puddles99

Cruisin' Like a Hawaiian - Pride of America 05.04.2013 Review

How was the food in the main dining room? It wasn't very good on our January cruise so we switched to specialty restaurants for the last 4 nights of the cruise. We talked with ship officers about it several times and they were very gracious and interested in our comments.

We didn't spend much time in the MDR, to be honest, but our experience there was a positive one. As you mention, the ship's officers welcome feedback and do try to address any issues brought to their attention.

Great review and pictures! I'm looking to start planning our trip for Jan '15, so much info to go through and lots of decisions to make. :eek:

Lots of decisions - but it will be a ton of time! If you think of any questions I can try to help answer, please just let me know. Our trip was amazing not only because of the time we put in researching, but also because of all of the great information I found here, on TripAdvisor, and of course a sense of humor goes a LONG way :D.

Thank you for the review! I feel that this cruise will soon be planned for myself!

Carnival Elation May 18, 2013

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Did I miss the rest of this review ? It seems to have just stopped in the middle .

It's all here, Cousin! See page 4 for Big Island and Kaua'i, page 5 Circle Island Tour Oahu and sad goodbyes plus epilogue. I think we just all wanted it to keep on going forevah ;) because it is soooo good!

Thank you for the review! I feel that this cruise will soon be planned for myself!

I hope you "take the plunge" - its a great way to explore the islands. :)

Did I miss the rest of this review ? It seems to have just stopped in the middle .

Sorry if it seemed a little choppy - I couldn't get the entire thing & all pics uploaded in one sitting. It's all here though & I just got the dailies scanned and added a link to those as well.

It's all here, Cousin! See page 4 for Big Island and Kaua'i, page 5 Circle Island Tour Oahu and sad goodbyes plus epilogue. I think we just all wanted it to keep on going forevah ;) because it is soooo good!

Awwww, you're too sweet. Isn't it so sad that all good things must come to an end? Now it's back to worky, worky so I can pay for my next getaway! :D

So for the specialty restaurants, the cover charge covered all of your meal expenses?

Carnival Elation May 18, 2013

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

So for the specialty restaurants, the cover charge covered all of your meal expenses?

Yes, with two exceptions:

- Alcoholic beverages or soda

- Multiple entrees

You can select more than one app or dessert, but you're limited to one entree. O course, if you have an issue with the entree, they'll gladly correct it or bring you something different.

Thank you for the Dailies. Your review was great. I can not wait till I am on the POA in 16 days.

Hope you have a BLAST!!! :D

I thought I couldn't BE more excited about our upcoming POA cruise, and your posts have definitely given me some great ideas! We're going with my sister and BIL, and it'll be our 10th anniversary... absolutely once in a lifetime. Thanks so much for the reviews and suggestions!

Enjoying your review so far! :) I followed you from out Gem Roll Call, I am only on page 3 but I wanted to get my comment in.

I really hope to do this cruise sometime soon. I have been to Hawaii before (back in the late 90's) but it was on a much older ship (built in the 60's I think).

The Captain at the time had planned to do a lava sail by type thing but something delayed us in port that day and he was in a hurry to get to the next port so we didn't have the time, he had to go a different route. So we never got to see any Lava but it was neat to see in your pics.

I thought I couldn't BE more excited about our upcoming POA cruise, and your posts have definitely given me some great ideas! We're going with my sister and BIL, and it'll be our 10th anniversary... absolutely once in a lifetime. Thanks so much for the reviews and suggestions!

Oh how wonderful - Congratulations on your anniversary! Have a fantastic adventure!

Enjoying your review so far! :) I followed you from out Gem Roll Call, I am only on page 3 but I wanted to get my comment in.

I really hope to do this cruise sometime soon. I have been to Hawaii before (back in the late 90's) but it was on a much older ship (built in the 60's I think).

The Captain at the time had planned to do a lava sail by type thing but something delayed us in port that day and he was in a hurry to get to the next port so we didn't have the time, he had to go a different route. So we never got to see any Lava but it was neat to see in your pics.

