Cruise Critic Community
luckybelle

Check your cabin on the Sunshine!

We are booked on the Sunshine for July 7th - we booked nearly a year ago in order to get connecting balcony cabins because we have three small kids. I got a call today about a possible upgrade and in the course of that discussion found out that our cabins were no longer connected due to changes made during the drydock (that are still not reflected on the website deck plan), and after nearly 3 hours on the phone with them found out that not only do they not connect, but that the triple cabin had been switched to a double during the renovations and the cabins we booked would no longer accomodate us!

Although I am incredibly frustrated with Carnival, I am glad that by chance we found out about it before we boarded the ship. It was clear that Carnival would not have figured it out and notified us before then otherwise (the person on the phone said as much). They were able to move us to other cabins - not connecting which is annoying, but at least we all have a bed. So if you are in a connecting cabin or a triple on the Sunshine in an area that was renovated, you may want to call and make sure nothing has changed!

We are booked on the Sunshine for July 7th - we booked nearly a year ago in order to get connecting balcony cabins because we have three small kids. I got a call today about a possible upgrade and in the course of that discussion found out that our cabins were no longer connected due to changes made during the drydock (that are still not reflected on the website deck plan), and after nearly 3 hours on the phone with them found out that not only do they not connect, but that the triple cabin had been switched to a double during the renovations and the cabins we booked would no longer accomodate us!

Although I am incredibly frustrated with Carnival, I am glad that by chance we found out about it before we boarded the ship. It was clear that Carnival would not have figured it out and notified us before then otherwise (the person on the phone said as much). They were able to move us to other cabins - not connecting which is annoying, but at least we all have a bed. So if you are in a connecting cabin or a triple on the Sunshine in an area that was renovated, you may want to call and make sure nothing has changed!

There's some weird stuff going on with that ship for sure. Luckily my cabin didn't exist before the drydock so I'm fairly confident It'll be as advertised for all three of us when we get there.

We didn't have to pay extra, but we didn't get the connecting cabins we booked, and I will certainly never get those three hours of my life back! I don't know how they found two side by side balcony cabins just down the hall from our original location, but I figure there was some behind the scenes finagling those hours I was on hold.

Does anyone know if the balcony dividers on the Sunshine can be opened?

We didn't have to pay extra, but we didn't get the connecting cabins we booked, and I will certainly never get those three hours of my life back! I don't know how they found two side by side balcony cabins just down the hall from our original location, but I figure there was some behind the scenes finagling those hours I was on hold.

Does anyone know if the balcony dividers on the Sunshine can be opened?

That IMO is unacceptable service. I don't understand why knowing that cabins had been changed, they wouldn't somehow go through the bookings to make sure this type of thing doesn't happen. What would they have done had you not called and just showed up to the port and not had a room to accommodate the right number of people.

This is why carnival continues to get bad publicity. The customer should not have to call to find out that carnival knew that cabins had been changed yet didn't correct the bookings or notify the customer.

Edited by BeachChik

To be honest, I don't think they realized the whole issue until about an hour into our discussion which I could not believe. At first they told me the cabins were never connecting (despite the fact that the website deck plan continues to show them as connecting) and that the one cabin would have a trundle. It was only after a while and the involvement of a supervisor that they realized that the cabins had been changed unexpectedly during dry dock. When they realized that the one cabin would not hold the three that were booked in it, I was on hold for about an hour and a half while they found other cabins. If I had not called we would not have found out until we boarded. That's why I posted to save others some possible aggravation on the first day of their vacation!

To be honest, I don't think they realized the whole issue until about an hour into our discussion which I could not believe. At first they told me the cabins were never connecting (despite the fact that the website deck plan continues to show them as connecting) and that the one cabin would have a trundle. It was only after a while and the involvement of a supervisor that they realized that the cabins had been changed unexpectedly during dry dock. When they realized that the one cabin would not hold the three that were booked in it, I was on hold for about an hour and a half while they found other cabins. If I had not called we would not have found out until we boarded. That's why I posted to save others some possible aggravation on the first day of their vacation!

THAT is just crazy! Sadly it reminds me of the mess we had with our 9A on the Dream when the divider was put in the wrong place. :eek: Here is that thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1065513

Glad you got it all worked out - it would have really been a nightmare if you'd not known until you were on board. :eek:

Hope you have an awesome cruise!

Edited by happy cruzin

Just curious as to how a 3 person cabin becomes a 2 person cabin? I thought all the balcony cabins had the sofa in there??? Or were you in another type of cabin before the switch?

We are in spa balcony cabins on 10, and I assumed they all had sofas, but perhaps some don't convert to beds? When we booked the two side by side cabins one held 2 people and the other held 3. Now they both say they have a 2 passenger max. Perhaps they changed the furniture as well as changing which cabins connect? I just hope they have it right now!

We are in spa balcony cabins on 10, and I assumed they all had sofas, but perhaps some don't convert to beds? When we booked the two side by side cabins one held 2 people and the other held 3. Now they both say they have a 2 passenger max. Perhaps they changed the furniture as well as changing which cabins connect? I just hope they have it right now!

there is definetely a difference in size of a regular sofa and a convertible sofa (which is the size of a twin bed).

A regular sofa is shorter, and I would not want to sleep on it.

This ship should have rollaways though, unless they are now gone and could have been put in a cabin for 2 I would have thought, but maybe the cabins you had, had restrictions on them.

I'm so happy for you that your issue was resolved! Your nic is true to it's name!

I strongly suspect that there was some swift movement of other passengers, hence the extra hour on that phone call.

I used to love Carnival and would rave to anyone who would listen, but now there are far too many stories like this that make promoting Carnival impossible.

I'm extremely happy that you discovered and resolved this issue, thwarting a potentially disastrous vacation.

Thank you for giving the rest of us a heads-up!

I wondered how the two side by side cabins became available, but I didn't think they were able to move other passengers and they told methat several times when we were trying to resolve the connecting cabin issue before they realized we also had a capacity issue. The locations of the cabins are quite similiar, so perhaps that helped? If they were calling people, it certainly explains why I was on hold for so long!

I wondered how the two side by side cabins became available, but I didn't think they were able to move other passengers and they told methat several times when we were trying to resolve the connecting cabin issue before they realized we also had a capacity issue. The locations of the cabins are quite similiar, so perhaps that helped? If they were calling people, it certainly explains why I was on hold for so long!

Maybe some people had booked the rate where Carnival chooses your room for you. I don't really know, since as it turns out I am no cruise scientist. I am super glad the OP did get some resolution though! Carnival canceled my cruise a few weeks ago, but it was no big problem, especially compared to this.

It's possible that the reason it took 3 hours on the phone was they were calling people to see if they were willing to move. I got one of those calls one, although it was Princess, not Carnival. Princess called me asking if we'd be willing to move to a cabin that had twin beds that couldn't be put together to make a king. I agreed because I was traveling with my daughter. this was just a few days before sailing so the ship was probably sold out and someone else wanted beds together.

According to goccl (the travel agent site), some balconies do connect but not all. I'd need cabin number to check but I don't know how up to date even goccl is.

WOW what a great attitude you have. Some, not all, people would have been here telling us they will never sail on Carnival again because of this and try and convince all of us to stop sailing on them too.

I think your children are going to grow up this fine with you as a role model.

Don't know how great of an example I would have set if we had shown up at the port in Barcelona and had cabins that would not accommodate us!! As it is, I am not thrilled with Carnival customer service and not happy about sailing for 12 days without connecting cabins, but I am well aware that it could have been a lot worse.

Just curious - what 'were' your cabin numbers on deck 10? We are sailing 6/28 and we too are 'supposed' to have connecting cabins...now I wonder :confused:

WOW what a great attitude you have. Some, not all, people would have been here telling us they will never sail on Carnival again because of this and try and convince all of us to stop sailing on them too.

I think your children are going to grow up this fine with you as a role model.

All cruise lines are going to have some problems and obviously Carnival's had quite a number of them recently...hopefully they will be getting most of them under control...the most important thing with problems is how the Cruise Line handles them overall...not any one instance. Cruise Critic members will be helping the Cruise Lines with some problems of which they may not be aware, and with details and the reaction of their passengers. Carnival easily has the most information available...though sometimes it may require some digging...and sometimes it may require correction.

:):):):)

Edited by cruiseclues

We were originally in 10120 and 10122, with 3 in one cabin and 2 in the other. When we booked in July 2012 (based on what they said was the post-refurb deck plan), these rooms were connecting and one was a double and the other a triple - this was hugely important to us on a 12 night cruise with 3 young children. These rooms are evidently now not connecting and both only hold 2 guests. They somehow managed, after a 3 hour call, to move us into side by side cabins down the hall. I have no idea how, since when we first got on the call the only side by side cabins available were on Deck 1. I am just hoping that we might be able to open up the balconies between our new cabins.

We had the same problem and on the same July 7th date. We booked over a year ago and booked two connecting cabins on deck 10 as well. The "upgrade fairy" called to offer to upgrade us to a suite, though for WAY too expensive a price for us but for kicks I went online to check it out. That's when I noticed that our cabins were no longer connecting. They also gave us the "they were never connected" line, but I had the original picture that showed otherwise. I was on hold for 45 minutes. In the end, they did get us two connecting rooms but we had to move up to deck 11, so I am thankful for the customer service in the end.

Can I ask when you discovered the problem? It may have been sooner than us, but if not, I want to know what magic you worked with customer service that motivated them to find two connecting cabins! The only ones they offered when we called were oceanview on Deck 1 and I really didn't want to make that change, although now I am wondering if I should have.

It was about a week ago. I was pretty persistent. Also, had the backup picture of the connecting cabins and the fact that it was their booking person who assured me that they were in fact connecting. They did have to call other people and move them around.

I would say try again, different person may get you a different outcome. I saw on my diagram that most of the connecting cabins were different from what they are currently posting. My guess is that we aren't alone in this problem.

Best of Luck

Thanks, that is good to know. We were in exactly the same situation last Thursday (and in fact they probably called us about the same suite uprade after you turned it down), but they told me they couldn't move anyone and only moved us at all because of the capacity issue. Perhaps I will try again. I feel like they should try, particularly because it was clearly their mistake, and because not having a connecting cabin really makes a big difference on a 12 night cruise with 3 small kids. This is our first time on carnival in almost 15 years (we have cruised other lines in the interim), and so maybe they were less willing to make the effort for us.