlines that offer a bit of flexibility when booking far in advance. It pays off often, even if it's just to change flight times without penalty.

I see the fee is actually now supposed to be $100. Were you in Main Cabin Select or first class? Otherwise, I have no idea how you were not charged this fee, unless you just had an agent who didn't know what they were doing, and you were very lucky:

http://virginamerica.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/58

We are in main cabin express and not select.i am very grateful if we indeed get an agent who didn't know but it was amazingly easy to do

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I just understand the whole refunds for price drops thing. Refunds, if any, should be like retail - if the price drops within 1 week or so of purchase, then they refund the difference. What I don't understand or agree with is getting refunds on price drops several months after purchase. Crazy, IMHO.

I guess I just understand the whole refunds for price drops thing. Refunds, if any, should be like retail - if the price drops within 1 week or so of purchase, then they refund the difference. What I don't understand or agree with is getting refunds on price drops several months after purchase. Crazy, IMHO.

Stores usually give a cash refund for the price difference. Except for fully-refundable airfares, the airlines give a credit that in most cases is only good for a year from the date of original ticketing. And, a fee of $75-$150 is usually deducted from the credit. (Southwest, Alaska, and JetBlue currently do not charge a change fee). That's quite different from a retail store.

The airfare thing lies somewhere between a regular, full-retail purchase and "all sales are final, no refunds or credits"

Stores usually give a cash refund for the price difference. Except for fully-refundable airfares, the airlines give a credit that in most cases is only good for a year from the date of original ticketing. And, a fee of $75-$150 is usually deducted from the credit. (Southwest, Alaska, and JetBlue currently do not charge a change fee). That's quite different from a retail store.

The airfare thing lies somewhere between a regular, full-retail purchase and "all sales are final, no refunds or credits"

Sorry, but there was a typo in my original message - I don't understand why people expect refunds when prices drop, unless the price drops within a very short time after booking a flight, like 24 to 48 hours.

We fly Airtran alot, and I always watch the price after I book. Several times, I have gotten a credit on my account for the amount of the lower price. No change fee. The credit will be on my account until 1 year from the date of original purchase. I can then use it towards the cost of checking my luggage. Every dollar is helpful now a days!

Archived