Hotels in Venice area

Denali2003

Wow, I didn't expect this many replies. Ok, now I'm stuck between choosing a few places:

Hotel Santa Chiara

BW Olimpia

You & Me B&B

All are nice and within budget. The B&B is a 20 min bus & boat ride from the airport. As well as a 20 min bus & boat ride to the "People Mover".

Decisions, decisions. . . . .

OH - and we can get a MUCH BETTER deal on flights by going through Princess. So we will be flying into Venice instead of Milan.

?...

OH - and we can get a MUCH BETTER deal on flights by going through Princess. So we will be flying into Venice instead of Milan.

Are you aware of the potential pitfalls of using cruise line air? If not, read the sticky at the top of the Cruise Air CC forum.

Wow, I didn't expect this many replies. Ok, now I'm stuck between choosing a few places:

Hotel Santa Chiara

BW Olimpia

You & Me B&B

All are nice and within budget. The B&B is a 20 min bus & boat ride from the airport. As well as a 20 min bus & boat ride to the "People Mover".

Decisions, decisions. . . . .

We went with BW Olimpia for our August 22 cruise. Also doing Princess Air. Couldn't beat the price!

We stayed at the BW Olimpia for 2 nights pre-cruise and 3 night post-cruise last fall… and would absolutely recommend it again! We arrived in Venice via train from Rome in early Oct 2012, and found it very easy to roll our luggage over to the hotel from the train station – you can actually see it when you emerge from the station on the canal side. 8 minute walk, 3 bridges, including a large but very gradual brand new bridge over the Grand Canal and two much smaller and fairly easy bridges to traverse with luggage, and voila! I'm only 5'2" and not very strong, but I found it manageable - my husband had no trouble at all. It’s also only a 5 minute walk to the people mover that will take you to the cruise port, and a 3 minute walk to Piazza Roma where you can take the airport bus to the airport (6 or 7 euros for the airport bus – easy as can be!), and the vaporetto water bus system on the grand canal. Plus, great access to walk to everything in Venice, which we did every day.

The hotel itself is as “anti-best western” as you can get!! Seriously, aside from the name, there’s nothing Best Western about it!! LOL! It’s charming and quaint and buffet breakfast was really nice and included cappuccino and espresso if you asked. The free Wifi was a nice touch, and upon returning from dinner on our first evening, there was a small bottle of champagne chilling and two glasses, along with a sweet card that welcomed us to Venice – I was soooo touched!! The staff were terrific and accommodating, and we will definitely stay there again when we visit Venice in 2015!

The pictures on their website are spot on… we had two different rooms for the pre and post cruise stay (arrived Oct 13 for 2 nights, then again arrived after the cruise on Nov 8 for 3 nights) – the first was in the “annex” across a sweet little flowered and grassy courtyard on the second floor – strange little room, but quite comfortable. The second stay was in the main building and was a better room… and actually VERY roomy by European standards.

Anyhow, we truly loved our stay there and can’t wait to return… great rates, excellent location (truly!!!), and very comfortable accommodations. Enjoy your vacation and let me know if there’s anything specific I can answer about any of this.

Celine

We are staying in Mestre, why, just wanted to be outside of Venice a bit, hoping it wil be a bit quieter! We are staying at a Best Western, which is right by the train station--Hotel Bologna

We stayed there in October 2012 prior to a cruise and will do so again this October. As you know, it's right across the street from the train station, the rooms are quite modern and quiet. Breakfast is included and front desk personnel are eager to help.

We had the front desk call a taxi for us for transportation to the cruise port. The cost for two plus four pieces of luggage was €35,00...well worth it IMHO. We were dropped of right at the ship.

