So Upset with Carnival right now!

misstopgun

OP, I'm on your side. Good luck to you, and I hope to hear that you got this resolved. Those costs are not unreasonable and should be reimbursed. I can't even begin to imagine the disappointment of having your vacation canceled, especially a special trip like yours with your sisters. Hope you have a blast on RCI.

Good Lord! I live in Houston and had no idea it cost so much to get to the port from the airport! I always drive. I think I need to start a service to take people to the ports for cruises!

You and me both. I need to offer the services on my Mondays off and on Saturdays. LOL

Just curious what it costs to park.

I've always wondered if I could make an income taking people to the pier in NY and home, with parking at something like $35 a day, but I hate to drive.

I've only cruised out of Galveston twice; my first cruise (and I left my car at my friends house and her mom paid for parking) and the 2nd time I think it was $7 or $8 per day.

Problem is the car rental agencies in Galveston are not open on Sundays. the day the OP was due to disembark the ship.

Yep, all these people who talk about what they did at some other port.. so that's what the OP could have done .. .. are just talking from nonexperience with Galveston port.

I pointed out the same thing on page 1. People dont read and just spout off.

Hopefully by now the OP got this resolved.

That is exactly what I was thinking.

So how do you explain $50 back when that isnt the amount pp either.

I dont think that explains it at all. someone maybe contacted the driver who usually has a $50 cancel policy perhaps .. (except this time he gave a discount for a nonrefundable amount).

thats my guess, but we dont know how carnival came up with $50 when its not the amount one way or two ways.

I have to disagree. Keep in mind that was $375 total for 5 people. That's only $75 per person.

To the OP- definitely call once they are open tomorrow. If they are unable to help you maybe each of your sisters could submit a request individually? Maybe they are only reimbursing you for a single person rather than the group?

~Katy

Actually its not unreasonable. For one thing, the rental car places in Galveston are not open on Sunday.

Galveston is one of the most expensive ports to fly into because of the cost to get from the airport to the port.

I dont know how many times you have done it.. but that cost is not unreasonable. I know a solo guy who paid $100 each way and thought he got a great deal.

Maybe Carnival away in Miami is like you and not aware of the costs to get to the port from the airport.

OP I know someone who had to fight like heck to get SWs flights remimbursed.. they finally got 100% of the cost of the flights, even though at first Carnival said that the credit was good for one year, so the answer was no. Go up the ladder. I would not accept no for a answer on this.

I live in Texas, so maybe thats why Im more aware of the cost of getting from the airport to the port.. I cruised a lot out of Galveston. I heard people complain about the cost to get to the port from the airport and hear what they had to pay.

Hello:rolleyes:...cruise cancelled....all out of pocket expenses should be covered, travel insurance or not. WTH people, is Carnival to be held blameless for every inconvenience a traveler has to put up with? There have been so many excuses for the past few horrible voyages.......here is another one. Why, why do you keep on supporting Carnival? I cruise mostly Celebrity and RCCL but would never defend them from this horrible customer support.

That is exactly what I was thinking.

Hello, my friend!! :)

Initially that was my immediate thought as well, but I chose not to post a reply (as I felt personal opinions were not being solicited).

Then I backed the refund process up mentally, and realized if I was the person who booked the sailing for all occupants on my own credit card, and Carnival were to advise that I needed to supply them a refund form of credit for passengers 2, 3, and/or 4, because refunds were being handled individually (person-by-person) . . . I'd be truly bothered by that.

"Hey, wait, I paid for everything myself". :eek:

I mentally substituted the five adults with one adult and four immediate family members, and tried to think of it that way. It changed my outlook.

This is truly a tough one, but I personally think if the original poster has a receipt in their name . . . CCL is morally (albeit not legally) challenged to "pony up" what they offered in their online and physical communication to all affected passengers.

As someone else posted earlier, if the Miami corporate office had the same skill level as their ultra-superb onboard crew, when it comes to guest service, this would pretty much be a non-issue.

Might help explain why a few of the lines falling under the Carnival Corporation umbrella have sought guest service training from their competition in years past. (Ooooo, yes, I did just "go there") ;)

((Hugs)) to you, Halos!! :D

Thanks firefly. I really enjoy reading your posts!

Yep, all these people who talk about what they did at some other port.. so that's what the OP could have done .. .. are just talking from nonexperience with Galveston port.

I pointed out the same thing on page 1. People dont read and just spout off.

Hopefully by now the OP got this resolved.

send me $400 and I'll send you back $50 and let's see how you like being out of pocket through no fault of your own !!

some of the comments on here are so inconsiderate. I understood this to be a forum where people could share experiences and get guidance or assistance.....obviously there are some who no matter what just have their own agenda and don't give a toss about helping others.....to those I wish they'd just leave as the good posters may get fed up with their constant bitching and go.....leaving the rest of us with the dross posters who do nothing but spout crap all day

the OP came here for some help and support, not a knife in the back so if you have nothing constructive to say then please refrain from posting

Ha, you're feeling the butthurt too.

