Whiskey

toonhibby

Not a fan of scotch at all to be honest. Too "peaty" for my tastes.

I'll have most Irish except Paddy and I love most bourbons.

I used to think that until I took the time to learn about the different Whisky's and their varied flavours.

My favourite is The Macallan 18 yr old Sherry Cask. Unfortunately they have stopped making it. Good thing I picked up a few bottles cheap in Kotor last summer.

I am one of those that likes a lot of different Scotch's based on how I feel that day.

Out of town visiting mother-in-law and decided to to treat myself to something new. Juggler .. I remembered your post and tried Glengoyne --- very smooth and easy drink. Now on my list to buy every now and then.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Forums mobile app

• 7 months later...
Try glengoyne. No peat at all in their whisky.

Our summer hols are to Islay again, so plenty of whiskies to sample!

Following our trip I now have an extensive collection. One bottle from all 8 distilleries on Islay, each one not widely available, plus a Talisker as we went to Skye and a Jura from a day trip. I also sneeked in an Auchentoshan!

Lagavulin warehouse tour was an awesome couple of hours.

Following our trip I now have an extensive collection. One bottle from all 8 distilleries on Islay, each one not widely available, plus a Talisker as we went to Skye and a Jura from a day trip. I also sneeked in an Auchentoshan!

Lagavulin warehouse tour was an awesome couple of hours.

I will be around your abode in a few hours after I get there on the aeroplane LOL. Your collection sounds lubbly jubbly. My good stuff I got for Fathers Day (in Sept,) JW Double Black and Glenlivet has evaporated, strange that. Now I am down to JW Red Label, as a mixer with dry ginger or soda, a bit harsh straight or on the rocks.

When I fly on the those big flying machines, I like to ask (nicely) what is the best whisky you can serve me? Normally get something a little better than JW Red Label. All depends on which class one is flying of course.

Good health to you and all lovers of the 'Highland Nectar.' And the Irish Nectar too.

In DF stores and on BA, JW has come out with "Explorer's Club". The first one is called "Spice Route". I got one on BA and 2 in the DF at LAX. They had a deal where if you bought 2, it was 15% off on both!:D

Edited by Talisker92

In DF stores and on BA, JW has come out with "Explorer's Club". The first one is called "Spice Route". I got one on BA and 2 in the DF at LAX. They had a deal where if you bought 2, it was 15% off on both!:D

Are they in those plastic lightweight bottles you sometimes see at airports ? Ballantines does them. Good for carrying.

• 2 weeks later...

I got an e-mail from Highland Park about a whisky called Dark Expressions that was double matured in sherry casks. I swallowed hard and bought it- it was $83 US!

It was fantastic!!!

The problem I have is that one of my favorites Balvenie 21 yr port matured is about $250 US!!! I am totally priced out on that!

• 3 weeks later...

From the cover of “Whiskey Bible 2015” whiskey connoisseur Jim Murray

in his annual guide to more than 4,500 whiskeys released Monday, he ranked a Japanese single malt as No. 1.

Murray awarded “World Whiskey of the Year” to the Yamazaki Single Malt Sherry Cask 2013, giving it a score of 97.5 out of 100. He described it as a drink of “near incredible genius” with a taste “thick, dry, as rounded as a snooker ball.”

In the book, Murray touts its “nose of exquisite boldness and finish of ‘light, teasing spice.’”

The single malt sells for about $160 a bottle in the United States.

For the first time since the “Whiskey Bible” was first published in 2003, not a single top-five whiskey came from Scotland. Murray called it a “wake-up call” for Scottish distilleries, according to the Independent. Ouch. :o

Ron Taylor, a Scottish spirit judge who claims to be a “nonpartisan” drinker, told Time it’s no surprise a Japanese whiskey won. Japanese distillers regularly win whiskey competitions, even in Scotland.

He compared Japanese single malts to a Lexus: “beautifully crafted, no vibration, smooth, consistent and always pleasant.” Scottish whiskeys, on the other hand, are more like a Maserati: “They’ll knock you around and slap you around the face a little bit.” :eek:

Anyone tried the Yamazaki Single Malt Sherry Cask 2013?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/11/05/japan-beats-scotland-to-win-worlds-best-whiskey-title/

:cool:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

in his annual guide to more than 4,500 whiskeys released Monday, he ranked a Japanese single malt as No. 1.

