Coral Princess Panama Cruise with my Dad, March 17-27

funkyfaces

Grand Cayman Monday March 25

No exercise for me this morning since my dad and I had booked the Grand Cayman bike tour. My dad had picked this excursion, but while on the ship he had concerns if he was physically able to do it. He picked two other choices and we tried to change them, but no luck. The alternative excursions were full. We decided to do it anyway. Boarding the tender to Grand Cayman was rather difficult since the boat kept slamming against the walkway. Come on Grand Cayman- when are you going to build a pier? After a short bus ride, we got to the starting point for our ride. We were told that due to the high waves that the snorkeling part of our excursion was canceled. JJ and Colin were our guides. We were fitted with helmets, adjusted the seats on our mountain bikes and off we went to our first stop – the Turtle Farm.

They weren’t joking when the excursion description for this tour recommended that you’d be in good physical condition. Between the heat and the rather brisk pace the group quickly separated into the ones who could keep up with the leader, Colin and ones who couldn’t. Unfortunately at this time a woman ahead of my dad swerved to the left and he didn’t stop in time. Both went down and got minor cuts. They finished the rest of the tour in JJ’s pick-up vehicle. Our first stop was at the Turtle Farm and after applying a band-aid to my dad’s knee, we went in. We saw all the concrete pools containing different sizes of sea turtles. Some were to be released into the ocean, and some would end up as food. One of the oldest turtles there was over 60 years old. My dad got to hold a young sea turtle for the first time. I bet those little turtles get tired of all us tourists. Our next stop was a very short jaunt down the road to a Tortuga rum and rum cake store to sample the wares. I wasn’t a fan of the flavored rum, but I liked the cinnamon raisin rum cake. (Of course I bought one.) Any of our purchases went in JJ’s vehicle. He also had cold water for thirsty riders at our different stops. Our next stop was Hell where you could see how the dead formations may have given that place its name, though there are conflicting stories how it got its name. We posed for the typical cheesy pictures of us in Hell and checked out Hell’s gift shop. JJ told us that there are no churches in Hell. Like a bat out of Hell (sorry, I couldn’t resist :D), we pedaled back to our starting point. We boarded the bus which took us to Barefoot Beach where we had use of a lounge chair and could get one free drink. The area was pretty, but the rough surf had churned up all sorts of seaweed on the beach and in the water. We decided to take an earlier bus back to the terminal. We were dropped off at the wrong area and had to walk about 5 blocks to get to the Princess tender area. As we walked we saw a huge two block long line of hot, frustrated passengers waiting to get on the tender back to the Carnival ship. We were able to get on the Princess tender right away. I’ve got to admit, it is very nice to be greeted at the Princess terminal with a smile, a cold washcloth and a cup of cold water.

After a quick shower and a hardy lunch we felt ready for another round of trivia which we lost (again) to the one superteam . Nothing drowns disappointment better than a great meal and great conversation with our table mates and new friends, Rory and Sarah and Bob and Edna. We watched the Princess Pop Choir perform in the Atrium (Go Susan!) and played the Passenger Feud Game at the Explorers Lounge we teamed up with a couple from Florida who lived originally in Ohio. We didn’t win, but had fun playing. We chatted for the next 45 minutes about the cruise, our families, and Ohio. My dad and I finished the evening with an ice cream cone and turned in for the night.

Those of you who were on the cruise are wondering, “Wait a second. Didn’t you do the Country and Western trivia game in the evening?” Even though I love trivia games- nope, I did not. I know nothing about country/western music so I would have been no help on anyone’s team.

