Anything Montreal

sebas030

We have 2 full days in Montreal before our cruise and have never been there. Is there anything we should NOT miss?

I don't like just wandering a town without some kind of idea of what we should be looking for and have not had time to read up about Montreal at all.

Should I book a walking tour? Or can we do this city on our own?

We arrive by air and leave by cruise ship so we don't have a car.

Thank you for your help.

We have 2 full days in Montreal before our cruise and have never been there. Is there anything we should NOT miss?

I don't like just wandering a town without some kind of idea of what we should be looking for and have not had time to read up about Montreal at all.

Should I book a walking tour? Or can we do this city on our own?

We arrive by air and leave by cruise ship so we don't have a car.

Thank you for your help.

To your first point: My idea of 'do-not-miss' interests may not be the same as yours...so I will refer you to these preceding posts in which I laid out quite a bit of information

WHAT TO SEE / DO: see POSTS #11, #12, #20, #22, #33

To your second point: Montreal is quite a large city, but relatively easy to get around in...many people speak English (to varying degrees!) but will try as best they can to help out if you need assistance. Our subway system is first rate, the buses are plentiful, but it's been so long since I've used them to commute that I am no longer a reliable resource for that. A walking tour would work, if you are limiting yourself to a specific area (Old Montreal for example, or the Downtown Core).

TOUR OPTION, see POST #12

SELF SERVICE BIKES, see POST #34

To your third point: No car should not be a problem...depending on where your hotel is. You can get an express bus from the airport to downtown for an affordable fee.

747 BUS INFO see POST #35

Many hotels also offer free shuttle service, but those hotels are usually closer to the airport than downtown or Old Montreal.

Enjoy your stay & your Cruise !

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi p-mori1!

May I ask a few questions too? We will be flying into Montreal in the early morning and we plan to buy the 747 express $9 bus pass to go to our hotel near old town(W Montreal). I was reading the bus 747 website and it says the machine onboard only accepts coins. I also remember you mentioned the transit system ticket machine does not take US credit cards either. Does that mean we better have Canadian dollar in hand to buy the ticket at the airport before boarding on the bus?

We will be arriving on an early Thursday morning in October. We are buying the day pass so I think we will utilize the subway and visit downtown and other parts of the city on the same day first. On Friday, we just walk around old town and water front and relax. Is it a good idea to visit downtown\other parts on Thursday and then visit old town on Friday in terms of street activities?

From the map I assume the entire old town is in walking distance from W hotel? Is mid Oct too cold to rent a bike to ride around? I especially want to bike in the university district and old town.

On Saturday morning, we will walk to VIA and take the first train to Quebec city to board our cruise. How reliable is VIA? Does it usually departure on time?

Thank you!

Hi p-mori1!

Hello !

May I ask a few questions too?

Sure !

We will be flying into Montreal in the early morning and we plan to buy the 747 express $9 bus pass to go to our hotel near old town(W Montreal).

OK

I was reading the bus 747 website and it says the machine onboard only accepts coins.

Correct.

I also remember you mentioned the transit system ticket machine does not take US credit cards either.

There is a 747 bus Ticket vending machine in the International Arrivals Lobby at the Montreal Airport. I know it accepts CDN $ bills. I am pretty sure it also accepts any Visa or Mastercard, even US ones. There also a counter there that usually has an agent that can assist with any questions on how to use the 747 bus.

747_counter.jpg

Does that mean we better have Canadian dollar in hand to buy the ticket at the airport before boarding on the bus?

That is always an option, and I suggest you do get some CDN $ anyways, even if not specifically for the bus. There is a money exchage counter in the Arrivals Lobby.

We will be arriving on an early Thursday morning in October. We are buying the day pass so I think we will utilize the subway and visit downtown and other parts of the city on the same day first.

Yes.

On Friday, we just walk around old town and water front and relax. Is it a good idea to visit downtown\other parts on Thursday and then visit old town on Friday in terms of street activities?

Yes. Old Montreal has many pubs / clubs that are usually quite busy on Friday nights. From your hotel you can also walk up University Street for more options.

From the map I assume the entire old town is in walking distance from W hotel?

Yes for any average person. People with mobility issues would find it tiring.

Is mid Oct too cold to rent a bike to ride around?

No. I suggest a windproof / rainproof jacket, that you can always rolls up and stow in a backpack. October mornings tend to be chilly (50's), will warm up during the day (60's) then cool down quickly in the evening. October usually has very nice days.

I especially want to bike in the university district and old town.

The Bixi stations are pretty close together in that area, so it sounds like a good plan.

On Saturday morning, we will walk to VIA and take the first train to Quebec city to board our cruise.

That's about a quarter mile walk. If it's raining, plan on taking a cab.

How reliable is VIA? Does it usually departure on time?

Very, and Yes.

Thank you!

You're welcome !

Edited by p_mori7

Thanks, P_mori7, for all the great info. I do have a question about the 747 bus from the airport. We are arriving mid afternoon next Friday (20th) and I'm wondering about our best option here. Is the bus ticket good for one calendar day, or for a 24 hour period (3:00 Fri. to 3:00 Sat)?

