My View of Ancient wonders

Just returned a couple of days ago and here are my notes on the cruise.

Outbound Flight

Check in at Manchester Airport was very quick compared to the last two flights with Thomson, completed within ½ hour. The flight went well with good service from cabin crew.

Transfer to Celebration

Left the airport expecting details to be checked as on previous cruises, very surprised that even names not checked against a list, just straight onto the coach, transfer approx 1½ hours.

Check in

Check in at the terminal very quick and efficient, boarded Celebration and were assigned to cabin 486. Very concerned to be right next to lifts and disappointed to find that the beds were singles and at 90 degrees to each other. I believe that Thomson could save the reception staff a lot of hassle if they notified passengers what the bed arrangements are prior to arrival. There was a long queue at reception most people complaining that they had twin cabins rather than double cabin.

Cabin

In the end the noise from lifts was not as bad as expected. The cabin was clean, it was nice to see a kettle with tea and coffee facilities available. Bathroom appeared much cleaner than last time we cruised on this ship, looked like the bathroom had been recently re-tiled, no problems at all with the plumbing.

Lido restaurant

As with our previous experience with the Lido the food was plentiful well cooked and a good choice at each meal time, we tended to take breakfast and lunch here. Waiter staff excellent always ready to help and get whatever you required.

Meridian Restaurant

Good food good service although portions a little bit on the small side for my liking (probably a good thing or clothes wouldn’t have fit by the end of the week)

Mistrals Restaurant.

Had one meal in Mistrals, a more personal service here and food was slightly better presented. Was it worth the extra £19.99 each? In my opinion NO.

Entertainment

As expected of Thomson Celebration entertainment team, We found the shows on the whole to be very good, Different types of entertainment each evening in the different bars, We spent a lot of time in Horizons bar listening to “2 intense” . In my opinion the best night was when all the different entertainers were rotated around the different bars.

Day at Sea

We had no problem finding a lounger, however we were out on deck before 10:30 a little later in the day people were searching for loungers, Lounger patrols were about and if a lounger appeared to be reserved they DID put a 45 minute warning on it, I personally did not see any items removed from loungers but that does not mean it did not happen.

Istanbul

Decided to take the easy Istanbul tour which was very interesting, If we had been on our own we would not have known that Istanbul is actually on both Europe and Asia. Value for money on this tour? In my opinion Yes. If you wish to do the Grand Bazzar and the blue Mosque on your own it would be very easy, there are trams within a few metres of the harbour that take you into the town..

Mitilene

Did this on our own, We were warned that the tenders to shore would be busy and to leave it till later in the day before venturing out, very wrong we only had about a five minute wait till we were called. This town is very easy to do if you only wish to see the town. In my opinion I wouldn’t wish to return, not a very picturesque place.

Pireus for Athens

Took the tour bus that allowed you to do your own thing, had a guide who explained all about Athens and Pireus an the journey. We were dropped off near the Acropolis and advised what to visit, then the time to meet again for the return journey. We went into the Acropolis (fee to pay) if you are European and over the age of 65 take your passport along with you to get ½ price admission.

I would recommend this Athens “On your own” tour. Personally I think it would have been more difficult to get to the Acropolis etc on our own.

Mykenos

Again we did our own thing here. Had a lovely day just wondered around the town and really enjoyed ourselves (we will be returning at a future time). The ship laid on free transfer buses from ship to town centre from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Kusadasi

Again decided to do our own thing here, quite disappointed as we walked to the castle only to find it closed for refurbishment, walking back towards the harbour we were stopped by a taxi driver and offered a trip to Ephesus for only 55 euros. I eventually got it down to 35 euros, my other half was not too keen as we obviously didn’t know the driver, however he assured us that he did not want any money until our return. He took us to the house of the Blue virgin and to Ephesus itself. The only problem was he insisted on taking us to a very expensive leather factory where we had to be very insistant thet we did not want to buy anything. Then to a jewellers where we looked at a tanzanite ring with an original asking price of over £600 again be very firm and say no, as we were leaving the shop the price eventually came down to £200 and we were then very tempted but an offer of £100 saw the back of the salesman. Then returned to Kusadasi and paid the taxi. Well worth the hassle and the price. Finished the day with a tour of the Grand Bazzar.

Return Flight

Very efficient check in and we left 15 minutes early, The plane was only half full on the return journey so service was fast and efficient.

Platinum Standard? Not in my opinion. The only differences we saw since our last cruise on the Celebration was a little new furniture around, re tiling of the bathroom, a wall mounted TV and tea and coffee making facilities. However We really enjoyed this cruise and would board the Celebration again,

Outbound Flight

Check in at Manchester Airport was very quick compared to the last two flights with Thomson, completed within ½ hour. The flight went well with good service from cabin crew.

