Comments on life vest

scapel

I thought it would be a good idea for the cabin attendant on cruises to instruct first time cruisers, one on one, in putting on the life jacket. For repeat passengers the cabin attendant should ask the passengers to put the life jacket on and be sure it fits and the equipment is in working order. The cabin attendant could then record this and it serve as a check of the equipment. I have been on 45 cruises and on one we hit another ship. It was a minor problem, but nevertheless things do happen.

Any comments or suggestions.

Are you then thinking this would replace the muster drill?:o

No, this would not replace the muster drill. That is required. The muster drill however is kind of a joke in that many people don't pay attention, many can't hear or see the demonstration and seeing a demonstration and actually being made to put on the life vest is different.

The muster drill needs to remain in place as is. It is how you practice to get to the place you need to be for organizing the life boats. Of course no one carries their life jackets to the drill any longer because people tripping over the ties was a problem.

Good suggestion.

On the cruise line we sail on we must put them on and wear them to the drill which is very helpful.

Keith

My last cruise on Celebrity we were not required to take or wear the life vest to the muster station. It is much safer to wear it to the drill than to carry it and I think wearing it to the drill was good in that it demonstrated that the individual knew how to put it on and it fit. Many passengers in the past have just carried it and were tripping themselves or others with straps.

I think you should have to put on your life vest. To be honest, on our last cruise they never came off the shelf in the closet - they were there, but I never even checked them. I think making you wear them (not carry them) to the muster drill would be the easiest way (it worked for years) but your idea would serve the purpose.

I thought it would be a good idea for the cabin attendant on cruises to instruct first time cruisers, one on one, in putting on the life jacket. For repeat passengers the cabin attendant should ask the passengers to put the life jacket on and be sure it fits and the equipment is in working order. The cabin attendant could then record this and it serve as a check of the equipment. I have been on 45 cruises and on one we hit another ship. It was a minor problem, but nevertheless things do happen.

Any comments or suggestions.

I think the cabin steward is already busy enough without adding this to his list of responsibilities.

The ship's tv channel has directions for how to put on the life jacket.

Also, at the muster drill the crew demonstrates how to put it on.

With the older style life vests many people put them on to go to the muster drills and tripped over the dragging strings.

I agree that there should be more instruction and requiring people to pay attention, but the cabin attendant has enough to do already.

We found during a muster drill on HAL (pointed out by a crewman) that the standard life vest for my MIL was way too big for her and a smaller one would be brought to her cabin.

On the other hand, some children need adult sized ones.

I think the cabin steward is already busy enough without adding this to his list of responsibilities.

I agree. If you wish to check your life vest, do so at your convenience with the guidance as needed from muster drill or video. If a newbie refuses to pay attention at muster drill and refuses to pay attention to the safety video, will that newbie take the time to listen respectfully to the room steward? Doubt it.

The steward has a million things to do at departure for many passengers and almost everyone wants it done NOW. His workload is high enough without requiring him to instruct every passenger on putting on their life vest.

If you do not understand how to do it with the muster drill instructions, you could always try to do it when you get back to your cabin. If you still can't figure it out, I am sure that there is someone on the ship who will be happy to instruct you.

DON

Agreed. While the old kapok lifejackets might be tricky to don the newer styles are much easier.

To some degree, I'm of the school that if a passenger doesn't bother to learn how to use their life vest, that's their problem. Let the ship's crew worry about other things.

But the more I think about this, I think the ships could do something on a volunteer basis. Show up at any bar with your lift vest on and get a free drink.

The steward has a million things to do at departure for many passengers and almost everyone wants it done NOW. His workload is high enough without requiring him to instruct every passenger on putting on their life vest. ...

DON

I wholeheartedly agree that the stewards have plenty enough to do as it is.

I agree, the cabin stewards already has enough to do.

I remember back when Pride of Aloha was around, during our muster drill, some ladies in the back were not paying attention to the junior officer when he was demonstrating on how to put on the vest.

He called them out, "You two in the back! Green mu-mu and red tank-top! Front n' Center! Show us all how to properly put on a LIFE VEST!" :eek:

At the end they told him they were going to file a complaint and he told them to make sure they spell his name right. Hope he'll make it to Captain someday :cool:

I'm sorry -- and I know I'm going to get flamed for this -- but if you can't figure out how to put on the modern life jackets, I gotta think that's just Darwinism at work.

*There are written instructions and pictures on the life jacket.

