Cruise Critic Community
Kevnzworld

Equinox 4/5-4/15, thoughts and observations

This is a highlight review with random observations from the Caribbean leg of my 37 night spring cruise on the Equinox.

We received the boarding delay email prior to our Friday embarkation from terminal 18 in Ft Lauderdale . Fortunately our boarding was smooth and not delayed in the least. We were on board 20 minutes after our Taxi drop off. We stayed at the hotel Il Lugano the night before. It's a modern all suite hotel and I highly recommend it.

The Oceanview cafe is a madhouse on embarkation day, and this time was no different. It was difficult to find anywhere to sit, and the ship was only half full at the time.

We checked into our sky suite as soon as it was ready. This is my first cruise in a suite.

The thought was that since my GF was joining me on this cruise, the extra room would be nice, as well as having access to Blu. The suite was well worth the extra money given the extra closet space and larger room and balcony . I'm not sure what the butlers job is other than say hi and bring fruit but he was nice. ( Joey )

We never experienced much of a delay eating in Blu, even with the line to get in. We liked the food for the most part. The service seemed slower than what I've experienced on previous cruises, but still good. I may be wrong, but Blu seemed understaffed. There was a disconnect between the sommelier and the waiter when it came to coordinating the wine and dinner service. We were often asked what we wanted to order for dinner before anyone asked us if we wanted a glass of wine. The waiters should be able to get wine by the glass, or pour from your bottle without waiting for help from the overworked sommelier . One evening she poured me a glass from the wrong bottle. The same issue occurred frequently with the coffee service. Sometimes we were finished with dessert before the coffee even arrived at the table.

We ate in all three specialty restaurants once. First up was Tuscan grill. I ordered the tuna. I've had it before, and I've learned to ask for it medium rare and sliced thin. Ironically given the many discussions on the CC board, we noticed that the music was a little loud and somewhat inappropriate for the venue. They must have read my mind, because ten minutes later on came Volare, at a lower volume. Tuscan grill is my favorite specialty restaurant.

Second up was Murano. We ate there with another couple we met. They complained about the slow wine service in the Tuscan grill. It seems like I'm not the only one noticing this.

The food was good, as it generally is in Murano. I ordered the duck,sliced thin. My GF, the filet. The service was wonderful and attentive and the vibe is great.

Lastly, Silk Harvest. I have never been a fan, and this visit didn't change my mind. Heavy oily, under flavored, poorly executed Asian inspired food. Please replace this restaurant with Qsine!

The pool was active and fun the entire cruise. It was easier to get lounge chairs on days we were in port obviously but it was ok on the sea days too as long as you reserved your spot by 9:00 am. I liked the rotating musical performances , it kept the atmosphere lively.

I did a two week Caribbean cruise in January, so some of the islands were recent repeats for me. This was my GF 's first trip to the Caribbean.

The first port was St Thomas, we did a three hour highlight tour. It was lame, and the worst excursion I've ever taken. It was a souvineer shop tour.. We made a 45 minute stop at one store...Awful. I don't know why Celebrity offers stuff like this...no wonder I'm hesitant to book their tours!

On St Kitts we did a zip line tour. It was my GF's first and it was short but fun.

Dominica was the highlight of this cruise. It is a lush, beautiful island that for the most part hasn't been ruined by tourism. We did a tour arranged through the roll call with Reyno tours. Crisca, our tour guide was great. I can't recommend them enough.

We did a ship arranged catamaran sail /snorkel trip on Barbados, and it was fun.

Lastly a few other things I noticed. We had a sail away from one island at 3:00. Every tour returned to the ship at 2:00. The Oceanview cafe was packed, standing room only, no seats. They preceded to shut everything down at 2:30, with half the people not yet having had a chance to eat. Why? Open later, bring more food, whatever. It makes you wonder who's in charge sometimes.

It was formal night on the next to the last night of the cruise. This means lobster. We had it in Blu, prepared with a butter tangerine sauce. I should have known better than ordering it, not good, probably the worst dish on the cruise. . Order something else.