Next- the final sea day

Final Sea Day Tuesday March 26 and Disembarkation March 26

We had been blessed with wonderful weather for this cruise with the exception of this final day at sea. We woke to cloudy skies and rough seas. The final Zumba class on the Lido deck was canceled because it was difficult to walk in a straight line let alone attempt dance steps. The water was splashing out of the netted pools and the attendants had quite a job trying to keep the deck dry. At least there were lots of deck chairs available.:rolleyes: My dad and I played Scrabble in the game room as we waited for the outlet sale in the Bordeaux Dining Room to start. I needed to find a cheap watch to replace the one I thought I lost in Grand Cayman. (Side note: At home, I did find my regular watch in my short’s pocket after it went through the washer and dryer. Surprisingly, it is still working.) I normally don’t get seasick, but I was feeling a little queasy that morning. Walking around the Atrium, we bumped into our table mates Sarah and Rory and Sarah gave me one of her Dramaine pills. It did help, but never try taking one of those without water. After coming in third for the morning trivia, we picked up the DVD that I won for the poster contest. There was plenty that day to keep passengers occupied – a gallery tour, various lectures, a line dance review, the ballroom dance review, results of the scavenger hunt, movies, bingo, afternoon tea, Spanish lessons, and the passenger talent show.

I had a “what was I thinking?” moment when I saw the crowd in the Universe Lounge for the passenger talent show. Curse this bad weather- most of these people would have been on the Lido Deck around the pool rather than seeing what fellow passengers could do to entertain them. Sure enough, I had to go first.:eek: Actually it wasn’t too bad. I first talked about how I normally tell this story that I face paint volunteers from the audience and turn them into characters from the story. Since I didn’t pack my face paint, they had to be satisfied with one of my favorite African folktales, “Anansi and the Talking Melon.” It went better than I thought. Next was Al who played several tunes on his harmonica. Marilyn sang and tap danced to “I Could Have Danced All Night.” Chuck, a young man from Pittsburgh did a fantastic beat box routine and got lots of applause. (Beat-box is making various percussion-like sounds with just your voice.)Donna finished up with a tap dance. She did a great job considering how much the ship was rocking. No prizes were given (rats- I really wanted another Princess pen), but it was fun. :)

We finished the afternoon with ice cream and trivia. Who knew that termites produce more gas than cattle? Our final dinner had great food and great conversation. We said good-bye to our new friends, Edna and Bob, Sarah and Rory, exchanged e-mail addresses, and wished each other a safe trips home. We tipped our awesome waiter, Roy, and went our separate ways. By the time we arrived in the Princess Theater for the Farewell Variety Show, balloons were being bounced all around. The cruise staff led us in singing ‘YCMA”. The singers and dancers performed a high energy number with flips and splits and comedian, Scott Wyler had us laughing with his humorous observations of cruise passengers. Piano entertainer, Antonio Saici, did a Beatles’ tunes sing along with the audience. My dad turned in for the evening and I went to the Princess Pop Star Final. One man and three women had made it to the finals. My karaoke friend, Laura, did her best, but the audience voted Cheryl (who was also quite good) the winner. All the finalists got a Princess gift.

The final show was the Coral Princess International Show where the crew and staff showcased their talents. We were told that this type of show started about 6 years ago during a bad hurricane season. The weather forced entertainers to miss the ship and would shorten or lengthen different cruise, so Princess came up with this show to entertain the passengers. Two crew members sang that night, and the cruise staff did their tribute to the fountains at the Belagio in Las Vegas. With Enya music in the background, the toga clad staff imitated fountains as they spat water at each other. Believe me, it was more hilarious seeing it in person. They finished with the traditional Princess song and skit “If I Were Not Upon the Sea”. Let’s just say that pink tulle is not the cruise director’s color.

We were up extra early for the breakfast buffet before our self-disembarkation. As we left the ship at a bit after 7 am, Miko saw me and said, “If you come cruising with us again, bring more buckeye candy.” (Side note: I’d give pieces of the chocolate covered peanut butter treat to whoever hosted the morning or afternoon trivia.) We had a very easy time going through customs, got a cab, and were sitting at the airport gate in Fort Lauderdale by 8 am. We had more than enough time for our 10:05 am flight back home. It was a bit sad getting back to the reality of a dreary, cold Ohio, but at least my dad and I had our warm memories of the people we met and the adventures we had. We both ranked this cruise in our top five vacations. I think that the only thing that can top this trip is if we could do a cruise with my husband and daughters, my sister, and my brother, sister-in-law and nieces. I don’t think we’ll be able to afford another cruise soon. At Easter, my eldest daughter got engaged so we might have two weddings in 2014. My youngest daughter will wed on April 12, 2014. The only way we could cruise again soon would to win the lottery.