Transfer to Celebration

Left the airport expecting details to be checked as on previous cruises, very surprised that even names not checked against a list, just straight onto the coach, transfer approx 1½ hours.

Check in

Check in at the terminal very quick and efficient, boarded Celebration and were assigned to cabin 486. Very concerned to be right next to lifts and disappointed to find that the beds were singles and at 90 degrees to each other. I believe that Thomson could save the reception staff a lot of hassle if they notified passengers what the bed arrangements are prior to arrival. There was a long queue at reception most people complaining that they had twin cabins rather than double cabin.

Cabin

In the end the noise from lifts was not as bad as expected. The cabin was clean, it was nice to see a kettle with tea and coffee facilities available. Bathroom appeared much cleaner than last time we cruised on this ship, looked like the bathroom had been recently re-tiled, no problems at all with the plumbing.

Lido restaurant

As with our previous experience with the Lido the food was plentiful well cooked and a good choice at each meal time, we tended to take breakfast and lunch here. Waiter staff excellent always ready to help and get whatever you required.

Meridian Restaurant

Good food good service although portions a little bit on the small side for my liking (probably a good thing or clothes wouldn’t have fit by the end of the week)

Mistrals Restaurant.

Had one meal in Mistrals, a more personal service here and food was slightly better presented. Was it worth the extra £19.99 each? In my opinion NO.

Entertainment

As expected of Thomson Celebration entertainment team, We found the shows on the whole to be very good, Different types of entertainment each evening in the different bars, We spent a lot of time in Horizons bar listening to “2 intense” . In my opinion the best night was when all the different entertainers were rotated around the different bars.

Day at Sea

We had no problem finding a lounger, however we were out on deck before 10:30 a little later in the day people were searching for loungers, Lounger patrols were about and if a lounger appeared to be reserved they DID put a 45 minute warning on it, I personally did not see any items removed from loungers but that does not mean it did not happen.

Istanbul

Decided to take the easy Istanbul tour which was very interesting, If we had been on our own we would not have known that Istanbul is actually on both Europe and Asia. Value for money on this tour? In my opinion Yes. If you wish to do the Grand Bazzar and the blue Mosque on your own it would be very easy, there are trams within a few metres of the harbour that take you into the town..

Mitilene

Did this on our own, We were warned that the tenders to shore would be busy and to leave it till later in the day before venturing out, very wrong we only had about a five minute wait till we were called. This town is very easy to do if you only wish to see the town. In my opinion I wouldn’t wish to return, not a very picturesque place.

Pireus for Athens

Took the tour bus that allowed you to do your own thing, had a guide who explained all about Athens and Pireus an the journey. We were dropped off near the Acropolis and advised what to visit, then the time to meet again for the return journey. We went into the Acropolis (fee to pay) if you are European and over the age of 65 take your passport along with you to get ½ price admission.

I would recommend this Athens “On your own” tour. Personally I think it would have been more difficult to get to the Acropolis etc on our own.

Mykenos

Again we did our own thing here. Had a lovely day just wondered around the town and really enjoyed ourselves (we will be returning at a future time). The ship laid on free transfer buses from ship to town centre from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Kusadasi

Again decided to do our own thing here, quite disappointed as we walked to the castle only to find it closed for refurbishment, walking back towards the harbour we were stopped by a taxi driver and offered a trip to Ephesus for only 55 euros. I eventually got it down to 35 euros, my other half was not too keen as we obviously didn’t know the driver, however he assured us that he did not want any money until our return. He took us to the house of the Blue virgin and to Ephesus itself. The only problem was he insisted on taking us to a very expensive leather factory where we had to be very insistant thet we did not want to buy anything. Then to a jewellers where we looked at a tanzanite ring with an original asking price of over £600 again be very firm and say no, as we were leaving the shop the price eventually came down to £200 and we were then very tempted but an offer of £100 saw the back of the salesman. Then returned to Kusadasi and paid the taxi. Well worth the hassle and the price. Finished the day with a tour of the Grand Bazzar.

Return Flight

Very efficient check in and we left 15 minutes early, The plane was only half full on the return journey so service was fast and efficient.

Platinum Standard? Not in my opinion. The only differences we saw since our last cruise on the Celebration was a little new furniture around, re tiling of the bathroom, a wall mounted TV and tea and coffee making facilities. However We really enjoyed this cruise and would board the Celebration again,

Good report

I look forward to finding out for myself on Monday.

Excellent report - thank you. We did this cruise (except Lesvos) last year & are doing again later in the year B2B with Crimean Discovery.

Regarding your cabin, might be worth paying the extra to book in future; this way you can pre-book a double in location of your choice- I think it's worth it.

Did you not tender in Mykonos? Did they dock in the port instead? Wonder if so, if that will continue all summer - we tendered there last year but it was very choppy to & from the town!