The Martini bar was our favorite place for a drink, and the music was good and NOT too loud.

The show " The Equinox " is entertaining and well worth your time.

Unfortunately my GF has to head back to LA to work, but I'm staying on the ship for the following transatlantic cruise.

We enjoyed the ship and the cruise a lot. The problems were minor and didn't detract too much from our cruise.

My GF gave it an overall score of 8 out of 10.

Edited by Kevnzworld

So you guys had a beverage package? You say the wine service was slow. Which by the glass wine definitely has the reputation for the potential for problems. How was the actual wine? which ones did you pick?

Thanks for the highlights.

So you guys had a beverage package? You say the wine service was slow. Which by the glass wine definitely has the reputation for the potential for problems. How was the actual wine? which ones did you pick?

Thanks for the highlights.

We ordered wine by the bottle.. I'm not a fan of the wines by the glass except at Cellar Masters. I didn't buy the beverage package.

Sometimes we would order a glass of wine at dinner that wasn't what we ordered by the bottle.

Thanks for posting your thoughts. I enjoyed reading them. What were the cover charges for the specialty restaurants?

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

Good review. I think they have cut sommeliers in all dining rooms on the ships...we had the same issues on the millennium. Strange since wine is a big profit maker and the more you drink, the more they make.

thanks for the Review. makes me go back and review my Personal vides more and more.

Not a drinker so that is a plus for me.:)

Agree Lobster not the bestest dish on the ship, wonder if they are farm raised?

Edited by fishycomics

Thanks for posting your thoughts. I enjoyed reading them. What were the cover charges for the specialty restaurants?

Bob

I bought a package of 3 for the two of us , $170

Nice job on the review we were on the same trip 3 weeks ago loved it we were very surprised how nice Dominka was

Enjoy the transatlantic 7 days on the sea very relaxing maybe some day just dont like the long flight back

Ciao Ciao for now

I bought a package of 3 for the two of us , $170

Wow....this works out to $57.xx per meal for both of you....

Seeing the standard per person charge is $45.00/meal, this is a fantastic deal !!!

Or am I getting this wrong ?:eek:

Tks for your review.

Cheers

Seeing the standard per person charge is $45.00/meal, this is a fantastic deal !!!

Tks for your review.

Cheers

Not all restaurants have a $45 service fee. Here is more info on the packages

http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/Flyers/11024491_CEL_SpecialtyDiningPck_Flyer2.pdf

Tks for your review.

Cheers

I used an elite coupon which reduced the price by $ 15. If I remember correctly.

I used an elite coupon which reduced the price by $ 15. If I remember correctly.

Hey Kevin, glad you and your girlfriend enjoyed the first part of the cruise. Are you on the ship now? Enjoy the next leg and keep us posted...... I hope your wine service improves....but sounds like you are having a great time!!!!!

We were on the same cruise and waiting at fll airport to get home.

Staff was exceptional and we only did the Tuscan Grill and I thought that the MDR was much better so I would save the money. We had the drink package and my husband's glass never went empty.

I agree with Kevin about the buffet at embarking, not a seat at all so we just skipped it and just had a few drinks.

Great cruise and great staff.

Thanks for your great review -- she is a beautiful ship!

I'm confused about one thing though. You mentioned being in a sky suite, so didn't you get two complimentary meals (for two) in the specialty restaurant(s) of your choice? :confused:

Edited by wwcruisers

Thanks for your great review -- she is a beautiful ship!

I'm confused about one thing though. You mentioned being in a sky suite, so didn't you get two complimentary meals (for two) in the specialty restaurant(s) of your choice? :confused:

Hmmm. Nobody mentioned that or offered it. Being that I'm still on the ship, I'll look into it. Thanks!

Hmmm. Nobody mentioned that or offered it. Being that I'm still on the ship, I'll look into it. Thanks!

For cruises of 8 nights or more you get 2 complimentary dinners for 2 people in specialty restaurants. Seven nights or less you get 1 complimentary dinner for 2.

I enjoyed reading your thoughts about Equinox. Richard and I are booked on this same itinerary for Jan 2014.