New Webcam ~ Port Bermuda

emmy

They will fire this cannon off again on Wednesday May 15 when the new

NCL Breakaway comes into port for the first time. Largest cruise ship for Bermuda

It was fun to watch this morning

920526_10151430177146693_409635058_o.jpg

Big day in Bermuda tomorrow as they welcome the new Norwegian Breakaway for the first time. Largest cruise ship to dock there...hopefully fingers crossed she will dock.:)

Should be some fanfare like canons being fired. Not sure the arrival time of Breakaway but early morning I would suspect.

http://www.portbermudawebcam.com

Big day in Bermuda tomorrow as they welcome the new Norwegian Breakaway for the first time. Largest cruise ship to dock there...hopefully fingers crossed she will dock.:)

Should be some fanfare like canons being fired. Not sure the arrival time of Breakaway but early morning I would suspect.

www.portbermudawebcam.com

I hope NCL let folks on board know that there will be cannon fire in the morning. I'm trying to imagine the review from someone being on board the Breakaway, looking out from their balcony as it docks, and suddenly they see a cannon being fired in their direction. ;)

Just looked at the webcam and see the Breakaway cruising up the channel. Will check her out in a bit when I drive in to work.

It's going to be crazy in Dockyard today! Hope they've got the transport sorted out or there will be some very unhappy passengers.

Good photos.

Keith

sharing them. Someone else took them. Just got up now to watch the grand entrance of Breakaway..and Summit too. I will be on Summit in August!

waiting for the canon salute :)

Good Morning:)

The first canon salute to welcome Norwegian Breakaway for the first time to Bermuda

This capture I did take :)

966368_10151435798851693_2000617399_o.jpg

Edited by emmy

Emmy, here are the two I managed to catch of the canons. Do you think they will do the re-enactment at 9:30?

Great shots...no pun intended lol did you manage to snip that first one off the webcam as you were viewing? good timing if you did

Do not know if they will re enact. Gotta keep watching I guess. They will have recorded the sail into the port and I would look for that later today

Edited by emmy

Great shots...no pun intended lol did you manage to snip that first one off the webcam as you were viewing? good timing if you did

Do not know if they will re enact. Gotta keep watching I guess. They will have recorded the sail into the port and I would look for that later today

They were both captured from this wonderful new webcam. The second picture was the second time they fired the canons and I wasn't expecting them to do it twice.

Canons just fired. Breakaway saluted by blowing her horn. Cool sight.

Saw it live this morning....great viewing!!!!.. kept checking on it during the day..quite a sight with both ships at the docks..

We were there on the May 5 on the NCL Dawn.... and had to tender..would not be fun with that big ship!!!!

Sharing an 18 minute video that PTZtv (Port Bermuda webcam) put together of Norwegian Breakaway`s first arrival to Bermuda on May 15 /13

Watch at for the canons being fired for her arrival at the 4 1/2 minute and 7 minute mark of the video

Thank you PTZtv :)

• 2 weeks later...
Celebrity Summit is about to sail away in about 15 minutes followed by

Norwegian Breakaway...great views :)

http://www.portbermudawebcam.com

It was interesting to see the route the Summit took. I thought the ships turned right leaving the Dockyard and sailed along the Bermuda coast -- then turned left when they got to St. George. But the Summit went straight out of the Dockyard. Then seemed to go through a narrow cut -- then turned right. Anyone know about this?

It was interesting to see the route the Summit took. I thought the ships turned right leaving the Dockyard and sailed along the Bermuda coast -- then turned left when they got to St. George. But the Summit went straight out of the Dockyard. Then seemed to go through a narrow cut -- then turned right. Anyone know about this?

We also watched the route that both ships took and were also wondering about the Summit's route.

Good Morning ~ I have watched the Summit and Breakaway and other ships sail away numerous times and they have always followed this route.

I like both of you iheartbda and Paul from Maryland do not know why. Maybe I can find out from one of the locals. :)

Good Morning ~ I have watched the Summit and Breakaway and other ships sail away numerous times and they have always followed this route.

I like both of you iheartbda and Paul from Maryland do not know why. Maybe I can find out from one of the locals. :)

We haven't sailed to Bermuda since 2008, but I remember the ship sailing right at St. George's then following the coast to the Dockyard. And leaving the same way.

The "cut" they sail through now seems like it might be man-made. I would love to hear any info you can find about this.

We haven't sailed to Bermuda since 2008, but I remember the ship sailing right at St. George's then following the coast to the Dockyard. And leaving the same way.

The "cut" they sail through now seems like it might be man-made. I would love to hear any info you can find about this.

This bit of information was shared on the FB page of this webcam by the dockmaster.

Many years ago during WW11 there were 2 main channels developed in Bermuda. The South channel & the North channel. Both of these are considered to be on the North side of the island or North shore. NOB which is, Naval Operating Base was built for fueling and stores of these war ships in WW11, which is in the Great Sound and can be seen on Google Earth. It is a large peninsula of 2 islands that were joined together. They had seaplane ramps, fueling docks, outdoor movie theater, stores etc etc, a complete city. So...there were 2 channels developed for this purpose. The South channel would take most ships of that era and the North channel was primarily for Submarines which had a deeper draft. The North channel is the preferred channel for the larger ships of today, and they more than likely cannot even transit the South channel.

This bit of information was shared on the FB page of this webcam by the dockmaster.

Many years ago during WW11 there were 2 main channels developed in Bermuda. The South channel & the North channel. Both of these are considered to be on the North side of the island or North shore. NOB which is, Naval Operating Base was built for fueling and stores of these war ships in WW11, which is in the Great Sound and can be seen on Google Earth. It is a large peninsula of 2 islands that were joined together. They had seaplane ramps, fueling docks, outdoor movie theater, stores etc etc, a complete city. So...there were 2 channels developed for this purpose. The South channel would take most ships of that era and the North channel was primarily for Submarines which had a deeper draft. The North channel is the preferred channel for the larger ships of today, and they more than likely cannot even transit the South channel.

Interesting! I found this on Wikipedia:

-----

Two islands at the western side of the Great Sound, Tucker's and Morgan's, were levelled, adding 36 acres (150,000*m2) to Bermuda's landmass, and creating a peninsula extending from the Main Island. The entire base measured 260 acres (1.1*km2). It was not long enough to allow a useful runway, but did have extensive tarmac and hangar areas. Large Martin flying boats could be pulled ashore for hangarage, and servicing. When the area was first occupied by the US Navy, it was titled the Naval Operating Base. Once the Naval Air Station was completed, the US Navy relocated its air operations to it from Darrell's Island. The base continued to be used for this purpose until 1965, when the last flying boats were withdrawn from service. US Navy P-2 Neptune landplanes, based at the USAF's Kindley Air Force Base, then took over the maritime patrol role. The US Navy took over Kindley AFB, entirely, in 1970, and it renamed it NAS Bermuda. The former Naval Air Station was redubbed the NAS Annex. It served primarily as a dock area for US Naval shipping, until the closure of all of the US bases at the end of the Cold War, in 1995.

-----

And here's a picture that I believe shows the location of the old Naval Observation Base (NOB) -- see the green arrow. Notice what looks like a man-made channel through the Great Sound to take one right to the NOB:

Bermuda%20NOB.png

Edited by Paul from Maryland