Alaskanb

Galapagos 10/11 day?

Hello: Where do I find information regarding the 10/11 day packages for Galapagos cruises? I can find the cruise info and prices but nothing else. I am trying to estimate the total cost involved before we book.

Thanks.

You can call the Xpedition Desk at 866-973-8466. Rob did a great job explaining the 10 Day for me and sent me other helpful information that I am using for planning.

Hello: Where do I find information regarding the 10/11 day packages for Galapagos cruises? I can find the cruise info and prices but nothing else. I am trying to estimate the total cost involved before we book.

Thanks.

Go to the Celebrity site. Click on "Find a Cruise",put in duration of 10+ days and your options will appear.

I am doing this cruise for the 4th time in August and strongly suggest the 10 or 11 day options.

For excellent information, go to the Xpedition roll call page and read the the giant thread "anyone recently back"

Also that is why God gave us travel agents...let one work for you.

Edited by drfun48

I think what I need is the Cruisetour information that includes 1-2 days pre and post cruise. Do you book the cruise first then the add-on package? How does it work?

Thanks.

I think what I need is the Cruisetour information that includes 1-2 days pre and post cruise. Do you book the cruise first then the add-on package? How does it work?

Thanks.

I was going to book the cruise, but after talking to the Xpedition Desk, I booked everything at one time. This is one that I will let Celebrity take are of for a seamless vacation. I would book the 10 or 11 Day now. If you want to add it later, they might charge you the prevailing rates for cruise and add ons.

I was going to book the cruise, but after talking to the Xpedition Desk, I booked everything at one time. This is one that I will let Celebrity take are of for a seamless vacation. I would book the 10 or 11 Day now. If you want to add it later, they might charge you the prevailing rates for cruise and add ons.

The following is information from my April 14, 2013 Galapagos trip.

For either the 10 or 11-night package, you arrive in Quito, Ecuador the Friday before your cruise. You can either arrange your own flights or book them through Celebrity. I booked my own since I could use miles. A Celebrity representative will meet you at the airport just outside the security area and provide transportation to the JW Marriott hotel, about an hour away from the airport. If you arrive early enough, dinner at the hotel restaurant is included. Our flight didn't arrive until 9:30 PM so it was around 11 when we arrived at the hotel.

The next morning the hotel breakfast buffet is included. The buffet offers a good variety of food. Around 9 AM, we were told to meet in the lobby and were divided into 4 groups. Each group had a guide and bus to go to historic Quito for a walking tour. The bus ride took about 30 minutes. We saw the National cathedral (both inside & outside), several other churches (actual ones may vary depending on activities in the churches), and the old streets of Quito. The churches we saw were San Francisco & La Compania Iglesia. We also walked around Plaza Grande. Around 1 PM, we stopped for lunch at a restaurant with buffet. Water, wine, and juice was included but sodas were extra. The whole group (about 100 of us) met for lunch so it took a couple hours. After lunch we divided back into our groups and headed to the Center of the World monument, about 45 minutes away. We had about 1.5 hours at the monument to look around, climb to the top, or shop. We then returned to the hotel for a short break before dinner. We left for dinner at 6:30 and went to an Italian restaurant called Carmine's. We had a set menu to choose from that included several appetizers, entrees, and desserts. Sodas, juice, and wine was included with the meal. After dinner we returned to the hotel and had to bring our checked bags to the lobby to be weighed and searched for any items not allowed in the Galapagos. Celebrity kept our checked bags, tagged the, and took them to the airport in the morning.

The next morning breakfast is again included. We had to meet in the lobby at 7:45 for a bus ride to the airport. The flight to and from Baltra (Galapagos) is included in the package. At the airport security wasn't long and we had to wait for a while before our flight. Celebrity charters a plane so it was only Xpedition passengers and staff onboard the plane. The flight takes about 2 hours. There are about a dozen "first class" seats available. Celebrity was offering those for $200 pp. One couple paid for the upgrade but it looked like the only extra was the better seats and leg room. They served another breakfast on the plane (ham & cheese quiche, croissant, and fruit) and had drinks. We arrived in Baltra around noon. We had to wait in a lounge at the airport while our incoming paperwork was completed. There were drinks (water and sodas) and light snacks available. We then had to go through a security scan of our carry-on items and take a bus to the dock.

I did the Machu Picchu package this time, but they gave everyone the schedule for the 10/11 night trips. The Sunday after the cruise in Quito is the same for either. The flight from Batra to Quito is included and lunch is served on the plane. You arrive back in Quito around 2:30 after the Galapagos cruise. Celebrity takes passengers to an outdoor market for a couple hours of shopping. When I was there in 2007, the market was mostly tourist souveniers but there were some hand-crafted items. After the market, the group goes to the JW Marriott to check in and have a short break. After the break, the group goes to a gallery that offers higher-end items such as local art, jewelry, baskets, and crafts. Dinner is included then back to the hotel.

Guests on the 10-night trip are taken to the airport for Monday flights as needed. This can be very early depending on flight times. Some people had 6 AM flights and their bus to the airport left at 3 AM. Not much sleep for them! Breakfast buffet is included for guests who do not have to depart until after 6 AM.

The 11-night guests have breakfast and dinner at the hotel included for Monday. Lunch was on your own. Celebrity does not have any tours included for Monday. You can either relax at the hotel (it has a fabulous pool!) or make other arrangements for the day. When my husband and I did the 11-night tour in 2007, we talked to the Marriott concierge before we left for the Galapagos about tours. He scheduled a guide to take us to the Mindo cloud forest but there are other options that he can arrange. We had lunch as part of our cloud forest tour and dinner at the hotel. I can't remember now if there was a price limit or limited menu for dinner.

For the 11-night guests, transportation to the airport for Tuesday flights is included. Again, it may be really early.

Some of the people on the 10-night tour who had early flights decided not to stay at the Marriott because they did not want to leave at 3 AM for the airport. Celebrity made arrangements for them to stay at a hotel closer to the airport and arranged airport transportation. Those guests were put on a separate bus from the ones going to the Marriott. My understanding is those guests were dropped off at their hotel directly from the airport. They did not take the market tour on Sunday afternoon and their meals were not included. I don't know what hotel they stayed at or the amenities offered.

The guide on our bus for Quito said Celebrity was looking at hotel options closer to the airport. Quito opened a new airport in February that is outside of the city. The old airport was only about 15-minutes from the Marriott but the new one is about an hour. Guests have been complaining about the long bus rides between the airport and hotel. I'm not sure if Celebrity will make changes in the upcoming months.

There are more details in the Roll Call thread, but there are so many posts that it is sometimes hard to find what you need. Also much of the information is from before the new airport opened.

Edited by kyriecat

Thanks Kyriecat! We are heading to the Baltics in about 4 weeks and when we get back will make plans for either Galapagos or New Zealand.

Thanks Kyriecat! Such great information. I just started looking/thinking about this one so it is timely indeed. Really appreciate the little details.