Regent Flights - with and without deviation

Travelcat2

Just an aside - really puzzled by Regent's flight arrangements/contract process. Less than 11 months from our HK - Bangkok cruise yet they can't provide access to business class flights with BA on the day we need to go. As they also have not yet got a contract with Cathay Pacific for April 2018 that is not an option.

Consequently, we are now having to book an extra night in HK - because they can access business class the day before ( and the day after!) we need to travel. It is just bizarre tbh.

I would be tempted to phone BA myself to confirm that. I too find it really hard to believe.

We have had similar challenges arranging flights to Singapore around the same time and have made the decision to spend an extra night there as a result as well. The Regent agent we spoke to suggested that there could well be better availability nearer the time (I assume BA releases only a limited number of seats in case they are able to sell them at full price later on?) We were dithering about whether to spend an extra night anyway, so felt this just made our minds up for us and didn't see it as an issue. But perhaps it's worth checking again nearer the time? I might add that we were being picky about the specific flight we had chosen :rolleyes:

Garyb, I'm sure BA will still have seats available, just not at the rate/price/terms agreed with Regent. Like booking air tickets on points, there's always limited availability on a specific flight.

Agree with Gilly. If you were to call BA, they would likely tell you that they have many seats available and would probably have no idea about Regent's contract with them. While it is a bit unusual to have no seats 10 months in advance, obviously it can happen.

We also fly BA out of Vancouver frequently but when flying to Asia use Cathay Pacific. Regent contracts. with them as well (as least they do from North America). Their planes, service and Business Class seats are excellent!

Regent and, according to our TA, other cruise-lines are having major issues with British Airways.

For a flight from Miami to Heathrow in April 2018, Regent have booked us onto a Lufthansa indirect flight via Frankfurt. To put us on a direct BA flight they want an extra £400 per person; you can imagine our reaction.

Mind you, with BA's ongoing global difficulties today, maybe Lufthansa is the better bet.

We read on Cruise Critic not too long ago that BA was "cutting back". Wondering if this could be related to the devaluation of the GBP. In any case, I want to chime in again regarding Lufthansa Airlines. IMO, it they have wonderful service and amazing food...... but, the seats remain uncomfortable (yes - talking about the new ones). For flights to and from Asia, I would pick Cathay Pacific (one of the highest rated airlines in the world) over Lufthansa.

I do recall when anyone "requesting" BA from North America had to pay a surcharge. The last 3-4 years we have been able to deviate and request them at no additional charge. The biggest reason we have backed off from BA is Heathrow. We used to love that airport and now find it a nightmare. Besides for losing our luggage twice, many flights are now arriving and departing from Terminal 3 rather than Terminal 5. Terminal 3 is one of the worst terminals that we have been to. In April (returning from Barcelona), my DH looked forward to picking up some candy at Heathrow. Lo and behold ....... no shops in terminal 3.

Having said all of that, I would pay to take BA, Cathay Pacific or Lufthansa over any U.S. based airline!

OK - this thread is starting to concern me as I only convinced my wife (who hates flying) that we are promised Business Class Flights which should be a lot better for her. Has anyone in a PH or above suite ever been put in economy because there were no Business Class Flights available? I have been assured by multiple TA's that it will be ok but I haven't seen anything in writing as of yet, just a Regent disclaimer which I was assured was Regent just covering themselves.

Heathrow & Gatwick airports are both open, but British Airways are not flying due to a global IT failure affecting all their flights from London and other airports.

Fixed now but it will take some time to clear the backlog.

Many very irate customers especially families trying to get away for school half-term break.

Edited by flossie009

BA are a complete shambles in my experience, never had a fault free journey with them & their on board service is borderline awful, without fail. The staff are generally disorganised and always unhappy too. They always run out of food in business class and the gap between meals service can be up to 8 hours! However, they do fly direct to more places than, pretty much, any other airline & that makes a massive difference for us.