Keep an eye on http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/activity/kilaueastatus.php and the Hawaii Port of Call Forum to track the current flow. Most of last year, there was no visible flow from off shore but it started up again in December (if I recall correctly). It was a fantastic sight to see.

Great review and pictures!!! I am just staring my research for my trip in 2015 for my 45th bday. Your report is a great kickstart for me!!!

Great review and pictures!!! I am just staring my research for my trip in 2015 for my 45th bday. Your report is a great kickstart for me!!!

Oh what fun! You will have an amazing time . . . if you think of any questions, ask away; there are many of us who would love to me of help if there's any way we can.

Puddles99

You may be the only one who knows when MODERNO CHURRASCARIA will open on POA. NCL website says it's finished but ‘What’s on board?” does not list it. I have read your prior postings "Moderno is now open and it looks beautiful! We hope you enjoy dining in there during your cruise!" Now I read about your cruise and your 5/19/13 posting with the following brief statement, "The crew on board has no control over what corporate does or says - including the mis-information about Moderno."

Can you provide some details?

Thank you so much.

Thank you for the great pictures and review. Just booked this cruise for Sept. Can't wait. We are spending a few days before in Honolulu, any other suggestions you can offer? For instance, you didn't rent a car, can we easily walk around to sightsee, or will a car be necessary? By the way we were on the sun also last April! Small world

Puddles99

You may be the only one who knows when MODERNO CHURRASCARIA will open on POA. NCL website says it's finished but ‘What’s on board?” does not list it. I have read your prior postings "Moderno is now open and it looks beautiful! We hope you enjoy dining in there during your cruise!" Now I read about your cruise and your 5/19/13 posting with the following brief statement, "The crew on board has no control over what corporate does or says - including the mis-information about Moderno."

Can you provide some details?

Thank you so much.

Here's what I know:

Corporate said it was open - but it wasn't. Apparently when I asked, they checked the construction schedule, saw that it should have been done, and told me it was. I'd heard rumors that it wasn't, and that was confirmed when we boarded. It was not open and the best on-board estimate was that it would be another week or so.

Let me email the on-board head of Guest Services and see if I can get an update - stay tuned!

Thank you for the great pictures and review. Just booked this cruise for Sept. Can't wait. We are spending a few days before in Honolulu, any other suggestions you can offer? For instance, you didn't rent a car, can we easily walk around to sightsee, or will a car be necessary? By the way we were on the sun also last April! Small world

It really depends what you want to do & see. There are lots of things walkable from Waikiki and if you're looking for some down time on the beach, no transportation is necessary. We chose activities that included transportation for anything additional we wanted to do. It just requires a bit of research.

Do you know what you'd like to do? If so, let me know and I'll be happy to share any research or advice I have on the topic. I'm sure you'll have a great time!

The Brazil Steakhouse opened a week ago yesterday (Thursday), on the POAm.

Chuck

Edited by Molokai-Chuck

The Brazil Steakhouse opened a week ago yesterday (Thursday), on the POAm.

Chuck

Awesome - thank you for the update!

To confirm the good info that Chuck already posted, I just got this response to my email inquiry:

I remember you! Yes, Moderno is complete and has been in operation for two weeks now. We certainly appreciate you providing helpful information so others can have a great experience on our ship. Take care and all the best!

Thank you,

Sayeed Razavi | Guest Service Manager

Have I mentioned how AWESOME the on-board team is? :D

Thanks for the review. We booked this trip for November. We will be in an aft 2 bedroom family suite. So excited, especially after reading your review and seeing your pictures.

Thanks for the review. We booked this trip for November. We will be in an aft 2 bedroom family suite. So excited, especially after reading your review and seeing your pictures.

I'm sure you'll have a blast! All if the renovations are scheduled to be done by then so you'll have lots of new areas to explore in board. Enjoy your adventure!

Sent from my iPhone using the Cruise Critic App

Puddles99... A big Mahalo to you for your great postings and such from your trip on the POAm.