If only for the day, would this be a good option for just taking a ride around the city that night to see the "city lights"? Not sure of the route--if we would pass by some pretty buildings or areas that are lit at night. How near to the "L Hotel" could we get on this bus?

Other option is just take a taxi from airport and walk around Old Montréal that evening. Do you know the cost of a taxi from airport to "L" Hotel on Rue St Jacques?

Thanks, B

Thanks, P_mori7, for all the great info.

You're welcome.

I do have a question about the 747 bus from the airport. We are arriving mid afternoon next Friday (20th) and I'm wondering about our best option here. Is the bus ticket good for one calendar day, or for a 24 hour period (3:00 Fri. to 3:00 Sat)?

24 consecutive hours.

If only for the day, would this be a good option for just taking a ride around the city that night to see the "city lights"? Not sure of the route--if we would pass by some pretty buildings or areas that are lit at night. How near to the "L Hotel" could we get on this bus?

I suggest you check the bus itinerary on the 747 website here:

http://www.stm.info/en/info/networks/bus/shuttle/more-about-747-aeroport-p-e-trudeau-centre-ville-shuttle

I don't think the 747 bus would be the best for sight-seeing, and the route is very long.

Other option is just take a taxi from airport and walk around Old Montréal that evening. Do you know the cost of a taxi from airport to "L" Hotel on Rue St Jacques?

Not off-hand, but it won't be too bad.

Thanks, B

Airport to downtown is fixed rate for cabs ($40) and limos ($55; $60 if 'luxury limo') - so if by "L" Hotel you mean LHotel at 262 Saint Jacques Ouest you're well within the boundaries of the downtown core as defined on the limo rate card (Atwater to St Laurent, Pine to de la Commune). The linked document is in French, but page 3 has a clear map.

I'm sure P_mori would have answered that above if your hotels location had been more obvious (not really your fault, it's the stupidest name for a hotel I can imagine in a French speaking area as so many others are called L'Hotel de something!!!). It's crucial in Montreal to get your Saint/Sainte/St; Ouest/Est; L', le, les; de, de la, des, du; hyphens and diacritics correct in addresses... searching for exactly what you typed on Google maps brings up many hotels on both ends of Rue Saint Jacques, with L' or Le in their names, some in different price zones... the first time we used our GPS in Montreal was a very interesting learning experience!

Traffic has grown exponentially worse since 1967 !

For a no headache experience, hire a limo at the airport...not much more expensive than a regular cab, a flat rate fee of $55 (taxi is $40).

Your hotel may have a shuttle service ! Check with them first.

We fly into Montreal in the early afternoon and need to take the train to Quebec City in the evening. We want to take a quick tour around the city. With our luggage in tow, it sounds like a limo might be the best bet. Do you know where we can find rates?

We fly into Montreal in the early afternoon and need to take the train to Quebec City in the evening. We want to take a quick tour around the city. With our luggage in tow, it sounds like a limo might be the best bet. Do you know where we can find rates?

This is the INFO phone number for Taxis & Limos (Lincoln Town Cars) from the Montreal airport. Just tell them what you are looking to do and ask for a flat rate fee rather than by the meter.

Taxis et limousines 514-394-7377

Edited by p_mori7

I have been trying to find a map of the route of the HOHO bus in Montreal. I can find about everything else on their web site, but no map or route page. :confused: Surely I'm missing something.

Help, please!! :)

I really don't know if they have the tour map posted online somewhere...if they do, it is mighty difficult to find !

The HoHo Tour is operated by Gray Line Montreal.

Thier phone number is: 514-398-9769

I am sure they have something they could email to you if you give them a call.

This is the INFO phone number for Taxis & Limos (Lincoln Town Cars) from the Montreal airport. Just tell them what you are looking to do and ask for a flat rate fee rather than by the meter.

Taxis et limousines 514-394-7377

Thanks for the information. I'll give them a call.

Bonnie

Thanks P_mori7 for the help. When you mentioned that the HOHO bus was operated by Gray Line, I got to looking closer. The bus I was looking at is operated by Viator. So these are obviously two separate companies offering a similar tour.

It is difficult to find info on either of the tours---like hours of operation. The Gray Line tour closes down at 4:00 I think. Can't find that info for Viator. The tickets are good for two days, but can we use them in the evening? Or just during the daytime?

I'll try calling both tomorrow, but if anyone has info to help, I surely would appreciate it.

B.

Thanks P_mori7 for the help. When you mentioned that the HOHO bus was operated by Gray Line, I got to looking closer. The bus I was looking at is operated by Viator. So these are obviously two separate companies offering a similar tour.

It is difficult to find info on either of the tours---like hours of operation. The Gray Line tour closes down at 4:00 I think. Can't find that info for Viator. The tickets are good for two days, but can we use them in the evening? Or just during the daytime?

I'll try calling both tomorrow, but if anyone has info to help, I surely would appreciate it.

B.

Viator is simply reselling the Grayline tour. There is just one bus in Montreal.

• 2 weeks later...

Well...the Canadian cruise season is winding down...just a few more weeks to go...

