Anyone ever taken Princess drift snorkel tour?

travelgirl913

Looking to find out if anyone has taken the drift snorkel tour Princess offers on Tahaa? I heard with this one you get to go through the pass a few times and no one gets any coral cuts since they go in small groups compared to Bruno's tour.

They are both the same price and Princess ONLY takes you there though. But, if you get to do the drift a few times with a better guide I would be willing to do it with them.

we have done this trip, not through Princess but with the company that Princess uses - West Coast Charters. it is lots of fun, but don't even consider it if you aren't a strong swimmer. the current can be very strong and you can easily get cut on the coral, you move very swiftly through narrow passes in sometimes very shallow water. the group will be as big as the number of people that book the tour. we booked onshore directly since Princess only had one of thier boats booked, MUCH cheaper. we were a group of 6 plus Tony, the owner. My husband went through twice, once was enough for me. I would strongly suggest wearing gloves

Thanks for the information. I was trying to figure out who they used so that's great. I will look them up. I love booking without going through the ship as well.

What kind of gloves? Special diver's gloves? I guess they don't supply them then?

Also did this tour let you wear your flippers?

Thank you,

Judith

we have done this trip, not through Princess but with the company that Princess uses - West Coast Charters. it is lots of fun, but don't even consider it if you aren't a strong swimmer. the current can be very strong and you can easily get cut on the coral, you move very swiftly through narrow passes in sometimes very shallow water. the group will be as big as the number of people that book the tour. we booked onshore directly since Princess only had one of thier boats booked, MUCH cheaper. we were a group of 6 plus Tony, the owner. My husband went through twice, once was enough for me. I would strongly suggest wearing gloves

I called west coast charters, if you are on princess you must book through princess now they said.

if you can wait until you dock at Raiatea, you may be able to book them there. that is what we did this last time there. they probably won't know if they will have a boat available until the day you are there.

We used Bruno when we were there last year and have already booked him for our March 2006 cruise. There were 12 people on our boat, and only six of us did the drift snorkel -- it was amazing. I'm not a good swimmer, but I did fine. I wore a swim vest at all other times when snorkeling, but did not wear one in the coral gardens. I came out of the water with a gash on my knee. I believe that 3 of the six of us had a cut or scrape when we were thru. That said -- all of us absolutely loved it. When we go back next year I plan to wear gloves -- old, stretchy driving gloves that have the padding on the palm. I also plan to wear those stretchy knee guards -- maybe this time I will come out unscathed. The one thing I really like about Bruno is the wonderful underwater photos he takes of the folks on the tour. His photos really capture the beauty of the coral gardens.

Regardless of who you use, I'm sure you will love the coral gardens.

• 2 weeks later...

I love drift snorkeling but I wouldn't go with strangers whose skill levels I don't know. You don't need to be a strong swimmer, in fact trying to swim is a big mistake, but you need to be experienced and comfortable enough snorkeling to let the current take you. Six is too many for safe drift snorkel, unless all six are very experienced snorkelers and I doubt on a cruise ship excursions, that would be the case. You have no control when you are drifting in a strong current. Some fool will crowd you in the current where you have no control, and that means those nasty coral cuts.

if that current is very strong, which it was both times we went, you have to be strong enough to swim away from the coral or you could get cut up. I love the idea of knee pads. next time we go, I am hoping to find someone who will take us to a coral wall near the fish park. we went there the first time down, and could have spent the whole day there, the variety of fish was incredible.

I tend to get cold easily so I usually have a 1mm wetsuit when snorkeling. It not only keeps me warm but gives me protection from small stinging fish, plunktons and jelly fish. I haven't gotten cuts while drift snorkeling yet, but I tend to keep a healthy distance from them unless I'm in a calm water. Coral cuts are nasty because they are very slow to heal. Sea snakes tend to be in shallower waters in a pass. I've seen a few of them in a pass in islands east of Bali, beautiful creature, but you don't want to get anywhere near them. More deadly than rattle snakes I was told. Another reason to stay closer to the center of the current.

Can any of you help me with snorkeling questions. I am not an experienced snorkeler, and we will be on the Tahitian Princess in Sept. Since I have read alot about Bruno's tour, I thought I would book with him at Raiatea. I am not sure what drift snorkeling is, but if I go with Bruno, is that the only thing he has to offer. It sounds difficulet. Will there be easy snorkeling and then more difficult, or will I just have to skip everything. I mainly want to go with him to see the vanilla plantation, pearls, lunch, etc, plus maybe try some easy snorkeling. It sounded like a pleasant day, but from what I am reading here I am wondering if this would be a mistake. Any advise would be appreciated. Thank you,

we haven't done the trip with Bruno yet, but I believe that there are several opportunities to snorkel. You may not have any problems with the drift snorkel, we have just had very strong current both times we have gone.