Did Jim Murray actually name his book "Whiskey Bible 2015"? Anyone who actually knows anything a about a good dram would know that Scotch Whisky does not have an E in it only Irish Whiskey has an E in it. Whisky is very much all about personal taste ie some like their Whisky Peaty whilst others are all about the Cask they were laid down to age in others the water coming off of particular Hills. Try a really old Whisky 25 years plus from the Islands - smooth; warming hmmmm never ever a blended whisky!

Murray awarded “World Whiskey of the Year” to the Yamazaki Single Malt Sherry Cask 2013, giving it a score of 97.5 out of 100. He described it as a drink of “near incredible genius” with a taste “thick, dry, as rounded as a snooker ball.”

In the book, Murray touts its “nose of exquisite boldness and finish of ‘light, teasing spice.’”

The single malt sells for about $160 a bottle in the United States.

For the first time since the “Whiskey Bible” was first published in 2003, not a single top-five whiskey came from Scotland. Murray called it a “wake-up call” for Scottish distilleries, according to the Independent. Ouch.

Ron Taylor, a Scottish spirit judge who claims to be a “nonpartisan” drinker, told Time it’s no surprise a Japanese whiskey won. Japanese distillers regularly win whiskey competitions, even in Scotland.

He compared Japanese single malts to a Lexus: “beautifully crafted, no vibration, smooth, consistent and always pleasant.” Scottish whiskeys, on the other hand, are more like a Maserati: “They’ll knock you around and slap you around the face a little bit.”

Anyone tried the Yamazaki Single Malt Sherry Cask 2013?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/m...whiskey-title/

Did Jim Murray actually name his book "Whiskey Bible 2015"?

Anyone who actually knows anything a about a good dram would know that Scotch Whisky does not have an E in it only Irish Whiskey has an E in it.

Whisky is very much all about personal taste ie some like their Whisky Peaty whilst others are all about the Cask they were laid down to age in others the water coming off of particular Hills.

Try a really old Whisky 25 years plus from the Islands - smooth; warming hmmmm never ever a blended whisky!

No not at all Jim actually got it spot on.

jim-murray-s-whisky-bible-2014.jpg

It was the Washington Post writer, Gail Sullivan November 5, 2014 article that got it all arse about!

lol... cracked me up. :D

Click on the link below to read it. It is still there. :p

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/11/05/japan-beats-scotland-to-win-worlds-best-whiskey-title/

Cheers, here's mud in yer eye!

• 1 month later...

A few for you single malt fans to try are Balvenie Tun 1401 batch 8 (probably David Stewart's best to date) or if you can find a bottle try Penderyn Portwood 41. And for those that like their blends then give Whyte & Mackay's 30 year old a go or even Monkey Shoulder.

A few for you single malt fans to try are Balvenie Tun 1401 batch 8 (probably David Stewart's best to date) or if you can find a bottle try Penderyn Portwood 41.

And for those that like their blends then give Whyte & Mackay's 30 year old a go or even Monkey Shoulder.

monkey_shoulder_large_pic.jpg

$27.99 usa

Aud $44.99

Lol... got to love the blurbs they come up with;

"Some say it tastes just like riding bareback on the wild moors of Scotland with a flame haired maiden on Christmas morning.

Others agree it tastes like 007 wearing a tuxedo wetsuit." This is whisky to be enjoyed. :D

Will give a couple of those a run, thanks for the rec. :)

Cheers r

Monkey shoulder is actually very good despite not taking itself seriously. It's s blend of Glenfidich, Balvenie and Kininvie. The latter being very rare as a single malt which can be a safer bet than putting money in the bank of you don't drink it that is [emoji6]

• 2 weeks later...

My Grandad used to say " theres no such thing as a bad Whisky, just some are better than others".

That being said I think I would go for Ballentine 21yo for special occasions, and Johnnie Walker Black for most other times.