"Live from" ms Volendam to Alaska! My First HAL Experience

Note:

The muster drill came right after our embarkation lunch in the lido. (we settled in our staterooms first) It was relatively efficient. Some issues that presented itself were people who weren't good at english. When their stateroom numbers were called, they didn't answer, so it took a little longer than usual. :/ Oh wells.

Soon, it was time for dinner. Now, I'm the type who like to dress up a little every night, so I wore a semi-casual dress.

We were the late seating dinner at 8pm.

Here was tonight's menu:

8722751514_4a5ddcfa76_b.jpg

8721630929_358937c44a_b.jpg

8721624985_4ea2afe3be_b.jpg

and here are the things available every night:

8721631139_0cdfb14e4f_b.jpg

Since we're a 5 person family, this means that I have a LOT of food pictures. In case that's your thing.. cuz it's mine :D

Here was our Day 1 meal:

First, Me, Bro, Mom & Dad all had the Coconut Crusted Scallops. And boy, were they good. (Sis doesn't like seafood)

8722764296_aeb03e722c_b.jpg

Sis on the other hand, had the Fresh Fruit Medley. I tried some, it was tasty ^^

8721643691_9b66f99ef6_b.jpg

After we finished appetizer #1, Bro, Dad, Mom & I also had a Citrus Alaskan Seafood Cocktail. Delicious. The sauce was so tasty, along with tender scallops, squid and bay shrimps.

One of the best appetizers I had (+ the first Scallops, they were huge!) on the entire cruise.

8721643829_eb5341cd77_b.jpg

Mom & Dad's soups then arrived. We all tried them (LOL, it's a family with kids, what do you expect?).

Here's Mom's Chilled Mixed Berry Soup:

8721660701_07a07d1373_b.jpg

It was yummy. Very sweet. We all agreed that it tasted like Berry Milkshake.

and Dad's French Onion Soup "Les Halles"

8722781662_82fb658df3_b.jpg

It was okay. Not impressive. Just broth with wet cheese LOL.

Then the entrées started to arrive!

Bro ordered the Penne Primavera. Well done, lots of parmesan & cooked al dente.

8722781780_3afec66838_b.jpg

Sis, Dad & I ordered the Prime Rib of Beef au Jus. ...meh. It looked good and well cooked, but we just ... didn't like it. It had gravy on it, but it just didn't taste good :/

no one wanted to finish it. It simply didn't taste like anything. No flavor whatsoever. It was actually one of the worst steaks I've had in a while. It was also pretty chewy.

8722781946_b0945fa9ea_b.jpg

Sarah your pictures are great:D

Hope you can come back and tell us more. You are very good at reporting and it is a very interesting thread.

Thanks so much for doing this:D

Note:

Tracy Arm Fjord was not really a part of the itinerary. Apparently, even though it says it's part of it, they only go there if some passengers that have excursions booked there. Our cruise did not, so we didn't even go there. :( Apparently, it was quickly and quietly cut from the itinerary.

We have missed Tracy Arm several times. The ice flow can be too bad for the ship to get in there.

Hi Sarah,

Enjoying your reports!

I have a question.....

I have been to Vancouver many times, but never took the train from the airport. Where exactly is the train station we will be getting off at near the dock?

Is it under the historic train station? I remember boarding there to head FOR the airport. (My friend will be in a power chair, so this is important to know).

Thanks!

Edited by Tinknock50

Hi Sarah, I'm following with great interest. We're on our first Alaskan cruise next month - ooh 1 month today!:cool:

I do hope you continue to post. Loving it so far. Thanks for sharing with us.

Mumsy.

Thanks for the review...and the pictures! Loving all the food pics:D We have only sailed out of Vancouver once...but we loved it...so beautiful...

Also giving serious thought to an Alaskan cruise next year...dh loves warm weather but we have about worn out the Caribbean...time for something new:)

Enjoying your review - will be on the same cruise July 24. Being one of the "oldies' should fit right in. Once school gets out there shold be more kids on the ships.

Thanks for your review,and photos. We have two cruises booked on the Volendam, Alaska in September, and the Far East next February, so I'm looking forward to more photos of the public rooms!

We must be alike, people laugh at me on a cruise, because I have my camera out all the time at mealtimes! We had a comedian on our last cruise who made fun of all of us who spent our time photographing the food we were about to eat! So true..... Ann

Sarah your pictures are great:D

Hope you can come back and tell us more. You are very good at reporting and it is a very interesting thread.

Thanks so much for doing this:D

Thank you so much! That means a lot :D and no problem, I love trip reporting ^^

Hi Sarah,

Enjoying your reports!

I have a question.....

I have been to Vancouver many times, but never took the train from the airport. Where exactly is the train station we will be getting off at near the dock?

Is it under the historic train station? I remember boarding there to head FOR the airport. (My friend will be in a power chair, so this is important to know).

Thanks!

First of all, thanks for following! (: Secondly, the Skytrain is a great mode of transportation! It's efficient and smooth. What we did was take to Skytrain all the way to the last stop (which is Waterfront). After getting off the train, you follow the crowd through a hallway. Next, you go up the escalator (or elevator available) into the station. It's a big, big brick building. (keep your ticket) We then went forward toward the kiosks and exited left (it very obviously leads to more trains) and went forward until we were met with a whole bunch of exits. Pass the stairs that go down and exit left. (Shortcut to Canada Place!) The sign will say "Millenium Train". Go there anyways. Ride the escalator down and walk through the train area to the end. Don't take the train. When you exit above, you will be right infront of Canada place.

What I suggest for you is (if your friend is willing to ride a distance) is to (after leaving the elevator), exit right, out the main entrance of Waterfront Station building and make a right. Walk until the end of the block and made a second right. You should be able to see Canada Place by now.

Edited by lovely_serenity

Hi Sarah, I'm following with great interest. We're on our first Alaskan cruise next month - ooh 1 month today!:cool:

I do hope you continue to post. Loving it so far. Thanks for sharing with us.

Mumsy.

And thank you for following! I'm glad you enjoy it and I'm sure you'll have a great time on your upcoming cruise (:

Thanks for the review...and the pictures! Loving all the food pics:D We have only sailed out of Vancouver once...but we loved it...so beautiful...

Also giving serious thought to an Alaskan cruise next year...dh loves warm weather but we have about worn out the Caribbean...time for something new:)

Thank you! And yeah! You guys should totally do an Alaskan cruise! I suggest looking for one with either Glacier Bay National Park or Hubbard Glacier in your itinerary!