Jump to content

My Explorer of the Seas Review 18/04/2013


Recommended Posts

Well, what can I say? It was fab, brill, amazing!! So here I go with a few things.


I arrived in to Newark Airport on the Tuesday 16th April and stayed at the Doubletree by Hilton at the airport. The hotel was lovely (especially the warm chocolate chip cookie). If you head to P4 at the airport, all the hotel pickups are there.

I went to the Jersey Gardens Outlet Mall and then headed in to Manhatten 5th Ave to stock up on my Abercrombie and Fitch gear on the Wednesday. If you get your hotel pickup/dropoff to take you back to P4 at the airport, there is shuttle that takes you to the mall for $5 single or $9 return. Also, to get to Manhatten, do the same thing to get to P4, take the airtrain to the Newark airport railway station and get the NJ Transit to New York Penn Station. This cost me $25 return. Easy!

On the Thursday, I woke to see my ship on the CBS channel, backing her way in the dock. I started getting very excitied. Couldn't wait to get down there. I ordered a taxi for just after 10.30am. The traffic was very busy heading to the port. It cost me $55 including toll.


Check-In was easy. I waited in the Gold Member line and was at the front but the normal line was quicker. Didn't have to wait for the bus to the ship as they were there waiting. Hoped on and away we go. Only took about 30 secounds and I was off again. On to the gangway and heard the 'BONG' that everyone loves when they check your seapass.


I quickly went around the ship to take pictures before it got crowded.






Link to post
Share on other sites

Once I wondered around the ship I headed for the WindJammer. There was queue outside as it didn't open till 11.30am. (i didn't know this). It was 11.25 so only had a few minutes to wait. The 'Washy Washy' man was there.

Once I had something to eat and I headed outside to watch the ship go under the bridge. I will point out that it was freezing cold and gale force winds while standing at the front of the ship where the Heli pad is. I also had a look at the peek-a-boo bridge.


It got to 1.30pm and I decided to check out my room. I had a Promenade Room number 8591. It was a great room for myself. I was able to people watch.


Not sure what I did that evening but I did have dinner in the main dining room for My Time Dining.


I'm sorry guys, but I didn't take any pictures of menus or food. I'm too fussy with my food so my main objective was to find something that I like. :p






Link to post
Share on other sites

On the Friday 19th April, I had the 'Meet and Mingle' to attend at the Maharajas Lounge at 9.30am. Wasn't too chuffed to get up early on my Birthday but I did get to meet a few from the Roll Call.

I was very disappointed about how this was run and did complain about it. They held the raffle and by the time that was finished we only had about 15 minutes to actually 'Meet and Mingle'. We should of had a microphone passed around and be able to give our user name so everyone would know who you were. They do give you paper with your name on but nothing to pin it on. So unfortunately I missed a few and so did many other people.

I did get Happy Birthday sung to me. Thanks Jane!!


I had a Mimosa and headed for the casino. I (obviously) lost money on the slot machines and went to the pool area to listen to the band called the Spices. They were brill.

At 4pm I went down to Studio B to watch the ice skating which was called Spirits of the Season. And, as ever, they were brilliant.

I had dinner again in the dining room and again the food was lovely. Tonight was formal night and you get pictures taken with the Captain. I then went for my massage at 8pm, very relaxing and then chilled out for the rest of the evening in my cabin. I got a lovely surprise when I got back as there was a bottle of bubbly and a card from my stateroom attendant. He was the best.




Link to post
Share on other sites

Next day was Bermuda. What a gorgeous day. I did a 5 hour minibus tour with RCI and it was great. Well worth the money.

I have never seen seas like it. Mac, our driver, was very informative. We got to see very much every bit of the island.

We stopped for a hour to get some food and drink and I went to the oldest Anglican Church outside England dating 1612. It was very small.

We went back to the ship and set sail again for another sea day. While sailing out we had to be careful of the coral reefs out in the sea.


Went up to the pool to sunbathe for a bit and listen to the Spices again. Had my food in the Windjammer that evening.

I'll be honest, not sure what I did that evening. Probably lost money on the slot machines in the casino, again.










Link to post
Share on other sites

Sunday, 2nd day at sea, and another lovely warm day.


Went to a seminar about loosing fat fast. But be careful. I booked to see someone about how I could this and they give you a reading of your body fat and water and your metabolism. They don't really offer you advice of how to change yourself. I just drink water and cook everything myself. I exercise 5 days a week so there was nothing she could advise me on apart from ........ wait for it .......... algae. That's right, people, algae in capsules. And it will cost me $308 for a course for 3 months.

I was expecting a little bit of advice on how to tweek something, maybe. And I was willing to be charged $35 plus gratuity but not to spend $308 to do something.

I did complain and got my money back, but just warning you.


Anyway, back to it. I went to the pool for the afternoon and watched the World's Sexiest Man Competition. What a laugh. The cruise director, Leigh, and the activities manager, Chris, was like a double act. Chris has just been promoted but will be leaving the Explorer in a couple of weeks.


Had dinner in Johnny Rockets which was great. Had the BBQ chicken which was lovely.


Went to watch the production show in the theatre which was called Wild, Cool and Swinging. The were good but was killing a few songs that I like so I left after a few.