The problem I've had lies with Regent in this case tho' - I can go on line and book business class on the day we want to fly, no bother. Regent just don't have access, despite being able to book a day either side. It is ludicrous tbh. Trouble is, if I book it test counts as "deviation' and Regent told us they won't do the transfers etc, it is crazy really.

As soon as Regent have a deal with Cathay, I'll swap over to them.

BA are a complete shambles in my experience, never had a fault free journey with them & their on board service is borderline awful, without fail. The staff are generally disorganised and always unhappy too. They always run out of food in business class and the gap between meals service can be up to 8 hours! However, they do fly direct to more places than, pretty much, any other airline & that makes a massive difference for us.

The problem I've had lies with Regent in this case tho' - I can go on line and book business class on the day we want to fly, no bother. Regent just don't have access, despite being able to book a day either side. It is ludicrous tbh. Trouble is, if I book it test counts as "deviation' and Regent told us they won't do the transfers etc, it is crazy really.

As soon as Regent have a deal with Cathay, I'll swap over to them.

I could really identify with some of your points. We like to sit upstairs on BA's 747-400 airplanes but they always run out of food choices. This is particularly maddening since it cost more money to book seats upstairs (note: when booking through Regent, they select seats and you able to change them).

I understand that there will usually be seats available but not "contracted seats" so Regent says that they are full. It is definitely frustrating.

Although Regent contracts with Cathay Pacific in North America, I'm not sure if there is a contract the U.K. We just booked Cathay Pacific Business Class flights ourselves (saved money over Regent's "included" fare) and didn't have to put up with paying money to book seats in advance and all of the other nonsense that we go through with BA when you book yourself. IMO, the Cathay Pacific's Lounge in Hong Kong is better than T5 at Heathrow (although we do like the lounges in T5). While we enjoy the "backwards" seats on BA since we face each other, the seats on Cathay Pacific are more comfortable.

IMO, BA needs to realign themselves with their competition as I think that they are falling way behind!

Interestingly, Heathrow and Gatwick have been closed this afternoon due to some sort of technical difficulties. .

This statement is completely untrue. Neither airport was closed.

With all due respect, you need to check your facts! http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/27/world/british-airways-computer-failure/

It would be useful if you would check your own 'facts' before wrongly accusing another CC member of supplying false information.

Isklaar is correct; neither Gatwick nor Heathrow were closed. BA had an IT failure and could not fly. All other airlines were operating in and out of all London airports.

See also my post 135 above

It would be useful if you would check your own 'facts' before wrongly accusing another CC member of supplying false information.

Isklaar is correct; neither Gatwick nor Heathrow were closed. BA had an IT failure and could not fly. All other airlines were operating in and out of all London airports.

See also my post 135 above

I stand corrected. The news we get here can be confusing. I always hesitate to blame a particular airline and tend to blame the airport (note: both of my lost luggage issues were due to the airport - not BA). In my long term experience with flying into and out of Heathrow, the airport was generally to blame. Obviously in this case, it was another BA problem. Still, I strongly agree with the poster that said that it is unusual to fly BA without having a problem and want to strongly add that anyone reading these posts avoid Heathrow if their flights are arriving and leaving out of Terminal 3!

So, I apologize to Isklaar and it is nice to know that Heathrow isn't quite was bad as many of us think it is.

I stand corrected. The news we get here can be confusing. I always hesitate to blame a particular airline and tend to blame the airport (note: both of my lost luggage issues were due to the airport - not BA). In my long term experience with flying into and out of Heathrow, the airport was generally to blame. Obviously in this case, it was another BA problem. Still, I strongly agree with the poster that said that it is unusual to fly BA without having a problem and want to strongly add that anyone reading these posts avoid Heathrow if their flights are arriving and leaving out of Terminal 3!

You may be wrongly criticising Heathrow Airport Ltd for your lost luggage issues. The baggage handling system at Heathrow Terminal 5 is owned, maintained and operated by British Airways, not Heathrow Airport.

Following the recent complete redevelopment of Heathrow Terminal 2, and the removal of Terminal 1, Terminal 3 is now the oldest terminal at Heathrow; 1961 with later additions and refurbishments.