I’ll do a post comparing Princess to Royal Caribbean, and Carnival. If you have ever hesitated about cruising with a parent – don’t. My dad and I had a great time and made memories. We had time for him to tell me stories from his childhood that I never heard before. Happy cruising to all !:D

And now for a quick comparison between the different cruise lines I’ve been on. This is my own completely biased opinion. I like the classy casual attitude and excellent service on Princess. I like the little touches like a washcloth and a cold drink of water waiting at the gang plank after coming back from an excursion. I never saw any falling down drunk people on either of my Princess cruises. I like the décor in Princess and Royal Caribbean ships. Carnival had more passenger participation in activities, especially in the evenings. Carnival’s cabin bathrooms are larger. Carnival’s John Heald is one of the best cruise directors I’ve ever seen. He was out each day talking to passengers and solving any problems with grace and a bit of humor. Also their entertainment was quite good, especially the Comedy Club. Carnival and Royal Caribbean have towel animals. Royal Caribbean had the widest range of ages of passengers and more things to do on board. I liked the layout of the Liberty of the Seas better than the Coral Princess because if you are in the forward part of the Coral Princess you have to go aft to get an elevator that goes to all of the floors. Food in the MDR on the Coral Princess and Ruby Princess was better. All in all, I’ve had a good time on all three cruise lines, but for now, I seem to feel the most comfortable on a Princess cruise. The reason for that could be my age (I’m in my 50’s). I don’t need to be around a mob of kids or see hairy chest contests. I’d love to try out other lines and someday I would love to do a riverboat cruise in Europe. Thanks to everyone who has read my long winded review and have fun on any of your future cruises.:)

.,,,, Thanks to everyone who has read my long winded review and have fun on any of your future cruises.:)

We completely enjoyed your review. It is never a problem to read something "long winded" when is so nicely written and informative. Thank you!

Thank you Tyskie, jean s, and ar1950 for your kind words.:D I thought that I better write down the details before my dad and I forgot them. Cruise Critic members' insights have helped me so much in my past three cruises and hopefully this review will help out somebody else. Until my next cruise, I'll be lurking on the forums enjoying other people's posts and pictures and hoping for another cruise.

have never been on Princess,but this ship and itinerary sounds so interesting.We alternate between ocean and river cruises, try one you ll LIKE it.

Loved all the details, will go back and read it before I book for next year.

Was this cruise full?Thinking of xmas 2014, not sure when itinerary comes out and how early to book for mini suite or above.//??:confused:

What a fantastic review!!! I throroughly enjoyed every word from start to finish... you're a terrific writer with a very engaging style! Thanks so much for taking the time to entertain us with your memories. Glad you and your dad had such a lovely experience. :)

Oh what a delight to read your review posts and relive the cruise again (with a notable exception :( that of the poor woman overboard...)

My mom (Swimdolly) and I really enjoyed meeting you and your dad and spending some time with you. It's wonderful that you got to experience this with him...this was my mom's and my 5th cruise together (since my husband won't cruise, he thinks he will be seasick....) and I love the one-on-one time we get since we don't live that close to one another.

I loved reading (and hearing) about your zip lining - my mom and I ziplined in St. Lucia last year and it was wonderful....and her idea!

It really was a wonderful cruise aside from that unfortunate event. I hope you didn't get the snows that hit after it was over; I know the midwest got it.

Thanks again for such a detailed report, and for your company! I would love to do it again.

Oh what a delight to read your review posts and relive the cruise again (with a notable exception :( that of the poor woman overboard...)

My mom (Swimdolly) and I really enjoyed meeting you and your dad and spending some time with you. It's wonderful that you got to experience this with him...this was my mom's and my 5th cruise together (since my husband won't cruise, he thinks he will be seasick....) and I love the one-on-one time we get since we don't live that close to one another.

I loved reading (and hearing) about your zip lining - my mom and I ziplined in St. Lucia last year and it was wonderful....and her idea!

It really was a wonderful cruise aside from that unfortunate event. I hope you didn't get the snows that hit after it was over; I know the midwest got it.