I really appreciate the postings of the dallies!

Next month is my turn on the ship....

Aloha,

Chuck and Mary

What was the second snorkling excursion you went on?

Second on the ship or second of the trip? Our snorkeling excursions in order were:

• Hanuama Bay (through Hanuama Bay Snorkel Adventures, pre-cruise)
  • Molokini Crater / Turtle Town (Pacific Whale Foundation / booked through NCL)
  • Kealakekua Bay (Captain Zodiac Adventure / booked through NCL)

Loved your POA review, mahalo!! :D

What did you think of Moana Surfrider?? Would you recommend staying there? :cool:

puddles99 - WOW thanks for putting together such a great review. It has certainly given me much to look forward to.

We're taking our first cruise onboard the POA departing Honolulu 3rd August 2013 - V, V Excited.

We're travelling out from England to Oahu via a 4 night stop in San Fransisco. Arriving in Honolulu 30th July 2013 for a 4 night stay in Waikiki before POA cruise.

BIG trip of a life time - to celebrate my 40th (2nd August), other half turned 50 (18th February), oh & we thought we'd do the deed & tie the knot whilst in Waikiki!!!!!

So, we're all set, but your posts have given us lots of info & it's greatly appreciated.

Just wondering if you have a direct contact email address for pre-cruise concierge, and also for Guest Service or Cruise Director onboard as I'd like to get in touch with them as our 1st cruise will also be our honeymoon!!!!!!! WOOOOOHOOOOOO

Any info you can pass on would be greatly appreciated.

Loved your POA review, mahalo!! :D

What did you think of Moana Surfrider?? Would you recommend staying there? :cool:

We really liked "The First Lady of Waikiki" and would stay there again. It's a beautiful hotel with a lot of character & nice amenities. I would recommend reading reviews on TripAdvisor and/or Yelp in advance to understand some of the perspectives on the "historic" vs. "modern" wings. We stayed in the historic wing, right near the business center and honestly, it was fine. We slept well, enjoyed the chaise window seat, and really loved sitting out in the rockers on the hotel's front porch.

Just wondering if you have a direct contact email address for pre-cruise concierge, and also for Guest Service or Cruise Director onboard as I'd like to get in touch with them as our 1st cruise will also be our honeymoon!!!!!!! WOOOOOHOOOOOO

Any info you can pass on would be greatly appreciated.

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS!!! :) Will you be staying in a suite? If so, the pre-cruise concierge may reach out to you closer to your sail date. You can also reach out to them proactively, if you prefer. Be sure to include your reservation number in the subject of the email. The email address is: NorwegianConciergeDesk@ncl.com

Unfortunately, the personal email addresses for the onboard crew aren't published publicly and I wouldn't want to disclose those without their permission. With that said, the pre-cruise concierge will be able to help you with most everything that can be arranged in advance and also note your reservation about items that cannot be done until you're aboard.

Enjoy your adventure!

We have been on POM four times and are scheduled to go again in October. We have the largest suite, SB on deck 12 and three other SG suites on the same deck. Are they finished? If you did get a chance to see them, I would love to know how they came out.

We will be celebrating one of our kid's 10th Anniversary (kids are in their 50s) and are using the little beach in Kauai near Dukes Bar. Does the tram still take you there? Otherwise I need to arrange transportation for 8! I guess the concierge will do that if I have to!

I am looking forward to the new restaurants. I am from Hawaii, so any chance I get to go back--I go!

Thanks for everything.

Carole

We have been on POM four times and are scheduled to go again in October. We have the largest suite, SB on deck 12 and three other SG suites on the same deck. Are they finished? If you did get a chance to see them, I would love to know how they came out.

We will be celebrating one of our kid's 10th Anniversary (kids are in their 50s) and are using the little beach in Kauai near Dukes Bar. Does the tram still take you there? Otherwise I need to arrange transportation for 8! I guess the concierge will do that if I have to!

I am looking forward to the new restaurants. I am from Hawaii, so any chance I get to go back--I go!

Thanks for everything.