We did the Athens on your Own - thought that was very efficient & easy.

Glad you enjoyed your cruise :)

Thank you for an interesting and informative review. Like others have found with the Dream too the 'Platinum' up-grade has been rather over-hyped but having said the refurb is welcome with many areas looking smarter and it's very good to hear that the ensuites are now looking good! (I hated the mosaic tiling - never looked good!)

Good report

I look forward to finding out for myself on Monday.

Outbound Flight

Transfer to Celebration

Check in

Cabin

Lido restaurant

Meridian Restaurant

Mistrals Restaurant.

Entertainment

Day at Sea

Istanbul

Mitilene

Pireus for Athens

Mykenos

Kusadasi

Return Flight

Enjoyed reading your review

we are doing our first Cruise In July also Anciwnt Wonders

having a look at the trips and my head is now in a pickle as in what to book and what to do on our Own

Hubby wold rather book Excursion for Istanbul but it does not take in all what I would like to see, does the Tour Prices include entrance fees?

Athens on your own just with coach transfer, is this easy to do are things within walking distance from drop off point

I.E Acropolis, what is the cost for entrance?

You mentioned free buses into Mykenos I thought like Atens there was a charge for this?

There is just so many tours and choices to make, so any advice would be appreciated

having a look at the trips and my head is now in a pickle as in what to book and what to do on our Own

Hubby wold rather book Excursion for Istanbul but it does not take in all what I would like to see, does the Tour Prices include entrance fees?

Athens on your own just with coach transfer, is this easy to do are things within walking distance from drop off point

You mentioned free buses into Mykenos I thought like Atens there was a charge for this?

There is just so many tours and choices to make, so any advice would be appreciated

Here's a link to a recent thread with some info/ideas for the ports on your cruise.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1844802

Re Istanbul: if the tours state they are going to certain places, I would think the entrance fees are included unless stated but it really is easy to DIY if you get a good map :)

Athens on your own is within walking distance of the Acropolis & Plaka - they give you a map on the bus. Can't help with entrance price as we didn't actually go in; we walked right to the top & were happy to just see it from the outside & the great views of the city but try googling it!

It looks like when Paul did Mykonos that the ship docked which is a little distance from Mykonos town & not really easy to walk to which is why Thomson must provide buses. When we went, we tendered & the tenders went straight into the town & were free. Maybe they share it between tender boats (which belong to the Island rather than using the lifeboats) and bus companies? I'm not sure or it maybe if there is another ship in Mykonos on the same day that they have to take it in turns or maybe Thomson aren't tendering this year?

Hope this helps a little

Re Istanbul: if the tours state they are going to certain places, I would think the entrance fees are included unless stated but it really is easy to DIY if you get a good map :)

Athens on your own is within walking distance of the Acropolis & Plaka - they give you a map on the bus. Can't help with entrance price as we didn't actually go in; we walked right to the top & were happy to just see it from the outside & the great views of the city but try googling it!

It looks like when Paul did Mykonos that the ship docked which is a little distance from Mykonos town & not really easy to walk to which is why Thomson must provide buses. When we went, we tendered & the tenders went straight into the town & were free. Maybe they share it between tender boats (which belong to the Island rather than using the lifeboats) and bus companies? I'm not sure or it maybe if there is another ship in Mykonos on the same day that they have to take it in turns or maybe Thomson aren't tendering this year?

Hope this helps a little

The dock at Mykonos isn't far out of the town you could walk it and you can see the ship from the harbour - it's a flat walk around the bay. It might take you anything up to half an hour though I'd guess. However, I wouldn't recommend walking to town - it's the main road, quite busy and there's no pavement. We don't mind walking but I mentioned to DH when on the shuttle bus that I was glad we weren't walking along that road.

And if you are happy to walk - it's quite possible to walk into the tourist centre of Istanbul - and from the tourist side across the Galata Bridge you can see where the ships are berthed. I always find it really reassuring when we do a DiY and the ship is never really out of sight - or can soon be! As long as you set off early enough - no danger of not making it back in time! ;)

If you look at this map you can see the port (9), the Galata Bridge (14), Hagia Sophia (1), Blue Mosque (2), Topkapi Palace (8), Spice Market (13) and Grand Bazaar - all within walking distance of one another provided you don't have walking problems. The main problem is to decide on what you most want to see especially if you want to go inside places. I'd recommend getting off the ship asap if you want to go to the Topkapi Palace and go there first and get in before the groups.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://mappery.com/maps/Istanbul-Tourist-Map-2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://mappery.com/map-of/Istanbul-Tourist-Map-2&h=1073&w=1197&sz=1277&tbnid=85Ejb8rUBqEdiM:&tbnh=81&tbnw=90&zoom=1&usg=__NuYQ1wU7CjChRQy5PrEkv5uW3ss=&docid=kZvJfDpYiofpOM&sa=X&ei=iLyXUfWJE6qG4ASlq4DgBQ&ved=0CD0Q9QEwAA&dur=1148

It's possible to see all of these - perhaps go in the Topkapi (but pay extra to go into the Harem as that's the most impressive part), go inside the Blue Mosque (free but avoid prayers) and then just wander and pull in the rest as you find your way back to the ship. It's fabulous - have confidence it's so easy to DiY. Enjoy!