We do not mind flying in or out of Terminal 3, but maybe it is a worse experience when you are in transit. Obviously the newer terminals are better.

This is particularly maddening since it cost more money to book seats upstairs (note: when booking through Regent, they select seats and you able to change them).

Regent UK do not pre-book seats with BA; if you want to select your seats prior to check-in you still have to pay BA (unless you are a Sapphire member of their Frequent Flyer Club)

IMO, BA needs to realign themselves with their competition as I think that they are falling way behind!

I agree. In particular, they are way behind their middle eastern competitors in terms of comfort and service.

Under their latest Chief Executive, British Airways has been ruthlessly cost cutting and reducing passenger services in order to compete with the low-cost airlines and to improve profits for BA's owners, IAG.

Rumours are that this weekends debacle was either caused, or made worse, by BA getting rid of all their own IT staff last year and outsourcing IT services to TATA in India. If this is the case then it was a costly mistake; over £200 million in direct costs plus the inevitable further loss in reputation.

I'm just sorry we are coming back from Bangkok with BA, as it is a direct flight.

If possible, I would never fly with them again - dreadful airline, poorly run business and appalling CEO, public relations and communication with customers. Oh, over priced and poor vfm too.

flossie, I think that it bears repeating that Regent bookings in the U.K. do not include assigned seats. One off the reason that we prefer booking BA thorough Regent (in the U.S.) is that owe get assigned seats. We promptly go into the BA website and change the seat to whatever is available (even the pricier seats upstairs).

Based on the information regarding Terminal 5, I can safely blame everything that has happened on BA! However, if we were flying non-stop from Vancouver too Heathrow, we would likely book BA since the other choice are worse.

flossie, I think that it bears repeating that Regent bookings in the U.K. do not include assigned seats. One off the reason that we prefer booking BA thorough Regent (in the U.S.) is that owe get assigned seats. We promptly go into the BA website and change the seat to whatever is available (even the pricier seats upstairs).

I was under the impression that the same applies to us in the UK just like a scheduled booking once confirmed.

I was under the impression that the same applies to us in the UK just like a scheduled booking once confirmed.

Not according to flossie009. Sometimes it gets quite confusing with the differences between the U.K. and U.S./Canada.

Yes, a booking through Regent UK with British Airways is the same as if you booked it direct........................and unfortunately with BA that means you have to pay BA extra to reserve specific seats in advance of check-in; even when travelling in Business Class.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/seating/reserving-your-seat

Although Regent UK can normally confirm your flight itinerary about 11 months before your cruise, they will not ticket the flight until after your final cruise payment. Only after the flight is ticketed can you reserve a seat.

Flossie, when we book our flight via Regent, we learn the booking reference immediately, which means we can go into the BA website at switch seats (we did exactly that last week, in fact, for our cruise next year). We are BA Silver, which means we don't have to pay to do that, but I wonder, if you asked Regent for the five or six character code, if you'd be able to do the same? Might be worth a try.

Flossie, when we book our flight via Regent, we learn the booking reference immediately, which means we can go into the BA website at switch seats (we did exactly that last week, in fact, for our cruise next year). We are BA Silver, which means we don't have to pay to do that, but I wonder, if you asked Regent for the five or six character code, if you'd be able to do the same? Might be worth a try.

That is exactly how we are able to change seats on BA. You always have to start with your Booking Reference #. BA pays no attention to our Executive Club status when Regent books our flights so this should not be a factor in terms of whether or not you can change the seats that Regent assigns.

Yes, we are BA Silver as well so no longer have to pay. Before we reached that status we did even for a BA flight booked through Regent.

We pointed out to Regent UK that they were treating their US and UK customers differently; they basically said "Tough", but in much nicer and wordier marketing speak ;)

PS: As far as I recall we were never able to reserve/change seats on a flight booked through Regent until after final payment even though we had the booking locator code. However, at present we have no future BA flights booked through Regent, so it may be that they have changed their policies within the last year.

Edited by flossie009