Cruise Critic Community
cruizecrazygramma

My Equinox review

A little late but this is my review of the Equinox from Feb. 22.

Having only ever sailed norwegian and Princess before, I found the line up to embark on the equinox long and slow. Once aboard the ship is beautiful. We made our way to the sunset bar where we enjoyed some cool beverages and met some fellow passengers. My biggest pet peeve from my last few cruises on princess was the inconsistency of the drinks. what i mean by that is ordering a drink and loving it ordering the same thing again and it tastes completely different. my first drink at the sunset bar was delish but after tasting my sisters drink i decided the second one should be a lime daquiri. Ugggghhh it tasted nothing like the drink that she had. fortunately i had purchased the ulitmate drink package so i just got another. im sure they would have fixed it anyway but with the package i didnt hav toworry about it.

we made our way to our inside cabin 8248 which is positioned differently that most other insides and was a great location and the configuration of the cabine gave us extra space. overall the cabin was great until the last night which i will explain later. our room steward, while very nice did not clean the cabin well. the small backsplash was covered in old toothpast, the toilet seat needed to be cleaned better but no biggie, i just took a cloth and wiped it down. Not going to let that dampen my spirits.

we had early dining and i have to say the pretty much every meal was really good although the lobster tails on 2nd formal night were not the best i ever had. Im glad we chose to eat in the dining room because the meals at dinner in the buffet were awful in my opinion. More than a few times i would select something only to find out it was terribly spicey but it did not indicate in anyway that it was. for example there was white rice with vegggies and i would not expect that to be spicey but it burned the mouth off me. Ate in the buffet for dinner twice and basically left hungry because we couldnt eat the food. im not a picky eater just found that everything was cold even if we waited for a fresh batch of something. breakfast was just okay. Lunch was better but i found that they closed the buffet earlier that noted in the dailies. that was frustrating.

the pool area was great, not sure i get the need for 1 of the pools to be 3 feet deep but no biggie. didnt usually have trouble finding a chair.

the nightlife....... what nightlife??? this is where i was really disappointed. I had read good and bad reviews on this but kept my hopes up. more often than not the ship was dead by 10:30. there was a small crowd that was around after that time but not often. I enjoyed quasar although i found the layout to be awkward. this is funny, one night it was 80's night so we were dancing with about a dozen others. by 11pm we were the only ones left so we request the dj play "celebration", one of my favs. He replied that it was not from the 80's. Im pretty sure it is I tell him but he refuses. Are you kidding me, there was NOBODY else there. even if it wasnt from the 80's what would it hurt to play it for the only 2 people dancing. Whatever. we asked for another song which he played and then i guess he found a song he liked and he played it 3 times in the next 20 minutes. At that point we left, frustrated. by the way, Celebration was from 1981:D.

The comedian was good but the production shows were pretty lame and we left early. That would have been fine there way anything else to do but there usually wasnt.

we went to the sky lounge t watch newlywed game but the layout of that room is not suited to that type of event. its a great room for sure and is great for dancng but they only ever had the steel drum band which was brutal or the pool band playing there and we were looking for more of a disco type music.

we didnt care to see a violinist play for 2 hours and when they had thing lik dance classes they were in the centre atrium area. it was too crowded and tons of people watching which put me off. im a little shy i guess.

The last night we returned to our cabin to find a really strong smell of what we thought was paint. we could smell it in the hallway as well. we asked a steward and he didnt have any idea what it was. we called the desk to ask about it and after being left on hold we were told someone would call back. we both had a headache within minutes and waited patiently and nobody called. we called again and they said a manager would come up to see what the problem was. guess what, nobody came. now, we are very tired, major headache, my eyees were burning and watery so we called again. please note it was around midnight. they said they sent someone up and we didnt answer the door. seriously, our door was open waiting for the manager. someone will call you back they said. no one called. hubby went down and they said manage will call right away. woohoo the manager finally called and said the they were doing maintenance on the air conditioning system for some of the cabins and that it was necessary for it to be done and that we were not the only ones affected. Seriously????? thats it?????? couldnt maintence be done at a time OTHER than after 10pm on the final night of a cruise. the whole process from our first call to actually speaking to someone took over 2 hours.