Just calls 'em as I sees 'em.

Have a nice day.

Wow, this is a lot of butthurt over 400 bucks (split five ways?) Think I would just take the 50 or whatever and try again next time. Not the end of the world.

You must have missed the part where I said I had already refunded everyone else. As a matter of fact, two had not paid me yet and my other sister and I just exchanged limo expense for cost of hotel. I paid the full amount. I refunded the one that did pay.

Regardless the rest was on me, and also as mentioned, the money won't make or break me, it's the principle.

It may be that Carnival is expecting each of the 5 members of the OPs party to file her own claim for the proportionate share of the limo cost. I didn't see where the OP might have considered this. I would agree that, arguably, it should not be the point. But it may be easier for each of the other 4 sisters to submit a copy of the contract and get a reimbursement. I agree also that the limo option is reasonable. When we flew into Houston for our last cruise out of Galveston, we booked a Town Car. I think we paid $160 including tip, one way. I actually wanted to get a limo, but I couldn't find any company that was willing to do it for what I thought was a reasonable price compared to the quote I had for the Town Car.

While it may be annoying, I don't think you can be anything more than annoyed at the limo company. They're in business to make money and I take it the terms of the agreement were clear and acceptable to you when you first entered into the agreement. They are only doing what they promised to do. That said, I would post something here and on the relevant port board naming the company and describing the situation so that future customers will be aware that they're not flexible on that issue.

As for the whole situation, this is one reason why cruises are not my favorite form of vacation. If the cruise ship breaks down, they won't give you a substitute, they just give you some of your money back. If I'm starting a regular vacation and the plane has mechanical issues before I get there, the airline gets another plane. I don't need to know how they do it and I don't care. They are obligated to get me from point A to point B even if it means putting me on a competitor's flight. Imagine you're at the airport for your trip to Hawaii and they say "sorry, the plane isn't working. Here is your refund. Have a nice day". Similarly, if the weather is bad and you have to miss a port, they're not obligated to provide a comparable port or provide meaningful compensation. They can pretty much get away with whatever they want at their own discretion.

I submitted the contracts which stated it was non refundable due to a reduced cost. These contracts were in my name only, no other passengers listed and it was obvious from the invoice portion of the contract that the expense was paid with one credit card. MINE!

I accepted the terms of the contract from the limo prior to the Triumph having any issues. I knew that if I for some reason had to cancel, my insurance would cover it.

I didn't cancel, Carnival canceled, and in the apology letter stated they would pay any non refundable expenses related to the cruise. It isn't the insurance companies problem. It is the cruise lines problem. they canceled, I didn't. Why should insurance rates continue to rise for others because of a condition not created by the insured?

We had 7 cabins booked on Triumph. We got canceled and 4 cabins re-booked for Magic a day earlier. We had to pay more money for the 7 night cruise. Our pre-night hotel rooms, which were originally going to be $99 for a Sunday arrival, are now $199 for a Saturday arrival. (4 Rooms).

Our mini van rentals to drive to Galveston were going to be for a 5 day cruise. Now they are for a 7 day. The car rental counter is closed on Sunday, when we return, and also closed on Monday, (Memorial Day). This incurs an additional $335 per vehicle. We have 2 of them rented. So, not counting the added expense for the longer cruise, we are out another $1070.00.

We also were offered $50 per cabin for reimbursement. I sent my original invoices and the new ones. But this is what were getting. $200. Like it, or lump it.:o

If that's the best they can do with my cruise history with them, I will definatly "lump" it. So sad that a diamond cruiser would be so disgusted that they switch, but you know what, I am a little bit elated that Carnival didn't have anything available with ports I wanted to visit on the week I had to sail. I am going to experience a new line, with new shows, with a new menu and dining options.

You would think that Carnival would want to avoid loyal guests from experiences that may exceed their own brand wouldn't you? It's less than $400 for crying out loud. As a diamond cruiser, I have spent a minimum of $150,000 counting both cruise fare and S&S. (That doesn't count airfare, hotels, and transport cost but that doesn't hit their bottom line so I am sure they won't care) We average $6,000 each cruise. This doesn't count those that we have brought with us on numerous cruises.

We will cruise. We will spend our money with someone. We have looked into our fall cruise but booking is on hold until I take the one coming up. I wonder just how much I will enjoy Royal.

Good Lord! I live in Houston and had no idea it cost so much to get to the port from the airport! I always drive. I think I need to start a service to take people to the ports for cruises!

OP, I hope you can get your money back. I agree that Carnival should pay for whatever mode of transportation you booked.

Just out of curiosity, why didn't you and your sisters just switch to a New Orleans departure?