If anybody has some last minute questions, now's the time...because on Friday morning I will be leaving for my annual moose hunt...I'll be back on the 15th.

I was given a limo/sedan quote of $75 per hour in Montreal. Do the drivers give you kind of a travelogue when you book this? We have a long layover in Montreal and were told we cannot drop luggage at airport and then leave to go sightseeing so we have to take luggage with us. Any suggestions? I was thinking of a day room at a hotel in the Old City.

I was given a limo/sedan quote of $75 per hour in Montreal. Do the drivers give you kind of a travelogue when you book this? We have a long layover in Montreal and were told we cannot drop luggage at airport and then leave to go sightseeing so we have to take luggage with us. Any suggestions? I was thinking of a day room at a hotel in the Old City.

As far as limo drivers being able to give information about the sights like a tour guide would be able to do, I think that would be hit or miss depending on the driver's historical knowledge of the city...mostly "miss"... I don't know which limo company gave you that quote, but I think "Groupe Classique Limousine" does have trained drivers that give commentary. 514-990-9396 I don't know them, so cannot vouch for quality of service offered.

Travelling all the way from the pier to the airport to check luggage, then back for sightseeing is not a viable alternative in my opinion.

A day reservation at a local hotel 'might' be possible, but I think that would be difficult to find.

I know there are "lockers" of different sizes at the Central Bus Station in Downtown Montreal. 514-842-2281 They can tell you what the rates / limits are for the lockers. Added bonus, the "747" airport bus departs from the Central Bus station every 20 minutes.

Thank you for all the wonderful information in this thread!

My husband and I will be ending a cruise next October in Quebec City. Currently we plan to do a little sightseeing in Quebec City and then catch the afternoon Via Rail train to Montreal. We will probably spend only one night in Montreal and catch the Amtrak train the following morning to New York City.

How far apart are the Via Rail and Amtrak stations?

What hotel(s) would you recommend in the area?

Thank you for all the wonderful information in this thread!

My husband and I will be ending a cruise next October in Quebec City. Currently we plan to do a little sightseeing in Quebec City and then catch the afternoon Via Rail train to Montreal. We will probably spend only one night in Montreal and catch the Amtrak train the following morning to New York City.

How far apart are the Via Rail and Amtrak stations?

What hotel(s) would you recommend in the area?

Via Rail & AMTRAK are both serviced out the Central Train Station if I am not mistaken.

There are lots of hotel choices within walking distance (or a very short cab ride) of the "Gare Centrale" or "Central Train Station".

Hilton Montreal Bonaventure 514-878-2332

Delta Centre-Ville 514-879-1370

Fairmount Queen Elizabeth 514-861-3511

W Montreal 514-395-3100

Holiday Inn Midtown 514-842-6111

Hilton Garden Inn Centre-Ville 514-840-0010

• 1 month later...

Well...the cruise season here in Montreal has officially ended...and the snow will start to fly tonight in the northern suburbs. Western Quebec got 2 inches today...and the system is headed this way...

My freezer is full of Moose meat (we came back with 2 this year, split equally amongst the 4 of us that went hunting)...

The swimming pool is drained & winterized...

The insulation in my garge is finished, so I can now put some heat into it...and get more projects done with a nice warm place to work...

This week I will be installing the snowblower & snowcab on my trusty Craftsman lawn tractor...

Still a few flocks of Canada Geese on the river near my house...they are gobbling up remains from the corn harvest in fields not too far away before making thier final push south...

Did everybody enjoy visiting Montreal ?

Were my thoughts & suggestions helpful ?

If there are new readers to this thread thinking about cruising out of (or to) Montreal...and you have some questions...don't be shy !

I'll be popping in here at least weekly to see if there is any new activity.

:D

Edited by p_mori7

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you for this very informative site!

We will be disembarking in Montreal from our October 2014 cruise. We we wondering about the airports closest to the cruise port.

Is Quebec International Airport (YQB) the closest to the cruise port?

For cruises ending in Montreal, the closest airport is the Montreal airport "Pierre Elliott Trudeau International"...call sign YUL.

It's also the biggest airport in the province...and has a lot more flight options than YQB...which is in Quebec City...about 3 hours away by car.

It is about a 20 minute cab ride from the pier..

Edited by p_mori7

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any cruise line, other than Carnival, that sails to/from Montreal? We liked RCL and I believe they sail out of Quebec City only. Is it possible to take a bus from Quebec City to Montreal, which would probably be quite a bit cheaper than the train? Recommendations for a one night stay in Quebec City and Montreal? Trish

Is there any cruise line, other than Carnival, that sails to/from Montreal? We liked RCL and I believe they sail out of Quebec City only. Is it possible to take a bus from Quebec City to Montreal, which would probably be quite a bit cheaper than the train? Recommendations for a one night stay in Quebec City and Montreal? Trish
I don't think Carnival cruises from Montreal. Only Holland America (the Maasdam), Regent, Seaborn and Oceania will do so in 2014.

Here's a link to information about getting from Quebec City to Montreal by bus, train and car.

Edited by Cruise_More_Often