Thanks again for such a detailed report, and for your company! I would love to do it again.

Barb!:D Great to hear from you and thanks for sharing the taxi ride in Aruba and all the conversations we had with you and your mom. It is a blast to travel with a parent who likes to travel. My dad and I had fun just talking to fellow passengers. My dad mentioned to me that one of the many things he liked about the cruise was watching me enjoy myself. I know that I wouldn't have done the ballroom dance classes , karaoke, or the passenger talent show if I was just traveling with my husband.

There was a little snow on the ground when we arrived back in Ohio, but we missed the worst of it. While we were gone, my husband said that it was snowy, overcast, and cold. I try not to talk about the fun that Dad and I had on this cruise, because I think he's a bit envious.He did say that 11 days was too long to be away from me. Perhaps after my daughters are married, we could go on a cruise and we'll go zip lining. I'd love to cruise again.

nunuc2000, thanks for your gracious compliments.:) alexandra cruiser - yes the cruise was full, but I talked to some people who booked it just weeks before. We booked it in January 2013 and had no problem getting a balcony room. Which river cruises have you've been on? Have you written any reviews? Which river cruise line is good for a first-timer?

Hi, Marjorie - thank you so much for such an interesting and comprehensive review of our voyage! You and Ray did so much more on and off the ship than Barb and I did (we were at the pool or beach whenever possible). We also were thinking about a European River cruise and thought that the Easter Europe to the Black Sea sounded good to us. Besides, it would add three countries to those I have been to and would

bring the total up to 100! Great incentive. Now, if I could only find the money!

I just love your review. I wish I had discovered cruising while my mom was alive. She would have really enjoyed it. I read where your daughters are getting married and you can't cruise until after those wonderful events. All I am saying is that is what City Hall and a justice of the peace is for.:D More cruising for you. Seriously thank you for posting your experience.

With the English translation of the funeral home's website, Carol Imbeault was Bertha Travers' husband. The funeral is April 14. Judging from the online memorials, she was much loved and had many friends. Again our condolences to her family and friends.:(

On a much lighter note, I did chuckle reading boaterette's comment about City Hall and a justice of the peace. It's far too late for that - my one daughter already has her dress, and has deposits for the venue,reception, DJ, and photographer. All that combined is already more than what it cost for our entire wedding over 30 years ago. I don't want to think what the final cost will be.:eek::D Also thanks boaterette and username008. It's nice to get feedback from fellow CC members.:)

And now for a quick comparison between the different cruise lines I’ve been on. This is my own completely biased opinion. I like the classy casual attitude and excellent service on Princess. I like the little touches like a washcloth and a cold drink of water waiting at the gang plank after coming back from an excursion. I never saw any falling down drunk people on either of my Princess cruises. I like the décor in Princess and Royal Caribbean ships. Carnival had more passenger participation in activities, especially in the evenings. Carnival’s cabin bathrooms are larger. Carnival’s John Heald is one of the best cruise directors I’ve ever seen. He was out each day talking to passengers and solving any problems with grace and a bit of humor. Also their entertainment was quite good, especially the Comedy Club. Carnival and Royal Caribbean have towel animals. Royal Caribbean had the widest range of ages of passengers and more things to do on board. I liked the layout of the Liberty of the Seas better than the Coral Princess because if you are in the forward part of the Coral Princess you have to go aft to get an elevator that goes to all of the floors. Food in the MDR on the Coral Princess and Ruby Princess was better. All in all, I’ve had a good time on all three cruise lines, but for now, I seem to feel the most comfortable on a Princess cruise. The reason for that could be my age (I’m in my 50’s). I don’t need to be around a mob of kids or see hairy chest contests. I’d love to try out other lines and someday I would love to do a riverboat cruise in Europe. Thanks to everyone who has read my long winded review and have fun on any of your future cruises.:)

WOW! I'm sure that review took a lot of time. It was very informative. I'm quoting you here, because I have also been on different ships and enjoyed them - but always come back to Princess. They just seem to "fit" us. (Or maybe it's the pasta!!!!!!:D) Thanks so much!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived