TRENITALIA - LEFRECCE Issues

vicb

Anyone else had trouble getting tickets booked? I made a reservation from Roma Termini to Civitaveccia on the LEFRECCE train. My credit card has been charged but I have not got the confirmation email notice despite using the retreival code numerous times to resend the email and to try sending it to different emails. Also sent an email to their site that handles complaints and there is no response. Also tried using the phone number for complaints that is listed on the internet but I keep getting a wrong number try dialing again. I will probably have to go to my credit card company and protest the charge but I am afraid to make another booking. Any suggestions.

• 2 weeks later...

I know exactly how you feel. I have a friend of mine who is a European expert do them for me for a $25 fee. Too many stories of this happening... I hope things get resolved.:eek: She books us first class with seat reservations.

Go back to the website and sign in. Look at your reservations - there is a place for you to print them. I can't on the site right now, but if you play with it, you'll find it. I had the same thing happen - I forgot to specify ticket type. But it was easy to retrieve and print.

vcib: I hope you get your issue resolved.

I can't even connect to their site... I get the homepage, but when I attempt to search - nothing. I get "this page not available". Can anyone link me directly to a schedule from Messina to Taormini, for May 27?

• 1 month later...

I am having the same problem and called Italy twice only to be directed to their voice mail. I left two messages and even contacted an outside vendor to see if they could help. No luck so far. Will continue to try and post the outcome when resolved.

This is the main reason why I use RailEurope whenever possible to book train travel. English, well organized website with a local TA assigned to you here at home if you have any problems after booking. Tix come in the mail to you before you leave.

and yes, I probably paid about $5 more per ticket..but seriously it was worth it.

of course all of this depends on your itin. I think this only applies to certain routes.

My question is why is anyone doing this when you can so easily get your ticket at the station? What a PITN!!

I'd never purchase them in advance to get from Rome to Civitavecchia, but on the other hand, I've saved a lot by taking advantage of reduced rates on Trenitalia several months ahead of my travel. For example, I was able to get a (second class) ticket on the fast FrecciArgento from Venice to Rome for 29 euro.

I'd never purchase them in advance to get from Rome to Civitavecchia, but on the other hand, I've saved a lot by taking advantage of reduced rates on Trenitalia several months ahead of my travel. For example, I was able to get a (second class) ticket on the fast FrecciArgento from Venice to Rome for 29 euro.

Absolutely--I get that! We bought our tickets ahead to get to Torino, too. But the OP is prepurchasing tix from Termini to Civitavecchia. I guess to get a reserved seat??

On another thread, the OP said he got it resolved...his email provider was automatically tagging any email from overseas as spam, so the confirmations from Trenitalia were just going into his spam folder instead of his inbox.

Geez have to agree with Cathy on this. We cannot think of any reason to go through the hassle (and extra cost) of pre-booking tickets on what are local or regional trains. These trains do not require (or even accept) reservations and you can get tickets at the station, out of vending machines, or even from most newsstands. And there are various type tickets such as the popular BIRG ticket (this includes round trip train to Rome plus all days use of the Metro and buses for only 12 Euros) that cannot normally be found online.

If you are planning on long range train trips on the faster trains (ICE, AVE, Eurostar, etc) then buying online does make some sense. But planning on using the more expensive Eurostar/LAFreece trains between Civitavecchia and Rome really make little sense for multiple reasons. Although these trains are faster, they really do not save you much time into Rome (often less then 15 min) and do not stop at all the stations (S. Pietro). In fact, if you were going to the Vatican then it can be faster to take the slower regional train to S, Pietro station rather than the higher speed train to Termini.

Another factor about the high speed LaFreece is that if going from Civitavecchia to Rome...these trains are coming from a very long distance before they get to Civitavecchia. We have seen folks waiting on the platform for their more expensive faster trains while we just jump on the next regional train (they run much more often). Those faster trains have a tendency to run quite late. And you cannot use the BIRG tickets with the high speed trains.

Hank

Archived