*There is a movie on the tv showing how to do it.

*The front desk (Guest Relations, Purser's Office, whatever) will help you if you have questions.

*There are other people around who can help you if you have a problem.

With as many people are frequent cruisers, it would be a HUGE waste of time and resources to make everyone go through YET ANOTHER safety drill.

If you have questions, or if you need a non-standard size (like for children), by all means ask your room steward or someone else on the staff. But to make yet another rule...??? Sorry, I'm on vacation -- I don't wanna take a test!

WOW !!

Thanks for all the responses.

brillohead: No you won't get flamed. You answered a question honestly and contributed.

Looks like the consensus of opinion is that the attendants have too much to do already so they should not have any more of a burden placed on them.

Thanks everyone.

Now: Should passengers be required to show up at the muster drill with their life vest on or not?

Looks like the consensus of opinion is that the attendants have too much to do already so they should not have any of a burden placed on them.

Another thing -- having the stewards do instructing of this sort might not be "allowed" (either by maritime law, or by the insurance companies). They would have to undergo additional training and may be considered a different "classification" of employee at a different pay rate.

Now: Should passengers be required to show up at the muster drill with their life vest on or not?

That depends... should cruise lines be required to sanitize them in some way? Because 52 or more people putting on that life vest every year and standing in it while sweating to death for an hour... that just sounds disgusting.

Here's an idea -- there are always some extra personnel standing around during muster, waiting for everyone to arrive, checking them off on the clipboard, etc. Why not have those folks going around with a few lifejackets doing demonstrations, having people try them on, etc? It would provide something to do for those of us who are stupid and get there on time, and it would provide a hands-on opportunity for those who want/need it.

I think the room stewards have too much to do already, especially on a day they disembark an entire ship, clean all the cabins, and all new passengers embark. Having them show every person in each of the cabins they are assigned would be a ridiculous drain on their time.

I don't think it's a bad idea to require everyone to bring their vests to the muster drill. On our first cruise on Carnival Elation in 2003, it was required. Our second cruise on HAL Westerdam last Sept it was not. It took a whole lot longer to get everyone there on the Elation, because most had to go back to their cabins first to get them, then to their life boat stations. They already have a hard enough time getting everyone there.

We've only done 2 cruises now and in all honesty, our life vests never came off the shelves on this last cruise. However, DH served in the US Coast Guard for 6 years and I grew up on small boats. We both know how to put them on. If someone has never put one on, then they should figure it out before they set sail

I agree, the cabin stewards already has enough to do.

I remember back when Pride of Aloha was around, during our muster drill, some ladies in the back were not paying attention to the junior officer when he was demonstrating on how to put on the vest.

He called them out, "You two in the back! Green mu-mu and red tank-top! Front n' Center! Show us all how to properly put on a LIFE VEST!" :eek:

At the end they told him they were going to file a complaint and he told them to make sure they spell his name right. Hope he'll make it to Captain someday :cool:

love it! lol

This goes out to everyone, not just first time cruisers. For the people saying that their life jackets never came off the shelf, I would suggest taking it off the shelf and checking it out. I was on a cruise where the jacket was actually (broken):eek: for lack of better words. So do check those vests out!

There are many spare life jackets on deck.

If you should find yours is 'broken', there will be a spare for you on deck in an emergency.

HAL has lockers containg life jackets along Promendade (Life Boat) Deck.

I am sure it is the same on other cruise lines.

We have a traditional before the muster drill. We put on the jackets and take photos of each other. Then we take off the jackets, fold in the straps (my hubby is a stickler for this) and take them to the muster station.

Princess does ask you to carry your jackets to the station. And the station is indoors (one of the lounges or the Princess theater usually even though we once were crowded into the art gallery) which is nice as the PA system giving the instructions isn't competing with outdoor noises. Usually you can sit which probably allows more for paying attention. After crew members demonstrate how to don and use the jacket, passengers are told to put on theirs. This is the appropriate time to ask one of the crew members to check what you did, if you're unsure.

After the drill, we'll wait a few minutes before heading to the stairwell to return to our cabin (a lot quicker than waiting for space on an elevator).

I agree - the cabin stewards have far too much to do. On HAL many of them now have 30 cabins to take care of.

Embarkation day is a very busy day as they have to also get your luggage once it is delivered to your deck and get it to your cabin.

They have to make certain that the cabins are in order -- so much to do on embarkation day.

Archived