Carole

Thank you for your kind words & many apologies for the delayed response . . .

The deck 13 renovations are still underway and to the best of my knowledge, deck 12 remains closed. It was definitely closed during our sailing. Sorry I can't be of more help with that! There is still a cute little trolley that runs from the ship to the shops (and Duke's) on a pretty regular basis. It's also an easy walk, if your crew is up for it. I hope you have a wonderful trip!

on the beach there in front of Dukes, and her gown is white, so I think she might want the tram! LOL. You did a magnificent review. Mahalo

Thank you for posting this wonderful review. We honeymooned in Hawaii and are looking at this cruise to celebrate our 5th anniversary next year. We need to wait a few more months to see where life will be at, but I am getting excited starting to look at possibilities. :D

Thank you for the great report and pictures. I appreciate hearing from someone who did excursions as opposed to renting a car, since that is what we're planning to do on our October cruise.

One question...did you book the Ncl snorkeling excursions ahead of time, or on board? I'd rather wait if we can, since we need to see how much energy we'll have after several other long excursions that we're planning. On the other hand I wouldn't want to be locked out if we decided to go while on the ship.

Thanks again for all the good info. you've provided!

Fran

One question...did you book the Ncl snorkeling excursions ahead of time, or on board? I'd rather wait if we can, since we need to see how much energy we'll have after several other long excursions that we're planning. On the other hand I wouldn't want to be locked out if we decided to go while on the ship.

We had booked them ahead of time, but were able to make a change on board when we realized we'd made the mistake with Molokini. Those two snorkeling excursions are very popular and I wouldn't be surprised to hear if they sold out. However, I doubt they sell out before the cruise since I've heard that they only make a certain percentage of capacity available for prebooking.

Wonderful review, we are hoping this will be our 25th wedding anniv trip in a couple of years!

Since you mentioned having daughters, do you have any suggestions to get an 8 year old swimming resistant daughter to safely try snorkeling when we go to the Western Carib. next April? I'd love for her to try, but I think that and the zip line is going to be a tough sell for her.

And I assume your trip on the breakaway is to Bermuda? We went last year and it's not well known, but there is an awesome free walking tour offered by the visitor's center in St. George. Very informative, and it was timed to the wench dunking also. I also loved going to the Perfumery, beautiful old building & they did a great job quickly explaining the process and it's a lovely souvenir to bring home. Loved Bermuda!

Awesome to have these new ships so close to home, we are thinking of taking our daughters on the Quantum of the Seas for spring break 2015. Thx!

Edited by mommaof 3

Wonderful review, we are hoping this will be our 25th wedding anniv trip in a couple of years!

Oh I hope you're able to do it - it's just a wonderful experience!

Since you mentioned having daughters, do you have any suggestions to get an 8 year old swimming resistant daughter to safely try snorkeling when we go to the Western Carib. next April? I'd love for her to try, but I think that and the zip line is going to be a tough sell for her.

My youngest is 8 as well. She's a pretty proficient swimmer, but the idea of being "stranded" in deep water or far from shore scares her. She has her own floatation vest, but is still wary. This fall, we're planning two private snorkeling excursions via boat and I expect that she'll take some coaxing to give it a go. We'll try a pool noodle, buddy system, and will keep encouraging her to try. But if she isn't confident, we'll just take turns hanging with her on the boat. That's a better option than having her panic in the water.

She's also hesitant about zipping, but her big sister cannot wait! We selected a zip line in Samana (through Terry's Tours) that allows for double-zipping and I fully expect that she'll be doubled with DH and I. I picked that particular experience based on reviews and knowing the chance of her zipping alone is slim to none.

And I assume your trip on the breakaway is to Bermuda? We went last year and it's not well known, but there is an awesome free walking tour offered by the visitor's center in St. George. Very informative, and it was timed to the wench dunking also. I also loved going to the Perfumery, beautiful old building & they did a great job quickly explaining the process and it's a lovely souvenir to bring home. Loved Bermuda!

What awesome tips - thank you!