Hope this helps a little

It certainly has, thank you so much:)

The dock at Mykonos isn't far out of the town you could walk it and you can see the ship from the harbour - it's a flat walk around the bay. It might take you anything up to half an hour though I'd guess. However, I wouldn't recommend walking to town - it's the main road, quite busy and there's no pavement. We don't mind walking but I mentioned to DH when on the shuttle bus that I was glad we weren't walking along that road.

And if you are happy to walk - it's quite possible to walk into the tourist centre of Istanbul - and from the tourist side across the Galata Bridge you can see where the ships are berthed. I always find it really reassuring when we do a DiY and the ship is never really out of sight - or can soon be! As long as you set off early enough - no danger of not making it back in time! ;)

If you look at this map you can see the port (9), the Galata Bridge (14), Hagia Sophia (1), Blue Mosque (2), Topkapi Palace (8), Spice Market (13) and Grand Bazaar - all within walking distance of one another provided you don't have walking problems. The main problem is to decide on what you most want to see especially if you want to go inside places. I'd recommend getting off the ship asap if you want to go to the Topkapi Palace and go there first and get in before the groups.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://mappery.com/maps/Istanbul-Tourist-Map-2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://mappery.com/map-of/Istanbul-Tourist-Map-2&h=1073&w=1197&sz=1277&tbnid=85Ejb8rUBqEdiM:&tbnh=81&tbnw=90&zoom=1&usg=__NuYQ1wU7CjChRQy5PrEkv5uW3ss=&docid=kZvJfDpYiofpOM&sa=X&ei=iLyXUfWJE6qG4ASlq4DgBQ&ved=0CD0Q9QEwAA&dur=1148

It's possible to see all of these - perhaps go in the Topkapi (but pay extra to go into the Harem as that's the most impressive part), go inside the Blue Mosque (free but avoid prayers) and then just wander and pull in the rest as you find your way back to the ship. It's fabulous - have confidence it's so easy to DiY. Enjoy!

Thank you:)

I have also looked at pre buying attraction tickets for Istanbul, saves waiting in queues :)

many thanks for all these valuable infos guys

I'm busy planning for this cruise

anyone done a trip on the bosphorus...would that be easy to arrange locally?

Can't help with the local trips on the Bosphorus Geo - but have you been to Istanbul before? If not unless you have a special interest I think there is much more to see in the city.

We also sailed along the Bosphorus on the way into the Black Sea - on the ship of course not an excursion. You see the Dolmabache Palace on the waterfront and the bridge over to the Asian side and of course in a smallboat with a guide it could be very interesting but personally I wouldn't do that in preference to getting into the city. You might be looking for something a bit more relaxing and restful though in which case it sounds like a good option.

I've just spotted this HoHo bus site for Istanbul - looks as though there are combined bus/Bosphorus trips. They look very reasonable too. might be of interest to you.

http://www.city-discovery.com/istanbul/hop_on_and_off_tours?gclid=CKul-tmLo7cCFVMftAodE3kAEw

Don't know whether you will sail in or out through the Dardanelles in day-light but we had a very interesting and moving commentary about the Gallipoli campaign from the CD. So if that's an option I'd recommend you are on deck for that.

Also the sail away from Istanbul is magical - you see the Mosques, Minarets and domes on the skyline - very photogenic. Another recommendation to be on deck! ;)

many thanks for all these valuable infos guys

I'm busy planning for this cruise

anyone done a trip on the bosphorus...would that be easy to arrange locally?

We did the Thomson Boat trip on the Bosphorous. We were lucky & were there for a day & a half so did it on our 2nd day. It was a lovely, very relaxing trip but if the choice is between visiting the city OR the Bosphorous trip, I would head to the city - I have to say, Istanbul is now on my list of favourite cities! If you can do both then do so ; it would make a relaxing afternoon after seeing the sites of Istanbul in the morning!

Fabulous info Big Paul, thanks a million.

We're travelling on Monday 3rd June & getting excited!!

I need as much pre-cruise info on Ancient Wonders as poss as I'm still learning the cruise experience & although this will be my 4th Thomson cruise, it will be my hubbys FIRST cruise.

Thanks to the posts on this thread, I'm gaining confidence, so big thanks to all posters x.

Archived