I know i had a ton of complaints but we did have fun, hell we were on a cruise who wouldnt have fun but that doesnt mean the I was satisfied with Celebrity. I am in my mid 40's so maybe celebrity wasnt the best choice but we made the best of it and came home rested and ready for reality. I would not suggest celebrity for anyone looking to stay up past 10pm and be entertained. i may consider celebrity again but not for a long while.

Oh dear - that is not good at all. You sound a very patient passenger who has been let down. We are booked for Equinox in Sept and I really hope things have improved by the time we go.

Thanks for your review. Sounds like you were onboard a couple of cruises before us. Interesting to hear that embarkation was long, even back then, and Celebrity didn't warn us. I understand that, since our 2-3 hour delay in boarding that they have been sending out e-mails, notifying embarking passengers to arrive at Port Everglades later in the afternoon.

Thanks for the review. Sorry some parts of it were disappointing. We were on the Equinox on the cruise right before yours (disembarked 2/22) and had a completely different time! Walked right on and waited about 15 minutes in the waiting area.

I agree about all the action going on in the middle of the atrium. I would have love to partake in the zumba class, but not in front of everyone! We only ate in the MDR for dinner and the buffet for breakfast & lunch. We thought it was all outstanding. After 2 cruises, I skipped the lobster tails - too dry.

Night life is minimal. The martini bar hops, though. We spent a lot of time there. We did retire early each night. We either had to get up early the next day for an excursion or got up early that morning to go on one.

The ship is lovely - give it another go!!

Thanks for the review. Sorry some parts of it were disappointing. We were on the Equinox on the cruise right before yours (disembarked 2/22) and had a completely different time! Walked right on and waited about 15 minutes in the waiting area.

I agree about all the action going on in the middle of the atrium. I would have love to partake in the zumba class, but not in front of everyone! We only ate in the MDR for dinner and the buffet for breakfast & lunch. We thought it was all outstanding. After 2 cruises, I skipped the lobster tails - too dry.

Night life is minimal. The martini bar hops, though. We spent a lot of time there. We did retire early each night. We either had to get up early the next day for an excursion or got up early that morning to go on one.

The ship is lovely - give it another go!!

I loved the martini bar, this is where we spent alot of time. two great bartenders in particular. we could never remember their names so in a bit of a slightly drunken state we decided to call them John and Don. They didnt mind they were great . i may try it again but not until im older or unless i'm doing a port intensive trip with lots of planned excursions

Oh dear - that is not good at all. You sound a very patient passenger who has been let down. We are booked for Equinox in Sept and I really hope things have improved by the time we go.

SORRY TO SAY THAT WE WERE ON THE EQUINOX IN 2009 and it was boring back then also and that is why we have not returned. If you drink a ton they have plenty of bars.

I'm sorry you had some disappointments, but I love your attitude which comes through in the last paragraph. You're on a cruise so you make the best of it.

The worst would have been that last night with the a/c - that's just bad planning!

I'm on the Equinox tonight, and will be for the next 30 days.

I agree with much of your review. The nightlife is a reflection of the passengers. The martini bar stays active until around midnight, then it's dead. It also depends on the itinerary. If passengers are planning to go on excursions early, they aren't going to stay up late drinking and dancing.

The younger the crowd, the more active the later evenings are....

Did you notice that Equinox had the most beautiful public bathrooms? We thought the ship was so elegant and beautiful!:)

Did you notice that Equinox had the most beautiful public bathrooms? We thought the ship was so elegant and beautiful!:)

Yes, absolutely beautiful. I'd say the only negatives are the nightlife and entertainment geared to an older crowd, but it's expected. I love every other part though. :)