Whether tide snorkeling is difficult or not depends on the tide. I've been to a spot in Indonesia where I rode on a raging current. It was exciting! When I went back to the same pass a couple of years later, it was just a very gentle slow current. I must have been there the first time when the tide was changing. On liveaboard snorkeling trips, I've seen the dive master and captain consulting tide chart carefully before taking us to drift snorkel spots. I haven't taken the trip with Bruno, but I doubt he'd take people he doesn't know well to a spot beginners can't handle. As long as you don't fight the current, you'll be fine. There should be a support boat following you. Just let yourself float. It's like riding a train and watching scenery change. It's a great experience.

no support boats at this location! you walk up to the opposite end of a motu from where the boats anchor, and "drift" back to the boats. very different than the drift snorkel on Huahine, which is a very gentle drift. Really, this location - which is next to Le Taaha resort- is very narrow and swift. Not to scare anyone away, it is very cool and exciting and beautiful, but this particular place really needs some strength behind the fins.

I had thought about using Bruno, but most of my group are not good swimmers or experienced snorkelers. I told Bruno that we were going to cancel and this was his response:

"i understand your position but it's not the truth.

I don't propose a drift snorkeling but a visit of coral garden.

I do a drift snorkeling with snorkelers having a good level to swim in the current after a walk until close the reef from where the ocean waves come in and feed the current with different power depending the days, sometime strong, sometime low . This is not a game for every one and i try each time to explain that but i am alone and some want to follow me, fearing to miss something...

Each one can enjoy but differently, i have also aboard a glass bottom gear to see coral and fishes close our dugout without swimming or walking first where the current is stronger near the reef.

The worst injury i saw these last months was a tall cruiser not very young, falling on the beach close the reef where coral is very sharp. Bad bad scare on his knees and hands ! , it was at the end of walk, just before snorkeling.

What can i do if he could not walk alone ?

I imagine the sound after that on your ship or on the forum ...

I repeat often that the most important danger of the coral garden is ourselves.

Since few days i have aboard a page to explain that, i joined it with this message.

The visit of coral garden is important but it's duration is 1 hour on 8 hours of the tour.

Sorry for my poor langage, i think that it is for one part in this problem of communication.

Yours, with or without excursion."

I hope this helps.

there really are, I think from reading the reply from Bruno that you will get to snorkel in places that are calm and easy to snorkel in, and I have a hunch that you will have an opportunity to snorkel at that amazing coral wall.

Thank you all for your help understanding this. I think I still might try Bruno's tour. Because I am not an experienced snorkeler, I will just need to be careful and not try to do more that I should. It sounds like there will be a beginner place for me to try snorkeling.

I feel experience snorkeler means you feel comfortable in the water and you know how to breath through a snorkel......on a dirft snorkle you cannot stop to adjust your equipment...so you better know what you are doing...:)

I think you'll be fine on Bruno's tour you'll know your limits and they won't make you do something you are uncomfortable with....we are doing just the drift snorkel through P....because I want to save energy to horseback ride in the PM....Remeber you might be getting more for your money but an 8 hour day is a long time out there in the sun................

Just let him know what you need, and he'll will take you to places that suit your needs. My daughter started snorkeling when she was seven on a boogy board pushed by the parents. It's perfectly safe if you use common sense. Just don't touch or step on coral. It'll kill them and the cuts are nasty. Have fun.

If you decide to go with Bruno, just be sure to tell him you want to be back on board ship before the "Children of Raiatea" program begins. He got us back in time to spare. The Children of Raiatea put on a fantastic floor show -- be sure to bring your camera!

I love drift snorkeling but I wouldn't go with strangers whose skill levels I don't know. You don't need to be a strong swimmer, in fact trying to swim is a big mistake, but you need to be experienced and comfortable enough snorkeling to let the current take you. Six is too many for safe drift snorkel, unless all six are very experienced snorkelers and I doubt on a cruise ship excursions, that would be the case. You have no control when you are drifting in a strong current. Some fool will crowd you in the current where you have no control, and that means those nasty coral cuts.

Simonv,

Is there anyone you recommend for a private drift snorkel then? The tour through princess takes 20 people. I have snorkeled for years and I am fine with the floating concept but am concered about getting cut following too many unexperienced people.

Thank you,

Judith

If you decide to go with Bruno, just be sure to tell him you want to be back on board ship before the "Children of Raiatea" program begins. He got us back in time to spare. The Children of Raiatea put on a fantastic floor show -- be sure to bring your camera!

What time is the Children of Raiatea Program on the ship? So you know what time Bruno's tour usually ends?

I have heard about the childrens show, and I do not want to miss it.

Archived