Lew

We stayed at the BW Olimpia for 2 nights pre-cruise and 3 night post-cruise last fall… and would absolutely recommend it again! We arrived in Venice via train from Rome in early Oct 2012, and found it very easy to roll our luggage over to the hotel from the train station – you can actually see it when you emerge from the station on the canal side. 8 minute walk, 3 bridges, including a large but very gradual brand new bridge over the Grand Canal and two much smaller and fairly easy bridges to traverse with luggage, and voila! I'm only 5'2" and not very strong, but I found it manageable - my husband had no trouble at all. It’s also only a 5 minute walk to the people mover that will take you to the cruise port, and a 3 minute walk to Piazza Roma where you can take the airport bus to the airport (6 or 7 euros for the airport bus – easy as can be!), and the vaporetto water bus system on the grand canal. Plus, great access to walk to everything in Venice, which we did every day.

The hotel itself is as “anti-best western” as you can get!! Seriously, aside from the name, there’s nothing Best Western about it!! LOL! It’s charming and quaint and buffet breakfast was really nice and included cappuccino and espresso if you asked. The free Wifi was a nice touch, and upon returning from dinner on our first evening, there was a small bottle of champagne chilling and two glasses, along with a sweet card that welcomed us to Venice – I was soooo touched!! The staff were terrific and accommodating, and we will definitely stay there again when we visit Venice in 2015!

The pictures on their website are spot on… we had two different rooms for the pre and post cruise stay (arrived Oct 13 for 2 nights, then again arrived after the cruise on Nov 8 for 3 nights) – the first was in the “annex” across a sweet little flowered and grassy courtyard on the second floor – strange little room, but quite comfortable. The second stay was in the main building and was a better room… and actually VERY roomy by European standards.

Anyhow, we truly loved our stay there and can’t wait to return… great rates, excellent location (truly!!!), and very comfortable accommodations. Enjoy your vacation and let me know if there’s anything specific I can answer about any of this.

Celine

Looks like we made a good choice to stay there! Any recommendations on places in the area for lunch or dinner?

Has anyone stayed at the Best Western Olimpia? It looks like a good hotel. Good location. Got good reviews on trip advisor. Just wanted to get a cruisers opinion.

Thanks!!!:)

We stayed there for 2 nights pre-cruise and were extremely satisfied.. We had a nice,fairly large room overlooking the garden. Breakfast was included and was exceptional. Staff were friendly and helpful. Location is very convenient to the cruise port and the bus stop from the airport, as well as a vaporetto stop on the Grand canal. Price was very reasonable as well.

Are you aware of the potential pitfalls of using cruise line air? If not, read the sticky at the top of the Cruise Air CC forum.

Perhaps there are pitfalls, but we certainly did not experience any whatsoever when we booked through Princess for our Mediterranean cruise last August. We received airline confirmation including seat assignments at the time we booked, and the prices were much lower than we could find anywhere else. Coming from San Francisco, we had one stop in Philadelphia each way on US Air. We booked directly through Princess but transferred the cruise booking later to a TA.

We've stayed at the Carlton Grand Canal and this trip we're staying at the Hotel Villa Rosa. It's nothing fancy but close and reasonable.

Did you like the Carlton Grand Canal? I have two reservations, one for the Carlton and one for Hotel Santa Chiara and I am having trouble deciding. There are 2 of us, me and my daughter and in the Carlton we can have two beds, but in Santa Chiara we'd have to share a bed, so I am leaning toward the Carlton? Does anyone have an opinion about those two hotels?

Looks like we made a good choice to stay there! Any recommendations on places in the area for lunch or dinner?

I can't recall the names of any of the places, but we weren't dissapointed in any of the places we ate at. We typically would walk and explore during the day, and then when hunger would call, we'd check out the various menus on display outside of different places and then stop and eat at whichever ones suited our tastes at the moment. We did find that the places in San Marco Plaza were quite expensive compared to other places just a side street or two away... so I recommend you look around a bit before deciding where to eat. :)

Celine

Perhaps there are pitfalls, but we certainly did not experience any whatsoever when we booked through Princess for our Mediterranean cruise last August. We received airline confirmation including seat assignments at the time we booked, and the prices were much lower than we could find anywhere else. Coming from San Francisco, we had one stop in Philadelphia each way on US Air. We booked directly through Princess but transferred the cruise booking later to a TA.

