Plymouth question

We will be stopping in Plymouth on our cruise this summer. I was wondering if anyone had ever been there and if we should explore Plymouth on our own or go on a ships tour to either Dartmouth or Exeter. Thanks.

Plymouth would give you a very pleasant day out if you wanted to explore on your own.

It is what I would do if I was a visitor, but my nephew runs a pub in Plymouth so I doubt I would get much further than there icon_cool.gificon_wink.gif.

Nick

NCL Star March 2004

We board the Noordam on June 2nd for the D-Day anniversary cruise. Our first stop, on the 3rd, is Plymouth (due to its having been a major gathering point for the convoys prior to D-Day; the ships that gathered here were the first to set sail for the Normandy beaches, since they had the furthest to go).

We opted for a shore exursion (A Taste of Devon, Cream Tea). The reason: I have been informed, on this board, that you must tender in to shore. We are only in Plymouth from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. So I thought an organized tour would be the best use of our time.

Not much to really see in Plymouth: you can see the Pilgrim Steps, purportedly the spot where the Pilgrims sailed for America in 1620 (and also the spot where Drake set off on his around-the-world cruise). A couple museums, perhaps.

Enjoy your cruise!

• 4 years later...

sorry but i must come back on the previous comment Plymouth is a beautiful city with an historic waterfront and the pilgrim fathers did set sail from there not supposedly. The surrounding countryside is stunning especially Dartmoor the distance from Plymouth city centre to the edge of the moor is just 7 miles . The city was very badly bombed in the 2nd world war and ugly buildings were erected after the war but a real effort is being made to improve the city centre . St Andrews Church and the Guildhall are both historic buildings right in the city centre . As you might have guessed I am a Plymouth resident , so biased ----maybe J

Hi,

I did a walking tour in Plymouth and found it very enjoyable. Afterwards, we arrived at a main shopping area and a shuttle brought us back to the ship. We were told about the extensive bombings during WWII with almost daily attacks. It is amazing that anything was left. The Mayflower steps are covered with water so hard to view, but nice to know where the forefathers left from and how we have a town with the same name. There is a billboard with names who were on the Mayflower. All of the history is incredible. My brother went into Dartmouth and enjoyed being on a Harry Potter style train. The surrounding countryside is very beautiful and if you are lucky their roundabouts will be full of flowers. Look over each of the tours that are offered and I am sure you will be able to pick out something to your liking. Yes, it is a tender port.

Hope you have a great time.

sorry but i must come back on the previous comment Plymouth is a beautiful city with an historic waterfront and the pilgrim fathers did set sail from there not supposedly. The surrounding countryside is stunning especially Dartmoor the distance from Plymouth city centre to the edge of the moor is just 7 miles . The city was very badly bombed in the 2nd world war and ugly buildings were erected after the war but a real effort is being made to improve the city centre . St Andrews Church and the Guildhall are both historic buildings right in the city centre . As you might have guessed I am a Plymouth resident , so biased ----maybe J

A Tour being offered on our Jewel of the Seas TA Cruise in September offers a trip to Mt. Edgcumbe. What can you tell me about it ? Is it worth seeing ?

Thanks

Mount Edgecumbe is on the Cornish side of the river and although there is a ferry that runs from Plymouth to Torpoint I do know that the Royal Caribbean tours take passengers by road . It is a lovely ride though lovely scenery , you begin by crossing the Tamar bridge [ which crosses the river Tamar this river divides Devon and Cornwall ] which runs parellel to the main railway line and the very famous Brunel Railway Bridge . The journey then takes you through open countryside to Mount Edgecumbe . , it is the home of the Earls of Mount Edgecumbe and dates back to Elizabethan times. It is well worth a visit , my cousin Kathryn Alexander is a tour guide for the company Royal Caribbean use and Mount Edgecumbe is usually her trip, she is an excellent guide with a great deal of local knowledge if you decide to take this trip let me know Janet

Since my Wife is very interested in " all things Tudor " we have signed up for this Tour on Sept. 10th off RCL's Jewel of the Seas. This is how they describe it :

Mt. Edgcumbe House & Panoramic Plymouth - PY01

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Plymouth has dramatically shaped the world's maritime history. Francis Drake, the greatest of all the Elizabethan explorers, set sail from Plymouth in 1577 at the start of his journey around the world. Sir Walter Raleigh began his epic voyage to Carolina from Plymouth in 1584, and later the Pilgrim Fathers left the Barbican docks aboard "Mayflower" in 1620 to found New England.

Your tour starts with a panoramic overview of Plymouth whose modern center is the result of extensive rebuilding after significant damage suffered during the last War. The city lies between the Plym and Tamar Rivers, commanding the entrance to the English Channel with one of the finest natural harbors in the world. The city contains much history and culture, with the main historical events centered on the Barbican and Plymouth Hoe areas. You will drive around the Hoe, commanding magnificent views over Plymouth Sound. Continue to the outskirts of the city to cross the River Tamar and on the opposite bank of the river Mount Edgcumbe House can be seen nestling amongst the trees. This Tudor Mansion of the Edgcumbe family was built in 1547, but was restored following extensive damage caused by the blitz of 1941. Today, this red sandstone house stands in magnificent parkland with superb views of Plymouth Sound.

You will see the large beautifully furnished airy rooms

It would be fun to have that Special Guide ! Dennis

• 2 months later...
hi just to let you know I have visited Kathryn today she is definatly doing a tour for Jewel of the Seas on your trip and she usually does Mount Edgcombe I will give her your details J

We look forward to the Tour and meeting Kathryn. Can you ask her to please arrange nice sunny weather with no rain ?;)

Dennis & Leanne

• 1 month later...

Be aware that the country roads around Plymouth can get jammed with holiday traffic in the summer. You may spend your time looking at the vehicle in front. It can get very bad.

Plymouth itself has a lot to offer. You can do it on foot, so you won't get held up!

Archived