The dates had to be exactly the same. One in our party was going on another trip the day after we debarked in Galveston which would have been the day we debarked in NO. Trust me, we looked. In addition Baby Sis couldn't come up with additional airfare. Her budget was already spent.

So here is the update. No update.

John Heald told me on his FB page yesterday "Leave this with me Leslie, I will make a call tomorrow to find out why...."

He may have made the call, but no one responded as of yet.

On a positive note, I also called my PVP yesterday and left a message. She did call and I told her the situation. When she heard I had contacted John she pretty much said if nothing happens soon then call back. She said John has far more pull than she does but if it isn't followed up on, call her back.

Thanks for everyone's support. I vented here because it is sometimes helpful to have a sounding board to know that I am not unreasonable or out of line. I can get on my bandwagon at times and I recognize that. Sometimes I am just looking for a reality check.

I work for the largest retail corporation in the world. I know what customer service is supposed to be. I know I can't impose my standards on any other company and I also know what kind of scams are out there are there that I may fall prey too in my line of work. I resent that I feel that the cruiseline is treating me like one of those type of customers after our history with them. There is so much more involved here than $375. Its a customer service issue. It's a doubting my integrity issue.

Now to be fair, maybe whoever decided that $100 was fair, for both trips to and from, because maybe others would try to claim an expense, both trip contracts were in my name only, and the invoicing showed it was paid by only one credit card. If this was the case, and I don't know that is is because the email gave me no explaination as to why they felt $50 per trip was appropriate, someone surely failed to look at what I sent to them and properly evaluate it. In my line of work, that is what we call pencil whipping. Once again, a poor customer service issue.

Round trip from IAH transfers from Carnival: 70.00 per passenger

Round trip from HOU transfers from Carnival: 90.00 per passenger

So: 5 passengers x 70.00 (round trip) = 350.00.

OP is not off base with non-refundable expenses.

Wow, this is a lot of butthurt over 400 bucks (split five ways?) Think I would just take the 50 or whatever and try again next time. Not the end of the world.

This is the kind of attitude that has made the watered down product we get now - you just give give give give again and again to these little nips and soon a giant bite has been taken from the quality we used to enjoy.

So here is the update. No update.

John Heald told me on his FB page yesterday "Leave this with me Leslie, I will make a call tomorrow to find out why...."

He may have made the call, but no one responded as of yet.

On a positive note, I also called my PVP yesterday and left a message. She did call and I told her the situation. When she heard I had contacted John she pretty much said if nothing happens soon then call back. She said John has far more pull than she does but if it isn't followed up on, call her back.

Thanks for everyone's support. I vented here because it is sometimes helpful to have a sounding board to know that I am not unreasonable or out of line. I can get on my bandwagon at times and I recognize that. Sometimes I am just looking for a reality check.

I work for the largest retail corporation in the world. I know what customer service is supposed to be. I know I can't impose my standards on any other company and I also know what kind of scams are out there are there that I may fall prey too in my line of work. I resent that I feel that the cruiseline is treating me like one of those type of customers after our history with them. There is so much more involved here than $375. Its a customer service issue. It's a doubting my integrity issue.

Now to be fair, maybe whoever decided that $100 was fair, for both trips to and from, because maybe others would try to claim an expense, both trip contracts were in my name only, and the invoicing showed it was paid by only one credit card. If this was the case, and I don't know that is is because the email gave me no explaination as to why they felt $50 per trip was appropriate, someone surely failed to look at what I sent to them and properly evaluate it. In my line of work, that is what we call pencil whipping. Once again, a poor customer service issue.

Hi,

All I can say is you are 100% correct. This is a CS issue and it is about the money. They made a promise, they deserved to make that promise, and now they need to honor that promise. I am flabbergasted that people would somehow defend Carnival in this instance. Statements that what they are giving you is reasonable are just asinine. You can feel confident in your position because you are right.

Might help explain why a few of the lines falling under the Carnival Corporation umbrella have sought guest service training from their competition in years past. (Ooooo, yes, I did just "go there") ;)

((Hugs)) to you, Halos!! :D

:D La La La La... :D ;)

Tom

agree 100% and unless Carnival have a very good explanation as to why they are only offering $50 I'd be taking it further.....they should honour their statement and keep customer's happy and likely to cruise with them again rather than annoy the hell out of them and make them look elsewhere

I agree, if it says "all non-reimbursable" then it should pay. It should not matter the price, yes it might be high, but if the passenger wanted to spend for the "fancy" ride in a limo, that was their choice, it also should not matter if it was one person or 5 people in the limo,

For Carnival to say we will only pay 50 each trip, (because it is the cost of transfers) would be the same as them saying "sorry you booked the top of the line suite, we are only reimbursing the price of an inside, because that is all you really needed to spend on this vacation".

Archived