The pitfalls generally make themselves known when there are problems like missed flights or schedule changes. When all goes well, cruise air works fine.

I can't recall the names of any of the places, but we weren't dissapointed in any of the places we ate at. We typically would walk and explore during the day, and then when hunger would call, we'd check out the various menus on display outside of different places and then stop and eat at whichever ones suited our tastes at the moment. We did find that the places in San Marco Plaza were quite expensive compared to other places just a side street or two away... so I recommend you look around a bit before deciding where to eat. :)

Celine

Sounds like a plan! We're going to do our research, but we'll play it by ear. Good tip re: looking around. Anything you did that you consider a "can't miss"?

Sounds like a plan! We're going to do our research, but we'll play it by ear. Good tip re: looking around. Anything you did that you consider a "can't miss"?

To be honest, we didn't do ALL of the stuff in Venice that some people say you must do - it would have been impossible to do it all.

But we did take a vaporetto over to Murano and watched some glass blowing in the factory right near the vaporetto stop when we got there... and wandered through a bunch of their shops... BEAUTIFUL glass creations!! We spent about 4 hours total there.

We also walked EVERYWHERE - don't get me wrong, we also took a vaporetto from Piazza Roma all the way to San Marco Plaza on the first day, mostly to get our bearings, then we walked the entire way back... and repeated that walk back and forth again the next day. Along the way we'd browse in shops, pose for all kinds of pics (Rialto Bridge, Bridge of sighs, with gondoliers, other smaller canals off the Grand Canal, etc.) had wine and pizza in more places than I can remember :D, stepped into countless tiny churches, got lost and found again at least a dozen times (I'm not even exaggerating... and that was truly a wonderfully charming part of our walks!), and just enjoyed the incredible atmosphere.

I don't think we took the same path twice in all the days we spent there, and though we had a small map with us provided by the hotel, most of the time we just followed our desires in whatever direction we felt like heading. That’s part of the fun of Venice… it’s a pretty small island, so you can’t truly get “lost”… eventually you come to the Grand Canal and get your bearings from there, along with the signs at various “intersections” that show the general direction of P.Roma (where the Olimpia Hotel is) and San Marco Pl. (Basilica, the Doge's Palace, etc.) that assist you in finding your way.

The line up to get into Doge’s Palace was ridiculous on the day we wanted to go in, so we skipped it, and we skipped the gondola ride too – we figured “Oh we'll do those things next time we’re in town… gives us more incentive to return” And return we will!! We loved Italy and are already planning another big trip there in less than 2 years - this time we'll do spring time instead of fall.

Oh... there was one really cool part of Venice that we almost didn't get to enjoy, thinking it wasn't a "relavant part of Venice", but it really was: If you're in Piazza Roma, walk down one of the streets that goes along the Grand Canal towards the train station... keep walking and you'll see a bunch more small shops that sort of branch to the left a wee bit... and on the left, a couple of blocks from Piazza Roma, there's a funky diner that is rather "cafeteria styled"... you grab a cafeteria tray, go to the counter, pick and choose the pasta you want, along with the sauce you want, they serve it up for you behind the counter then plate it for you, pick a bread, then head to the self serve beverage dispenser that dispense wine in carafe's that range from about 300ml up to one litre - I thought that was the coolest thing ever!!! There's also a fridge with bottle waters, beer, pop, etc. Then over to the till to pay and then grab a seat. VERY inexpensive - tons of students appeared to eat there while we there, and I can see why.

The Coop, which is just a few minutes walk from the people mover, has a basic selection of inexpensive wines and other liquors, along with being a general grocery store - one day we picked up a bottle of wine, bread and cheese, got two glasses from the hotel, and enjoyed a "pic-nic" sitting at one of the quaint tables directly in front of the hotel that overlook a small canal with gondolas - fantastic people watching!!!

My husband and I kept saying "WOW! We're in Venice, sitting at a small cafe table overlooking a canal, enjoying wine, bread and cheese... this is so sureal!!" We loved it all, and can't wait to return again - hope you all enjoy it as much as we did! :)

Celine

Archived