Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LauraS

*Pride of America Virtual Cruise - Starts Mon 6/20

I love the information on POAM, but can we get less of Regis, Kelly and the celebrities and more on the ship?

Don't mean to be critical, but the ship is the star of this cruise.

I love the information on POAM, but can we get less of Regis, Kelly and the celebrities and more on the ship?

Don't mean to be critical, but the ship is the star of this cruise.

I'm sure you'll get that on Wednesday with the ship being at sea for a day and no taping.

But I have to admit that the Pride of America virtual cruise is pretty riveting. Looking forward to seeing the next installment.

Hi, waiting patiently for any interior pics of the Pride of America other than what has already been posted in the past. Looking forward to it.

Will be sailing August 13 on this sweet new ship.

Tom

4 Cruisers

Thanks for offering to post pictures of this cabin! I'm really curious to see what it looks like, and my cruise is still so far away.

Happy cruising!

Margaret

You guys are the best -- thanks for the kind words on the virtual (riveting, eh?!), I'm having a wonderful time.

Since the cabins are occupied I unfortunately can't give much information on categories other than my own. I do agree, though, that the ship is as big a star as the celebs onboard. I have a lot of interior pictures, and will definitely post some here next week when I'm back in the office.

Cosmopolitan and Host Cecilia...I have met some fantastic people, and have lots of dining buddies now!

4 cruisers...I'll have to get back to you on your question, but I'll definitely do my best to find out!

Donna, the pools don't strike me as being much smaller than those on other ships this size, but I do very little swimming and sunbathing so maybe I'm not the right person to ask! :) I have not yet met the captain, but I'm hoping to before the week is through, and I'll keep you posted on that. I'll check out the kids' club for you, too -- I've talked to a few tykes who are all having fun, and I've seen the counselors around the ship, and they seem wonderful with the kids, very attentive.

I apologize in advance if I've missed anyone's questions. I will check in each day, so keep 'em coming!

Thanks Melissa! Will you be saving your Freestyle Dailies and posting them when you return? Are you going to have a spa treatment? Have you had to wait for dinner or has dinner taken a lot of time to finish? Are your room stewards around or do you have to search them out? Thanks again!

Melissa:

Your posts are so much better than the R & K shows! You make me feel like I'm actually onboard with you, and I can hardly wait for the next one! Terrific job. Thank you!

Adele

Thanks again to you Melissa! As you can see, we are hanging on your every word!!!

How much was the up-charge in the steakhouse? Wondering if it is maybe not worth the extra for a small steak? But the crab-cakes do sound wonderful!!!

Are you using your laptop? How are the charges?

If you don't get to these questions until your return, that'd be fine!!! I'd rather hear about your day!

:cool:

Thanks a million Melissa!

Sounds like Gold Rush Saloon will be an establishment I frequent:D ! How big is the "real big frosty mug of beer", and what's on tap there?

Lazy J sounds great, too. Any big Porthouse or NY Strips on the menu?

Thanks again!

Have you met the ship's captain--who is he? Is he from Norway?

The PoAM's Capt. was on R & K this morning. His name is Kjell (pronounced Shell) Nusheim, he is Norwegian.

Melissa,

Do you know (or can you find out) how many laps on the Premenade deck track equals a mile? Have to work off those big frosty beers each morning!:D

Hi Everyone and Thank You all of you who have sent information and pictures of POAM...Now I can hardly wait till September. It sure looks GREAT to me and it will soon be time for me to make my final payment and I will be thrilled that i am going to be on this ship.:) :)

Any suggestions for good inexpensive insurance?

Hi folks! I cannot believe my trip is almost over.

I’ve gathered up some answers to your recent questions.

Donna: I wasn’t able to get into the kids center yet (bummer!) but I’m trying. They have it closed during the day, and generally only the kids and counselors are allowed in, and the parents when they pick their kids up. I did pick up a kids crew flier though (2-5 year olds) and I can scan it in or send it to you when I return.

4 cruisers: Food and Beverage Manager is Adam Martindale with backup from Michael Landry. Hotel director: Scott Hanby. The captain is Kejll Nesheim from Norway.

The Internet is about what you’d pay on most new ships. Packages can help you save. Pay as you go is 75 cents a minute, or buy a package 250 minutes for $100 or a package of 100 minutes for $55. (There is a one-time connection fee of $3.95). Wireless access is available to laptop users in 80% of the public areas (and you can connect via Ethernet cable in the staterooms). My laptop goes everywhere with me!

bankofdad: 20 ounces! It is the best value on the ship, in my opinion; they had some wild karaoke there this afternoon, and they have darts, too. Heineken, Bud, Bud Light and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale are a few on-taps I can remember offhand.

The steakhouse has several cuts on the menu, including something called a “striphouse.” I am going to swing by there tonight on my way to dinner (Bistro again, yum) and I will ask them for more info on it. It is a $15 cover charge (the other two for-fee restaurants, East Meets West and Jefferson’s Bistro, are a $10 cover; Little Italy is no charge and sadly I didn’t make reservations there early enough, and now it’s booked solid.

I think 3 laps around the deck equals one mile, but I'll double check. Sneakers never got unpacked ;)

Host Cecelia: I have all of my Freestyle Dailies as well, and I can share when I get back! I had my haircut on Sunday morning, and it was a great experience. If you do get onboard, ask for Joseph from Seattle. He was a darling. He said he loves working on the ship because he gets to travel the world and do what he loves: “Make women feel beautiful.”

In the two main restaurants, I’ve been seated immediately and served fairly speedily. If you have a reservation, you get seated immediately (but the ship is half full so whether the same will apply in the future remains to be seen. Do make reservations early in the week though.

My cabin was always fine and I haven’t needed to contact my steward, but there are always a few milling about the halls who are friendly and willing to help.

I’ll be in transit tomorrow, but I’ll check in over the weekend!

Melissa

Hi Melissa,

I thought of a few more questions I hope you can help with.

Can you tell me if the balcony dividers can be opened up? Our family group has two adjoining balcony staterooms for our cruise on Pride of America, and we were crious about that.

Can you tell me if there are any soft serve ice cream stations on this ship? The chocoholics buffet is sure to be a hit with our group, but four of our group are ice cream addicts, too!

And lastly, does the Gold Rush Saloon have a bar-type (finger food) menu that you can order from?

Thanks again!

I too thank you Melissa! We're in 8516 and 8514 which is forward and also supposed to have the extra deep balconies. Donna, It looks like our room and balcony is the same size as yours will be only 3 decks below. I'll let you know how it is!

Margaret, I think we will be visiting one of those suites, and I will make sure to take pictures to post on webshots or sony imagestation. I'll let you know.

QUESTIONS FOR MELISSA! :) Who is the food and bev. manager and who is the hotel manager? Thanks again!

Hey there 4 cruisers. I'll be on the POAM in May '06 in cabin #8002. Since your cabin is on the same deck and the same size as mine, I am very interested in seeing pics of your cabin when you return from your cruise. :D

I'll make sure to check that cabin out! It is really just a few down from us, so no problem! I always take "cabin" pictures and usually put them on either webshots or image station. I'll let you know which one when we return! We too are really interested to see how those balconies are!!!

Looking forward to hear more from Melissa! I figure we might be able to see the ship going through the Panama Canal on Thursday. I'll post if I figure that out!

Thanks Bankofdad for keeping us up to date on this. Its been great reading the first reviews.

BTW - love the banner!! ;)