Late in the evening, a group called Glory Dayze where preforming on the Promenade. They are a 80's rock band that are being trialed for the Quantum of the Seas, which I was told by the captain, that she will be built by November 2014 and then will sail out of Cape Liberty early 2015. They where on every night but in different locations of the ship. I wasn't that keen but they had a good following.


Once they finished, about 11.30, I was able to get some kip.


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Ned! Enjoying your review. I am planning one of my own too but it is taking FOREVER to download the photos. That was great that your room attendant gave you champagne. I didn't even get a "happy birthday" from mine. Glad you got your money back for the "seminar". I went to a free one on Brilliance and all it ended up being was to sell their products.

Link to post
Share on other sites
And a few more.


Thank you for using thumbnails, it is much easier to view when looking through threads. It becomes overwhelming when people post full sized pictures and then others reply and repost all the pictures. Anyways, thank you for conserving BYTE space. :)



Link to post
Share on other sites

Monday 22nd April was St. Maarten day. I got a taxi to Maho Beach to watch the planes coming in over the beach to the runway directly after the road. It was amazing. There are two bars but the Sunset Bar and Grill is the far busier of the two. You will find this at the far end of the beach.

We arrived in to port at 12.30pm so there was only 3 big planes coming in. The beach was lovely and the water was warm. If you are interested in the planes coming in then go to that beach. But if you are after a beach (beach) then I would probably choose another.

I had a wonder round Philipsburg and then headed back for the ship.


Once back I went to the WindJammer to get a snack before heading to my cabin for a nap.


I had my dinner in the main dinning room and headed to the morning show. This is where Leigh and Chris do a show for morning TV and it's a hoot. They film it at 8.15pm and this could be anywhere on the promenade. If you get to see them filming it, you'll love it.


Tonight was the Love and Marriage game show and that was a laugh. There was a couple that had been married for nearly 63 years.


It was another early start the following day so off to bed I went.









Link to post
Share on other sites
Went to a seminar about loosing fat fast. But be careful. I booked to see someone about how I could this and they give you a reading of your body fat and water and your metabolism. They don't really offer you advice of how to change yourself. I just drink water and cook everything myself. I exercise 5 days a week so there was nothing she could advise me on apart from ........ wait for it .......... algae. That's right, people, algae in capsules


Interesting. Last fall I was exercising in the gym on a Princess ship and they were having a weight loss class nearby. Looked like a TV infomercial, so I listened in for a few minutes to hear what he was pitching. A lot of pretty interesting info about cells holding onto toxins, etc., but I wanted to hear his solution. You guessed it. Algae. So apparently this is happening on both RCI and Princess.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Tuesday 23rd April and I was up bright and early for my excursion which was the 2 hour tour of the Island. It took us up to the Mountain Top where you had the most wonderful view of the island.


When we got back to the port, I then wanted a taxi to Red Hook to get the ferry to Cruz Bay, St. John. I had seen on Cruise Critic about the Hook bracelet that the St. John Bracelet Company makes so I hoping to get there and purchase one. I had to wait for about half hour while his taxi filled up. It was a right pain in the a*!e but we got going once I said I'll go elsewhere.


Got on the ferry which only took about 20 minutes. It was picturesque coming in. I went to the shop and didn't have my size. He said he'd make it. I had lunch in the Tap Room as they had free WiFi. Went back just over a hour later and it was finished. Wearing it pride now. It's gorgeous.


Caught the ferry back and there are plenty of taxis to get you back and you generally there are plenty of people heading back to the ship.


Again, went to the Windjammer for a snack and went back to the cabin for a nap. Went to the Windjammer for dinner and then the recording of the morning show. Tonight's Headliner Show was ASAD who was a comedian hypnotist. It was funny.


After the show, it was back to the room as it was Puerto Rico and another early start.










Link to post
Share on other sites

First day back at work and training to run 10k in Manchester at the end of May so didn't have time this evening, but I promise to add more tomorrow.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wednesday 24th April and it was San Juan. We docked at 7am but because the Disney ship was coming in, we had to re-position. I had booked to do the Ports Tour and was to meet up on the harbour at 8.45.

Once the group met, the guide was trying to find the coach. Once this was found, we all jumped on only to be told that we had to wait for another group to join us. It was just after 9am when we set off.

To cut a long story short, we hardly saw any of the first one and didn't see all of the second. It was very rushed as we had to be back on the ship by 12.30pm and the guide was wanting us to have time to shop. This didn't happen. We finished at 12pm so we headed back to the ship.

Went to WindJammer for lunch and then get a good spot to watch the Belly Flop Competition. What a laugh that was.

Spent the day at the pool and then again a wee nap.

Had my dinner at the Johnny Rockets, which was lovely, once again.

Went to watch the Chris John as the Headliner Show. He was a singer impressionist and he was very good. Not really my thing but he was very good.

And then everyone out on the Royal Promenade for the 70's night. Leigh was dressed as Austin Powers and he looked and acted like him. Chris was dressed as the Indian in the Village People. He was rocking too.

That finished at around 11.45pm and then it was time for bed.











Link to post
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: American Queen Steamboat Company
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
  • Create New...