Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GNisme

Beware of calls made at Sea on Alaska cruise

When we were on our Alaska cruise, our cell phone worked most of the time, so we made and accepted calls. There was nothing on the cellphone saying we were in international area, the cellphone just worked. When I was in Ensenada, Mexico they wouldn't let me make a call because I was out of the country. Well that's not the case with Canada obviously. I was charged 1.98 per minute, even for calls that were dropped, and didn't go through. Beware of what part of the ocean you are in when at sea making phone calls. I didn't get charged for calls that were made in port in Alaska (except normal airtime), just calls made at sea, apparently in Canadian waters. $98 for 49 mins and that include 11+ mins were in drop calls. I did try calling the cell phone company but I could never get through 611. :mad:

Thanks for the 411 (excuse the pun) ;)

Who is your carrier? Verizon / Cingular / __________

Thanks again :)

I didn't know if I was aloud to say, but I guess I can try, it is Cingular. I did call them to complain about the bill and they cut the extra charges by 50%. So I got a credit of $48. They said because so many people travel from Washington to Alaska through Canada, they let the calls go through. FYI

Also please see the other thread on this issue. There is a GREAT explanation of what some of the cruise lines have done. It appears it is what they have done ICW Cingular providing service at sea through cell tower ON THE SHIP. It is probably a lot more expensive to provide so the charge is more. And no current cellular plans have "at sea" coverage, so anyone using it would get zapped. Still cheaper than "ship to shore" phoning!!!!

Here is the link to the other thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=192275

The calls I made at sea in Alaska or US waters, I was not charged for, just the calls in Canadian waters. The Cell phone company confirmed this.